Exclusive extracts from Fatima Bhutto's new book

Adeel

Founder
Asif Zardari was on the phone. Dont you know? he said casually to me. Your fathers been shot. I dropped the phone. My body went numb and cold and my heart beat so hard it drowned out everything around me. Mummy picked up the phone. She saw my face, I looked ashen. She must have known something was terribly wrong though I couldnt get the words out to say anything or even look at her. She screamed. I dont remember what she said. I was frozen to my chair, Papas green armchair.

It must be the arm, I kept telling myself. He must be hit in the arm; it cant be serious, maybe the leg. Why would Zardari tell me, a fourteen-year-old girl, that my father had been shot if it had been serious? I couldnt breathe. Mummy must have called for the car. The next thing I knew she was running towards the door. I got up and ran after her. Stay here! she yelled. No! I screamed back. Im coming with you! Zulfi (little brother) was
sitting in the lobby now, with Sofi, his nanny from when he was a baby. Sofi watched Mummy and me yelling at each other in the corridor by the door. She held Zulfi close to her and tried to distract him from our screaming.

Fati, its dangerous! Mummy shouted. But I wouldnt let her leave without me. Hes my father! I cried and grabbed her arm, pulling her with me to the car. She couldnt stop me. Mummy held on to me as we drove out of the house. The roads were clean, empty. I remember looking out, searching the dark streets for some sign and seeing nothing, calming myself into believing that whatever had happened wasnt serious. It must be the arm, I kept repeating to myself and to Mummy like a mantra I was desperate for us to believe....

I dont remember how we got to Mideast Hospital or how we found ourselves in the large recovery room that Papa had been placed in. I remember walking in and seeing only my fathers legs. I thought I would collapse.

Mummy ran into the room and straight towards Papa, who was lying unconscious on a low hospital bed. I saw him and froze. I stood before my father, covered in blood, and wanted to scream but I couldnt open my mouth. I was paralysed with shock. I just stood there.

Mummy ran straight to Papas side and began speaking to him, as if she hadnt registered how frightening he looked, how much blood covered his face and his chest. Wake up Mir! Wake up! she yelled. I went closer to him and crouched beside the bed. I touched Papas face but got blood on my fingers and got scared. His face was still
warm, the blood dark and wet. I stood up quickly and walked to the end of the room and sat down on a white metal chair. I couldnt breathe.

Mummy sat with Papa as he was fitted with a heart monitor and as the hospital staff scrambled to find surgeons to operate on him there were none on call, there never were at Mideast. People filtered into the room, coming in to watch, to have a look, to see Murtaza Bhutto die. I screamed at one of them, an odious magazine editor-turned-politician who behaved as if she had bought tickets to an event. Why are you here? I screamed at her. This isnt a show! Get out! She moved away from me, but she didnt leave. Others, friends and strangers, came. I couldnt focus long enough to understand how dire things were, how we ended up in a hospital with not one surgeon to save my fathers life....

Idont know how we made it from the waiting room to the operating theatre. I think I was being supported and held. I think Mummy was holding me. Papa lay in the middle of the room, a thin white sheet pulled up to his collarbone. His face had been bandaged with white gauze, holding his jaw shut. His eyes were closed. There was dried blood congealing on his face and flecks of blood in his hair. Papas hair was always perfectly combed, the only time it ever looked that messy was when he woke up in the mornings. I kneeled on the floor next to his body. He wasnt dead, he couldnt be. There had to be some mistake. I kissed my fathers face, his cheeks, his lips, his nose, his chin, over and over again. I didnt kiss his eyes; a Lebanese superstition says you will be separated from anyone whose eyelids your lips brush. I didnt want to be separated from Papa....

Somewhere around three in the morning, while Mummy was still at the hospital waiting for the autopsy to be completed and for Papas body to be released so she could bring him home, the Prime Minister came to Mideast. Benazir flew from the Prime Ministers residence in Islamabad to Karachi. She stopped at her home and then came to the hospital barefeet a sign, people assumed, of her grief. She was accompanied by Wajid Durrani, one of the shooters that night who is seen saluting her in many of photographs taken of her arrival, and by Shoaib Suddle, another of the men who participated in her brothers assassination. Abdullah Shah, the Chief Minister of Sindh, and another accused in the murder, would also be by Benazirs side at Mideast. Benazir, my Wadi, would say, years later in an interview broadcast days before her own death, that it was Murtazas own fault that he was killed. She changed the facts about his injuries, rambling incoherently, claiming he was shot in the back by his own guards, that his guards opened fire on the police, that Murtaza had a death wish. I did not see Benazir until after Papas burial. Every time she tried to drive to Al Murtaza house where Papas funeral was held her car was attacked by Larkana locals, who pelted her car with stones and shoes.

The funeral in Larkana was intense and cities across the country marked a three-day mourning period in solidarity.....

Joonam (Nusrat Bhutto, Fatimas grandmother) arrived from a foreign trip that day to find her second son murdered. No one had told Joonam, who was beginning to suffer from Alzheimers, that her beloved elder son had been killed. They told her only minutes before her car had pulled up at the 70 Clifton gates. In the helicopter ride to Larkana, Joonam beat her chest in the Shiia style of mourning and wailed uncontrollably. She never recovered. The day after the burial she walked up and down the corridors of Al Murtaza calling her son. Tell Mir he should change his kaffan, his burial shroud, its full of blood.

On the third day of mourning, Benazir came to Al Murtaza under cover of darkness to evade the protestors who had been attacking her motorcade. She said she wanted her mother to be with her for a few days and swept Joonam out of our house. We never saw our grandmother again. Joonam is now held incommunicado by the Zardaris in a garish house in Dubai.

gazoomartian

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
Bushman said:
I THINK ZARDARI MURDERD HIS BROTHER INLAW.

Former president Ishaq Dar said the same thing on a TV show. Obviously he knows more than you and I.

And now meet Zardari, we the stupid Pakis elected him to lead the country. We are sufefring from our own doing :cry:

M

mimran301

After reading this account, I would say that 'Fatima Bhutto' should join Pakistani young novelist forum. As this essay is full with novelity and fiction.
There is small list of english novelist from Pakistan, so her chances for success would be fairly high.

dil-se-desi

MPA (400+ posts)
'Should I die to prove Pakistan is dangerous?'Fatima Bhutto

'Should I die to prove Pakistan is dangerous?'Fatima Bhutto

She is 27, serious-minded and is still haunted by the violent death of her adored father. After her aunt, Benazir, was killed, Fatima Bhutto described the Greek tragedy that the Bhutto dynasty had become: "It seems like every 10 years we bury a Bhutto killed violently and way before their time."

In her new book on her famous, famously tragic family, Fatima is critical of Benazir's widower, President Asif Ali Zardari
. She talks about the current "dangers of living in Pakistan" to Rashmee Roshan Lall

The first reference you make to Asif Ali Zardari, president of Pakistan, is my aunts oleaginous husband. The relationship may be bitter, but surely he couldnt be that bad if your book is allowed to be published and you live reasonably comfortably in Pakistan?

I think the book clearly discusses the violence and intimidation used by Zardari. Im not living reasonably comfortably in Pakistan, I live on the street where my father and six other men were gunned down. I cross that street every time I leave my house. The book isnt published in Pakistan, its published in India. There is no Urdu translation of the book. Do I have to die to convince you of the dangers of living in Pakistan?

Could you ever see a Barack Obama taking office in Pakistan?

What do you mean? Someone of mixed race? Someone born in Indonesia? Someone who graduated from Harvard?

What would a Pakistani Obama, a changemaker sans a political dynasty, need to do to take the country forward? The most pressing item for reform?

There are many pressing issues. The removal of the NRO, the National Reconciliation Ordinance, which legitimizes the corruption of the countrys politicians and celebrates the graft of the nations most powerful by placing them above the law has to be removed if we are to have a just country. Ditto the Hudood Ordinances, which are the most violent pieces of legislation against women and minorities.

Dont you think its time Pakistan conducted real land reform and ended a feudal economy?

The last proper land reforms held were under my grandfather, Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, so yes I do.

Would you support land reform even if it meant the loss of your financial security?

Im a writer. Thats my financial security. Land reforms would mean agricultural development which would mean more produce per acre, they are absolutely needed.

Is it not the feudal economy that supports Pakistans feudal politics?

There are feudal politics here, there are oligarchical politics, military
politics, and the politics that run at the behest of the United States of America. Thats the kind that runs Pakistan today.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home ... 733364.cms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jury

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
http://express.com.pk./images/NP_KHI/20070920/Sub_Images/1100265307-2.gif
fatimabhutto.gif

babadeena

Minister (2k+ posts)
"Have you not traveled in the land and see the consequences of those who were before you, they were much mightier than you" These sort of examples set by the destiny for people to remember that Almighty One is the Omnipotent. Look the tragedy, Self-claimed "The Pride of Asia" hanged through the hands of Tara Masih. One son killed in Paris in mysterious circumstances, the other killed when nothing less His Sister was sitting Prime Minister. Further eye-opener "being President of the Nation", what a helplessness, that could not do anything for the "deceased wife".

Oh People "have you not raveled in the land and the see the consequences of those who were before you..................". Refuge of Allah!!!

NOT ONLY MURTAZA BHUTTO, BUT 15,000 MORE WERE KILLED ON THE STREETS OF KARACHI AND UNDER WHOSE RULE, UNDER BB SHAHEED AND BALDI GROUP.

BB SHAHEED HAS FACED HER DESTINY, HER BODY WAS ALSO LYING FULL OF BLOOD. NOW THE TIME OF THE BALDI GROUP IS COMING.

ONE OF THESE DAYS THEY WILL ALSO FACE THEIR DESTINY AS UNDER THEIR RULE MANY INNOCENT PEOPLE FROM KARACHI AND HYDERBAD WERE MERCILESSLY MURDERED.

TODAY, WHAT OUR GHABROO JAWANS OF PUNJAB AND PUKHTOON KHA ARE FACING IS NOTHING BUT A MAKAFAT E AMAL OF THEIR ATROCITIES IN THE STREETS OF FORMER EAST PAKISTAN, KARACHI AND HYDERBAD.

SOME MAY DENY THIS BUT THOSE WHO SEE LIFE WITH A DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE WILL AGREE THAT DADAGIRI, BADMASHI, ZULM AND BEGUNAHOON KA QATAL IN THE NAME OF ISLAM AND COUNTRY IS THE WORST CRIME AND THOSE WHO COMMITTING THAT WILL FACE THE MUSIC ONE DAY IN THE SAME WAY AS BB SHAHEED DID AND INSHALLAH BALDEE GANG WILL FACE SOON.

WE NEED LEADERS WITH POWER BUT WITH PATIENCE, JUSTICE AND HUMILITY.