Should we have a Jury Service in Pakistan too?

A.G.Uddin

Minister (2k+ posts)
Jury duty or jury service is service as a juror in a legal proceeding. When a person is called for jury duty in the United States, that service is compulsory: one must attend or face strict penalties. Employers are not allowed to fire an employee simply for being called to jury duty. (However, they are typically not required to pay salaries during this time.) When attended, potential jurors may be asked to serve as a juror in a trial, or they may be dismissed. Jury duty has been criticized by some libertarian groups as involuntary servitude[SUP][1][/SUP] that is akin to conscription.[SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP] Most regard jury duty as essential to the administration of justice, and as such it is considered a condition of US citizenship.

12 Angry Men is an American drama film adapted from a teleplay of the same name by Reginald Rose. The film tells the story of a jury made up of 12 men as they deliberate the guilt or acquittal of a defendant on the basis of reasonable doubt. In the United States (both then and now), the verdict in most criminal trials by jury must be unanimous one way or the other, and the entire movie takes place in the jury room. 12 Angry Men explores many techniques of consensus-building, and the difficulties encountered in the process, among a group of men whose range of personalities adds intensity and conflict.the defendant is referred to as "the boy" and the witnesses as the "old man" and "the lady across the street".

In Islam,terms like justice,patience and equality hold an important spot.I always wonder why not we include perspectives and opinions about any issue from people hailing from different backgrounds and walks of life. Here's the 1997 version of the movie.

Last edited by a moderator:

Unicorn

Banned
Thanks for the tag bro. Trial by the jury of pears is a great system for the West but it will not work in any of the third world countries. The main reasons for it is corruption, lack in sense of justice and illiteracy. Any one with a little bit of money will be able to bribe the jury if not only member would have to be bribed to get a hung jury and possible retrial. It will still not solve the problem of which case goes to trial and which does not based on the accused's status or bribery.

In order to have a good justice system the jurors would have to be decent people along with the rest of the institutions like Police, judges and prosecutors.

Twelve angry men and To kill a mocking bird are two great classic films I have seen them both. These films are quite educational and entertaining at the same time and recommend that everyone should watch them.

Last edited:

A.G.Uddin

Minister (2k+ posts)
@ Unicorn!

If you could remember then there's an Indian version of the movie too titled 'Ek Ruka Hua Faisla' made in 1986. Shahid Kapoor's father Punkaj Kapoor and Annu Kapoor(of Antakshiri) were also there in that movie. I am not sure if Jury Duty was ever a reality in Indian and Pakistani systems or anyone in either nation is interested to come up with the concept. Yeah,we have talk shows but that doesn't reduce the amount of files and pending cases in our courts.

A.G.Uddin

Minister (2k+ posts)
Education say pehle tou bilkul bhi nahi!!!

HHHMMMM..I would somehow agree.But problem is that our society suffers from lack of transparency,widening gaps and bigotry;and someone needs to act as a bridge.This uncle once told me that Quran is a guidance for entire humanity but we have made Maulvis and religious clerics the sole and exclusive authority who can act as a source and interpretation, why not we let every cab driver,businessman,teacher,clerk,doctor and even a hawker to read The Holy Quran and interpret it on his/her own understanding since everyone has a right to read it and ponder over its words.Yeah he shouldn't publish it and act as a scholar; but discussions among people from different walks of life about any issue,there's nothing wrong or Haram in it.

If you watch the movie,then there are 12 jurors who hail from different backgrounds and professions, and have to judge a teenager who's accused of killing his father. There they all act and react based on their respective knowledge and experience of society and their lives.

Unicorn

Banned
@ Unicorn!

If you could remember then there's an Indian version of the movie too titled 'Ek Ruka Hua Faisla' made in 1986. Shahid Kapoor's father Punkaj Kapoor and Annu Kapoor(of Antakshiri) were also there in that movie. I am not sure if Jury Duty was ever a reality in Indian and Pakistani systems or anyone in either nation is interested to come up with the concept. Yeah,we have talk shows but that doesn't reduce the amount of files and pending cases in our courts.

There is India version of almost all classic Hollywood movies but its not the same thing. I think its still good to make and show them to the public who does not know English language.

In 12 angry men I love that Juror that wanted to get it over with quickly because he had to go to the race track to bet on a horse and did not wanted to miss the race.:lol:

Last edited:

anyie1

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
it is a good system but will not work in Pakistan, our jurors will be finding the accused and witnesses to get money to change the decision.. till the time our moral and ethical values are not up to the standards we will not be able to implement this system in our society transparently.

A.G.Uddin

Minister (2k+ posts)
it is a good system but will not work in Pakistan, our jurors will be finding the accused and witnesses to get money to change the decision.. till the time our moral and ethical values are not up to the standards we will not be able to implement this system in our society transparently.

But jurors are usually confined within a room without any phone service,internet,television or communication with the outside world until they don't come up with the final decision.That's what has been shown in the movie too.They have no one but each other to talk with throughout the process.I had a chance to attend this service back in March or April 2009 and I didn't know what the case was all about.After reaching there in the courtroom we were told that it was a robbery case and funnier part was the crime took place in July 2005....I thought is it getting like Pakistan where cases get pending for years. The accused or culprit was some black guy.Names of jurors who would be deciding were chosen randomly among the pool of hundreds. I didn't know what happened aftewards since my name was not chosen and coincidentally I was not feeling well that day either. So I just breathed a sigh of relief and left....lol

Mughal1

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
I think even people in the west lack true sense of freedom and justice due to their adopting of capitalist economic system that is based on the idea of survival of the fittest.

Poverty is very much there in the west as well and justice is still for those who can afford it. prejudices shown in the movie are deep social prejudices between social groups and do have serious effect on real life situations on daily basis. Education in the west is also for those who can afford it. This is why despite legislations against prejudices things still continue because the things we are fighting against we are also supporting and promoting them. It is therefore a very complex and sophisticated issue. We can only get what society offers and society only offer what we individuals as member of a society contribute to it.

So long as there is negative competition or rivalry between people and each of us lives for himself, our goals based on our short sightedness cannot let us progress because they are self destructive. The main example can be current situation in the world that is hitting the poor countries most and poor people within those poor countries even more.

It all shows very clearly that all human societies are based upon unfairness and no concern for others. The family values and the discipline people of my generation were bought up with are gone. Individual freedom without sense of responsibility has eroded societies and people are becoming like robots and the relationship that surviving are business based relationships. employee and employer etc. government institutions as well as religious institutions and economic or monetary institutions are all working by same rule money is power and money can buy everything etc etc. As a result we are becoming more and more emotionally disturbed people due to lack of love and care and respect for each other as human beings.

So there is a lot wrong with human society today that needs to realised and put right or things will get yet worse.

Hard-Turth

Banned
Please dont tell me that there is any justice in the West.......... the west , the white race , specially the english and england are the real "Dajjal"..