Difference between Mumin and Muslim as per QURAN

saynotwar

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
We see today 1 billion muslims around the world.Islam is the world fastest growing religion and this time lets understand what ALLAH wants us to be A Muslim or Mumin!
Lets try to understand the difference:

Muslim:Who accepts Islam as religion

Mumin:Who has faith on Islam

In Islam the key term of religious identity is not Islam but iman (faith)

SURAH -AL-HUJRAT(49) 14-19

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

he wandering Arabs say: We believe. Say (unto them, O Muhammad): Ye believe not, but rather say "We submit," for the faith hath not yet entered into your hearts. Yet, if ye obey Allah and His messenger, He will not withhold from you aught of (the reward of) your deeds. Lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful. (14) The (true) believers are those only who believe in Allah and His messenger and afterward doubt not, but strive with their wealth and their lives for the cause of Allah. Such are the sincere. (15) Say (unto them, O Muhammad): Would ye teach Allah your religion, when Allah knoweth all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth, and Allah is Aware of all things? (16) They make it a favour unto thee (Muhammad) that they have surrendered (unto Him). Say: Deem not your Surrender a favour unto me; but Allah doth confer a favour on you, inasmuch as He hath led you to the Faith, if ye are earnest. (17) Lo! Allah knoweth the Unseen of the heavens and the earth. And Allah is Seer of what ye do. (18)

dukelondon

Senator (1k+ posts)
Very important issue. People who have never read the translation of the Quran in Urdu or in their mother tongue don't know this very important difference. Thanks for creating the awareness.

Pakistani1947

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Thank you brother saynotwar for posting verses from Qur'aan.

It would be appropriate to mention Tafseer Ibn-e-Kaseer with regards to the quoted verses of Qur'aan above:

Knowledge Seeker

Senator (1k+ posts)
JazakAllah brothers for valuable information.

Great Intellectual Dr. Ashfaq Ahmed (May Allah grants him blessings) stated the one villager's understanding about this topic:

" MUSLIM woh hai jo Allah ko manta hai aur MOMIN woh hai jo Allah ki manta hai".

Pakistani1947

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Below is the famous hadith of Jibril in which Eeman, Islaam, Ihsaan etc. are defined:

On the authority of 'Umar, radiyallahu 'anhu, who said:

One day we were sitting in the company of Allah's Apostle (peace be upon him) when there appeared before us a man dressed in pure white clothes, his hair extraordinarily black. There were no signs of travel on him. None amongst us recognized him. At last he sat with the Apostle (peace be upon him) He knelt before him placed his palms on his thighs and said: Muhammad, inform me about al-Islam. The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said: Al-Islam implies that you testify that there is no god but Allah and that Muhammad is the messenger of Allah, and you establish prayer, pay Zakat, observe the fast of Ramadan, and perform pilgrimage to the (House) if you are solvent enough (to bear the expense of) the journey. He (the inquirer) said: You have told the truth. He (Umar ibn al-Khattab) said: It amazed us that he would put the question and then he would himself verify the truth. He (the inquirer) said: Inform me about Iman (faith). He (the Holy Prophet) replied: That you affirm your faith in Allah, in His angels, in His Books, in His Apostles, in the Day of Judgment, and you affirm your faith in the Divine Decree about good and evil. He (the inquirer) said: You have told the truth. He (the inquirer) again said: Inform me about al-Ihsan (performance of good deeds). He (the Holy Prophet) said: That you worship Allah as if you are seeing Him, for though you don't see Him, He, verily, sees you. He (the enquirer) again said: Inform me about the hour (of the Doom). He (the Holy Prophet) remarked: One who is asked knows no more than the one who is inquiring (about it). He (the inquirer) said: Tell me some of its indications. He (the Holy Prophet) said: That the slave-girl will give birth to her mistress and master, that you will find barefooted, destitute goat-herds vying with one another in the construction of magnificent buildings. He (the narrator, Umar ibn al-Khattab) said: Then he (the inquirer) went on his way but I stayed with him (the Holy Prophet) for a long while. He then, said to me: Umar, do you know who this inquirer was? I replied: Allah and His Apostle knows best. He (the Holy Prophet) remarked: He was Gabriel (the angel). He came to you in order to instruct you in matters of religion. (Sahih muslim Book #001, Hadith #0001)

babadeena

Minister (2k+ posts)
Unfortunately, this requires lot of time and concentration, only I can give you two examples:

a) Yaqoob (as) asked his sons that "You should die when you are "Muslims"
b) Momneen have been commanded that "you should die only as a "Muslim"
c) Momeen have been commanded to enter into "Seelim" which is from word "Islam" completely;
Being a momen is to profess being a muslim is to obey and act. So I leave the subject right here due to paucity of time.