Yet another racism incident in World's biggest Hypocrisy Called Bharat Mata

Shamain

Senator (1k+ posts)
Manipur girl's encounter at airport is an affirmation of unchecked racism in India

Imagine an immigration officer telling you that you dont look Indian. Imagine that officer quizzing you to prove your Indian nationality. Imagine a lady at the next counter giggling as you battle these insults.
This is the nightmare that Monika Khangembam, a resident of Manipur, encountered last week at Delhis Indira Gandhi International Airport. In a Facebook post on 9 July, Monika wrote about her humiliating experience. The bloody racist immigration desk at it again! Looks at my Passport and says, "Indian toh nahi lagti ho." I get that all the time so don't react much to it but then he goes on, "Pakka Indian ho?" with a smirk. I still don't react. What really got me was when he said, "See... You yourself need to know your Indianess. How many states are there in India?" she posted.
grey.gif
Monika Khangembam. Photo courtesy: Facebook

Reacting to the incident, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj, was quick to apologise to Monika, assuring her that she would take up the matter with Home Minister Rajnath Singh. The minister has also promised to ensure that all immigration officials sign up for a sensitisation programme. Whether such a programme, if and when it materialises, would yield results is of course anybodys guess.
Swarajs apology, no doubt, marks a welcome shift of stance from her response (or the lack of it), to the brutal killing of Masonda Ketanda Olivier, a Congolese national, by a mob in the Capital two months ago. Virtually denying that Indians can be racist, Swaraj had then issued a statement saying, India is the land of Gandhi and Buddha These were not premeditated acts against a particular community, rather these were spontaneous attacks perpetrated by anti-social and criminal elements.

Monikas experience at the immigration counter is just one among countless such other incidents faced by people from the North East. Consider for example, the assault on a 26-year-old woman from Manipur that took place in Mumbai four months ago. Molested and dragged by her hair in Santacruz in public, the victim, found no sympathy or help from bystanders and even the local police. The victims sister said that North Easterners are frequently discriminated against because of their facial features.
A NDTV report quoted her saying: Because of our North-East facial features, people believe that we are from China or Nepal. Because of this discrimination, no one came to my sister's rescue.
What is particularly alarming is that far from showing any signs of abating, racism has continued to flourish regardless of the transformative economic and cultural changes that have taken place in the country over the last two decades.

Twenty seven years ago, Kishore Seram, a journalist from Manipur, had written an evocative article on what it meant to be an Outsider Within. In an article published in the Delhi-based daily Patriot, Seram wrote: I remember the first three months of my hostel life in Chandigarh cornered and sneered at by my big-bully brothers in the very first week. I remember too, how humiliating it was when they wanted to know if my Nepali sister was a prostitute. Seram described how it hurt to declare that I am an Indian from the state of Manipur, only to hear them say with disdain: Junglees! And it hurt too, to be grouped with other foreigners, in spite of my vehement protests that I was an Indian. The head clerk in college was adamant that chinkies were found only in Nepal and Thailand! he wrote.

Monikas encounter at the airport is a disturbing affirmation of how little things on the ground have changed since then. Notwithstanding all the political grandstanding on Indias multiculturalism and tolerance, the roots of racism have been nurtured and strengthened.
Though Swarajs assurance of sensitising immigration officers may be a good idea, she and her colleagues would have to acknowledge racism as not as an aberration but a deep-seated structural problem of Indian culture. That is if they are seriously concerned about racism.

http://www.firstpost.com/india/mani...ion-of-unchecked-racism-in-india-2888036.html

Last edited by a moderator:

nepali.nationalist

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
arey apnay endia mein to ache din chal rahe kay hain ...yeh to sub ko pata hai ....shuker kero is bechari kay saath kuch aur naheen hua ...

Shamain

Senator (1k+ posts)
arey apnay endia mein to ache din chal rahe kay hain ...yeh to sub ko pata hai ....shuker kero is bechari kay saath kuch aur naheen hua ...
Frankly ihad thought e same she got saved from being molested or raped also given the fact the officer who asked her stupid question also lectured her on indianness something. Yuk.

mullanutcase

Voter (50+ posts)
Frankly ihad thought e same she got saved from being molested or raped also given the fact the officer who asked her stupid question also lectured her on indianness something. Yuk.

this is good news , racism , sodomy , child rape and abuse , all vanished from pakistan ?

Welcome to Pakistan
Pakistan one of the least racist countries? Tell that to the Pakhtuns

By Faraz Talat Published: April 29, 2015

27433-faraz-1430296305-623-640x480.jpg

A Pakhtun girl stands at the doorway to her family dwelling in the outskirts of Peshawar on July 10, 2012. PHOTO: REUTERS

27433-faraz-1430296305-623-160x120.jpg
27433-mapracialtolerancex-1430295644-970-160x120.jpg

As a liberal who has long decried our nation’s exquisitely racist attitude towards Pakhtuns,Hazaras, Jews and any mound of protoplasm not strictly conforming to our expectation of what a ‘real Pakistani’ looks like, the study was, at first, humbling. Though I was certain that I hadn’t imagined all that racism, perhaps we were still relatively better than most of the world, and that’s something to be relatively happy about.
That joy was short-lived.

This is after all a country where if we can’t agree on anything about the causes of terrorism, we can at least shake hands on the fact that there are “too many Afghan/Pathans” here for our comfort. It was unsurprising that following the brutal attack on the Army Public School (APS) in Peshawar, the first step of our reinvigorated counter-terrorism plan was to round up all the Afghan babas selling sand-roasted corn on the roadside, and chuck them and their families out of the country. Or as we euphemistically call it, “repatriation”. The UN itself stood stunned at the rapidity with which we dealt with our refugee problem, quite possibly putting their lives in jeopardy.
Thereby proving that xenophobia and racism trumps the romanticism of ‘Muslim unity’, and that we’d shake mountains for the welfare of our brothers around the world from Palestine to Kashmir, as long as it costs us nothing more than the price of a functioning microphone, and allows us the opportunity to rail against our political nemeses like India and Israel.
Any examination of our own don’t-ask-don’t-tell bromance with the religious extremists, whopreach fanatical ideas and terrorism apologia with complete impunity, shall forever remain at the bottom of our list of priorities.
Steve Seidman, a professor at Carlton University studying ethnic conflict, expressed his concern about the study’s reduction of a complex phenomenon to a single metric, presented neatly as a color-coded world map.
He expertly observed that the manifestation of racism depends on the racial diversity and polarity in the region. In other words, if you’ve had little to no interaction with Dominicans and don’t know much about them, you might be ambivalent about them moving in next door.
In a country where the racial divide among Pakhtuns and non-Pakhtuns isn’t as black and white as, well, ‘black’ and ‘white’, the word ‘race’ is rarely brought up. That is not to say that “we” tolerate “them”. The language of the survey matters tremendously, and prejudice against an ethnicity is still generally covered under ‘racism’.
The researchers also caution the readers that the study – with questions so straightforward, they may as well ask, “You racist? Yes or no?” – does not take dishonesty into account. For instance, Finns may not be more racist than the Swedish; they might just be more honest.
Overt racism against the Pakhtuns has melded so seamlessly into the Pakistani culture, it hardly elicits a glare. Pashto words are often thrown sarcastically at one another to insult one’s intelligence, implying that it’s the language of people with poor comprehension skills. Pathans are insouciantly stereotyped as unhygienic brutes; heck, even I stereotyped them earlier in this very blog as corn venders, which although satirical, bears real risk of being taken seriously.
So let’s save the celebratory fireworks for another day. Racism is not a bygone menace by any measure, and it lies shimmering on top of a giant mound of sectarianism, cemented by numerous other forms of bigotry.

136 CommentsPrintEmail

on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook

430.jpg
Faraz Talat

A medical doctor and bubble-wrap enthusiast from Rawalpindi, who writes mostly about science and social politics (and bubble-wrap). He tweets @FarazTalat (twitter.com/FarazTalat)

Last edited:

fajlulhaq

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)

this is good news , racism , sodomy , child rape and abuse , all vanished from pakistan ?

Welcome to Pakistan
Pakistan one of the least racist countries? Tell that to the Pakhtuns

By Faraz Talat Published: April 29, 2015

27433-faraz-1430296305-623-640x480.jpg

A Pakhtun girl stands at the doorway to her family dwelling in the outskirts of Peshawar on July 10, 2012. PHOTO: REUTERS

27433-faraz-1430296305-623-160x120.jpg
27433-mapracialtolerancex-1430295644-970-160x120.jpg

As a liberal who has long decried our nations exquisitely racist attitude towards Pakhtuns,Hazaras, Jews and any mound of protoplasm not strictly conforming to our expectation of what a real Pakistani looks like, the study was, at first, humbling. Though I was certain that I hadnt imagined all that racism, perhaps we were still relatively better than most of the world, and thats something to be relatively happy about.
That joy was short-lived.

This is after all a country where if we cant agree on anything about the causes of terrorism, we can at least shake hands on the fact that there are too many Afghan/Pathans here for our comfort. It was unsurprising that following the brutal attack on the Army Public School (APS) in Peshawar, the first step of our reinvigorated counter-terrorism plan was to round up all the Afghan babas selling sand-roasted corn on the roadside, and chuck them and their families out of the country. Or as we euphemistically call it, repatriation. The UN itself stood stunned at the rapidity with which we dealt with our refugee problem, quite possibly putting their lives in jeopardy.
Thereby proving that xenophobia and racism trumps the romanticism of Muslim unity, and that wed shake mountains for the welfare of our brothers around the world from Palestine to Kashmir, as long as it costs us nothing more than the price of a functioning microphone, and allows us the opportunity to rail against our political nemeses like India and Israel.
Any examination of our own dont-ask-dont-tell bromance with the religious extremists, whopreach fanatical ideas and terrorism apologia with complete impunity, shall forever remain at the bottom of our list of priorities.
Steve Seidman, a professor at Carlton University studying ethnic conflict, expressed his concern about the studys reduction of a complex phenomenon to a single metric, presented neatly as a color-coded world map.
He expertly observed that the manifestation of racism depends on the racial diversity and polarity in the region. In other words, if youve had little to no interaction with Dominicans and dont know much about them, you might be ambivalent about them moving in next door.
In a country where the racial divide among Pakhtuns and non-Pakhtuns isnt as black and white as, well, black and white, the word race is rarely brought up. That is not to say that we tolerate them. The language of the survey matters tremendously, and prejudice against an ethnicity is still generally covered under racism.
The researchers also caution the readers that the study with questions so straightforward, they may as well ask, You racist? Yes or no? does not take dishonesty into account. For instance, Finns may not be more racist than the Swedish; they might just be more honest.
Overt racism against the Pakhtuns has melded so seamlessly into the Pakistani culture, it hardly elicits a glare. Pashto words are often thrown sarcastically at one another to insult ones intelligence, implying that its the language of people with poor comprehension skills. Pathans are insouciantly stereotyped as unhygienic brutes; heck, even I stereotyped them earlier in this very blog as corn venders, which although satirical, bears real risk of being taken seriously.
So lets save the celebratory fireworks for another day. Racism is not a bygone menace by any measure, and it lies shimmering on top of a giant mound of sectarianism, cemented by numerous other forms of bigotry.

136 CommentsPrintEmail

on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook

430.jpg
Faraz Talat

A medical doctor and bubble-wrap enthusiast from Rawalpindi, who writes mostly about science and social politics (and bubble-wrap). He tweets @FarazTalat (twitter.com/FarazTalat)

ha ha ha .............
bouncing-smiley-emoticon.gif

thses idiots lost their half of the country because of their racist behaviour .
idiots used to call us black thin bangali is not equal to poonjabi .

151.jpg