The Pakistan-origin driver behind a landmark Uber case

shafali

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Yaseen Aslam has single-handedly taken on the ride-hailing giant, which now might have to give employee rights to the drivers in the near future.
Uber is facing its biggest legal challenge since the ride-hailing giant started operations a decade ago and upended the way people used taxis.

In a few weeks, the UK Supreme Court will rule on a case that pits Uber against its drivers who say they deserve the minimum wage, paid sick leave and the right to form a union.

Experts say the results of the case could have a far reaching impact on the gig economy where tech firms have devised ways to connect workers directly with customers, sidestepping traditional contractual responsibilities.

The man behind the case is thirty-nine-year old Yaseen Aslam, a British citizen, whose parents migrated from Pakistan’s Mirpur region in the 1970s.

“I’m an average guy...yeah. You wouldn’t even talk to me if it wasn’t for Uber. I’m lucky to have the support of drivers, ethnic minorities and solicitors. I wouldn’t have gone on fighting like this if I knew this legal case will go on for six years,” he tells TRT World.

Aslam is the president of App Drivers and Couriers Union (ADCU), which represents people working for companies such as Uber and Ola.

In late October, ADCU pleaded before a court in the Netherlands, where Uber has its international headquarters, that the company be made to share information of some drivers who have been arbitrarily blocked out of the app.

Full article: