Humiliating episode for India - New York Times

Will_Bite

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
The article seems fairly balanced. India miscalculated, and Modi dragged its military into a hot mess, embarrassing them, and himself, in front of the entire world.

It seems to imply that the indian jet was brought down by ground fire, after being lured into a trap. I do believe that he was lured in by the Pak pilots, but it seems obvious that it was the pilots that brought him down. The purpose of luring him into Pak terrority was very calculated. To make sure Pakistan did not intrude into Indian airspace for too long..and 2, make sure the Indian jet carcass falls in Pak territory.

The pilot was captured. That was humiliation for Modi and IAF. He has since been returned. But Im sure Paksitan will glean more than enough intelligence from the jet that he left behind. The electronics of the jet will be reverse engineered to glean information about where the jet took off from, what coordinates were fed into it...what weapons it was carrying, and quite possibly much more.

Zindabad Pakistan.

https://twitter.com/x/status/1101539299793821697
Pakistan Frees Indian Pilot Who Was Beaten by a Mob and Then Served Tea
NEW DELHI — When an Indian fighter pilot who had been captured by Pakistan was released on Friday, it capped a humiliating episode for India and a surreal week for him.

First the pilot, Wing Cmdr. Abhinandan Varthaman, was soaring through the sky in a MiG-21 on Wednesday. Then he was shot down by Pakistani forces.

After parachuting into enemy territory and being surrounded by a mob, he tried to eat some of the documents he was carrying, according to Indian news media reports. He was then badly beaten before being rescued by Pakistani troops.

But that wasn’t the end of it. Over the next few days, videos of him being interrogated in Pakistani custody spread on social media around the world.

Over the past week, the escalation of hostilities, including aerial dogfights and heavy shelling along the border between Pakistan and India — both of which are nuclear powers — set South Asia on edge.

But those tensions eased Friday evening as Wing Commander Varthaman was released shortly after 9:20 p.m. local time.

He walked through a border checkpoint wearing a blue sport coat and white dress shirt, unbuttoned at the neck, and gray slacks. He seemed relaxed. Indian border guards shook his hand and whisked him away. Then he disappeared in a convoy of Indian government vehicles.

He had been scheduled to emerge hours earlier at 5 p.m., and Indian officials said they did not know the reason for the delay. But they seemed unfazed and said Wing Commander Varthaman was happy to be back on Indian soil.

Several outside nations, including the United States and China, had been urging Pakistan to release the pilot to de-escalate the crisis.

On Friday, in a speech shortly before Wing Commander Varthaman was released, India’s prime minister, Narendra Modi, called him “brave” and said he was an example of the “new India.”

“This is an India that will return the damage done by terrorists with interest,” said Mr. Modi, who faces a major election in the coming months. Many Indians are now angry at Mr. Modi and feel that India’s military moves in the past week backfired.

The troubles started on Feb. 14, when a suicide bomber in the Indian-controlled part of Kashmir rammed a car packed with explosives into an Indian military convoy, killing more than 40 troops.

It was the most devastating attack in Kashmir in decades, and India immediately blamed Pakistan, accusing it of helping the bomber. Pakistan denied any role.

Western intelligence officials have said that Pakistani security services allow anti-India militants to operate in Pakistan and that some of these militant groups provide material support and expertise, like bomb making know-how, to insurgents in the Indian-controlled parts of Kashmir.

On Tuesday, India took the bold step of sending a dozen warplanes into Pakistan. They dropped bombs on what India claimed was a terrorist training camp, though witnesses in the area said the bombs had fallen in an empty forest, injuring one man, an older villager.
Pakistan retaliated on Wednesday by flying planes across the border into Indian air space.

While Indian officials have not detailed how Wing Commander Varthaman was shot down, Western officials said they believe he was lured into a trap by Pakistani jets.
They say that after Pakistani jets crossed into Indian airspace, they quickly turned and flew away, tempting their pursuers into an area well covered by Pakistani air defenses, which then hit Wing Commander Varthaman’s plane with a surface-to-air missile.

Wing Commander Varthaman, the son of veteran combat pilot, seemed self-confident throughout the recorded interrogation sessions. He answered some questions, without appearing nervous, and then refused to answer others, like what his mission was, saying: “I’m sorry, sir. That’s all I’m supposed to tell you.”
Asked in a 2011 television documentary what it took to be a fighter pilot, he said, “Bad attitude!”

In one of the videos from this week, he is seen drinking tea and looking relaxed.
“I hope you’ve been treated well with us?” a Pakistani officer asks in English.
“Yes,” Mr. Varthaman says. “I have, and I would like to put this on record and I will not change my statement if I go back to my country also. The officers of the Pakistani Army have looked after me very well. They are thorough gentlemen.”
“This is what I would expect my army to behave as,” he adds. “Am very impressed by the Pakistani Army.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Raj1972

Citizen
India and Modi ko dhool chata di hai Pakistan Army ne
Oh Bhai , India was the first who attacked Terrorist camp in Pakistan. Pakistan just remain inside LOC and did some fake drama !! And within 24 hours you had to return POW.
Who is the winner ? you decide !!

concern_paki

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
abhi to Lockheed Martin sue karne jaa raha as Indian give fake news of F16, none of the warplanes IAF has detroyed, it all media created the hype under influence of prime butcher modi, who killed his 40 soldiers in pulwama just to win 300 seats in the upcoming elections, what a MORON

Oh Bhai , India was the first who attacked Terrorist camp in Pakistan. Pakistan just remain inside LOC and did some fake drama !! And within 24 hours you had to return POW.

miafridi

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
PAK Army fulfilled its promise of surprise to India. They not only surprised them but probably ended the war with that surprise as well..

alimula

Senator (1k+ posts)
beta aj ki baat karo, aur haan apni modi ji ke pichwaray peh marham patti zaroor karna, ya thori thori baraf lagatay rehna, phatti howi bhi ho gi, aur dukh bhi rahi ho gi...
Where is Humiliating episode?
We released 90,000 in 1971 remember?
your country included all civilians staff as well to make 90000 but actually it was 30000 soldiers rest were civilians govt staff.

Iconoclast

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Imaginary drama, delusion of grandeur at the end of the day you lost 2 jets' 1 heli for uprooting 3 trees across LOC.
You're an indian, you could be getting rammed in the arse and still be screaming "We won".
We gave him as he was of no more use to us. Why don't you liberate Khulbushan?
Delusional twat...
Duly ignored for being a stinky indian.

Citizen X

President (40k+ posts)
Oh Bhai , India was the first who attacked Terrorist camp in Pakistan.
Care to share any evidence of it ?

Pakistan just remain inside LOC and did some fake drama !!
Yes and that's why your wing commander was shot down and captured in Pakistani territory and are you contradicting your own governments and medias narrative that Pakistan violated the LoC. So which one is it then ?

And within 24 hours you had to return POW.

We didn't have to, but we did it regardless, while being under no pressure, having the moral and military high ground as a goodwill gesture of peace and show of magnanimity . But do NOT take this as even the remotest sign of weakness.

My sincere advise to you is, stop watching your media and start employing your god given common sense and also start using critical thinking more. 1+1 =2 not 11 as your media and government would have you believe.