Traits of a Leader: Needed by Pakistan A Nice Opinion Post

PakiPatriot

MPA (400+ posts)
As the election is drawing near and near, the bickering between the leaders and parties and each party supporters is getting louder and uglier. As i look around in my country i feel sad to see that i dont feel any party leader is able to take Pakistan to the road of progress and prosperity. These are just my views and you can sure disagree and feel that other traits are more important.

Truthfulness (Sacha)
somebody asked Prophet (SAW) that can a momin be coward? Prophet (SAW) said yes a momin can be a coward. he asked about few other traits too, that can they be in a momin and Prophet (SAW) said yes momin can have these traits too. Lastly he asked if a momin can be a liar? and Prophet (SAW) said NO, Momin can never be a liar..!!

So obviously this is the first trait which i believe that a leader got to have, to take Pakistan on the road of prosperity and progress. But to achieve this a leader will need to cut down giving statements, cut down appearing on talk-shows. The more you speak the more chances you will be lying. I read somewhere (i dont have the source right now) that Quaid-e-Azam use to give very few statements, hardly couple of statements a month. So if a leader cut down on his statement, it will help him in avoiding saying lies and will have more meat in their statements.

Uniter:
This is the second most important trait for the leader in my view and the most important trait lacking in our leaders. This country has already been divided in so many segments and sect, that we need a leader who can unite this country and the people. This statement does not mean that he should Unite with the corrupt, immoral and traitor leaders. But he should unite all the segments of the society on the issues Pakistan is facing including finding a durable & fair solution for fighting corruption.

Right now we have leaders who give big statement calling opponents as chalees chor and making claims that they will hang opposition and bla bla bla but practically none of them will file the case against the corrupt politicians, rather they welcome them if they join them. Nobody tries to bring back the corruption money. Nobody tries to fight corruption through justice. But every leader is ready to stand on the podium and do a blazing hot speech against his/her opponents. You ask them a question they will start replying by putting dirt on other and in the end you will be lucky to get an answer to your original question from them.

The problem it has created in my view is that the supporters of each significant party has gone an extra mile in creating more hatred and biasness against others and fragmenting the society even more. We dont even call a good deed, a good deed if its done by our opponent party leader. Quran has a beautiful saying for this:

And do not let the hatred of a people for having obstructed you from al-Masjid al-haram lead you to transgress. And cooperate in righteousness and piety, but do not cooperate in sin and aggression. (Chapter 5, Verse 2)

The followers or fans have simply stopped accepting any good from anyone other than their leader and they have made their leader as the angels from heavens. In my humble view this attitude is not going to take us anywhere even if we find best of the leader, because even if someone tries to do good others try to do opposite of it.. We already see this attitude in our life. One bad leader will start a very good project for the community and when he goes out of power, the other good or bad leader will immediately stop that project out of hatred, not only money and time is lost but the wheel of progress is turned backward. And the worst part is that the supporter of the leader will consider it right and will keep on fighting for the wrong cause.

I dont want it too long or too boring, so i will just that we need a leader who can bring consensus, who can appreciate the good done by others, who can second the positive step by others and finally who can avoid wasting time in putting allegation and name calling on speeches and talk shows and i think it will do a ton of good for the public and society. I am not saying he should stop in ending corruption by other, but we have a judicial system and it should be used for exposing and proving corruptions by others. Speeches and talk shows are not for it.. You may do a speech in the court while presenting your arguments, but without evidence and without filing cases, doing it on the talk shows i think is not healthy for the leader and especially not healthy for the nation building.

A verse by the great poet Allama Iqbal,
ہو حلقہء یاراں تو ریشم کی طرح نرم
رزم حق و باطل ہو تو فولاد ہے مومن

Original Text from: http://caylu.wordpress.com/2012/12/03/traits-of-a-leader-needed-by-pakistan-my-opinion/

Last edited: