USAID vows support to mango industry **No Mangoes for Pakistani this summer!**

AsifAmeer

Siasat.pk - Blogger
mango_afp543.jpg

http://www.dawn.com/2012/02/01/usaid-vows-support-to-mango-industry.html

This is what I mean when I say EXPORTS are harmful for Pakistan.

ISLAMABAD: The United States has reiterated its pledge to strengthen the local mango industry by removing constraints and strengthening key mango chain players.

Addressing the stakeholders from Punjab and Sindh at the Second Annual Mango Conference ‘Reaching New Export Destinations’ on Tuesday, USAID Mission’s Deputy Head in Pakistan Karen Freeman said the agency had been working with farmers to introduce new opportunities and technologies that would facilitate the development of mango industry.

She added that with assistance of the agency progressive mango farmers were now exporting the fruit to high-end international markets at competitive prices.

“The US mango programme is the turning point in the history of Pakistani mango exports and industry,” she said, hoping that the day is not far when joint efforts would make this exquisite fruit across the globe in high-end markets, earning greater revenues and acclaim for Pakistani farmers.

Syed Fakhr Imam, a former speaker of the National Assembly and a beneficiary of the USAID mango project, urged scientists to develop methods for the chemical control of fungal diseases, which have been playing havoc with mango trees.

Imam, who chaired the concluding session of the conference, suggested that satellite mapping of mango growing areas should be carried out to establish the plant density per hectare. Pakistan has about 5 tons per acre production of mangoes.

During the three technical sessions, the conference discussed orchard management practices, increasing per acre yield, establishment of cold chains, infrastructure development and market demands, post-harvest management techniques, market demands and sea shipment export protocols, and development of indigenous mango varieties production.

The US assistance to Pakistan’s mango industry began in 2009 with a series of programmes meant to boost productivity and sales.

QaiserMirza

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
بہت جلد پاکستان کی سرحدوں پر امریکا کی مدد سے ایسی رکاوٹیں تعمیر کی جائیں گی جن سے جب ضرورت ہو تمام ملک میں ہوا بند کری جا سکے

ہر ادارہ ، ہر کارخانہ ، ہر وہ شعبہ جو عوام کی بنیادی ضرورتیں پورا کرتا ہو ایک کے بعد ایک بند کیا جا رہا ہے

صحیح کہا ہے

ہم سب کو جلد ہی پتھر کے دور میں بھیج دیا جایگا

UKPakistani

Does the US permit Pak mangos into the US in the Summer ?

Reference
List of Approved Fruits and Vegetables
3-234 Fruits and Vegetables Manual 02/2012-168
PPQ
PAKISTAN
ALL NA
Mango, T105-a-21
Yam (tuber), T101-f-3 2
Allium spp. (bulb)
1 Import Conditions:
1. You must obtain an importers Compliance Agreement for irradiation treatment conducted in the United States before you
will be issued an APHIS PPQ Import Permit. Your Compliance Agreement will be valid once you have signed it to certify that
you will meet all regulatory requirements and conditions. For more information, refer to the USDA APHIS PPQ Irradiation web
site. Your Compliance Agreement will be issued for ONE shipping season.
2. You must obtain an APHIS PPQ Import Permit with transit safeguards for overland movement for each shipping season. To
obtain an APHIS PPQ Import Permit, go to e-Permits.
3. Subject to Inspection: This commodity is subject to inspection at the first port of entry, Chicago, and all general requirements of 7 CFR 319.56-3. You must ensure that the commodity is properly manifested, marked and delivered so that the required Custom and Border Protection (CBP) inspections are conducted.
4. Commercial Consignments Only: Commercial consignments are imported for sale and distribution. You are not allowed to import fruits and vegetables in hand carried packages, passenger baggage, mail, or delivered by express courier services
under the Importers Compliance Agreement and the APHIS PPQ Import Permit.
5. Condition of Entry Treatment T105-a-2: You must ensure that each of your commercial consignments receive irradiation treatment at the APHIS PPQ Certified Treatment Facility-Sadex Corporation, Sioux City, Iowa.
6. Phytosanitary Certificate, Pest-Free Inspection: You must ensure that each consignment is inspected by the Ministry of
Food and Agriculture prior to departure and accompanied by a phytosanitary certificate (PC) issued by the government of
Pakistan with the additional declaration (AD) stating that: The fruit in this consignment was subjected to a broad spectrum
fungicidal dip, inspected and found free of Cytosphaera mangiferae and Xanthomonas campestris pv. mangiferaeindicae."
7. Sample Pallet: You are responsible for ensuring that a sample pallet accompanies the shipment destined to the USA and
that it contains a representative sample of the shipment. This will be presented for inspection at the first port of entry, Chicago.
Failure to include a sample pallet will result in the immediate re-exportation of the shipment. (Sample pallet specifications).
8. You are not allowed to import untreated mangoes into Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Territories, and any U.S land/border
port under this Importers Compliance Agreement and the APHIS PPQ Import Permit. Consignments of untreated mangoes
are allowed entry ONLY directly into Chicago O'Hare International Airport as air freight commercial cargo.
9. You must ensure that the mangoes are shipped in APHIS approved insect-proof packaging. All openings in the packages
must be covered by material with holes no greater than 0.8 mm at the widest point; this is equivalent to a mesh size of no
greater than 0.6 mm x 0.6 mm.
10. Repacking of articles is not allowed after arrival into the United States.
11.Shipping season for Pakistan mangoes: May 1, 2011-September 30, 2011.
12.You are responsible for ensuring that each of the 15 requirements contained in the Transit Safeguards for Overland Movement are met in addition to the requirements listed in the import permit and FAVIR.
For Inspection Procedures, refer to the Officer Instructions in the Fruits and Vegetables Import Requirements
(FAVIR)

My understanding, USA will only allow Pak magos into USA May till Sept, Only into Chicago Airport, then onward to Sioux City in Iowa, before onward distribution into the USA. So what they are saying is sell them to the World but not to us

I cannot see how that makes Pak mangos competitive

No such restrictions in Europe, and UK is the biggest Mango Market in the EEC

So I guess that means more for me in the Summer :)

AsifAmeer

Siasat.pk - Blogger
[MENTION=23831]UKPakistani[/MENTION] haan.. more mangoes for you... at the cost of "gareeb awam"

Truly, ignorance is a bliss.

only_truths

Minister (2k+ posts)
I love Pakistani Mangoes. Export to India. I love Chounsa. Yey Alphonso wale keemat bahut badaathe jaa rehein hain?

Last edited:

eysonm

Minister (2k+ posts)
Yahan worst quality mall distribute keya jata hai, which is still so tasty. just imagine what will b export quality. our vegetables, fruits, rice, flour etc have taste in it. not like tasteless typical engineered fruits available in foreign countries. bus corruption na ho toh this country can rule the world.

adnan_younus

why wud it be at teh copst of ghareeb awam. the only cost ghareeb awam wil be paying is not eating mangoes or eating lower quality mangoes... in return there wil be influx of export money into our economy which will SOME what benefit ghareeb awaam... the actual thing needed is regulation on the income of poor farmerms and the lions share the land lords take....
@UKPakistani haan.. more mangoes for you... at the cost of "gareeb awam"

Truly, ignorance is a bliss.

AsifAmeer

Siasat.pk - Blogger
Nahi yar. When they export, it adds to inflation in the local economy. On top of that, exports provide dollar liquidity to the State Bank, which turns around and print more Rupee... to pay back to the exporter. So its a double whamy for inflation. Prices go up!

why wud it be at teh copst of ghareeb awam. the only cost ghareeb awam wil be paying is not eating mangoes or eating lower quality mangoes... in return there wil be influx of export money into our economy which will SOME what benefit ghareeb awaam... the actual thing needed is regulation on the income of poor farmerms and the lions share the land lords take....

adnan_younus

hmmmmm...... but exports are good right...so at what parameters exports shud be acceptible???
Nahi yar. When they export, it adds to inflation in the local economy. On top of that, exports provide dollar liquidity to the State Bank, which turns around and print more Rupee... to pay back to the exporter. So its a double whamy for inflation. Prices go up!

Unicorn

Banned
The only difference b/w u and a bucket of sh!t is a bucket. Did you come up with this project of Afghan Fart Defence Operation urself or did you have to talk to Zaid Hamid about it?

Now I gotta call @Unicorn again. He's been collecting my quotes lately. I think when i die, he'll write the damn book and i wont get a dime out of it.

Yes the are recorded on a word file backup in a zip drive and off site back up.

AsifAmeer

Siasat.pk - Blogger
Do this. Open up my article http://tinyurl.com/pakgoldstandard

scroll down to "Fallacy of International Trade". I explain the conditions and exceptions. Wait. Lemme just paste it here

Fallacy of International Trade:

Every major industrial sector in Pakistan aims for the International markets even if there remains a severe shortage of goods in the local market. Profitability dictates business decisions. Accept it as a part of life. Fleeing goods from the local market further causes inflation. In return for goods, Pakistan receives inflation by injection of dollar liquidity into the State Bank which pays the exporters in Pak Rupee. Exports do not help Pakistan where it stands today. It is productive to export products with deflationary pricing trend in the local market. With this in mind, everything disqualifies for export in the current market situation. Also Export transactions should be settled in Pak Rs only. Case against importation of Consumer goods is just as strong. This excludes basic necessities. Importation of Capital Goods may cause cyclical deficits but has higher returns for the long time. Taxation and tariffs should be used to accommodate this policy.

hmmmmm...... but exports are good right...so at what parameters exports shud be acceptible???

adnan_younus

so exports shud be for surplus items... demand/supply will result in increase of prices and thus direct impact of inflation.. having said that.. i dont see it practically happen that we trade in Pak Rs unless we are a super power... or have good influence over otehr countires..... we had this discussion before..
Do this. Open up my article http://tinyurl.com/pakgoldstandard

scroll down to "Fallacy of International Trade". I explain the conditions and exceptions. Wait. Lemme just paste it here

AsifAmeer

Siasat.pk - Blogger
we trade in Pak Rs unless we are a super power

I think ur refering to settling of Balance of Pakistan EXPORT payments in PKR. hena?

Yaar eak baat batao. If suppose you have a camera, worth Rs90,000, I wanna buy and you said "Yaar Asif I will sell it to you for $1,000"

I will think to myself,... ok! mera kya! He wants dollar and there is no additional cost to me.. sure! I'll go to the money exchange, give 90,000Rs and buy the $1000 and hand it to you.

Now the State Bank, can also set up trading desks to facilitate this "money exchange" or what they call "Open Market Operation" by central banks to facilitate the BoP settlement.

Again, I am not asking that we pay in Pak Rupee for IMPORTS. Ofcourse, no country would accept that because they are selling and we are buying. So they dictate the rules. But when Pakistan exports, State Bank should demand PKR for settling export line of credits or l/c

so exports shud be for surplus items... demand/supply will result in increase of prices and thus direct impact of inflation.. having said that.. i dont see it practically happen that we trade in Pak Rs unless we are a super power... or have good influence over otehr countires..... we had this discussion before..

AsifAmeer

Siasat.pk - Blogger
Check this out dude.. [MENTION=13165]AbdulRehman[/MENTION] deleted my post!!

There is a saying in Pakistani political circles "If there isnt a fatwa against you, you dont matter"

Now if I could get more deleted posts under my belt, my status will be elevated to PROFESSIONAL.... like yours!

Yes the are recorded on a word file backup in a zip drive and off site back up.