Give Akhtar another chance: Imran

jimpack

Minister (2k+ posts)
Shoaib Akhtar does not have too many supporters left in Pakistan cricket but former captain and legendary all-rounder Imran Khan believes the temperamental speedster deserves one final return to the national team.

"I know he has had several disciplinary problems in recent times and he has also struggled for full fitness. But I still believe there is a place for him in the national team even now," Imran said.

Incidentally, another bowling great and former skipper Wasim Akram recently said that Akhtar's career was virtually over barring a miracle.

Akhtar had been ignored for the ODI series in Sri Lanka and also for the Champions trophy and the enigmatic pacer has also been served a showcause notice by the Pakistan Cricket Board for giving a spicy interview on television.

Imran said that if Akhtar worked sincerely and hard on improving his fitness and focused totally on cricket, he deserved a place in the team.

"A fit Shoaib can be important to the team because the bowling still needs to be boosted a bit I think, specially after watching the performances in recent matches," Imran said.

He advised Akhtar to earn his place back in the team by regaining full fitness.

"Even Shoaib has to realise that he is a senior player and he must not be a burden on the team when selected," he added.

Akhtar has responded to the board's showcause notice but it is not clear whether he has challenged the charges or accepted his mistake and apologised.

A senior board official said that the lawyers of the board will look into Akhtar's reply.

Meanwhile, chief selector Iqbal Qasim said Akhtar will definitely be considered for a comeback if he proves his fitness.

"There is lot of cricket coming up we are playing New Zealand and Australia and if Shoaib can prove his match fitness we will definitely consider him. I don't think not being picked for the Champions Trophy is the end of the world for him," Qasim said.