I grew up w/anti-Semitism in the UAE. Peace w/Israel is a dream come true

Solomon2

MPA (400+ posts)
forward-logo-with-tagline.png

I grew up with anti-Semitism in the UAE. Peace with Israel is a dream come true.
Mujahed KobbeAugust 14, 2020

Never in a million years did I believe there would be a deal in my lifetime where an Arab Gulf state would recognize the Jewish state. Watching the news this week of Israel and the United Arab Emirates normalizing relations was something of a dream come true.

From the age of eight until adulthood, I called the UAE home. It was a place I enjoyed most of my firsts: my first day of school, the first time I ditched school, my first kiss, my first chicken shawarma, crashing my first car.

It’s also where I had my first experience with anti-Semitism. Of course, I didn’t know what that actually was at the time.

screen-shot-2020-08-14-at-45019-pm-1597438274.png

The author (center, with glasses) in his high school photo from the Abu Dhabi International School

Calling Israel and its Jewish inhabitants the enemy of Islam and God was as common as breathing while I was growing up. Anti-Semitism was in my home. It was in the school hallways and yard. You heard it at the café while having a hookah, enjoying a chicken shawarma and playing a hand of tarneeb.

At Friday prayers, a religious cleric at any given mosque was sure to make a comment about how Allah will one day destroy Israel from the map and all the yahoud that live in it so that our brothers may finally be free.

Believing in conspiracies like the idea that Israel was the true mastermind behind 9/11 or that Israel is funding ISIS was prevalent, mainstream, part of the culture. It was a hate taught and passed down through generations by people who had never once interacted with a Jew.

It’s so weird looking back at it now, trying to understand how it is that I had this hate in my heart for an entire group of people I had never met.

I myself didn’t meet a Jewish person until I was about 25 years old and traveling through New York. He also happened to be an Israeli.

I’m not going to lie: I was nervous when he first told me where he was from. I didn’t know how to feel about, if I was supposed to walk away, or punch him in the face.

But something came over me, a curiosity, a deep desire to know more about this person I was taught to just hate. We talked about a wide range of topics in the short time we spent together, but the one that interested me the most was Israel.

You could tell he loved his country; there was a glow about him when talking about his favorite bakery that he would go to on the marina, or how he enjoys his chicken shawarma with pickles and garlic paste — just the way I would eat it as a kid in the UAE.

When I told him where I was coming from and that I was Lebanese, he smiled and said he would love to one day visit Dubai or the beaches in Beirut. And then, he quickly realized, as I did, that this would probably never happen in our life time.

The realization that came over me was intense: This person is just like me. We listened to the same kind of music, had the same taste in food, and would laugh at similar jokes.

It wasn’t a long interaction, but it was long enough to make me question the hate I had been carrying with me for as long as I could remember. It sent me down a road to a better understanding and acceptance.

When I heard about the news of the agreement between Israel and the UAE this week, I was reminded about this interaction, and how it fundamentally changed me. Watching high level Emiratis on twitter show their support for Israel, actually tweeting the UAE flag and Israeli flag together, sparked hope in me. Seeing the UAE let go of its hate for a country and a people, just as I did, made me so proud of the country I had called home and grew up in.

The news was soon followed by other reports, that Bahrain and Oman would soon follow the UAE. The truth is, if I had to pick a Gulf state to go first, it would have been the UAE, a unique and vast melting pot of diversity, a leader in the region at accepting nationalities and religions from all over.

Until this week, that acceptance was universal but for one country, one nationality, one religion. But that is finally about to change.

I can’t wait to watch more of the Gulf countries follow their lead. I can now get my passport stamped by Israel and then stamped by the UAE on the same page. The first thing I am going to do is finally travel to Tel Aviv and then make a stop in Dubai so I can compare chicken shawarma sandwiches.

Mujahed Kobbe is a former resident of the UAE and co-host of The Habibi Power Hour podcast.

Aslan

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
UAE recognition of Israel is not a peace deal.The peace deal should be between Israel and Palestine which Zionist occupiers will never sign.In 1914 there were only 59000 Jews.This can be verified by records available.Millions of Jews came from outside and stole Netanyahoo should go back to Warsaw Poland where his father came from.

Caballero

Senator (1k+ posts)
now u know why one of the wealthiest Jew of last 100 years Sir James Goldsmith agreed to the marriage of his bastard jewish daughter to Imran Ahmed Niazi.......and today Sir James estate is raising his sons and Imran's bastard daughter

The real reason Imran+Jemima split was because Jemima was becoming a political liability for Imran's future. What is the proof that Imran and Jemima actually really divorced?

Remember Imran kept sleeping at Jemima Goldsmith's estate even after "divorce" until media started talking and he realized the political damage of it.

Jews are known for long term planning and investments unlike we the emotional Muslims

Sonya Khan

Last edited:

bl0u81

Senator (1k+ posts)
The first thing I am going to do is finally travel to Tel Aviv and then make a stop in Dubai so I can compare chicken shawarma sandwiches.

You are not going that fast. First they would strip search you, naked walk on the airport, 48 hrs of questioning. After all of this, may be the shawarma vendor may not sell you the chicken shawarma because of your background.

Aliimran1

ہر شے اپنے اصل کی طرف لوٹتی ہے
کوئی اچنبھے کی بات نہیں
پاک فوج اور عمران ہنود و یہود کی راہ میں سب سے
بڑی رکاوٹ ہیں --- اسی لئے دن رات بھارتی اور
یہودیوں کے ٹٹوں ان کے خلاف لکھتے نہیں تھکتے
اگر نورے مرداری اور فضلو حکومت میں رہ جاتے تو
آج پاکستان کا نقشہ ہی تبدیل ہو چکا ہوتا
اے الله ہم تیرے شکر گزار ہیں اور یہ کے بعد
پاک فوج اور عمران کا شکریہ

Last edited:

akinternational

Minister (2k+ posts)
Did you forget genocide killing of Palestinians????? also do not forget the proxy killing of humans everywhere in the world.. If Zionists want to live in peace its ok but let the world live in peace too.

WAHID HAL INQELAB INQELAB ISLAMI INQELAB.... TAYYAR HO JAIYE

First Strike

now u know why one of the wealthiest Jew of last 100 years Sir James Goldsmith agreed to the marriage of his bastard jewish daughter to Imran Ahmed Niazi.......and today Sir James estate is raising his sons and Imran's bastard daughter

The real reason Imran+Jemima split was because Jemima was becoming a political liability for Imran's future. What is the proof that Imran and Jemima actually really divorced?

Remember Imran kept sleeping at Jemima Goldsmith's estate even after "divorce" until media started talking and he realized the political damage of it.

Jews are known for long term planning and investments unlike we the emotional Muslims

Sonya Khan

Patwari pig spotted.

Caballero

Senator (1k+ posts)
ہر شے اپنے اصل کی طرف لوٹتی ہے
کوئی اچنبھے کی بات نہیں
پاک فوج اور عمران ہنود و یہود کی راہ میں سب سے
بڑی رکاوٹ ہیں --- اسی لئے دن رات بھارتی اور
یہودیوں کے ٹٹوں ان کے خلاف لکھتے نہیں تھکتے
اگر نورے مرداری اور فضلو حکومت میں رہ جاتے تو
آج پاکستان کا نقشہ ہی تبدیل ہو چکا ہوتا
اے الله ہم تیرے شکر گزار ہیں اور یہ کے بعد
پاک فوج اور عمران کا شکریہ

abb yay chooran nahi bikna ?

v soon u will see Tariq Jameel giving out sermons for Yahhood !

_40813894_address203ap.gif

442966220.jpg

karachiwala

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
Palestinians grew up dreaming of having peace and their land back ...... It’s still a dream come true ....
lol that's a nice one - the people who are responsible for unrest in the entire world looking for peace? jews have nothing in common with peace period

karachiwala

Did you forget that "genocide killing of Palestinians" is merely a widely-circulated falsehood? Why should anybody decent be bound by such a thing?
don't be ridiculous the history has not been changed yet. I have heard this from jewish radio host describing the genocide of Palestinians. and when you ask why - because you are NOT decent enough to agree to facts

Citizen X

President (40k+ posts)
Did you forget that "genocide killing of Palestinians" is merely a widely-circulated falsehood? Why should anybody decent be bound by such a thing?
Yeah and I guess these figures are also just "widely circulated falsehood"

I know being from the Hasabra you have to defend the atrocities of your nation, but what ever way you cut it, you cannot justify a brutal and bloody military occupation.

HSiddiqui

forward-logo-with-tagline.png

I grew up with anti-Semitism in the UAE. Peace with Israel is a dream come true.
Mujahed KobbeAugust 14, 2020

Never in a million years did I believe there would be a deal in my lifetime where an Arab Gulf state would recognize the Jewish state. Watching the news this week of Israel and the United Arab Emirates normalizing relations was something of a dream come true.

From the age of eight until adulthood, I called the UAE home. It was a place I enjoyed most of my firsts: my first day of school, the first time I ditched school, my first kiss, my first chicken shawarma, crashing my first car.

It’s also where I had my first experience with anti-Semitism. Of course, I didn’t know what that actually was at the time.

screen-shot-2020-08-14-at-45019-pm-1597438274.png

The author (center, with glasses) in his high school photo from the Abu Dhabi International School

Calling Israel and its Jewish inhabitants the enemy of Islam and God was as common as breathing while I was growing up. Anti-Semitism was in my home. It was in the school hallways and yard. You heard it at the café while having a hookah, enjoying a chicken shawarma and playing a hand of tarneeb.

At Friday prayers, a religious cleric at any given mosque was sure to make a comment about how Allah will one day destroy Israel from the map and all the yahoud that live in it so that our brothers may finally be free.

Believing in conspiracies like the idea that Israel was the true mastermind behind 9/11 or that Israel is funding ISIS was prevalent, mainstream, part of the culture. It was a hate taught and passed down through generations by people who had never once interacted with a Jew.

It’s so weird looking back at it now, trying to understand how it is that I had this hate in my heart for an entire group of people I had never met.

I myself didn’t meet a Jewish person until I was about 25 years old and traveling through New York. He also happened to be an Israeli.

I’m not going to lie: I was nervous when he first told me where he was from. I didn’t know how to feel about, if I was supposed to walk away, or punch him in the face.

But something came over me, a curiosity, a deep desire to know more about this person I was taught to just hate. We talked about a wide range of topics in the short time we spent together, but the one that interested me the most was Israel.

You could tell he loved his country; there was a glow about him when talking about his favorite bakery that he would go to on the marina, or how he enjoys his chicken shawarma with pickles and garlic paste — just the way I would eat it as a kid in the UAE.

When I told him where I was coming from and that I was Lebanese, he smiled and said he would love to one day visit Dubai or the beaches in Beirut. And then, he quickly realized, as I did, that this would probably never happen in our life time.

The realization that came over me was intense: This person is just like me. We listened to the same kind of music, had the same taste in food, and would laugh at similar jokes.

It wasn’t a long interaction, but it was long enough to make me question the hate I had been carrying with me for as long as I could remember. It sent me down a road to a better understanding and acceptance.

When I heard about the news of the agreement between Israel and the UAE this week, I was reminded about this interaction, and how it fundamentally changed me. Watching high level Emiratis on twitter show their support for Israel, actually tweeting the UAE flag and Israeli flag together, sparked hope in me. Seeing the UAE let go of its hate for a country and a people, just as I did, made me so proud of the country I had called home and grew up in.

The news was soon followed by other reports, that Bahrain and Oman would soon follow the UAE. The truth is, if I had to pick a Gulf state to go first, it would have been the UAE, a unique and vast melting pot of diversity, a leader in the region at accepting nationalities and religions from all over.

Until this week, that acceptance was universal but for one country, one nationality, one religion. But that is finally about to change.

I can’t wait to watch more of the Gulf countries follow their lead. I can now get my passport stamped by Israel and then stamped by the UAE on the same page. The first thing I am going to do is finally travel to Tel Aviv and then make a stop in Dubai so I can compare chicken shawarma sandwiches.

Mujahed Kobbe is a former resident of the UAE and co-host of The Habibi Power Hour podcast.

It is not a peace deal, it is a purchase of some immoral souls by JEWs, the soul that were supposed to be the voice of Muslims were bought by JEWs in return of monetary rewards and assurances of their monarchies, at least this immoral deal between these cowardly Munafiqs have come forward, the world recognizes them now, I am surprised you MUJAHID KOBBE impatiently waited for this deal and you never had a desire to see the deal of Palestinians getting their land back, the deal that was promised by the International Organization known as UN, HUMAN RIGHTS , AMNESTY and what not so called peace makers and was looked after by these Middle Eastern pimps whom we called Khadim e Harmain wa Sharifain, or the leaders of Islamic world, or OIC or now I even feel my self a stupid for thinking entire life that middle east is a Muslim dominating region, NO NOT AT ALL, middle east is a swamp of the worst of humanity yes they are con artists , they are the same about whom Quran has mentioned on several ayats, they pose as they are the true followers but in fact these are the people looking for an opportunity and they will turn to the worldly benefits they day they get an opportunity. We saw them all.

Last edited:

thinking

Its seems a specially written..That's true...I didn't see Arabs of Emirati..Saudis.and some others hates Zioinest..His claim is wrong..I only saw.. Palestinese.. Syrian.Turks..Iranian..Iraqis.. Lebanon.. Egyptian (not all.only who belong to Muslims brother hoods ) peoples hates Zioinest from the core of Thiers hearts in Arabs countries..May be I missed some others as I never met them personally...Any way...it's very sad that Arabs start recognising Israhell...This will written in the history with sorrows.. sadness....Muslims are the only one who have more traitors than any one else in the history...This is sad..but true...

Sonya Khan

Minister (2k+ posts)
We have been ordered in daily prayers five times a day to ask for enlightenment so that we don’t tread the path of ‘Maghdoob and Duualeen’ ...... That means Jews and Christians......
If now Muslims want to befriend them whom Allah clearly forbid us that they can never be your friends then it’s destruction of those particular Muslims ....
May Allah give guidance to our rulers to take the right path in these testing times ....
I fear in the end it will be Pakistan along with Afghanistan and Turkey that will be pitched against Israel .....

jeelu

Minister (2k+ posts)

Sonya Khan
Lol ur obsession with imran khan is disturbing. . U honestly need to get urself checked :/ .. unless ofcourse u r getting paid for it