Federal govt now plans micro smart lockdown to curb COVID-19 - Asad Umar

Will_Bite

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
I dont see how the govt can open everything full scale, and then expect Pakistani public to exercise restraint and follow SOPs.
Economy should not fully open up until a vaccine is developed. Specially for schools, marriage halls, movie theaters etc, places where people are actually expected to crowd around, should not be opened. If the situation backfires adn our graph rises back up, it will be impossible to get the country to go into another smart lockdown. Neither will our medical infrastructure be able to deal with it.
Govt should have shown some patience.

arafay

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
I dont see how the govt can open everything full scale, and then expect Pakistani public to exercise restraint and follow SOPs.
Economy should not fully open up until a vaccine is developed. Specially for schools, marriage halls, movie theaters etc, places where people are actually expected to crowd around, should not be opened. If the situation backfires adn our graph rises back up, it will be impossible to get the country to go into another smart lockdown. Neither will our medical infrastructure be able to deal with it.
Govt should have shown some patience.

public stopped following SOPs many months ago. I think Pakistan has achieved herd immunity. The virus has infected enough of the population that it cannot find new 'hosts' and as a result, the cases are declining. There is absolutely no other explanation for the continuous decline in cases since mid June.

I don't think that 70% of population was infected but 20-30% population has definitely been infected. Perhaps the herd immunity threshold for covid 19 was not 70% like the scientists predicted but closer to 25%. Even Sweden has shown a continuous decline in cases without any smart or total lock-downs.

Will_Bite

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
public stopped following SOPs many months ago. I think Pakistan has achieved herd immunity. The virus has infected enough of the population that it cannot find new 'hosts' and as a result, the cases are declining. There is absolutely no other explanation for the continuous decline in cases since mid June.

I don't think that 70% of population was infected but 20-30% population has definitely been infected. Perhaps the herd immunity threshold for covid 19 was not 70% like the scientists predicted but closer to 25%. Even Sweden has shown a continuous decline in cases without any smart or total lock-downs.

I find it hard to buy the 'herd immunity' argument, regardless of which country it refers to. If we follow the classic definition of herd immunity, then essentially we are admitting that Pakistan has had far more cases than have actually been reported. While that is pretty obvious, considering the limitations associated with testing, it also implies that many of the so called negative results may have been positive.

In any case, I am more concerned about school kids, and marriage halls. Kids have no sense of social distancing, and if a large number of kids end up getting infected, that would be devastating.