Muslim filmmaker explores phenomenon of homegrown radicals in Tug Of War

Humi

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
Radicalisation in Our Youth and How to Stop it.

I think its about time that we address the elephant in the room. We all know ISIS has a very good social media propaganda machine which is very effective in recruiting our youth to join them yet no action from us. Why? If its not our problem, then whose?

People who think would think would be the last people to join ISIS, are running away to join them. Even youngsters born in Western countries, kids who have never been religious are flying to ISIS to join them everyday. It is estimated that more than 500 youngsters from UK alone have gone to join them in the last couple of years.

Can we please start thinking about what the root cause is, what the signs of radicalisation are and how we can stop them?

ISIS has a very effective propaganda team. They have replaced the old bearded man in the video who used to preach with something much more effective. Now they post videos about how much fun it is to be with ISIS and what a good community they are.

Sitting around, doing nothing is not going to solve the problem. You never know when someone you love might come across this propaganda and gets radicalised. So please, can we finally talk about it instead of just condemning it for the sake of our youth?

Last edited by a moderator:

desicad

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
more than an hour and no response to this thread.
damn let isis brainwash and recruit the vulnerable youth.

Last edited:

Humi

Muslims of today really make me sooooooo mad!

Everyone has time for everything else but this! I have not heard a single Muslim except a chosen few on the media talking about it.

Clearly we have a problem and we need to come together to protect our youth but well who gives a damn!

mrk123

Everyone has time for everything else but this! I have not heard a single Muslim except a chosen few on the media talking about it.

Clearly we have a problem and we need to come together to protect our youth but well who gives a damn!

People do give a damn and the video that you posted is a proof.

Honestly if you purely look at the numbers are minuscule percentage wise but these guys have a huge impact. And, even one person falling in the trap is one too many but I don't think that you can have 100% success rate in stopping these youth.

I see that in our community there are people talking about it and there are efforts to prevent it.

I think that more than the community the dialog should happen in the home with the families. I hope that people in the west are doing it because we do with our kids since they see the bigots and racists all around them and with the onslaught of the media and information its in their face. The key is to prepare them to steer clear of the dumb and stupid rhetoric from either side and just be a good human being.

I think that some will still fall in the trap because they are vulnerable or weak and they will be lured into it for various reasons irrespective of all the concerted efforts.

The issue that I see is that most of the times we tend to talk about problems but never talk about potentially viable solutions to those problems. I mean we broach these subject in an open ended way and never close the loop. If we tend to do that then we will be the ones who will leave our children confused.

Last edited:

mrk123

are they doing it here on siasat.pk? :-)

This is too complicated! A dialog, nah! We have to see things in black and white. Them vs. us.

Btw, youth has always been vulnerable. In the 60s and 70s being a leftist terrorist was cool. There were young people who had everything(may be too much) and gave up all to 'fight for the cause.' Its another thing that they then realized that in most cases the thing (communism) that they were fighting for wasn't the greatest cure for every evil and in fact in most cases was turned into the evil itself.

Last edited:

desicad

are they doing it here on siasat.pk? :-)

This is too complicated! A dialog, nah! We have to see things in black and white. Them vs. us.

Btw, youth has always been vulnerable. In the 60s and 70s being a leftist terrorist was cool. There were young people who had everything(may be too much) and gave up all to 'fight for the cause.' Its another thing that they then realized that in most cases the thing (communism) that they were fighting for wasn't the greatest cure for every evil and in fact in most cases was turned into the evil itself.
Of course no here on dot pk. :D I was talking in terms of discussion and sharing ideas, may be people think it is not that serious a problem and/or the issue is being tackled at other platforms.

desicad

No need to be mad I guess as the problem has not yet reached alarming proportion and the percentage youth falling prey is very negligible.

Humi

No need to be mad I guess as the problem has not yet reached alarming proportion and the percentage youth falling prey is very negligible.

Hopefully that will be soon because these people are really good at their propaganda...They even made a video using sign language to attract deaf people..:13:...