My mother got robbed at gunpoint in Pakistan this past Sunday

A.G.Uddin

Minister (2k+ posts)
Assalam-u-Alikum Everyone,

I thought about sharing an incident with all of you. We live in Canada and my mother is currently in Karachi , Pakistan for some work. There she witnessed how the mega metropolitan has actually tuned into Kachrachi . Many of its neighborhoods are being mismanaged and at mercy of K-Electric and Tanker Mafia.

khi-waste.jpg

This past Sunday she was sitting in a Rickshaw right in front of our place and one of our maternal aunts was right outside the vehicle. Suddenly two men who seemed to be in their late 20s to mid-30s would come out of nowhere on a bike with a handgun or pistol on them. Khala would run towards another side to gather some people and one of them shouted ' Oh marde R@|\|:)I ko (Kill the w/=/Or€ ) '. Mom told me that she did hear some shots but couldn't see if they targeted Khala or just scared other bystanders by firing in the air. Anyways , neither my mom nor aunt would receive any physical injury but those guys managed to take away mom's handbag that included her smartphone, some Canadian cash and jewelry.

This all happened within two minutes before they would flee the scene. Luckily she didn't have any passport, driving license or credit card in it at that time. Despite no physical harm the psychological shock is still there. Mom is complaining about having no or less sleep due to the horror. The robbers based on their accent , seemed to be local (Urdu Speaking) Mohajirs. It was later revealed that similar robberies took place in nearby homes as well.

594312_52869082.jpg

What surprised me this time was hearing about polite behaviour of police officials. We were told that police would arrive at the scene and local SHO would come and take their statements. As per their(Police) assessment, the culprits and/or their associates should be residing nearby. My aunt and his son would deal with reporting and giving details about items that got robbed and even Khala herself was amazed by courtesy shown by police this time. Upon further chat, and discussion about how cops are usually perceived these days one of the officers would disclose how they don't get proper funds and have to manage even their marked vehicles (mobiles) ON THEIR OWN FROM THEIR OWN POCKET(S).

I am still worried about safety of my mom given that how the robbers may react after finding foreign currency in the handbag . Mom was cursing the two guys (nothing unusual). However after carefully thinking a part of me believes that both the cops and such robbers are not external elements but a part of our Pakistani society.

And whatever they do is a reaction or side effects of how elites decide fate of the entire population. Not sure about what families of those two robbers may be going through in addition to how police officials are pushed over by their own higher ups. In other words, everybody has now become a criminal cum a victim.

karachi-police-2-1-2.jpg

For now, we can just pray that my mom manages to return safely.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

AntiGossip

Senator (1k+ posts)
I am sorry to hear this incident occurred with your mother. I feel she & khala could have been accompanied by private guard with gun (but that extra cost).
I sympathize and feel that the 2 gun men knew in advance to target weak aged beings rather than younger people. Another option is to uber deliver whatever you're trying to shop around for. May allah keep your mother safe and all mothers of Pakistan (including mine)!

Haha

Minister (2k+ posts)
اللہ آپکی کی والدہ سمیت سب پاکستانیوں کو اپنی حفظ امان میں رکھے چوری ڈکیتی کسی بھی صوبے میں ہو عمران کی حکومت میں یا زرداری کی کہیں بھی ہو سکتی ہے عدلیہ ٹھیک کرلو سزائیں سنانا شروع کر دو بہت حد تک کنٹرول ہو سکتا ہے جہاں جہاں سزائیں سخت ہیں ان ملکوں میں چوری ڈکتی بہت کمُ ہے سنگا پور کے بارے میں یہی سنا ہے کہ وہاں چوری ڈکیتی نہ ہونے کے برابر ہے
وجہ صرف سخت ترین سزا
ڈکیتی کی سزا موت ہے

mughals

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
somebody from your street is an accomplice.
if you go out, keep 500 rs with you and an old fashion phone. nobody will come to you.
When I go to Karachi, I meet all my friends and relatives a couple days from departure. In this way, they can't program a nakab

IMIKasbati

Minister (2k+ posts)
There are tens (if not hundreds) of such incidents happening in Karachi every day since the birth of MQM in late 80s.

Yes MQM is not there as it used to be but its goons are everywhere. And also there are other guys who learned this from MQM.

The situation is almost out of control. Communities need to install cameras and work closely with police to stop street crimes. One such project is successfully running in Hydari area.

Need not mention that until judiciary is not improved crimes cannot be removed.

Hunter_

MPA (400+ posts)
There are tens (if not hundreds) of such incidents happening in Karachi every day since the birth of MQM in late 80s.

Yes MQM is not there as it used to be but its goons are everywhere. And also there are other guys who learned this from MQM.

The situation is almost out of control. Communities need to install cameras and work closely with police to stop street crimes. One such project is successfully running in Hydari area.

Need not mention that until judiciary is not improved crimes cannot be removed.

I got robbed in Karachi and they were not "Urdu Speaking" rather they were more like Saraiki or similar so I am not saying MQM are innocent, yes they are also part of the Mafia but they are not the only ones and stop blaming on just one party alone. Police reforms are not done by PLMN and PPP its not MQM fault and Most of the police are either Sindhi or Punjabi

IMIKasbati

Minister (2k+ posts)
I got robbed in Karachi and they were not "Urdu Speaking" rather they were more like Saraiki or similar so I am not saying MQM are innocent, yes they are also part of the Mafia but they are not the only ones and stop blaming on just one party alone. Police reforms are not done by PLMN and PPP its not MQM fault and Most of the police are either Sindhi or Punjabi
This is the problem with MQM sympathizers. They are so much in the denial mode that they even don't read completely.

Following para is part of my initial post:

Hunter_

MPA (400+ posts)
This is the problem with MQM sympathizers. They are so much in the denial mode that they even don't read completely.

Following para is part of my initial post:

Hunter_

MPA (400+ posts)
this is the problem with us, we judge very quickly, u think MQM taught everyone how to steal and to do criminal activity. MQM and PPP and Jamiat were there way before MQM . and all I said was they are all the same so stop saying only MQM is responsible all are same MQM PLMN PPP JUIF JAMAT E ISLAMI ALL are criminal at the same level

A.G.Uddin

Minister (2k+ posts)
I am sorry to hear this incident occurred with your mother. I feel she & khala could have been accompanied by private guard with gun (but that extra cost).
I sympathize and feel that the 2 gun men knew in advance to target weak aged beings rather than younger people. Another option is to uber deliver whatever you're trying to shop around for. May allah keep your mother safe and all mothers of Pakistan (including mine)!

Honestly, hiring private guards is something beyond our budget given that we don't have influential relatives or connections either. What do you think of Pakistani Canadians ? ?

Yes my mom is almost 60 whereas aunt is in early 50s. Uber driver also sounds like a great idea even though there are incidents or news about them misbehaving with you or doing something terrible. Unlike here and United States, Uber back home doesn't take care of complaints by riders. Kindly correct me if I am wrong.

Lastly, thanks for your wishes and prayers. Appreciate that ?

somebody from your street is an accomplice.
if you go out, keep 500 rs with you and an old fashion phone. nobody will come to you.
When I go to Karachi, I meet all my friends and relatives a couple days from departure. In this way, they can't program a nakab

That's what the cops also said. Those robbers planned in advance. Also, Smartphones are a strict No No in various neighbourhoods.

I used to live in Oman before immigrating to Canada so never really lived in Pakistan that much. When I would visit Pakistan four years down the road then this one schoolmate wanted to take me out to chill and also meet with few other ones who knew me. Parents and relatives objected even though I had already become an adult so was disgusted and furious. As per them and family friends, you can't trust anyone. Even here, few of my fellow Pakistani friends share the same opinion. Perhaps they're right.

AntiGossip

Senator (1k+ posts)
Honestly, hiring private guards is something beyond our budget given that we don't have influential relatives or connections either. What do you think of Pakistani Canadians ? ?

Yes my mom is almost 60 whereas aunt is in early 50s. Uber driver also sounds like a great idea even though there are incidents or news about them misbehaving with you or doing something terrible. Unlike here and United States, Uber back home doesn't take care of complaints by riders. Kindly correct me if I am wrong.

Lastly, thanks for your wishes and prayers. Appreciate that ?

That's what the cops also said. Those robbers planned in advance. Also, Smartphones are a strict No No in various neighbourhoods.

I used to live in Oman before immigrating to Canada so never really lived in Pakistan that much. When I would visit Pakistan four years down the road then this one schoolmate wanted to take me out to chill and also meet with few other ones who knew me. Parents and relatives objected even though I had already become an adult so was disgusted and furious. As per them and family friends, you can't trust anyone. Even here, few of my fellow Pakistani friends share the same opinion. Perhaps they're right.
You are welcome. Funny you asked about Pakistani canadians? Well tbh I don't value them in Any highest regard. Its actually the opposite. Most of these people don't have Any exposure to diverse ethnic groups than they have audacity to complain and moan just about anything or topic. Many Pakistani Canadians are deprived of basics and most are in rehabilitation centers for not driving their cars properly for example. I have my personal sources from Within Ontario government where reports statistics say Pakistanis are most dumb people within Canada comparison among other communities. For instance if you take a glance at Facebook Pakistani group's you see what I mean by asking stupid questions day after day, it's like someone wants you to do their dirty work. But yeah funny you ask about them.
Hope you find solution to your mothers daily routines outside house.

Last edited:

Dr Adam

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)

I thought about sharing an incident with all of you. We live in Canada and my mother is currently in Karachi , Pakistan for some work. There she witnessed how the mega metropolitan has actually tuned into Kachrachi . Many of its neighborhoods are being mismanaged and at mercy of K-Electric and Tanker Mafia.

khi-waste.jpg

This past Sunday she was sitting in a Rickshaw right in front of our place and one of our maternal aunts was right outside the vehicle. Suddenly two men who seemed to be in their late 20s to mid-30s would come out of nowhere on a bike with a handgun or pistol on them. Khala would run towards another side to gather some people and one of them shouted ' Oh marde R@|\|:)I ko (Kill the w/=/Or€ ) '. Mom told me that she did hear some shots but couldn't see if they targeted Khala or just scared other bystanders by firing in the air. Anyways , neither my mom nor aunt would receive any physical injury but those guys managed to take away mom's handbag that included her smartphone, some Canadian cash and jewelry.

This all happened within two minutes before they would flee the scene. Luckily she didn't have any passport, driving license or credit card in it at that time. Despite no physical harm the psychological shock is still there. Mom is complaining about having no or less sleep due to the horror. The robbers based on their accent , seemed to be local (Urdu Speaking) Mohajirs. It was later revealed that similar robberies took place in nearby homes as well.

594312_52869082.jpg

What surprised me this time was hearing about polite behaviour of police officials. We were told that police would arrive at the scene and local SHO would come and take their statements. As per their(Police) assessment, the culprits and/or their associates should be residing nearby. My aunt and his son would deal with reporting and giving details about items that got robbed and even Khala herself was amazed by courtesy shown by police this time. Upon further chat, and discussion about how cops are usually perceived these days one of the officers would disclose how they don't get proper funds and have to manage even their marked vehicles (mobiles) ON THEIR OWN FROM THEIR OWN POCKET(S).

I am still worried about safety of my mom given that how the robbers may react after finding foreign currency in the handbag . Mom was cursing the two guys (nothing unusual). However after carefully thinking a part of me believes that both the cops and such robbers are not external elements but a part of our Pakistani society.

And whatever they do is a reaction or side effects of how elites decide fate of the entire population. Not sure about what families of those two robbers may be going through in addition to how police officials are pushed over by their own higher ups. In other words, everybody has now become a criminal cum a victim.

karachi-police-2-1-2.jpg

Thanks

Very sad to hear that my brother.
I hope your dear mother and other members of the family presently are out of the harms way.
My prayers are with you and with your family.
God bless.

knowledge88

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)

khi-waste.jpg

594312_52869082.jpg

karachi-police-2-1-2.jpg

Thanks
I sympathize with you. It is heartbreaking when one of our family members especially women get robbed.

Just one very small point of advice for you, please read your text before posting it. I always do. I am saying so because your text was hard to comprehend.

You wrote many sentences in the future tense when you meant the past. I thought you expected Police to arrive but the fact was that Police had arrived,
You have written that
" My aunt and his son would deal with reporting and giving details about items that got robbed and even Khala herself was amazed by courtesy shown by police this time."

I think you meant to say " My aunt and his son dealt with reporting and giving details about items that got robbed and even Khala herself was amazed by (the) courtesy shown by police this time. "

You also wrote "We were told that police would arrive at the scene and local SHO would come and take their statements "

I think you meant "We were told that police arrived at the scene and local SHO came and took their statements "

Please don't be offended. We all make mistakes. I do too, but your sentences were very confusing, and putting would instead of the past tense of a verb, means you are talking about the future. I thought you expected Police to arrive but they didn't come. But later I realized you meant the opposite.

My apology in advance if my correction has offended you.

Last edited:

Tan

Citizen
this is the problem with us, we judge very quickly, u think MQM taught everyone how to steal and to do criminal activity. MQM and PPP and Jamiat were there way before MQM . and all I said was they are all the same so stop saying only MQM is responsible all are same MQM PLMN PPP JUIF JAMAT E ISLAMI ALL are criminal at the same level
Dear, No MQM did not teach everyone how to steal BUT THEY INVENTED. They are the one who destroyed Karachi. Once such a beautiful place, i wish my kids could visit and see this city but NOW its has become Kachra-chi - Someone said correctly.

Nebula

Minister (2k+ posts)
So sad to know your loss. But you are defaming the country like this not happen in other countries. Good and bad people are every where. Specially when in employment and inflation on the peak. Crime rate increase when you import 50million refugees only from one country and several others which are not counted in census. Anyways things will get better once we have fully functional gawadar and stable Afghanistan. Karachi is exploding and have peanuts for expenditure. Sind govt busy with other things and Karachi Hyderabad never their priority. Interior Sind including other rasict province hate Karachi. But enjoy it's funds. All the cities are not develop so people come to Karachi. Now things happening in gawadar so may be people migrate to that area and open new business there.

Anyway for your mom will say. She will be lucky if they not target her again. Once they confirm the person and knows the worth. Then it's like sitting duck.