Why are we wasting 30 Billion PKR in such times?

Citizen X

President (40k+ posts)
It has been announced by NDMA that they have ordered ten thousand ventilators from China at a Unit Price of 17,000 USD each !!! which is approximately 28 Lacs !!!
Is this massive import bill acceptable when we are planning to help the poor with food and our economy is shut down?
We can easily import basic components and assemble ventilators at a fraction of this cost.
We do not need world class ventilators we need low cost ventilators and many of them...
If we start making ventilators we can make more of them and in less time and money..
I do not support this costly step taken by the Gov and NDMA ......
Very poor allocation of precious resources ...

With 28 Billion PKR we can make more than one lac low end but fully functional ventilators, along with team of dedicated technicians that will assist in operation and maintenance during this crucial times ...

Besides we can use this amount to upgrade our high priority facilities ...
And provide good sanitary and hygienic facilities at the treatment centers ...

It is time to put out skilled and talented people to work not beg the Chinese and pay millions of USD ...
THIS IS PURE AND SIMPLE ADHOCKISM .. Highly disappointed with the GOP

Ventilator is the last resort .. before that we have to have
1- Steamers
2- Nebulizers
3- Oxygen kits
Thats why they say a little knowledge is dangerous. The whole world is scrambling to get a hold of as many as they can. It was only due to Pakistans close ties with China even after their entire production was booked for a year they accommodated us, and you are saying we a wasting money on life saving equipment!

DlwRUwT47-t_TKJv0jlWrtHXBESh0kIJSBVqry4eFqVsCDXzEQUV5cM3_Jmc97PDBgWCiQJTUdDDaG8ROD0irgwo3toyTwTmmqgk7e0

Eyeaan

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
With 28 Billion PKR we can make more than one lac low end but fully functional ventilators, along with team of dedicated technicians that will assist in operation and maintenance during this crucial times ...

Besides we can use this amount to upgrade our high priority facilities ...
And provide good sanitary and hygienic facilities at the treatment centers ...

It is time to put out skilled and talented people to work not beg the Chinese and pay millions of USD ...
THIS IS PURE AND SIMPLE ADHOCKISM ..
Do you know any manufacturer who would produce ventilators in the next few weeks - of any kind, low cost or high cost?
This is going on for about 6 weeks. Do you know any manufacturer who has already begun the production or is in the process?
Ad hocism? It is an emergency!!!

This is a long term investment which will go a long way to enhance our health infrastructure. Further very probably such kind of expenditures will be compensated with international help allocated for this epidemic.

MHAMZA

Minister (2k+ posts)
Do you know any manufacturer who would produce ventilators in the next few weeks - of any kind, low cost or high cost?
This is going on for about 6 weeks. Do you know any manufacturer who has already begun the production or is in the process?
Ad hocism? It is an emergency!!!

This is a long term investment which will go a long way to enhance our health infrastructure. Further very probably such kind of expenditures will be compensated with international help allocated for this epidemic.

I am convinced that we can do it comfortably, I am engineer with 20 years experience and know many companies who can assemble basic ventilators in large number,
I am not saying we should build from scratch , I am saying import key components and assemble them here in Pakistan ,,,,
In the long run most of the imported ventilators will go out of commission or be rendered nonfunctional due to lack of maintenance
As an engineer with two decades of experience I am convinced without doubt that we are wasting 30 Billions PKR for equipment we can assemble in 3 Billions ....

Eyeaan

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
I am convinced that we can do it comfortably, I am engineer with 20 years experience and know many companies who can assemble basic ventilators in large number,
I am not saying we should build from scratch , I am saying import key components and assemble them here in Pakistan ,,,,
In the long run most of the imported ventilators will go out of commission or be rendered nonfunctional due to lack of maintenance
As an engineer with two decades of experience I am convinced without doubt that we are wasting 30 Billions PKR for equipment we can assemble in 3 Billions ....
The following is my opinion and I respect your opinions as well.
Perhaps I have an equal experience of engineering design and modelling - however this's not the matter of who knows what and can make claims.
The issue is not fabricating and putting the parts together but testing and reliability. It's about the lives; and standardization is the prime concern (especially when the equipment is to be used potentially for thousands of patients over its lifetime)..
About the low-tech solutions - for the equipment of this nature - I've different opinion. Go for the latest high-tech latest-designs and hi-tech-manufacturing otherwise the lives of the equipment will be short and not quite cost-effective in the long run. Only repair is issue that favors low-tech solution in this case. However it's not so for all kind of machinery - for example for farm machinery where user is untrained; local repair and mass production are major consideration.
In health related multi-use critical equipment -- reliability, reliable use and control by the operator and standardization are all what really matters.
In short I'll never go for fabricating such equipment in a short span (even months/a year) unless it is done by a manufacturer with decades long experience, R/D and trained workers.
(of course when automaker GM's latest plant in US and a top innovative firm in ventilators (with multiple patents) collaborate together and offer to build ventilators in the span of a month - that's acceptable because the players are trust worthy and at top of innovation.)
On the dollars and economic side I don't know much to make a comment.

Last edited: