How Raymond Davis was pardoned & released. Shameful role of General Pasha in entire episode

Amna Rizvi

MPA (400+ posts)
A tweet from @ArifAlvi forced me to read this! Very shameful indeed

A must read in NY Times. How Raymond Davis was pardoned & released. Shameful role of General Pasha in entire episode. http://t.co/ubs4HfbMv7 via @ArifAlvi (PTI)

It's a big article, link above, I am only pasting some paragraphs. Do read and comment (only after reading, no off topic please)

General Pasha, the I.S.I. chief, spoke privately by phone and in person with Leon Panetta, then the director of the C.I.A., to get more information about the matter.

He suspected that Davis was a C.I.A. employee and suggested to Panetta that the two spy agencies handle the matter quietly. Meeting with Panetta, he posed a direct question.

Was Davis working for the C.I.A.? Pasha asked. No, he’s not one of ours, Panetta replied. Panetta went on to say that the matter was out of his hands, and that the issue was being handled inside State Department channels. Pasha was furious, and he decided to leave Davis’s fate in the hands of the judges in Lahore. The United States had just lost its chance, he told others, to quickly end the dispute....

....By then, though, Munter had decided that the C.I.A.’s strategy wasn’t working, and eventually even high-level officials in the agency began to realize that stonewalling the Pakistanis was only causing the I.S.I. to dig in. After discussions among White House, State Department and C.I.A. officials in Washington, Munter approached General Pasha, the I.S.I. chief, and came clean.

Davis was with the C.I.A., he said, and the United States needed to get him out of the country as quickly as possible. Pasha was fuming that Leon Panetta had lied to him, and he was going to make the Americans squirm by letting Davis sit in jail while he considered — on his own timetable — the best way to resolve the situation.

Back in Washington, Ambassador Haqqani was summoned to C.I.A. headquarters on Feb. 21 and taken into Panetta’s spacious office overlooking the agency’s campus in Langley, Va. Sitting around a large conference table, Panetta asked Haqqani for his help securing Davis’s release.

“If you’re going to send a Jason Bourne character to Pakistan, he should have the skills of a Jason Bourne to get away,” Haqqani shot back, according to one person who attended the meeting.

More than a week later, General Pasha came back to Ambassador Munter to discuss a new strategy. It was a solution based on an ancient tradition that would allow the matter to be settled outside the unpredictable court system. The issue had already been discussed among a number of Pakistani and American officials, including Ambassador Haqqani in Washington.

The reckoning for Davis’s actions would come in the form of “blood money,” or diyat, a custom under Shariah law that compensates the families of victims for their dead relatives. The matter would be handled quietly, and Davis would be released from jail.

Pasha ordered I.S.I. operatives in Lahore to meet the families of the three men killed during the January episode and negotiate a settlement. Some of the relatives initially resisted, but the I.S.I. negotiators were not about to let the talks collapse. After weeks of discussions, the parties agreed on a total of 200 million Pakistani rupees, approximately $2.34 million, to offer “forgiveness” to the jailed C.I.A. officer.

The C.I.A. had approval from the White House to carry out missile strikes in Pakistan even when the agency’s targeters weren’t certain about exactly whom they were killing. Under the rules of so-called “signature strikes,” decisions about whether to fire missiles from drones could be made based on patterns of activity deemed suspicious.

For instance, if a group of young “military-age males” were observed moving in and out of a suspected militant training camp and were thought to be carrying weapons, they could be considered legitimate targets. American officials admit it is nearly impossible to judge a person’s age from thousands of feet in the air, and in Pakistan’s tribal areas, adolescent boys are often among militant fighters.

Using such broad definitions to determine who was a “combatant” and therefore a legitimate target allowed Obama administration officials at one point to claim that the escalation of drone strikes in Pakistan had not killed any civilians for a year. It was something of a trick of logic: in an area of known militant activity, all military-age males could be considered enemy fighters. Therefore, anyone who was killed in a drone strike there was categorized as a combatant.

The perils of this approach were laid bare on March 17, 2011, the day after Davis was released from prison and spirited out of the country. C.I.A. drones attacked a tribal council meeting in the village of Datta Khel, in North Waziristan, killing dozens of men. Ambassador Munter and some at the Pentagon thought the timing of the strike was disastrous, and some American officials suspected that the massive strike was the C.I.A. venting its anger about the Davis episode. More important, however, many American officials believed that
the strike was botched, and that dozens of people died who shouldn’t have.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/14/m...interservicesintelligence&_r=0&pagewanted=all

Last edited by a moderator:

desan

President (40k+ posts)
Pasha was not alone.....

From establishment to Punjab governement to Centre,
all were involved in this "caar-e-khair"!!!!

salmakh84

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
What's new about this? Everyone knows USA and Pakistan are ALLIES (works only one way. WE work for them, OUR soldiers die for THEM and they keep our Dr Aafias and torture them)

Also for people who claim ISI helps Afghan Taliban, this article also states how Mullah Baradar was captured :)

SMAAS

Senator (1k+ posts)
army role was obvious in Raymond case...PPP govt to ussay 24hrs b jail ma na rakh paati....

Koi shame nahi hai, Spy world main dealings hoti rehti hain kuch ka humein malloom ho pata hai or kuch ka decades k baad. or app ne keun nahi socha shayed ISI ne Davis ko use ker k kitney gains kiye hoon gae. ISI ko apna kaam ker ne dou ayein taang larou ge tou ye haal ho ga jo ab Pakistan main ho raha hai.

SMAAS

Senator (1k+ posts)
Koi shame nahi hai, Spy world main dealings hoti rehti hain kuch ka humein malloom ho pata hai or kuch ka decades k baad. or app ne keun nahi socha shayed ISI ne Davis ko use ker k kitney gains kiye hoon gae. ISI ko apna kaam ker ne dou ayein taang larou ge tou ye haal ho ga jo ab Pakistan main ho raha hai.

desan

President (40k+ posts)

They keep GAINING, while
we keep losing!!!!

jason

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Shameful role exposed many untold stories
1)how we enter war on terror
2)the role session/civil courts who acted as ROs in the current election
3)pakistani nation character.

Amna Rizvi

MPA (400+ posts)
army role was obvious in Raymond case...PPP govt to ussay 24hrs b jail ma na rakh paati....

Bara kamaal kia ISI na. instead of 24 hour, aik week ka liya rakh lia VIP protocol ka sath jail main, with dog food testers, mineral water etc!

And I think you didn't read article. Matter was out of Zardari's hand! He said courts will do it!

Still, it's very sad and #sharamnaak!

USA captured ISI agents recently (kashmir lobby..) He is still in Jail. why didn't CIA release him? Also, read about drones. ISI knows very well about drones too :(

yaar I am fed up of this proxy wars. PEOPLE DIE IN PAKISTAN, not America!! we should NOT be part of this war!

kashoo

MPA (400+ posts)

mjay ISI k role pa koi eitaaaz nai ha and i always support ISI..wasy jo bandy maaary gay thay wo app k relative hoty to b app yei kehty?

kashoo

MPA (400+ posts)
Bara kamaal kia ISI na. instead of 24 hour, aik week ka liya rakh lia VIP protocol ka sath jail main, with dog food testers, mineral water etc!

And I think you didn't read article. Matter was out of Zardari's hand! He said courts will do it!

Still, it's very sad and #sharamnaak!

USA captured ISI agents recently (kashmir lobby..) He is still in Jail. why didn't CIA release him? Also, read about drones. ISI knows very well about drones too :(

yaar I am fed up of this proxy wars. PEOPLE DIE IN PAKISTAN, not America!! we should NOT be part of this war!

i am not supporting this action madam..ramonynd should hav been punished..

cheetah

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
We all are patriotics including you and I firmly believe intelligence agencies are the eyes and backbone of the nation however in Pakistan our enemies are infiltrated very deep what they are doing.

SMAAS

Senator (1k+ posts)
mjay ISI k role pa koi eitaaaz nai ha and i always support ISI..wasy jo bandy maaary gay thay wo app k relative hoty to b app yei kehty?

Mulk ke mufaad mein pheley b humaray bharoun ne qurbani de or ager ye case hota or Army ya ISI humein ye advice deti tou keun nahi, 100 BismiAllah... Humer Hazir hein Pakistan, Army, ISI k liye..

the.paki

Senator (1k+ posts)
گندا ہے پر دہندہ ہے یہ
ہماری فوج ایک گینگ میں بدل چکی ہے
ان کو صرف ایک فقر ہے اور وہ یہ کہ

ان کا دہندہ چلتا رہے . باقی سب جہنم میں ........

M Ali Khan

Minister (2k+ posts)
Here is what a former Pak Army officer, writer, historian named Agha Humayun Amin has to say about Mark Mazetti's piece for NYT:

http://natural-beauty-pavocavalry.blogspot.com/2013/08/why-i-dont-agree-with-mark-mazzettis.html

[h=3]Why I Dont Agree with MARK MAZZETTI's BU____l SH____T ANALYSIS OF RAYMOND DAVIS[/h]
Why I Dont Agree with MARK MAZZETTI's BU____l SH____T ANALYSIS OF RAYMOND DAVIS

MY OWN ANALYSIS OF THIRD RATE HISTORY OF THIS AREA IS APPENDED BELOW MAZZETTIS ASSORTED PEARLS OF ABSOLUTE BULL ****.THIS ANALYSIS WAS DONE ON EVE OF US ATTACK ON AFGHANISTAN

AGHA .H.AMIN

Mark Mazzetti's analysis is not based on facts.

The hard facts of the matter are that historically the region that comprises Pakistan consists of the most opportunist races in the world .

In 1857 it was thanks to these opportunist races that 5th and 8th Light Cavalry were disbanded by the English East India Company ?

Some my ancestors and their cousins served in these fine cavalry regiments.

Pakistani Muslims in particular and Indian Muslims in general were saved from total political annihilation at hands of Sikhs and Hindus by a KNIGHT IN SHINING ARMOUR called ENGLISH EAST INDIA COMPANY WHO liberated Delhi and UP Muslims from Hindu Marathas in 1803 and Punjabi and Pashtun Muslims from Sikhs in 1849.Sindhi Muslims by Treaty of Amritsrar in 1809.

ITS A HARD FACT OF HISTORY THAT A 8 % SIKH MINORITY HAD ABSOLUTELY DEFEATED MUSLIMS BOTH SIKH AND PASHTUNS AND USED MUSLIM MOSQUES AS STABLES.

THESE SIKHS WOULD HAVE DESTROYED SINDH TOO BUT WERE RESTRAINED BY TREARY OF AMRITSRAR OF 1809.

It was US largesse that saved Pakistan in the period 1954-66 and 1979- 2001 Afghan Wars.

Anti Americanism in PAKISTAN is a ploy to get US aid .

THE RULE OF THUMB WITH PAKISTANI ELITE IS SIMPLE AND WELL TRIED BY ALL RACES FROM TURKS TO BRITISH :--

" YOU FU____K THEIR MOTHERS AND THEY ACKNOWLEDGE YOU AS THEIR FATHER " !

RUMSFELD COULD HAVE ACHIEVED MUCH MORE AND AT A FAR LOWER COST FFROM MUSHARRAF IN LATE 2001 BY DESTROYING AERIALLY FEW PARTS OF ISLAMABAD ?

PAKISTANI ELITE BOTH MILITARY AND CIVILIAN ARE HOPELESS WINDBAGS FULL OF ROTTEN MANURE !

ABOSLUTELY SPINELESS ?
MANY BATMEN OF BRITISH OFFICERS WERE COMMISSIONED IN OFFICER RANKS IN PAKISTAN ARMY AND AT LEAST THREE BECAME GENERALS.
I ASKED MY QUARTER MASTER WHO HAD SERVED IN THE ISI AND HE HAD A VERY LOW AND DESPICABLE OPINION ABOUT THE ISI WHO HE SAID WAS FULL OF NAUKRI BAAZ PEOPLE ( CAREERISTS AND SYCOPHANTS)

SO I DONT AGREE WITH MAZEOTTIS BULL **** .
PAKISTAN MOST DANGEROUS ENEMIES ARE THE 20,000 FAMILIES OWNING 80 % OF WEALTH AND PAYING 5 % TAXES,
PAKISTANI POLITICIANS GENERALS AND PROSTITUTES PERFORM UMRAH IN SAUDI OCCUPIED ARABIA EVERY RAMZAN TO WHITE WASH THEIR PROMISCUITY ?
PAKISTAN IS IN ANARCHY THANKS TO ITS PIM___ LEADERS ?
WHAT IS ANTI AMERICANISM ? PAKISTANIS ARE FED UP WITH THEIR OWN LEADERS WHO ARE WORSE THAN US OR JEWS OR HINDUS ?
AGHA H AMIN

[h=3]Yousuf Masti Khan -Pakistan Labour Party --Brilliantly Sums up the hopeless Pakistani State[/h]

Masti Khan of Pakistan Workers Party speaking on some Pakistani channels was bold and brilliant .

The gist of his talk was :--

1-The USA is allied with the Pakistani army not with people of Pakistan.

2-The Pakistani political and military leadership gets orders from USA because they are paid by USA in hard cash !

3-USA supports Saudi Arabia the most repressive regime in the world so how it expects the Muslim masses to believe that USA stands for democracy.food for thought.100 Marks to Mr Masti Khan from Balochistan.Such boldness is difficult to find anywhere other than Balochistan.

I dont think that all Pakistani channels mostly sponsored by Pakistani major political parties or pakistani military will dare to invite a truly honest man on TV again !

Agha Amin

Yusuf Masti Khan is a bold and daring progressive thinker from Balochistan.

I was lucky to see him once on TV.He spoke boldly and forthrightly that Pakistan is nothing but a vassal of USA and pakistans army is in reality an army of USA !

Pakistan is a country where any man who states the truth is branded as anti state while its foundation was based on collaboration !

The most genuine people were jailed , tortured and killed in this so called state !

He rarely comes on Pakistani TV because most of the characters you see on pakistani TV are men of straw with no guts and totally intellectually dishonest !

Many years ago I had discussed pakistans mercenary history in my article published in PRAVDA in October2001 :--

The Indo Pak Armies and Their Mercenary Calling

by

A.H Amin

PRAVDA-Sep 2001

AGHA.H.AMIN
STATELESS MAN AND CITIZEN OF WILDERNESS
JALA KAY MASHAL I JAAN HUM JANOON SIFAAT CHALAY ,JO GHAR KO AAG LAGAYAY HAMATAY SAATH CHALAY

Pravda.RU:Main:More in detail
16:20 2001-09-24
A.H.AMIN:

THE INDO-PAK ARMIES AND THEIR MERCENARY CALLING

As the adage aptly describes, there is nothing worse than to do the right thing for the wrong reason. We may modify it slightly by rephrasing it as doing the right thing, or the supposedly right thing, for the wrong reason! The pre-1947 Indian Army was a mercenary army composed of villagers from barren, rain-irrigated areas of India! These mercenaries were employed against their own people right from 1757!

The Sepoys (as these mercenaries were called) fought for money just like the Senegalese in French occupied Africa fought for money! These mercenaries comprised many nationalities and religions. They killed the Santhals in Bengal and the Martathas in Central India; they destroyed Tipu Sultan in 1799; they fought against the freedom fighters of 1857 when a greater part of the Hindustani mercenaries rebelled against the British masters! They fought against the Punjabi Sikhs, who later on were enlisted as mercenaries!

They fought against the Afghans in three wars during 1839-42, 1878-80, and in 1919. In addition, they fought in countless expeditions in the Trans-Indus Frontier from 1843 to 1946, destroying livestocks, razing villages to the ground, and destroying wells. Internationally, these mercenaries fought against the Muslim Turks in the First Great War, against the Chinese in the Opium Wars and the Boxer Rebellion, and against the Germans and in the First and Second World Wars: all races that had nothing against India! In short, these men fought for a living against anyone, whether they be Muslim Christian, Buddhist, Indian, Turkish, German, or Chinese for a living!

Espirit de Corps was a cleverly coined British ploy to galvanize these mercenaries. There were exceptions to the mercenary rule. In 1857, the Bengal Army, some three-fourths of which was Hindustani Hindu led by one fourth Hindustani and Ranghar Muslims mostly from cavalry that rebelled against the English East India Company! Unfortunately, India was not a country, and the English Company found eager mercenaries in the northwest! They were eager to loot Delhi and panting to get land grants, Jangi Inams, and many more carrots that the cunning English colonials promised!

Opportunism became the rule of Indian society, now known as Indo Pak, whether it was poets, educationists, lawyers, civil servants, or soldiers! The Indians were a defeated people and they thought that the White man was invincible! There were some exceptions to apathy when Sher Ali, a tall, muscular Pathan, stabbed the British Viceroy Mayo in the Andaman Islands in 1872!

Lord Mayo Viceroy of India stabbed to death by Sher Ali Afridi in 1872.Only an Afridi and a tribal Pashtuncould have done it ! They are the only ones with some spine left ! HA HA HA

However, Sher Ali Afridi was an exception, and most Indians were far more pragmatic and opportunistic than a Pathan convict in Andamans!

Sher Ali Afridi who was not a mercenary ,but an Afridi is an Afridi

Thus, nobody remembers Sher Ali today except the Pashtun Students Federation, where his photograph tops the gallery of heroes!
Like a blossom today then scattered, how can the fragrance last forever ,

Sher Ali was ,however, an exception, and sycophancy and appeasement remained the cardinal lifescripts of most Indians.
Sher Ali Afridi

Some motivated Pathans of the tribal area minus the more opportunistic people of Mardan Charsadda Swabi Kohat and D.I Khan carried at the struggle that had its origins in Sayyid Ahmad Brelvis guerrilla war. Then came the Russo-Japanese War of 1904-05!

The myth of European superiority was broken! Some audacious men, mostly Bengali Hindus, decided to strike back! A bold man called Rash Behari Bose actually attacked the British Viceroy Charles Hardinge with a bomb containing gramophone needles and nails while he was entering Delhi in 1813. Unfortunately, Bihari failed to kill the viceroy. However, terror struck at the heart of the British!

So what if he was not a Muslim , he is and will remain our hero , because he was one!

Their viceroy was attacked not in far flung Andaman Islands but in the newly created imperial capital Delhi and not by a Wahabi but by a highly educated Bengali Hindu. Rash Bihari escaped, but the Indian Army did not wake up from the slumber of their mercenary sleep. The First World War was yet another testing ground for the mercenary Indian Army. In the words of one British historian, the Punjabi Muslims stood staunch as a rock while there was a question mark over the Pathans.

He did not ,however, add that these disloyal Pathans were not from settled districts of Mardan or Charsadda Kohat or Peshawar but from the tribal areas and from D.I Khan. Some Indian military men were ashamed of their degrading mercenary status and did rebel against the British.

Notable among these were the Hindustani Muslim Ranghars of the 5th Light Infantry, who for some time captured Singapore;

The real patriots , men of 125th Light Infantry , Singapore 1915

the Afridis of various Frontier Force Units, notably the indomitable Mir Mast Afridi; and some Mahsuds from the Mahsud Companies of the 129 and 130 Baluchis. Lastly, there were the Pathan Squadrons of Curetons 15 Lancers (the Punjabi Muslim Squadrons remaining pragmatically loyal).

Mehsud warriors fighting against British

Waziristan being bombed 1919

All these men died, but all men are mortal. Is it death that our rulers are afraid of or is it a billion dollar package that will give them immortality? Is collaboration at the rate of few billion the golden lesson that they are leaving for posterity? A pragmatic lesson one must say. One important development took place during the First World War.

The Sikh Ghadrites, a group of Punjabis, some Hindus, and mostly Sikhs, did manage to subvert the Indian Army from their mercenary calling. They did not succeed, but many soldiers of scribes unit 23 Cavalry were court martialled and executed for conspiracy against British Empire.

On the whole, the Indian Army remained staunch even when martial law was imposed in Punjab in 1919, Gujranwala was bombed, many civilians flogged or made to crawl in the public, and many hundreds of civilians were killed by the army. The only inspiring incident of the Indian Army not being a mercenary force occurred in the 1930s, when the Garhwali Hindus soldiers of a unit of the Royal Garhwal Rifles refused to fire on the Pathan Muslim Redshirts demonstrating against the British.

Chandar Singh Garhwali who despite being a Hindu refused to open fire as a soldier of Garhwal Regiment at Peshawar in 1930.He was dismissed from the army and later elected as a member of parliament on Indian National Congress ticket

The Indian Army remained largely loyal in WW II, minus the Indian National Army in Burma. By and large, Indian independence had no connection with the Indian Army, who remained loyal mercenaries to the end to their British masters.

In India Nehru reduced the army to its correct place, i.e. a servile instrument of policy of the civilians. In Pakistan, because the Muslim League the political party that led Pakistan, there was an a party of soldiers with a mercenary past, and with nothing to do with the political struggle to free India, they were able to usurp power.

Since they were leaders of a mercenary army rather than a national army, they made the USA their godfather, making professions of being the vanguard of the USA, whether it was the protection of Anglo-Iranian Oil Fields or supporting Anglo-French claims over the Suez Canal. In the process of this abject appeasement, they managed an aid package from the USA. This was sufficient to make the Pakistan Army a sophisticated army but insufficient to win a war against India, not because of material reasons, but because of poor higher leadership and strategic and operational ineptness.

All throughout this period, the common Pakistani was anti-US anti-West, pro-Arab, and pro-Muslim. However, the common man was only a servile tool , democracy having been destroyed by 1958. The army remained a mercenary army with little national participation. It fought the 1965 War well, albeit at a battalion level, since beyond the battalion level, the more senior ranks were ones who had been programmed by the pre-1947 British to be company commanders at best. The 1965 War proved to be a watershed in Pakistani history, since it made clear the fact that the army was not a national army , since it was without participation from the country's east wing!

This fact was realized by General Yahya, the new C in C, but it was too late. The result was a civil war followed by defeat in a conventional war and the break up of Pakistan into two states. Few lessons were learnt, and soon, the country's first post-1946 democratically elected government was dismissed amidst allegations of superpower involvement.

The army came with a 90-day promise to hold elections, which were never held. The gap between the people and the army grew, and the situation was saved only by the fact that the Zia military junta found a new master, more correctly a new paymaster, in the USA once the USSR invaded Afghanistan. For next nine years, Pakistan fought the USA's war against communism, only to be conveniently discarded like an syringe with a decade long life. A syringe used to inject poison into the Red Army and then thrown into the incinerator of history! Within three years of the Soviet withdrawal from Afghanistan, the USA was all keen to declare Pakistan a terrorist state; the Americans have short memories.

Something like an impromptu encounter with a lass in a bar, followed by an expression of eternal love and everything forgotten the next day after the desired objective is achieved. Suddenly, in September 2001, precisely on the 11th of September, the USA suddenly woke up from a thirteen-year attack of insomnia and remembered that they had a very close friend called Pakistan: cheap friend led by a machine with a mercenary past. Thus, the latest US-Pakistan nexus.

What is the motivation of Pakistan's military elite to appease the USA? They are a bunch of men who came into power in an impromptu manner and suffer from a crisis of legitimacy. Since the end of the Cold War, mercenaries were no longer in demand and Pakistan's standing army was getting little aid from USA or any potential mercenary masters. The strikes September, 11th 2001 changed everything! Once again, Pakistan's elite got a chance that they had last received in 1979. Because they had missed one in the 1990-91 Gulf War, this time they are in no mood to miss another!

Their mercenary calling has been given a God-given opportunity! Without any deliberation, the military junta gave the US near divine status and offered their mercenary services against a neighbouring Muslim country.

Soon, this stand was rationalized by the military dictator in the name of Pakistan's best interest; that India would benefit if Pakistan did not go on its knees to appease the Americans; that the Israelis would attack Pakistan; that the USA was lesser of the two evils. Pakistan, the so-called bastion of Islam despite its 500,000 man army and an arsenal of nuclear weapons, is literally crawling in diplomatic language to appease the Americans. If this state created in the name of Islam is so vulnerable, then it should be declared the fifty-first state of the USA. It be a Puerto Rico or Panama with a US military presence.

Why all the macho talk about being Momins and soldiers of Allah?

Macho soldier of Islam is at his knees on one phone call from Uncle Bush,HA HA HA

The macho soldier ! HA HA HA

Soldiers of Allah who will be doing sentry duty around prospective airfields from where US aircrafts would fly to subject Afghanistan to fire and destruction! If a few billion dollars are so important, then what is the difference between Sepoy Khudadad who fought for 18 Rupees a month in the 1920s for the King and against his enemies?

If this country cannot survive without oil imported for free or on a subsidized rate from a neighbouring country, why waste the tax payers' money on a foreign ministry that consumes some 28 crores per day!

God may have made us poor, but we became Be Ghairat (Shameless) by our own choice! There have been too many strange coincidences in the last month. The death of General G.A Khan, the descendant of the indomitable Alizais who defied British orders to fight against the Turks in Mesopotamia 1915 in Mesopotamia.

The reader may note that the 15 Lancersso was an all-Muslim unit, but only its less pragmatic Pathan Squadrons refused to fight against the Turks, while the more pragmatic Punjabi Muslim Squadron obeyed orders like sheep. At the time of the blast, Pakistan's top intelligence official was in USA. The Chinese decided to make a port at Gwadar, which could also be a naval base. The Talibans were close to complete victory in Afghanistan!

The year 2001 is a watershed in Pakistani history. Either Pakistan will be condemned to be a country ruled by mercenaries, or it will became a true republic, an Islamic Republic or whatever one may call it. Are we so weak that one threat from a bully with an average IQ sends our leaders , so-called martial men who wear camouflage commando jackets, a clear and total violation of the army dress code, of the Pakistan army down to their knees?

What is the use of a Chinese policy if one ultimatum evaporates all the resolution that our military leaders are supposed to have? It makes one think whether or not the Holy Kaaba is in Mecca or a few thousand miles further West. To stab your neighbor in order to gain a few billion is being rationalised as pragmatic foreign policy. Even a courtesan called Hazrat Mahal did not collaborate with the British, fighting the war of Independence in Lucknow.

She did not surrender even once Lucknow was recaptured in March 1858 and died in exile in Nepal. Pragmatism would have meant accepting a pension that the British offered her and settling in India. However, this dancing girl was not a mercenary! What has happened? Our rulers have accepted the role of glorified coolies and camp followers of the USA! This country's rulers had sold their souls in 1954 once the first major treaty with USA was signed. After a great deal of kicking during the period of 1990-1999, they regained some pride.

The year 2001 has robbed this nation from being a nation of resolute man. We have been auctioned for a few billion dollars. Auctioned because a superpower wants access to the strategic underbelly of Russia and China. Auctioned because of valid strategic reasons. Our leaders have not learnt anything from Machiavelli, whom they do try or claim to read.

The men who collaborate with any superior power or play bargaining games with it are the first targets. Thus, the fate of Liaquat in 1951, the fate of Bhutto who defied USA but died a martyrs death in 1979, and that of Zia in 1988 a collaborator mercenary. We have everything written on the wall. Its only the lack of perception that makes us blind. Even Russia and China will be the losers!

Is this helicopter for external enemies or killing your own people ! HA HA HA

This so-called attack will stop on the Oxus River or at the Wakhan Strip. It will spread on into Chinese Turkestan (Sinkiang), Tajikistan, Kazakhastan, and to the Urals. If there is a minor Muslim separatist threat in China or Russia today, after a few years, these separatists will be getting Stingers to fight with until Siberia, Central Asia, Azerbaijan, and Sinkiang are sattellites of the Western powers. The Iranians are secretly rejoicing, but they must not forget that a Sunni Afghanistan is less of a threat than an Afghanistan administered under a US or UN mandate.

The Talibans in all probability may be crushed, but Afghan nationalism will survive! Their will be new groups, new Ahmad Shah's, nd new Hikmatyars who will fight a new Holy war against US occupation with Chinese- and Russian-supplied weapons, such as those from the CIA during 1979-88.

The Russians must forget how the USA had behaved when they occupied Afghanistan in 1979. 14,000 Russians died, most because of of weapons supplied to the Afghan resistance by CIA. The USSR must redress the balance of 1979-88 during 2001-10. Let the invaders come and settle down in Kabul and Kandahar and then send gifts of 100 body bags each day to their home country!

Is this country a private security agency that can be hired for a few billion dollars? If that is the case, why not lease our forces to fight as mercenaries as they did before 1947? Never in Pakistani history was collaboration so openly defended and propagated. Even Finland, a country far smaller than Pakistan, fought without US or British aid honorably for a certain duration of time. Are the Indians such a threat that we have to compete with them in being timid and shameless? The mercenary calling of our state has once again triumphed! The "bastion of Islam" is too weak to withstand one verbal volley of a man who is angry about something that has happened many thousand miles away from this country.

To compound things further, we have journalists, thinkers, and so-called experts busy writing articles for Hazoor ka Iqbal Buland Karna! Opportunism, which was instilled in us by the British in 1757, has once again triumphed! Two countries were created in the name of religionto date,i.e., Israel and Pakistan. Israel has fought for its ideology. Ironically, Pakistan has retained its mercenary character. Wrong, forever on the throne and truth, forever on the Scaffold!

A.H.Amin Major Agha Humayun Amin (Retired) is an ex-tank corps officer and a military writer and correspondent. He is the author of two books on the Pakistan army. He has been the executive editor of Globe Karachi and a military writer.

Posted by Agha H Amin at 12:36 AM
Labels: Yusuf Masti Khan -Yousuf Masti Khan-Pakistan Labour Party-A.H Amin-Agha.H.Amin
Afghanistan+Myth+and+Reality.jpg

SMAAS

Senator (1k+ posts)
They keep GAINING, while
we keep losing!!!!

Koi Nahi imthihaan ka waqt hai, Qoum seedhi rah ki taraf ana shrou ho rahi hai, jub Qoum seedhi ho jae tou Phir Politicians b ager Politicians ho ge tou Phir Army b. abi terrorism ka pura zor nahi ayea jo anay wala kuch months mein tou awam ko aik he rasta buchay ga or wo ho ga Unity ka or mil ker Khawarjioun k khilaf lurnay ka Army k sath mil ker. Jub tuk ye nahi hi ga kuj vi nahi hona. lugey raho apnay Gurds ki bazety kerney. tareekh bate ge k kon theekh ta Army k wo log jo un ko galiyaan nikaltay thay.

SMAAS

Senator (1k+ posts)
گندا ہے پر دہندہ ہے یہ
ہماری فوج ایک گینگ میں بدل چکی ہے
ان کو صرف ایک فقر ہے اور وہ یہ کہ

ان کا دہندہ چلتا رہے . باقی سب جہنم میں ........

ager ya na hoon tou Taliban a ker meri amaa jo k shia gher se hein un ko ziba krein ge or ager Pregenet hoween tou zida bacha paet se nikal ker phir ziba krein ge ager app k khandaan me jo un ki soch se tizaad kerta ho ga un ki khaloun k jootay daal ker humari maa bhenou se zuberdusty nikha ki krein ge. mujey koi shuk nahi Pak Army per. Awam humari chor hai, politicans humray bongay hein, aik Army or ISI hai jo mulk mein spotlight mein aye bagheir itni zaida external and internal threads ka 10 saal se mukabla ker rahein hain or hum un ko zaleel ker rahey hein... . ]

desan

President (40k+ posts)
Koi Nahi imthihaan ka waqt hai, Qoum seedhi rah ki taraf ana shrou ho rahi hai, jub Qoum seedhi ho jae tou Phir Politicians b ager Politicians ho ge tou Phir Army b. abi terrorism ka pura zor nahi ayea jo anay wala kuch months mein tou awam ko aik he rasta buchay ga or wo ho ga Unity ka or mil ker Khawarjioun k khilaf lurnay ka Army k sath mil ker. Jub tuk ye nahi hi ga kuj vi nahi hona. lugey raho apnay Gurds ki bazety kerney. tareekh bate ge k kon theekh ta Army k wo log jo un ko galiyaan nikaltay thay.

Solution is the other way around.
Honest and sincere leadership can do miracles.

Awam tried to bring that leadership in last elections, but
this kind of leadership is not in the interests of domestic/international POWER BROKERS....