Why for most Pakistanis, Pakistan and by extension their lives is a joke?

alis

MPA (400+ posts)
I see this in this forum, I see it on Reddit, I see it on Facebook, I see it in all the media channels, I see it in newspaper articles.

I see that the way people discuss things about the country with a constant mocking/joking manner. whenever you want to have a civil and data-driven discussion we as a nation start with pseudo-humoristic remarks about everything that has very serious consequences. In most cases, it feels like people don't really give a damn about the issues and overall impact of that issue on their own lives and just need some topic of discussion for the sake of discussion.
Whenever I talk with relatives, friends I notice this. This might be that I am too invested in these problems but how can you not be, you or your family is living there, how can you ignore and even make fun of the issues.
There are so many examples but I will give one, I have a relative who is not doing very well financially, he is old too so not a chance of improvement but he is getting by in his life, he always teases me that he will vote N league because Imran khan destroyed the country and things like that, each time I try to explain to him the bigger picture of currency, macro-economics, subsidies, shadow economy, mafias, bureaucracy, judiciary and he can not give any answer about it and kind of submit to be points but still he is unable to process this that not taking this serious is much more hazardous to him compared fo me but still he is insistent on making light of things. Most people I see online are like this, for them, everything is a joke, there is a serious divide between their approach toward understanding the issues and understanding its link to their own lives. Please tell me that I am not alone and there are people who are really concerned about this and also hoping for the better.

farooqak

Minister (2k+ posts)
Our media is very sub standard
But remember even CNN and BBC are now totally involved in yellow journalism
they also promote hysteria, so overall standards are down now, just not exclusive for Pakistan

Nazimshah

Senator (1k+ posts)
These are the people responsible for making the current state of the country. Noone think about the country but just their self wish they learn from Iraqis, Afghanis, Lebanese, Syrians and so on that what they are going through because there countries weren't strong enough to resist the trouble makers

Saboo

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
Our media is very sub standard
But remember even CNN and BBC are now totally involved in yellow journalism
they also promote hysteria, so overall standards are down now, just not exclusive for Pakistan
You are better off not to watch television at- all. and many are doing just that…Estimated 46% do not watch it and 38% admitting watching less and less every day….Most kids already watching Youtube…..
As they say ignorance is bliss….A person who does not know about a problem does not worry about it. Have a carefree life and live loooonger! ?

Citizen X

President (40k+ posts)
I see this in this forum, I see it on Reddit, I see it on Facebook, I see it in all the media channels, I see it in newspaper articles.

I see that the way people discuss things about the country with a constant mocking/joking manner. whenever you want to have a civil and data-driven discussion we as a nation start with pseudo-humoristic remarks about everything that has very serious consequences. In most cases, it feels like people don't really give a damn about the issues and overall impact of that issue on their own lives and just need some topic of discussion for the sake of discussion.
Whenever I talk with relatives, friends I notice this. This might be that I am too invested in these problems but how can you not be, you or your family is living there, how can you ignore and even make fun of the issues.
There are so many examples but I will give one, I have a relative who is not doing very well financially, he is old too so not a chance of improvement but he is getting by in his life, he always teases me that he will vote N league because Imran khan destroyed the country and things like that, each time I try to explain to him the bigger picture of currency, macro-economics, subsidies, shadow economy, mafias, bureaucracy, judiciary and he can not give any answer about it and kind of submit to be points but still he is unable to process this that not taking this serious is much more hazardous to him compared fo me but still he is insistent on making light of things. Most people I see online are like this, for them, everything is a joke, there is a serious divide between their approach toward understanding the issues and understanding its link to their own lives. Please tell me that I am not alone and there are people who are really concerned about this and also hoping for the better.
Mostly because our people cannot think beyond cheeni aur tamater ki qeemat. I know people who shook hands with nawaz sharif at some rally or something 30 years ago and now have become lifetime voters just because of that one handshake ages ago and nothing else.

But in contrast compared to the west now our youth is much more politicized than the older generation or as I like to call noora generation who voted on stupid reasons as mentioned above. You will hardly see anyone in the 20 to 35 age group having much interest in politics in the west.