Foreign Minister Vs SHO

Okara

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)

Shah Mahmud is making PMIK'S selection wrong. SMQ wanted be SHO instead FM. I hope PMIK will fulfill his wish.

Last edited by a moderator:

Okara

What threats? He is asking the officer not to be rude with public -- that on the complaint of persons to whom the police officer was misbehaving.. At least dig out some substantial accusation on SMQ!!
This means a FM can guide a SHO better then his superior? If this true then why to have any officer in police above SHO and let local MNA or MPA guide him.
Can SMQ approach any Army officer without following chain of command?

Eyeaan

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
This means a FM can guide a SHO better then his superior? If this true then why to have any officer in police above SHO and let local MNA or MPA guide him.
No - a threat has to be with some material substance to it.
In this situation everyone, even you or I , will make such statements to placate and soothe the public sentiments. On the other hand, if police officer was really mistaken, then SMQ may , as a government member or MNA or as a citizen, demand police higher ups to look into the matter.
Here it is a public sentiment issue - and not of his personal interest or his ego. For a substantial threat, it should be about forcing for an illegal activity, asking for personal favors or about causing physical harm.

intekhab

Is that you talking OkarA.....?

Okara

No - a threat has to be with some material substance to it.
In this situation everyone, even you or I , will make such statements to placate and soothe the public sentiments. On the other hand, if police officer was really mistaken, then SMQ may , as a government member or MNA or as a citizen, demand police higher ups to look into the matter.
Here it is a public sentiment issue - and not of his personal interest or his ego. For a substantial threat, it should be about forcing for an illegal activity, asking for personal favors or about causing physical harm.
My dear friend. I hate people breaking chain of command. Especially how a FM can approach directly to SHO?

Eyeaan

My dear friend. I hate people breaking chain of command. Especially how a FM can approach directly to SHO?
Here he is not wearing FM cap. He is acting as public/government representative to oversee and as a citizen. If you or I may see someone breaking the law or insulting the public, what - we'll run for chain of command. Or when a situation is going out of control to violence, anyone can interfere to resolve unless no illegal act is done
I'll concur with you if I see some abuse of power - but in this case I don't see it. We may disagree about our assessment of the situation.

Citizen X

President (40k+ posts)
What you are saying is called breaucracy and red tape and that is why Pakistan's institutions work at glacial pace.

And a federal minister is higher up than a SHO MPA and MNA

Okara

What you are saying is called breaucracy and red tape and that is why Pakistan's institutions work at glacial pace.

And a federal minister is higher up than a SHO MPA and MNA
When we given a charge to IGP then he is fully responsible for his force. Let's assume, a FM start going directly then he should take responsibility as well. Problem is we want authority but no responsibility.

Okara

Here he is not wearing FM cap. He is acting as public/government representative to oversee and as a citizen. If you or I may see someone breaking the law or insulting the public, what - we'll run for chain of command. Or when a situation is going out of control to violence, anyone can interfere to resolve unless no illegal act is done
I'll concur with you if I see some abuse of power - but in this case I don't see it. We may disagree about our assessment of the situation.
Can Public challenge an SHO like this? Simple answer No. All I am saying as IGP is in-charge of Police so he is with authority and responsibility. If SQM wants authority then he must take responsibility.

Eyeaan

Can Public challenge an SHO like this? Simple answer No. All I am saying as IGP is in-charge of Police so he is with authority and responsibility. If SQM wants authority then he must take responsibility.
You may disagree but he resolved the situation appropriately.
The officer was accused of taking bribe and abusing public. SMQ said "when IG will come" referring to his immediate authority and acting through channel with complaint- not by himself.
Rather you may see, the officer is arguing with him and none else jumping in - you might not have imagined this a few years back. Don't forget he is FM, second in protocol to PM - representing state above the bureaucracy.. Chain of command is a good but each situation demands appropriate action. In any case the word "threat" should be used with substance.