Curiosity rover lands on Mars (Official thread) - Post all updates on here

Vitamin_C

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Some facts.

How far is earth from Mars?
can be anywhere from 36 million miles to over 250 million miles apart
it took 8 months to reach Mars.

36million - 250million wow compare that to the moon which is about 400,000km... or less than half million mile...
It means that for example if moon was 2 meter from the earth then mars would be 200 meters - 1km away.

xshadow

Minister (2k+ posts)
Can somebody explain me
What transmission modes and mediums are used to communicate and operate Curiosity Rover?
How long does it take to transmit one sided signal?

I tried to do my own research but couldn't get the answers of these questions. I need this info so I could estimate how long does it take to execute one complete instruction remotely?

I was curious about the response time of Curiosity Rover that how operator operates it by sending the signal and waits for response? What happens if Curiosity Rover needs immediate action? I know that scientists have already tackled these issues but I want to know how. I'm not expecting the answers based on only official resources but anybody who can give his personal and professional opinion can share his knowledge regarding these matters.

Any useful info will be appreciated.

aq.inqalabi

Senator (1k+ posts)
Re: (If you have had enough of Agha Waqar science) Mars rover Curiosity set to land later today!

If u compare these two matters: 1- To spend billions in order to go to oxygenLESS and manLESS Mars with; 2- To give world the greatest invention of mankind history to run machines on water-kit instead of Petrol that will delete pollution on earth; Invention of Agha Waqar is millions time more valuable than to waste trillions on useless Mar's trips. Billions of people here on earth are poor and are in need of inventions like that Agha has given them. These some theoretical Jahil Ph.D's in Pakistan who are yelling on Agha in TV shows like mad rascals are ignorant and jealous. U will see that when this Kit will start to work in whole Pakistan and then in world, these Jealous idiots will hide their faces from Public.

These Jahil Ph.D's are stuck with old method of electrolysis which indeed cannot run water car. But these Jealous PH.D have no brain to grasp the truth that Agha has invented totally new method of Electrolysis that runs with Series RLC circuit in RESONANCE in capacitance mode at very high voltage; therefore It uses even less battery than car Radio and can run Car on water only even if u drive it from Karachi to Gilgit.

A Bold truth is, that a few theoretical Scientists and Ph.Ds are Jahil Ignorant who attach this invention with the "Law of Conservation of Energy" These Ph.D's are like that donkey of Noble Quran that is loaded with Books[Quran 62:5**. Aghas Water-Kit is the greatest invention of mankind history & that invention has no any relation with the law of conservation of energy & Law of thermodynamics. Soon a time will come when these a few Jahil theoretical Ph.Ds who are insulting Agha Waqar in "TV SHOWS", will be hiding their faces from public. Please note that the biggest "Practical Ph.D scientist" of Pakistan A.Q Khan has supported this invention. A Ph.D has good knowledge but he cannot claim that he knows all and his knowledge is complete. COMPLETE KNOWLEDGE IS ONLY with Allah Jalla Aala Aleem-ul-Khabir.

If Albert Einstein, Isaac Newton, & King of Inventors Thomas Edison were alive today, they would had travelled to the house of Agha Waqar in Khairpur Sindh Pakistan to salute Agha Waqar. If "Alfred Nobel" of Sweden could come out of his grave today, he could has suggested "Noble Prize Committee" that please change name of "Nobel Prize" to "Agha Waqar Prize". Reader should note that king of inventors EDISON who also invented electrical lamp was so poor that he used to sell Newspapers and used to cultivate vegetables in his house, so to sell them in order to pay expenses of his education.

Just one and simple question : Who is stopping our dear brother Agha Waqar from applying for patent??????????

Because when one apply for patent he has to give all the details about the thing for which he is applying for patent , and for your kind information for patent there is no governmental help required, so instead of wasting your and our time plzzzzz ask Agha Waqar bhai to apply for patent .........

petrol ka petrol aur pani ka pani foran hojaega:)

awan4ever

Can somebody explain me
What transmission modes and mediums are used to communicate and operate Curiosity Rover?

I tried to do my own research but couldn't get the answers of these questions. I need this info so I could estimate how long does it take to execute one complete instruction remotely?

I was curious about the response time of Curiosity Rover that how operator operates it by sending the signal and waits for response? What happens if Curiosity Rover needs immediate action? I know that scientists have already tackled these issues but I want to know how. I'm not expecting the answers based on only official resources but anybody who can give his personal and professional opinion can share his knowledge regarding these matters.

Search here

http://www.space.com/

or

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Science_Laboratory#Spacecraft

Communications: Curiosity is equipped with significant telecom redundancy with several means of communication – an X band transmitter and receiver that can communicate directly with Earth, and a UHF Electra-Lite software-defined radio for communicating with Mars orbiters.

Communication with orbiters is expected to be the main path for data return to Earth, since the orbiters have both more power and larger antennas than the lander.Telecommunication includes a small deep space transponder on the descent stage and a solid-state power amplifier on the rover for X-Band. The rover also has two UHF radios. An average of 14 minutes, 6 seconds will be required for signals to travel between Earth and Mars. Curiosity can communicate with Earth directly in speeds up to 32 kbit/s, but the bulk of the data transfer should be relayed through the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter and Odyssey orbiter, which are much more powerful and have better antennas, thus being able to communicate faster with Earth. Data transfer speeds between Curiosity and each orbiter may reach 2 Mbit/s and 256 kbit/s, respectively, but each orbiter is only able to communicate with Curiosity for about 8 minutes per day.

At landing, telemetry was monitored by the Mars Odyssey satellite, Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter and ESA's Mars Express. Odyssey is capable of relaying UHF telemetry back to Earth in real time. The relay time varies with the distance between the two planets and took 13:46 minutes at the time of landing.

The rover is operated by sending a set of command sequences which it executes and then waits for the next set. Due to time lag of 14 minutes it is not possible to drive the vehicle in real time so it is mostly a stop & go movement as per set of commands sent.

xshadow

Minister (2k+ posts)
Search here

http://www.space.com/

or

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Science_Laboratory#Spacecraft

Communications: Curiosity is equipped with significant telecom redundancy with several means of communication – an X band transmitter and receiver that can communicate directly with Earth, and a UHF Electra-Lite software-defined radio for communicating with Mars orbiters.

Communication with orbiters is expected to be the main path for data return to Earth, since the orbiters have both more power and larger antennas than the lander.Telecommunication includes a small deep space transponder on the descent stage and a solid-state power amplifier on the rover for X-Band. The rover also has two UHF radios. An average of 14 minutes, 6 seconds will be required for signals to travel between Earth and Mars. Curiosity can communicate with Earth directly in speeds up to 32 kbit/s, but the bulk of the data transfer should be relayed through the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter and Odyssey orbiter, which are much more powerful and have better antennas, thus being able to communicate faster with Earth. Data transfer speeds between Curiosity and each orbiter may reach 2 Mbit/s and 256 kbit/s, respectively, but each orbiter is only able to communicate with Curiosity for about 8 minutes per day.

At landing, telemetry was monitored by the Mars Odyssey satellite, Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter and ESA's Mars Express. Odyssey is capable of relaying UHF telemetry back to Earth in real time. The relay time varies with the distance between the two planets and took 13:46 minutes at the time of landing.

The rover is operated by sending a set of command sequences which it executes and then waits for the next set. Due to time lag of 14 minutes it is not possible to drive the vehicle in real time so it is mostly a stop & go movement as per set of commands sent.

That was very useful info. Specially that there is only 8 min period of communication b/w Curiosity and earth. Before, I thought that there is an indirect communication via satellite but as you've mentioned that it's direct communication which makes sense. And I guess that is the reason of delays in more info as scientists could explore limited things because of the 8 min period of communication with 14 min delay after each command.

Thanks a lot for this useful info.

jee_nee_us

Re: (If you have had enough of Agha Waqar science) Mars rover Curiosity set to land later today!

If u compare these two matters: 1- To spend billions in order to go to oxygenLESS and manLESS Mars with; 2- To give world the greatest invention of mankind history to run machines on water-kit instead of Petrol that will delete pollution on earth; Invention of Agha Waqar is millions time more valuable than to waste trillions on useless Mar's trips. Billions of people here on earth are poor and are in need of inventions like that Agha has given them. These some theoretical Jahil Ph.D's in Pakistan who are yelling on Agha in TV shows like mad rascals are ignorant and jealous. U will see that when this Kit will start to work in whole Pakistan and then in world, these Jealous idiots will hide their faces from Public.

These Jahil Ph.D's are stuck with old method of electrolysis which indeed cannot run water car. But these Jealous PH.D have no brain to grasp the truth that Agha has invented totally new method of Electrolysis that runs with Series RLC circuit in RESONANCE in capacitance mode at very high voltage; therefore It uses even less battery than car Radio and can run Car on water only even if u drive it from Karachi to Gilgit.

A Bold truth is, that a few theoretical Scientists and Ph.Ds are Jahil Ignorant who attach this invention with the "Law of Conservation of Energy" These Ph.D's are like that donkey of Noble Quran that is loaded with Books[Quran 62:5**. Aghas Water-Kit is the greatest invention of mankind history & that invention has no any relation with the law of conservation of energy & Law of thermodynamics. Soon a time will come when these a few Jahil theoretical Ph.Ds who are insulting Agha Waqar in "TV SHOWS", will be hiding their faces from public. Please note that the biggest "Practical Ph.D scientist" of Pakistan A.Q Khan has supported this invention. A Ph.D has good knowledge but he cannot claim that he knows all and his knowledge is complete. COMPLETE KNOWLEDGE IS ONLY with Allah Jalla Aala Aleem-ul-Khabir.

If Albert Einstein, Isaac Newton, & King of Inventors Thomas Edison were alive today, they would had travelled to the house of Agha Waqar in Khairpur Sindh Pakistan to salute Agha Waqar. If "Alfred Nobel" of Sweden could come out of his grave today, he could has suggested "Noble Prize Committee" that please change name of "Nobel Prize" to "Agha Waqar Prize". Reader should note that king of inventors EDISON who also invented electrical lamp was so poor that he used to sell Newspapers and used to cultivate vegetables in his house, so to sell them in order to pay expenses of his education.
No offense to you brother. Have you ever bothered yourself with a little bit of research using google that how many around the world have tried the same ''water-kit-car'' thingy? Some of them were even jailed for swallowing peoples investment in there fraudulent invention.
Whatever method you use to break the water bonding , you will need to provide the same amount of energy ,237 KJ/Mol. So the method used to break the bonding becomes irrelevant when we use pure water.
Do not be fooled by the scams or naivety of anyone who claims this.

zsheikh

MPA (400+ posts)
But its just an animation video how can I believe that really some robot landed on the mars ???? :13:

sngilani

But its just an animation video how can I believe that really some robot landed on the mars ???? :13:

NASA has released a low-resolution video of the Curiosity rover's plunge through the Red Planet's atmosphere. Curiosity also sent back the first grainy, black-and-white images showing Martian gravel, with nearby landmark Mount Sharp visible in the background.

naveed

675204main_pia16027-43_946-710.jpg

Unicorn

Banned
Can somebody explain me

It takes little over two hours to reach a command to it and same time for response back. I am not sure exactly what medium is used but its limited to either UHF or Microwave frequencies through satellites orbiting earth.

angryoldman

Minister (2k+ posts)
NASA rover Curiosity lands on Mars(don't merge it plz)

NASA rover Curiosity lands on Mars

The Mars science rover Curiosity landed on the Martian surface shortly after 10:30 p.m. Pacific time on Sunday (1:30 a.m. EDT Monday/0530 GMT) to begin a two-year mission seeking evidence the Red Planet once hosted ingredients for life, NASA said. Mission controllers at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory near Los Angeles said they received signals relayed by a Martian orbiter confirming that the rover had survived a make-or-break descent and landing attempt to touch down as planned inside a vast impact crater. NASA has described the feat as perhaps the most complex ever in robotic spaceflight.The $2.5 billion Curiosity project, formally called the Mars Science Laboratory, is NASA's first astrobiology mission since the 1970s-era Viking probes. The landing, a major victory for a U.S. space agency beleaguered by budget cuts and the recent loss of its space shuttle program, was greeted with raucous applause and tears of joy by jubilant engineers and scientists at mission control.(Reuters)

nasa3_101931.jpg

Nicknamed Curiosity and scheduled for launch, the rover has a 7-foot arm tipped with a jackhammer and a laser to break through the Martian red rock. What really makes it stand out: It can analyze rocks and soil with unprecedented accuracy.

nasa-mars-landing-060812-630-02-jpg_055015.jpg

In this image from NASA TV, shot off a video screen, one of the first images from the Curiosity rover is pictured of its wheel after it successfully landed on Mars. REUTERS/Courtesy NASA TV/Handout

nasa-mars-landing-060812-630-05-jpg_063126.jpg

This first image from the Mars rover Curiosity on the surface of Mars shows the rover's shadow as seen by a navigation camera. NASA released the image just minutes after the rover's successful Aug. 5 PDT, 2012 landing. CREDIT: NASA

nasa-mars-landing-060812-630-04-jpg_055016.jpg

The Mars science rover Curiosity landed on the Martian surface shortly after 10:30 p.m. Pacific time on Sunday (1:30 a.m. EDT Monday/0530 GMT) to begin a two-year mission seeking evidence the Red Planet once hosted ingredients for life, NASA said.

nasa-mars-landing-060812-630-03-jpg_055016.jpg

Mission controllers at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory near Los Angeles said they received signals relayed by a Martian orbiter confirming that the rover had survived a make-or-break descent and landing attempt to touch down as planned inside a vast impact crater. NASA has described the feat as perhaps the most complex ever in robotic spaceflight.

2012-08-06T060052Z_1096657579_GM2E88612V401_RTRMADP_3_USA-MARS-LANDING.JPG

Image shot off a video screen from NASA TV shows members of the Mars Science Laboratory (MSL) team celebrating inside the Spaceflight Operations Facility for NASA's Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity rover at Jet Propulsion Laboratory after receiving the first few images from the Curiosity rover, in Pasadena, California August 5, 2012. Mission controllers at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory said they received signals relayed by a Martian orbiter confirming that the rover had survived a make-or-break descent and landing attempt to touch down as planned inside a vast impact crater. REUTERS/Courtesy NASA TV/Handout (UNITED STATES - Tags: SCIENCE TECHNOLOGY) FOR EDITORIAL USE ONLY. NOT FOR SALE FOR MARKETING OR ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS. THIS IMAGE HAS BEEN SUPPLIED BY A THIRD PARTY. IT IS DISTRIBUTED, EXACTLY AS RECEIVED BY REUTERS, AS A SERVICE TO CLIENTS

2012-08-06T055927Z_1574922632_GM2E88612ND01_RTRMADP_3_USA-MARS-LANDING.JPG

Image shot off a video screen from NASA TV shows members of the Mars Science Laboratory (MSL) team celebrating inside the Spaceflight Operations Facility for NASA's Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity rover at Jet Propulsion Laboratory after receiving the first few images from the Curiosity rover, in Pasadena, California August 5, 2012. Mission controllers at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory said they received signals relayed by a Martian orbiter confirming that the rover had survived a make-or-break descent and landing attempt to touch down as planned inside a vast impact crater. One of the first images sent from the rover is shown on screen in the background. REUTERS/Courtesy NASA TV/Handout (UNITED STATES - Tags: SCIENCE TECHNOLOGY) FOR EDITORIAL USE ONLY. NOT FOR SALE FOR MARKETING OR ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS. THIS IMAGE HAS BEEN SUPPLIED BY A THIRD PARTY. IT IS DISTRIBUTED, EXACTLY AS RECEIVED BY REUTERS, AS A SERVICE TO CLIENTS

2012-08-02T174050Z_202544992_GM1E88304IP01_RTRMADP_3_SPACE-MARS.JPG

This artist's concept features NASA's Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity rover, a mobile robot for investigating Mars' past or present ability to sustain microbial life. Curiosity will land near the Martian equator about 10:31 p.m., on August 5, 2012 in the late evening

01-nasa-mars-mission-630-jpg_074944.jpg

This artist's concept depicts the rover Curiosity, of NASA's Mars Science Laboratory mission, as it uses its Chemistry and Camera (ChemCam) instrument to investigate the composition of a rock surface. REUTERS/ NASA/JPL-Caltech/Handout

nasa5_101932.jpg

Ten feet long, 9 feet wide and 7 feet tall at its mast, Curiosity is about twice the size of previous rovers Spirit and Opportunity, weighs 1 ton and is loaded with 10 science instruments. Its formal name: Mars Science Laboratory, or MSL.

2012-07-25T220213Z_1015833792_GM1E87Q0GP901_RTRMADP_3_SPACE-MARS.JPG

An engineering model of NASA's Curiosity Mars rover is seen from the rear in a sandy, Mars-like environment named the Mars Yard at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California July 25, 2012. The real Curiosity rover, part of the Mars Science Laboratory mission, is on its way to the Red Planet, with a planned arrival and landing on the evening of August 5 PDT, early morning August 6 EDT. REUTERS/Danny Moloshok (UNITED STATES - Tags: SCIENCE TECHNOLOGY SOCIETY)

2012-08-02T221314Z_221008154_GM1E8830H3M01_RTRMADP_3_SPACE-MARS.JPG

A full scale model of the Mars Science Laboratory's (MSL) Curiosity rover is pictured at NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena, Calfiornia August 2, 2012. The rover is set to land on Mars in the late evening of August 5, 2012. REUTERS/Fred Prouser (UNITED STATES - Tags: SCIENCE TECHNOLOGY)

nasa6_101919.jpg

The rover is scheduled to arrive at the mineral-rich Gale Crater next August, 8 months after embarking on the 354-million-mile voyage aboard an Atlas V rocket.

nasa9_101951.jpg

The rover also has a weather station for updates on Martian temperature, humidity and wind, as well as a radiation detector that will be especially useful for planning human expeditions.

nasa10_101957.jpg

Despite all its fancy upgrades, Curiosity will go no faster than the one-tenth-mile-per-hour logged by past Martian rovers. But it is expected to venture more than 12 miles during its two-year mission. If it's still working after that, it will keep on trucking, possibly all the way up the crater's 3-mile peak.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raaz

(50k+ posts) بابائے فورم
Re: NASA rover Curiosity lands on Mars(don't merge it plz)

This cart is made by Molana Ludihanvi, Mulla Omar , and other DPC members.....not by NASA...

They want to protest on Mars ...but still they dont know what they want to say....

Any way cart is ready....:lol:

naveed

This movie shows the first 360-degree panorama in color of the Gale crater landing site taken by NASA's Curiosity rover. It was made from thumbnail versions of images taken by the 34-millimeter Mast Camera on Aug. 8, 2012.

Safarmai

MPA (400+ posts)

Sometime its fun time and humor.
but please keep this thread for space science only

Admin please delete Raaz message and all future message from dumb people. Or Raaz can also delete himself his own message.

Only science talk in this thread.

@Raaz

Last edited by a moderator:

Raaz

(50k+ posts) بابائے فورم

Sometime its fun time and humor.
but please keep this thread for space science only

Admin please delete Raaz message and all future message from dumb people. Or Raaz can also delete himself his own message.

Only science talk in this thread.

@Raaz

We r dumb people , not a great scientist like u...

If u will find something special , please let us know in easy words ... this is request.

FaisalKh

[MENTION=9490]naveed[/MENTION] [MENTION=8740]awan4ever[/MENTION] [MENTION=14571]Safarmai[/MENTION] [MENTION=13871]Unicorn[/MENTION]

I dont have much info about fuel consumption nd generation but could someone plz explain how did it manage to travel for more than 8 months nd would now spend 2 years there without any external fuel supply? One of the genius here on this forum discovered a photograph of self charging laptop cable nd is posting it everywhere on forum so r we safe to assume that this curiosity shutle or watever recharges itself? May b it uses solar energy but it cant depend on it completely sO if someone knows the answer plz share it thanks v r still praising the hoax of moon landing lets c wat happens to this one nd could the blind believers on american technology plz explain why they chose mars this time nd not moon?

Last edited: