Ethiopia begins filling reservoirs of Nile mega-dam

Dr Adam

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
Not to sound sarcastic but..... if Egypt constructs the world's biggest dam.... Aswan dam on its soil then it is kosher but if another poor sovereign country makes a reservoir on their land for the benefit of its poor people then its a global problem.
Double standards. SIC.
I also watched a documentary 2 days ago where Iran has problems with this dam. I don't know why?

Mujahid Ali Awan

Minister (2k+ posts)
Not to sound sarcastic but..... if Egypt constructs the world's biggest dam.... Aswan dam on its soil then it is kosher but if another poor sovereign country makes a reservoir on their land for the benefit of its poor people then its a global problem.
Double standards. SIC.
I also watched a documentary 2 days ago where Iran has problems with this dam. I don't know why?

Spot on!

Vitamin_C

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Its more complicated than that. 99% of Egypts population lives on the banks of the Nile river.

The Reservoir of the Ethiopian Dam is so big that it can hold more water than the entire share of Sudan & Egypt water from Nile.

So it all depends on how fast Ethiopia fills the reservoir. If Ethiopia fills the reservoir in 3 years time then Egypt will lose 50% of its irrigated land.

The sooner that Ethiopia fills the reservoir, the faster they can reap the benefits. But if they fill it too fast it will devastate Sudan and Egypt.

Ethiopia is kind of like the Tibet of Africa, many rivers originate in Ethiopia including blue nile which is responsible for 90% of water of the Nile river.

Rivers originating in Ethiopia also flow into Somalia, Eritria, Djibouti, South Sudan and Kenya. Its one of the luckiest countries in Africa when it comes to water and it will soon export eclectricity to other African countries because of its hydro-electric potential.

Double standards. SIC.

Citizen X

President (40k+ posts)
Its more complicated than that. 99% of Egypts population lives on the banks of the Nile river.

The Reservoir of the Ethiopian Dam is so big that it can hold more water than the entire share of Sudan & Egypt water from Nile.

So it all depends on how fast Ethiopia fills the reservoir. If Ethiopia fills the reservoir in 3 years time then Egypt will lose 50% of its irrigated land.

The sooner that Ethiopia fills the reservoir, the faster they can reap the benefits. But if they fill it too fast it will devastate Sudan and Egypt.

Ethiopia is kind of like the Tibet of Africa, many rivers originate in Ethiopia including blue nile which is responsible for 90% of water of the Nile river.

Rivers originating in Ethiopia also flow into Somalia, Eritria, Djibouti, South Sudan and Kenya. Its one of the luckiest countries in Africa when it comes to water and it will soon export eclectricity to other African countries because of its hydro-electric potential.
The same nonsense arguments have stopped construction for our dams for so many years. With Paleet Party crying about dams stealing sindhs water as if they gave a fuck about sindh.

The damn is made and its going to get filled and start working sooner or later. Egypt should come to terms with it and decide whether it wants the band aid to be ripped slowly or in one quick go. Those are the only two options it has.

Vitamin_C

Do you think Egypt will allow 50% of its farmland to waste? They will bomb the dam before it gets to that point. Egypt has allowed Ethiopia not less than 15 years to fill the reservoir.

The disagreement is that Ethiopia wants to do it faster than 15 years so it can start generating electricity faster. 3 years means 50% of Egypt's farmland is lost, 6 years means 17% is lost, both will be devastating for a country with 100 million population.

One solution I see is that, Egypt can get a loan from IMF or Saudi and build solar farm in Ethiopia to give them another source of electricity to prolong the filling of the dam.

The same nonsense arguments have stopped construction for our dams for so many years. With Paleet Party crying about dams stealing sindhs water as if they gave a fuck about sindh.

The damn is made and its going to get filled and start working sooner or later. Egypt should come to terms with it and decide whether it wants the band aid to be ripped slowly or in one quick go. Those are the only two options it has.

Last edited:

Dr Adam

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)

Yes, I agree with most of your comment.
Please keep it in mind that the poor country is landlocked however, mostly using Djibouti and to lesser extent Somalia and Eritrea seaports for his imports and exports. Now the Q arises.... are those 3 countries letting Ethiopia to use their ports free of charge or at some fee.... regardless of whatever that may be?
Now here is my argument, if the 3 countries have the right to let Ethiopia use the resources of their countries with some understanding against some payments as user charges, then what is stopping Egypt and Sudan not to negotiate with Ethiopia and come up with some understanding paying Ethiopia, whatever they agree upon and move forward. They have already enjoyed the facility of free water for centuries, given the global economic conditions with scarcity of water resources, now they have to pay. There is no free lunch anymore.
You see.... example of Pak India Indus water treaty is there guaranteed by the World Bank.
My whole thesis is.... that whichever country wants to use this water, instead of indulging into brinkmanship, getting into wars, killing innocent people and wasting their resources, just enter into a long treaty like civilized nations and live in peace.

Vitamin_C

The Nile river water was almost entirely given to Egypt by the European powers before ww2 but Ethiopia was not even consulted.

Ethiopia lost access to the sea when they lost Eritrea both countries have been at war so they are not on good terms. Ethiopia mostly depends on Djibouti for its trade but Djibouti is the home for bases of 4-5 naval powers including Russia, France, USA and China.

Exporting and importing to and from Ethiopia has become expensive since Ethiopia lost their ports in Eritrea.

Ultimately Egypt has to realize that they need to renegotiate their water treaties and Ethiopia has a right on the rivers too not just Egypt. Currently on 27% of Ethiopians are connected to the national grid. This dam will tripple the electricity production of Ethiopia.

My fear is that Egypt has been heavily arming its Navy and Airforce and Ethiopia is no match for their military, so far they have been stalling the negotiations which means they might be planning something militarily to gain leverage over Ethiopia. There are leaked conversations of Egyptians planning to bomb the dam or arm Eritrean rebels to stall the project. The Chief Engineer of the Dam was found dead in his car with bullet wounds.

These people have somehow managed to put together $6 billion to invest in their future, it will be the biggest injustice if the dam is bombed.

Yes, I agree with most of your comment.
Please keep it in mind that the poor country is landlocked however, mostly using Djibouti and to lesser extent Somalia and Eritrea seaports for his imports and exports. Now the Q arises.... are those 3 countries letting Ethiopia to use their ports free of charge or at some fee.... regardless of whatever that may be?
Now here is my argument, if the 3 countries have the right to let Ethiopia use the resources of their countries with some understanding against some payments as user charges, then what is stopping Egypt and Sudan not to negotiate with Ethiopia and come up with some understanding paying Ethiopia, whatever they agree upon and move forward. They have already enjoyed the facility of free water for centuries, given the global economic conditions with scarcity of water resources, now they have to pay. There is no free lunch anymore.
You see.... example of Pak India Indus water treaty is there guaranteed by the World Bank.
My whole thesis is.... that whichever country wants to use this water, instead of indulging into brinkmanship, getting into wars, killing innocent people and wasting their resources, just enter into a long treaty like civilized nations and live in peace.

Citizen X

President (40k+ posts)
Do you think Egypt will allow 50% of its farmland to waste? They will bomb the dam before it gets to that point. Egypt has allowed Ethiopia not less than 15 years to fill the reservoir.

The disagreement is that Ethiopia wants to do it faster than 15 years so it can start generating electricity faster. 3 years means 50% of Egypt's farmland is lost, 6 years means 17% is lost, both will be devastating for a country with 100 million population.

One solution I see is that, Egypt can get a loan from IMF or Saudi and build solar farm in Ethiopia to give them another source of electricity to prolong the filling of the dam.
Well at the moment it is Egypt's problems and Egypt will have to settle on a compromise not the other way round, Egypt is too big a pussy to do any bombing raids and the international community will whips its ass if it does anything like that and most probably make it pay for damages plus more to rebuild it.

Sudan really doesn't seem to have any issue with it, its only the Egyptians as always acting like arseholes. One of the reason is they think the Nile only belongs to them.

Vitamin_C

Ethiopians are taking Egypt military threat seriously and they have the set up SAMs around it.

I dont know how willing the West is to put sanctions on Egypt if it carries out attacks to delay the project or collapse Ethiopia's economy. Ethiopia has a right on the river but they have to work with Egypt as Egypts entire 5000 year history and future wouldnt exist without Nile river.

Main reason for 1967 Arab-Israel war was the Arabs had started work on diverting Jordan river away from tiberius which lead to Israel occupying the entire sea of galilee and Golan to secure their water source. There were no reprecussions for Israel and many Western countries like US started siding with Israel after this conflict.

Well at the moment it is Egypt's problems and Egypt will have to settle on a compromise not the other way round, Egypt is too big a pussy to do any bombing raids and the international community will whips its ass if it does anything like that and most probably make it pay for damages plus more to rebuild it.

Sudan really doesn't seem to have any issue with it, its only the Egyptians as always acting like arseholes. One of the reason is they think the Nile only belongs to them.

Citizen X

President (40k+ posts)
Ethiopians are taking Egypt military threat seriously and they have the set up SAMs around it.

I dont know how willing the West is to put sanctions on Egypt if it carries out attacks to delay the project or collapse Ethiopia's economy. Ethiopia has a right on the river but they have to work with Egypt as Egypts entire 5000 year history and future wouldnt exist without Nile river.

Main reason for 1967 Arab-Israel war was the Arabs had started work on diverting Jordan river away from tiberius which lead to Israel occupying the entire sea of galilee and Golan to secure their water source. There were no reprecussions for Israel and many Western countries like US started siding with Israel after this conflict.
Well Egypt is no Israel that the world will side with it and has to get permission of at least one country's airspace to cross over into Ethiopia and the dam is deep inside Ethiopia and Ethiopia does have Mig 23's and Su 27.

And I feel Egypt is just acting up for no reason, no where has Ethiopia said its going to fuck up Egypts water supply. Wether it fills its damn in 3 years or 30 Egypts water supply is going to get effected something it has to come to terms with and get ready for. And rather than being pushy and acting like a bully it should be nice to Ethiopia so it does it eventually in an orderly manner with the least amount of effect to everyone else. Maybe be even pay Ethiopia for its trouble