Another reason why we need to spend more on educating people and less on giving DHA plots to our bel

awan4ever

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
http://tribune.com.pk/story/135092/educating-girls-every-third-child-in-sindh-is-out-of-school/

KARACHI:
Every third child in Sindh is out of school even though school enrolment in Sindh is four per cent higher this year, said the education secretary.
Naheed S Durrani, the secretary for the department of education and literacy, was speaking at a seminar titled Empowerment through girls education in contemporary Muslim societies on Saturday.
Of those listed as literate in the country, 33 per cent can read one sentence, 21 per cent can read a story and 27 can calculate two-digit subtractions while only 13 per cent can work on three-digit division problems. These are not government statistics, Durrani clarified. During the seminar, she wished to present herself as a member of the civil society rather than a bureaucrat.
With the present situation, it seems highly challenging to meet the Millennium Development Goals of the universal completion of primary education and elimination of gender parity in education, she said.
During the secretarys presentation, a slide read that there are a total of 11 million school going children in Sindh but only 6.4 million are enrolled in schools. The total number of schools was listed as 49,605 with 150,000 teachers. And of the Rs70 billion budget, 85 per cent is spent on salaries, Durrani said.
Referring to the challenges of teaching, Durrani said that lecturers, professors and teachers do not want to be stationed outside the city. In fact, most even refused to take courses in Malir and Ibrahim Hyderi, she added. Clearly frustrated with the lack of due diligence by some teachers, she said that when show-cause notices were issued and action was taken against them the teachers started protesting, only to be supported and covered extensively by the media.
According to the secretary, 85 per cent of the schools in Sindh were in a space of four or less rooms. Another 20 per cent do not even have a building and 60 per cent have no access to clean drinking water. Meanwhile, 61 per cent of the schools were working with just one or two teachers.
Durrani said her department is trying to achieve a merger and consolidation between schools to ensure accountability of teachers and other resources. She also endorsed greater administrative autonomy in which school headmasters will make the final call when hiring staff members. This will also help eliminate teachers, who are not appointed on merit but rather through influential means.
The secretary accepted that the socio-economic context for Sindh and Balochistan has been tougher than other provinces especially with the floods. On scarcity of jobs, she defended her department by saying that the education department is not a recruitment agency and its job is to educate and not create jobs.
Educationist and teacher trainer Abbas Husain said there are six major influences for girls education in Pakistan. First, her family and the muhalla she lives in; second, the political environment of her country and the laws on education; third, her school and its curriculum, which should be free of gender biases; four, her office space in which many positions allotted for women are occupied by men; five, the role of religious institutions that limit the role and growth of women; and six, the media, which presents women as showpieces and trophies in advertisements.
Talking to The Express Tribune about her personal experience, columist Zubeida Mustafa said that she noticed a stark difference in education when one of her daughters did her O Levels and the other one did Matric. Frankly, private schools do not represent the state of education in the country, she said.
She supported the need for a balance in the standard of education between private and public schools and said that the decline began with the start of nationalisation. Private schooling is very expensive. Some years ago, I calculated it to be one-fourth of the budget of a double-income household with two children. Now I expect it to be a bigger chunk.
Published in The Express Tribune, March 20th, 2011.

Last edited:

adnan_swati

Senator (1k+ posts)
education has never been a topic of discussion for our media as well becuz there is no masala in it . i can surely tell that knowledge of our anchors about education is of very basic level

Last edited:

rana14801

Senator (1k+ posts)
i realy wonder what this has to do with DHA plots. enough budgets have been allotted in Sindh as well as in other provinces. more over it is the responsibility of provincial govts to look into it. funds have been allotted for various scools and completion reports have been shown where as there exsist no school on ground. funds have gone into the pockets of either establishment or public representatives.if u see the toatal education budget of Baluchistan it could be less than expences being done on president and PM house. so why to accuse army. just look at one aspect that army officers and all ranks r bound for 24 hours where as in civil officers hardly attend 3-4 hours in office (average) and rest of the staff's average could be 5-6 hours excluding holidays.so if an army man serves for 20 years( period after which he becomes eligible for applying a residential plot)that means he has served 4 times more than a civilian govt employee. in 20 years of army service people stay away from families for a minimum half the service and more over they serve in hard areas like mountains,deserts or far flung areas where no one like to go. why one should compare it with education in this country. let me tell u that every entitled person is not allotted plot or land.we have to see and compare the neighboring country where on enrollment they ask the person where he would like to live after his retirement? they start getting contribution/deduction from his pay on monthly basis. now same is being done here and people pay for all army housing schemes during their service and remaining amount is paid as lum sum out of their pension commutation.so i request people here that do not start criticizing pak army without having knowledge about it plz.

awan4ever

i realy wonder what this has to do with DHA plots. enough budgets have been allotted in Sindh as well as in other provinces. more over it is the responsibility of provincial govts to look into it. funds have been allotted for various scools and completion reports have been shown where as there exsist no school on ground. funds have gone into the pockets of either establishment or public representatives.if u see the toatal education budget of Baluchistan it could be less than expences being done on president and PM house. so why to accuse army. just look at one aspect that army officers and all ranks r bound for 24 hours where as in civil officers hardly attend 3-4 hours in office (average) and rest of the staff's average could be 5-6 hours excluding holidays.so if an army man serves for 20 years( period after which he becomes eligible for applying a residential plot)that means he has served 4 times more than a civilian govt employee. in 20 years of army service people stay away from families for a minimum half the service and more over they serve in hard areas like mountains,deserts or far flung areas where no one like to go. why one should compare it with education in this country. let me tell u that every entitled person is not allotted plot or land.we have to see and compare the neighboring country where on enrollment they ask the person where he would like to live after his retirement? they start getting contribution/deduction from his pay on monthly basis. now same is being done here and people pay for all army housing schemes during their service and remaining amount is paid as lum sum out of their pension commutation.so i request people here that do not start criticizing pak army without having knowledge about it plz.

I have lived all my life in Lahore and Islamabad and not in Pind Dadan Khan so i think I have a fair idea of how 'entitled' the army guys are and how many plots they end up getting and also how DHA is the most profitable business for the army at the tax payers expense.

You should go and watch the following program:

http://www.siasat.pk/forum/showthre...ease-Join-The-March-For-Education-in-Pakistan

adnan_swati

Senator (1k+ posts)

http://www.siasat.pk/forum/showthre...-.-quot-military-education-quot-by-dr.-ayesha

awan4ever

[video]http://www.youtube.com/edemergencypk[/video]

Subscribe to this channel on youtube.

usmanca

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
[hilar][hilar][hilar][hilar][hilar][hilar][hilar][hilar]
3-21-2011_66019_1.gif

[hilar][hilar][hilar][hilar][hilar][hilar][hilar][hilar]

cefspan

Minister (2k+ posts)
Now , many things are there about PAK ARMY , which I cannot understand ...

1- Army and Nawab of Kalabagh surrender . (Jhuti Quran ki kasam )
2-Operation Gibralter.
3-Tashkent treaty (Army did it via Ayub Khan)
4-Fall of Dhaka (Army cream wanted to continue sticking to throne)
5-Yahya Khan + General Rani
6-Whole Afghan war aka Jihad drama
(bichara muslmanoon ko Americans kae liyae use kraya PAk Army nae , Same water route USSR wanted is now officially given to China in Gawader)
7-Corruption in Army.
8-Kargil Issue.

The bitter truth is that our Army needs a change ,

Border pae ja kae jo SIpahi larta hae , Shaheed hota hae , us ki baouwa ko 5000/month miltae haen , Kuch aur paisae ,
Aur GENERALS , who literary do nothing in our army , aeg Musharaf get plots, money , etc..

adnan_swati

Senator (1k+ posts)
Now , many things are there about PAK ARMY , which I cannot understand ...

1- Army and Nawab of Kalabagh surrender . (Jhuti Quran ki kasam )
2-Operation Gibralter.
3-Tashkent treaty (Army did it via Ayub Khan)
4-Fall of Dhaka (Army cream wanted to continue sticking to throne)
5-Yahya Khan + General Rani
6-Whole Afghan war aka Jihad drama
(bichara muslmanoon ko Americans kae liyae use kraya PAk Army nae , Same water route USSR wanted is now officially given to China in Gawader)
7-Corruption in Army.
8-Kargil Issue.

The bitter truth is that our Army needs a change ,

Border pae ja kae jo SIpahi larta hae , Shaheed hota hae , us ki baouwa ko 5000/month miltae haen , Kuch aur paisae ,
Aur GENERALS , who literary do nothing in our army , aeg Musharaf get plots, money , etc..

very easy to understand. army think that this country is made for them .thats all