Pros and Cons of Blockchain E-Voting...

Iconoclast

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
The drawbacks he stated are trivial. Everyone and their aunt is on facebook, they can install an app where they login with their nic + assigned random password, Everyone is given two tokens, one for federal, one for provincial assemblies with predefined options (candidates) under the option of "Vote"....
No need to wait for 5 pm for the results, enjoy the results in real time thanks to the block explorer.....

desan

President (40k+ posts)
The drawbacks he stated are trivial. Everyone and their aunt is on facebook, they can install an app where they login with their nic + assigned random password, Everyone is given two tokens, one for federal, one for provincial assemblies with predefined options (candidates) under the option of "Vote"....
No need to wait for 5 pm for the results, enjoy the results in real time thanks to the block explorer.....

Not sure if this technology can be used in ranking candidates, like they do in Ireland and Finland.

Instead of voting for PTI, PPP or PML-N, we should have the option of ranking candidates from these parties. This kind of a system will remove a choke-hold of 2 or three parties in country's politics like they have in the US, Indian and many other countries.

Granted, we are far far away from this sophisticated system of ranking candidates rather than choosing them.

Iconoclast

You can use it for anything where you need to keep a record of something, anything.....
Not sure if this technology can be used in ranking candidates, like they do in Ireland and Finland.

Instead of voting for PTI, PPP or PML-N, we should have the option of ranking candidates from these parties. This kind of a system will remove a choke-hold of 2 or three parties in country's politics like they have in the US, Indian and many other countries.

Granted, we are far far away from this sophisticated system of ranking candidates rather than choosing them.

desan

President (40k+ posts)

Iconoclast

Not even a problem, run it through a wrapper chain which first validates the token with the voting blockchain, if it passes the test, send it to an anonymized network and unwrap it on the other side, while it will still show whom the vote was cast for but it won't show you the address of the original sender (voter)..... That's just one way to skin this cat.... I could go on and on....
besides, rural sindh is a long way away from implementing it, it'd be a miracle if they have enough ballot papers. It's way more anonymous than your conventional voting system.

Anonymity will definitely be a concern, especially in Feudal Sindh and Gullu Butt's Punjab...

desan

President (40k+ posts)
Not even a problem, run it through a wrapper chain which first validates the token with the voting blockchain, if it passes the test, send it to an anonymized network and unwrap it on the other side, while it will still show whom the vote was cast for but it won't show you the address of the original sender (voter)..... That's just one way to skin this cat.... I could go on and on....
besides, rural sindh is a long way away from implementing it, it'd be a miracle if they have enough ballot papers. It's way more anonymous than your conventional voting system.

Have no clue about this mumbo jumbo.

However, above podcast is quite revealing about the non-anonymity of cryptocurrency and hence the creation of Z-cash...

Iconoclast

I don't need to listen to a podcast about the anonymity or lack of it, z-cash is not alone, there are a ton of privacy based chains currently operating.... besides it's all about how you want to set it up, code you know, can be taken into any direction you want.....
My point, your reservations have solutions, tons of them....

However, above podcast is quite revealing about the non-anonymity of cryptocurrency and hence the creation of Z-cash...

Sohail Shuja

I don't need to listen to a podcast about the anonymity or lack of it, z-cash is not alone, there are a ton of privacy based chains currently operating.... besides it's all about how you want to set it up, code you know, can be taken into any direction you want.....
My point, your reservations have solutions, tons of them....
Well, I am totally bald of any sort of IT knowledge, but what I make out of it is that one chain consists of many images of it, run on different servers. So, for one polling station, we will need at least two to three alternate chains, on different servers.

So how many servers we will need in Pakistan for a National Assembly election? only in Bahawalpur, (NA-171) we had 286 polling stations. So, if you develop a blockchain of each one of them, it might be minimally multiplied by thrice the number of the polling stations. No?

Secondly, our primary data for verification will be lying on the server of NADRA. So, how many queries of verification can be handled by the single server? Chances of Network outage?

Thirdly, I am not sure but here in Pakistan, they wipe even the device ID of mobile phones, I mean if you bring in a phone whose IMEI is blocked, they will flash its bios and assign a new ID to the device. So can this create a problem in the blockchain?

Sohail Shuja

There must be many great ideas out there, but before designing a solution, we need to see our available resources. Do we have enough money, time and expertise available at hand or not?

Iconoclast

I'm willing to develop the whole system within a month, a testnet deployed for the next six months to sort out any kinks if there are any and then move the system ready for deployment on mainnet, I'm sure the gov can afford a couple of lacs to hire an android/ios developer to code the accompanying apps for it, I'd have done em myself but don't have the time to sit down and go through ios/android sdk documentation.....
People can then vote through their phones or go to a polling station, for the illiterate you can tie their thumb impression to their private key on chain and all they need to do is authorize and select the "nishaan" on the screen, which could be a few computers, or tablets.... ye know the drill
When it comes to deployment, in this case, the only things holding them back is vision and will....
There must be many great ideas out there, but before designing a solution, we need to see our available resources. Do we have enough money, time and expertise available at hand or not?

Iconoclast

No, you got it wrong, and I don't blame you. There is no server, only connected peers, if you want servers, you can deploy the same blockchain to them, allocate it computational power, and let them act as nodes, that rules out any chances of tampering unless every node is hacked and that's the beauty of blockchain, your data doesn't mirror other nodes, you're out....
To save you of the technical bs, you can refer to my other reply, lol I thought that was to me so replied to the wrong post....
PS: These are hardly 30 crore entries, I'm sure many pakistanis will be willing to install a small app, which will act as a node, any device, a phone, tablet, or pc can act as a node, this is no stress on the hardware.... even a central node (which goes against the very core values of decentralization) would require no more than 5 machines and i can give them specs for those..... the whole thing will set you back no more than a few lacks
Well, I am totally bald of any sort of IT knowledge, but what I make out of it is that one chain consists of many images of it, run on different servers. So, for one polling station, we will need at least two to three alternate chains, on different servers.

So how many servers we will need in Pakistan for a National Assembly election? only in Bahawalpur, (NA-171) we had 286 polling stations. So, if you develop a blockchain of each one of them, it might be minimally multiplied by thrice the number of the polling stations. No?

Secondly, our primary data for verification will be lying on the server of NADRA. So, how many queries of verification can be handled by the single server? Chances of Network outage?

Thirdly, I am not sure but here in Pakistan, they wipe even the device ID of mobile phones, I mean if you bring in a phone whose IMEI is blocked, they will flash its bios and assign a new ID to the device. So can this create a problem in the blockchain?

Sohail Shuja

No, you got it wrong, and I don't blame you. There is no server, only connected peers, if you want servers, you can deploy the same blockchain to them, allocate it computational power, and let them act as nodes, that rules out any chances of tampering unless every node is hacked and that's the beauty of blockchain, your data doesn't mirror other nodes, you're out....
To save you of the technical bs, you can refer to my other reply, lol I thought that was to me so replied to the wrong post....
PS: These are hardly 30 crore entries, I'm sure many pakistanis will be willing to install a small app, which will act as a node, any device, a phone, tablet, or pc can act as a node, this is no stress on the hardware.... even a central node (which goes against the very core values of decentralization) would require no more than 5 machines and i can give them specs for those..... the whole thing will set you back no more than a few lacks
Look man.... I don't want to sound stupid, as this is an unchartered territory for me.

Yet what I have got from your post is that it is some sort of P2P chain, like we used to have in e-mule and other softwares of that era, right? Plus we have it running on several chains in parallel (creating images).

But one last question (and pardon me if I sound too dumb) what about Bitcoin Laundries?

Iconoclast

I certainly did not imply that you were and if I came across as rude, I apologize, wasn't my intention...
Yes and no, back in the day, you would not be sharing the same files if their hashes didn't match.
The main thing that blockchain solved was double spending and that's what enabled it to act as a token for value.
For any node to start working, it must first download the entire chain, you need not to worry about how it's done but you can trust me on that it's a seamless process, quick too considering it wouldn't be much data anyways.... the genesis block must be there to proceed and then they can start approving votes or otherwise.
Bitcoin laundry is a double edge sword, on one hand big companies try to keep their transactions private which includes salaries they pay to their employees. And you'd be surprised how many companies, at least in tech industry prefer paying in crypto. It's fast, cheap and less hassle. Tesla started accepting btc for their products. So did other companies. There are privacy coins for that, and a few upcoming solutions (eg Raze Network) which enables you to to send any currency, be it btc, eth or whatever anonymously. The transaction is still traceable on the blockchain of the token in question but you wouldn't be able to route it back to the original sender.
Even if you don't use any anonymized token, your wallet cannot be traced back to you specifically unless of course you move your assets to an exchange and then send the funds back to your bank. But that's neither here nor there.... BTC wallets (accounts) are anonymous, they don't carry any nametag or any other info, just the amount you're holding and your transactions.... the transactions are not, if you have the address of any wallet, you can explore it on the blockchain to see how much it's holding and what not... nothing else though, you can't spend it unless you own the private key....
To break it down for you as a layman, if it's good enough for those greedy corporate bastards to use as store of money (value, not good at this economic shit) it's good enough for voting lol.......
Look into it, how wallets operate etc, trust me you will be needing it in the very near future......

Look man.... I don't want to sound stupid, as this is an unchartered territory for me.

Yet what I have got from your post is that it is some sort of P2P chain, like we used to have in e-mule and other softwares of that era, right? Plus we have it running on several chains in parallel (creating images).

But one last question (and pardon me if I sound too dumb) what about Bitcoin Laundries?

Sohail Shuja

I certainly did not imply that you were and if I came across as rude, I apologize, wasn't my intention...
Oh no, I certainly never meant to imply that you were rude, I was just talking about my naivety on the matter and I may sound too kiddish at some point. But that is due to lack of proper understanding. Usually, I do not engage in a discussion where I do not have enough knowledge to discuss the idea in appropriate details.

I am thankful that you took your time and imparted great effort in making me understand these concepts. Appreciate that!

To break it down for you as a layman, if it's good enough for those greedy corporate bastards to use as store of money (value, not good at this economic shit) it's good enough for voting lol.......
Look into it, how wallets operate etc, trust me you will be needing it in the very near future......
Yeah, it does make sense that if those big giants are stashing their wealth in BTC, then there must be something about it.

Its hidden, tax free, easy to transfer across the borders and cheap too as there are no transfer fees involved. Plus, as an investment, it is a good one since the number of coins in the chain are the same and as their demand keeps pushing upwards, the value of the currency rises.

Cypto is the future, there is no doubt about it. People want to use a currency which is not controlled by a central bank, is free from the scrutiny of the authorities, can be transferred with the ease of a click and there are no additional bank transfer fee they are liable to.

I'll definitely come back later sometimes when I have educated myself satisfactorily on the subject. But anyways, thanks once again for your kindness and help.