The Anti-Smartphone Revolution

AhmadSaleem264

Minister (2k+ posts)
A downside is that masses will then rely on traditional media which is easy to manipulate and favors the elites. Specially in pakistan's context. A lot of political awareness exists just because of smart phones

Masud Rajaa

Siasat member
We can not live without a smart phone anymore

we are connected to everything through it

unless you want to live nomad life.

alis

MPA (400+ posts)
This is some new hipster bullshit.
I have been using Symbian phones since 2004, they were smartphones of the 2000s. This bullshit idea that you have to give up a device to behave like a human is foolish. You can easily avoid these problems with a few steps, for example, I don't have any social media app, just WhatsApp, that does not really count IMO.
The last time I went to Pakistan, in the gatherings of friends I would just get fed up to leave the room as all the people would be watching TikTok on their phones they would stop me from leaving and promise that they won't do it again but after 15 mins, again the same thing.
The problem is that you need self-control. Mobile is the best invention of humanity but it can be the worst if you are not careful.
some rules I go by.

1. I almost never touch my phone in a company, I consider it rude.

2. I don't use social media on my phone, maybe check out Facebook friends on my Laptop, once a day.

3. Apart from music, I don't use the phone for entertainment (videos, youtube, etc) the reasoning is that opening something on Laptop needs a more conscious decision that you are now doing something. On the phone, if you get addicted to media, you get sucked real fast.

4. I try to keep my phone in my pocket or on a charging pad a bit away from myself, so I have to make a conscious decision that I need the phone.

iltaf

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
This is some new hipster bullshit.
I have been using Symbian phones since 2004, they were smartphones of the 2000s. This bullshit idea that you have to give up a device to behave like a human is foolish. You can easily avoid these problems with a few steps, for example, I don't have any social media app, just WhatsApp, that does not really count IMO.
The last time I went to Pakistan, in the gatherings of friends I would just get fed up to leave the room as all the people would be watching TikTok on their phones they would stop me from leaving and promise that they won't do it again but after 15 mins, again the same thing.
The problem is that you need self-control. Mobile is the best invention of humanity but it can be the worst if you are not careful.
some rules I go by.

1. I almost never touch my phone in a company, I consider it rude.

2. I don't use social media on my phone, maybe check out Facebook friends on my Laptop, once a day.

3. Apart from music, I don't use the phone for entertainment (videos, youtube, etc) the reasoning is that opening something on Laptop needs a more conscious decision that you are now doing something. On the phone, if you get addicted to media, you get sucked real fast.

4. I try to keep my phone in my pocket or on a charging pad a bit away from myself, so I have to make a conscious decision that I need the phone.
I agree with you, I do use my smartphone whenever needed and esp do not use any social media on it, never installed it. I even tried to root my phone and have minimal apps and life is easy with a smartphone as well. But I do have friends who use all sorts of social media apps and are highly addicted.

The reason I shared is to have a wake up call for those who are addicted compromising their physical and mental health.