An Open Letter to PTI Supporters

indigo

Siasat.pk - Blogger
Dear Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaafs supporters,

This is something that Ive wanted to write about for long.

Im not a supporter of PTI but I am miffed at many of you who are, and no, this is not another in the long list of posts written by victims of the trolls. This is about the general, average PTI supporter that I have come across. (Now, now. You may say these are just a handful, but what matters is, they are still there).

With the rise of PTI there has been inevitable and palpable rise in your numbers; its supporters, their visibility and their displays of support to the party.

There is nothing at fault with this, it is only vital to the cultivation of a democratic culture of political choice, participation and support in a developing democracy like Pakistan.

Talking of democracy, and this is where my problem with you appears.

Urban PTI supporters, by their sheer force of numbers and assertions of party support, have created, consciously or unconsciously, an environment of fear, uneasiness and reluctance for others to openly declare or admit their differing political choice of another party.

This reluctance and uneasiness lies in your attitude.

There is an air of self-righteousness about many of you, which seems to stem from your support for Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf.
Here is a revelation: every single citizen of Pakistan has the prosperity and progress of Pakistan in both his heart and mind when chosing a political party to support. Supporting a different party does not make him to be a Pakistani who wants it any less than the supporter of another party, which in your case, is PTI. It does not make him an unintelligent individual who must, and must, be voting for the other party on the basis of ignorance, ethnicity, religion, sect orbiraderi.

Nor do you, by the virtue of being a PTI supporter, become a better, more patriotic or a more wise Pakistani than others.

Another question that I have and continue to frequently face from you is Why dont you support the change?
The change has been converted, by you, into one that is synonymous with Imran Khan.

Another realization knock: change is a very subjective word. What may constitute change for you, may not constitute change for me. Imran Khan is the torch-bearer of change for you, and with all due respect and my admiration for him as a cricketer and a philanthropist, I do not subscribe to his political ideology. And if I state this as a reason for not supporting the change, it is best that you accept it.

And in contrast to what many of you tend to turn to as a course, it gives you absolutely no right to corner, mock, intimidate or question another partys supporter for having a political choice dissimilar to yours.

No voter is accountable to any other voter for his own political choices; he is neither bound to justify those to him nor is he obliged to feel awkward or uncomfortable for having a political party that seems to have lowered in mainstream popularity or in your/his eyes.

As supporters of PTI, you have been at the forefront of canvassing for your partys candidates and convincing others to vote PTI. What you must realize is that there is a difference between convincing and forceful political proselytizing.

If I havent asked to be convinced, and dont push you to support my party and have already made up my mind, kindly cease the over-assertive attempts at my conversion from your high horse.

Everyone has the provision of a single privilege, by which he exercises his prerogative of a voter one person has only one vote;and to you, your vote, to me, mine.

I wholeheartedly respect your political pick, you respect mine.

At the end of the day, you must realize that you are not doing anyone a favor by this attitude which you have adopted. Especially not your own party.

What you must realize is that difference of political opinion and choice is a natural composition of the political landscape of any country wishing to espouse democracy, and as we inch towards its establishment, it will be the sooner the better that we all come to accept and adapt to it with tolerance and respect.

Heres wishing these elections help and heal Pakistan, and we begin to mature ourselves as citizens, party supporters, voter and above all, Pakistanis.

With regards,

Another partys voter,

Hafsa Khawaja.

http://hafsakhawaja.wordpress.com/2013/05/08/an-open-letter-to-pti-supporters/

FahadBhatti

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Does it apply to a PTI supporter only?

The emergence of PTI as a third force has dented hopes of the Nooners who were thinking that it is going to be an easy ride and hence the fear is there because of the riding popularity of PTI. PTI supporters ask questions from Nooners and PPers and they usually have no answers. We should respect each other though , but this behaviour of disrespect is in every party. No need to point fingers.

Citizen X

President (40k+ posts)
I refuse to believe that any sane person in his right frame of mind can support these corrupt status quo parties, so the argument that people supporting them truly believe they are voting for the betterment of the country, so the whole argument is moot from my point of view.

jeelu

Minister (2k+ posts)
every supporter thinks his party is the best and he tries to convince others pti party members are no different its just they are more passionate and they want to change this system so badly that they aggressively and passionately both oppose and convince people at the same time.

now if you dont support pti its ok but if you support the party which is in a person's opinion a reason pakistan is getting destroyed then that person will try to convince you in any way possible to not support that party and now you will ask why coz its his right to support any party he wants?
then il say ok if you want to go and jump in the well do it by urself but if by your jumping in the well the well gets dirty i will stop you coz i am not doing it for u i m doing it for myself in this certain case il say pti supporters think that coz these parties have took turns to damage pakistan and if again someone destroys it like zardari did during his tenure then pakistan is destined to doom coz we are at the brink
now this country is not just yours to throw into the pit its our aswell and we will not sit by idly and let you elect a person who will do more harm then good to this country. coz its obvious coz if this country fails we all fail.

and as far as forceful proselytizing is concerned then as i told you if this country fails we all do so everyone tries to convince people to chose a better option every party does this but as u mentioned pti is in a strong number it feels as if they are doing it a bit more.

and no one is pointing a knife at your throat bro we will try to convince you to vote for a better person rather then a corrupt person but we are not gona go in polling booths pointing a gun at u and forcing u to vote for pti unlike a certain party we know ;)

and if we have a difference of opinion we will argue on it and we will try to convince u till the last minute possible to vote for pti and if we leave everyone that oh man its his choice jus respect it then i dont think there will be any change

coz in this respect all we will get is two parties playing game of thrones in pakistan and that aswell in turns

and i agree we should tolerate and respect but as long as there is difference of opinion we all will try to convince each other to have the same view as us that how human society works.

Jami786

MPA (400+ posts)
This is a revelation to me and many others like me that person who votes on the basis of ignorance, ethinicity, sect or baradri is not unintellligent as explained in your following words.

Supporting a different party does not make him to be a Pakistani who wants it any less than the supporter of another party, which in your case, is PTI.
It does not make him an unintelligent individual who must, and must, be voting for the other party on the basis of
ignorance, ethnicity, religion, sect or biraderi.

Nor do you, by the virtue of being a PTI supporter, become a better, more patriotic or a more wise Pakistani than others.

optimistic

Senator (1k+ posts)
The difference is PTI is not just a political party but its an institute, and when you belong to an institute you are a little touchy about it, specially when this institute has given you a hope to live, thats not the case with other parties, their supporters are just the voters who come out only in the days of elections (most of them), they dun ever feel to be the part of this party, there is a Gap between them and the party as well as the party leadership. They are not loved by their leaders and hence dun have much to offer in return. However that is not the case with PTI and thats y you see their anger and outrageousness when they smell negative criticism they knock you down with bouncers :P

Lil'Genius

Minister (2k+ posts)
...and I am still finding what topic starter wanted to say. All I can read was, trying to be over smart by showing individuality. No offence !

optimistic

Senator (1k+ posts)
And this abusive behaviour by some is the result of flaws in our society such as education and oppression etc, and the ones responsible for all of this are your beloved leaders and you people(who being in majority in past) used to elect them...elect them again and bring more destruction in education, governance, law, everything :angry_smile:

Zaidi Qasim

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)

In the midth of an earthquake, a wish for a quiteness,calm and stability is not rational. A heavy responsibility lies on the upper tier leadership to educate, reform and moderate the views of the lower and bottom membership. The tolerance is the fundamental basis of any democrate and unfortunately, it is diminishing each minute as we get closer to the elections.

khanaman

Senator (1k+ posts)
I agree, but it is not limited to PTI supporters. I encounter many of my close friends supporting other parties who are also doing the same and in political discussions seam to believe they are on higher intellectual ground. So its actually a general phenomenon. The only reason it becomes pronounced and identified with PTI is because of the sheer quantum of its web based supporters. We all know on the internet PTI supporters outnumber other parties by a distance. Otherwise the attitude is the same across all parties support base. Having said that i do agree we need to be more tolerant and should respect the opinion of each other.

farooqak

Minister (2k+ posts)
What is your point dear?

A PTI supporter is emotionally charged. Is that a fault or sin?
Since when is it wrong or aggressive to ask someone who they support? Is that a sin as well?

When there is no electricity, jobs, gas shortage, who do we blame - the government? ourselves?
When there are drones coming on our head? suicide bombs? Who to blame? government? foreign policy if there is one?

A PTI supporter, voter, or fan simply is fed up of this nonsense going in the country. Resources are depleting daily, inflation is rising, 80 million are youth, what do you think is our future?

If people still think the old parties are the right choice, it is their choice, but it is a fundamental right to discuss political views and there is no rules to question a person why they support Nawaz? Zardari or Altaf?

PTI is only hope left to be honest. If things don't change, God help Pakistan. We don't believe any other party can help Pakistan

Woh din dur nahin jab ghareeb apka gala pakra ga sarak par

grow up

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
The difference is PTI is not just a political party but its an institute, and when you belong to an institute you are a little touchy about it, specially when this institute has given you a hope to live, thats not the case with other parties, their supporters are just the voters who come out only in the days of elections (most of them), they dun ever feel to be the part of this party, there is a Gap between them and the party as well as the party leadership. They are not loved by their leaders and hence dun have much to offer in return. However that is not the case with PTI and thats y you see their anger and outrageousness when they smell negative criticism they knock you down with bouncers :P

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

jazbati

MPA (400+ posts)
Simple logic to trolling and abuse is defined in this picture:

914208_457745427640955_403438123_o.png

Most of the internet users are PTI supporters, they behave the same way as the PMLN and other parties. But just because of ratio they are in headlines, and adding insult to injury, opponents have fake PTI IDs which I think just 100 - 200 are good enough to damage party reputation in a journalist mind.

Last edited: