Golden Days Of Pakistan Hockey

Bret Hawk

Senator (1k+ posts)
The game which put the name of Pakistan on world map and those were the times between 1960-1984 when virtually Pakistan was like to Field Hockey as Brazil for football, Australia to cricket and Canada to ice hockey. The mercurial rise of Pakistan Hockey team began at the Rome Olympics of 1960 by beating the then uncrowned kings the Indians in the final of that tournament and continued to dominate that sport discipline till the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics. That period has witnessed the numerous world Olympic and champions trophy titles for Pakistan and the 1978 World Cup was the testament of Pakistans artistry and skills to such extent that the Argentinean Football authorities later attributed their world cup football win in the same year to Pakistani Hockey team and their officials are on record to acknowledge that Argentinean team followed the various recorded taped hockey matches of Pakistani team and used to employ the same tactics in that World Cup (Aggressive style of attacking from the right flank) to claimed that world crown in football. To me that was the ultimate tribute to the legendary Pakistani hockey team of that era.

But now the past kings have turned into the bunch of jokers and Pakistani hockey team has plummeted to the lows of that scale which is reminiscent to the West Indians (cricket) in current era. Pakistani hockey team suffered the same fate as their contemporary (West Indians) over the last few years when their mighty and awesome players retired or completed their shelf life then there was not a good running system to unearth and groom the new talent and now the long lasting trough has been meted out on their faces for close to three decades now. Pakistani team have lagged behind the new developments of this sport such as speed, stamina and close marked movements of the European teams over the years and now struggling very badly to even catch up their close rivals of the past. A far sighted and modern scientific coaching and management process is required now along with the developed infrastructure and employment stability for the hockey players of Pakistans domestic structure in order to have any realistic chances of gaining their past glories against the Europeans, which is a long and tedious process for someone to take on this job on serious note. With the current state of affairs of Pakistan in general and its governing body PHF (Pakistan Hockey Federation) in particular I cant see this to happen in another 100 years or so and only the complete revamp in the management can provide some hope in this regard.

PakPatriot1

Senator (1k+ posts)
I remember those golden days of Pak Hockey. Especially 1978 world cup. where the world media of that time rightly recognized each player of Pakistani team, a # 1 in his position in the world.

I can not forget IslahUddin, Haneef Khan, Shehnaz Sheikh, Manzoor Junior, Akhtar Rasool, SamiUllah, Salim Sherwani, MunawwaruZaman and Manzoor Senior. They were all #1 in their position in those days in all over the world.

Why we don't have that talent not coming on to the top now? Something physhy is going on in everywhere in Pakistan.

Nepotism??????

hnuter555

MPA (400+ posts)
my best memory was mansoor save in 1998 world cup final and shebaz
sr weak push for plenty stroke went through the legs of goal keeper
and we were estatic bec our school was hockey champion at that time
and we use to practice and play hockey a lot

percheee system destroyed hockey cricket squash and boxing in pakistan

PakPatriot1

Senator (1k+ posts)
hnuter555 said:
my best memory was mansoor save in 1998 world cup final and shebaz