How i Discovered Islam.. Imran Khan(Worth Reading)

lahori

Senator (1k+ posts)
My generation grew up at a time when colonial hang up was at its peak. Our older generation had been slaves and had a huge inferiority complex of the British. The school I went to was similar to all elite schools in Pakistan. Despite gaining independent, they were, and still are, producing replicas of public schoolboys rather than Pakistanis.

I read Shakespeare, which was fine, but no Allama Iqbal the national poet of Pakistan. The class on Islamic studies was not taken seriously, and when I left school I was considered among the elite of the country because I could speak English and wore Western clothes.

Despite periodically shouting Pakistan Zindabad in school functions, I considered my own culture backward and religion outdated. Among our group if any one talked about religion, prayed or kept a beard he was immediately branded a Mullah.

Because of the power of the Western media, our heroes were Western movie stars or pop stars. When I went to Oxford already burdened with this hang up, things didnt get any easier. At Oxford, not just Islam, but all religions were considered anachronism.

Science had replaced religion and if something couldnt be logically proved it did not exist. All supernatural stuff was confined to the movies. Philosophers like Darwin, who with his half-baked theory of evolution had supposedly disproved the creation of men and hence religion, were read and revered.

Moreover, European history reflected its awful experience with religion. The horrors committed by the Christian clergy during the Inquisition era had left a powerful impact on the Western mind.

To understand why the West is so keen on secularism, one should go to places like Cordoba in Spain and see the torture apparatus used during the Spanish Inquisition. Also the persecution of scientists as heretics by the clergy had convinced the Europeans that all religions are regressive.
However, the biggest factor that drove people like me away from religion was the selective Islam practiced by most of its preachers. In short, there was a huge difference between what they practiced and what they preached. Also, rather than explaining the philosophy behind the religion, there was an overemphasis on rituals.

I feel that humans are different to animals. While, the latter can be drilled, humans need to be intellectually convinced. That is why the Quran constantly appeals to reason. The worst, of course, was the exploitation of Islam for political gains by various individuals or groups.

Hence, it was a miracle I did not become an atheist. The only reason why I did not was the powerful religious influence my mother wielded on me since my childhood. It was not so much out of conviction but love for her that I stayed a Muslim.

However, my Islam was selective. I accepted only parts of the religion that suited me. Prayers were restricted to Eid days and occasionally on Fridays, when my father insisted on taking me to the mosque with him.
All in all I was smoothly moving to becoming a Pukka Brown Sahib. After all I had the right credentials in terms of school, university and, above all, acceptability in the English aristocracy, something that our brown sahibs would give their lives for. So what led me to do a lota on the Brown Sahib culture and instead become a desi?

Well it did not just happen overnight.

Firstly, the inferiority complex that my generation had inherited gradually went as I developed into a world-class athlete. Secondly, I was in the unique position of living between two cultures. I began to see the advantages and the disadvantages of both societies.

In Western societies, institutions were strong while they were collapsing in our country. However, there was an area where we were and still are superior, and that is our family life. I began to realize that this was the Western societys biggest loss. In trying to free itself from the oppression of the clergy, they had removed both God and religion from their lives.
While science, no matter how much it progresses, can answer a lot of questions two questions it will never be able to answer: One, what is the purpose of our existence and two, what happens to us when we die?
It is this vacuum that I felt created the materialistic and the hedonistic culture. If this is the only life then one must make hay while the sun shines and in order to do so one needs money. Such a culture is bound to cause psychological problems in a human being, as there was going to be an imbalance between the body and the soul.

Consequently, in the US, which has shown the greatest materialistic progress while giving its citizens numerous rights, almost 60 percent of the population consult psychiatrists. Yet, amazingly in modern psychology, there is no study of the human soul. Sweden and Switzerland, who provide the most welfare to their citizens, also have the highest suicide rates. Hence, man is not necessarily content with material well being and needs something more.

Since all morality has it roots in religion, once religion was removed, immorality has progressively grown since the 70s. Its direct impact has been on family life. In the UK, the divorce rate is 60 percent, while it is estimated that there are over 35 percent single mothers. The crime rate is rising in almost all Western societies, but the most disturbing fact is the alarming increase in racism. While science always tries to prove the inequality of man (recent survey showing the American Black to be genetically less intelligent than whites) it is only religion that preaches the equality of man.

Between 1991 and 1997, it was estimated that total immigration into Europe was around 520,000, and there were racially motivated attacks all over, especially in Britain, France and Germany. In Pakistan during the Afghan war, we had over four million refugees, and despite the people being so much poorer, there was no racial tension.

There was a sequence of events in the 80s that moved me toward God as the Quran says: "There are signs for people of understanding." One of them was cricket. As I was a student of the game, the more I understood the game, the more I began to realize that what I considered to be chance was, in fact, the will of Allah. A pattern which became clearer with time. But it was not until Salman Rushdies "Satanic Verses" that my understanding of Islam began to develop.

People like me who were living in the Western world bore the brunt of anti-Islam prejudice that followed the Muslim reaction to the book. We were left with two choices: fight or flight. Since I felt strongly that the attacks on Islam were unfair, I decided to fight. It was then I realized that I was not equipped to do so as my knowledge of Islam was inadequate. Hence I started my research and for me a period of my greatest
enlightenment. I read scholars like Ali Shariati, Muhammad Asad, Iqbal, Gai Eaton, plus of course, a study of Quran.

I will try to explain as concisely as is possible, what "discovering the truth" meant for me. When the believers are addressed in the Quran, it always says, "Those who believe and do good deeds." In other words, a Muslim has dual function, one toward God and the other toward fellow human beings.

The greatest impact of believing in God for me, meant that I lost all fear of human beings. The Quran liberates man from man when it says that life and death and respect and humiliation are Gods jurisdiction, so we do not have to bow before other human beings.

Moreover, since this is a transitory world where we prepare for the eternal one, I broke out of the self-imposed prisons, such as growing old (such a curse in the Western world, as a result of which, plastic surgeons are having a field day), materialism, ego, what people say and so on. It is important to note that one does not eliminate earthly desires. But instead of being controlled by them, one controls them.

By following the second part of believing in Islam, I have become a better human being. Rather than being self-centered and living for the self, I feel that because the Almighty gave so much to me, in turn I must use that blessing to help the less privileged. This I did by following the fundamentals of Islam rather than becoming a Kalashnikov-wielding fanatic.
I have become a tolerant and a giving human being who feels compassion for the underprivileged. Instead of attributing success to myself, I know it is because of Gods will, hence I learned humility instead of arrogance.
Also, instead of the snobbish Brown Sahib attitude toward our masses, I believe in egalitarianism and strongly feel against the injustice done to the weak in our society. According to the Quran, "Oppression is worse than killing." In fact only now do I understand the true meaning of Islam, if you submit to the will of Allah, you have inner peace.

Through my faith, I have discovered strength within me that I never knew existed and that has released my potential in life. I feel that in Pakistan we have selective Islam. Just believing in God and going through the rituals is not enough. One also has to be a good human being. I feel there are certain Western countries with far more Islamic traits than us in Pakistan, especially in the way they protect the rights of their citizens, or for that matter their justice system. In fact some of the finest individuals I know live there.

What I dislike about them is their double standards in the way they protect the rights of their citizens but consider citizens of other countries as being somehow inferior to them as human being, e.g. dumping toxic waste in the Third World, advertising cigarettes that are not allowed in the West and selling drugs that are banned in the West.

One of the problems facing Pakistan is the polarization of two reactionary groups. On the one side is the Westernized group that looks upon Islam through Western eyes and has inadequate knowledge about the subject. It reacts strongly to anyone trying to impose Islam in society and wants only a selective part of the religion. On the other extreme is the group that reacts to this Westernized elite and in trying to become a defender of the faith, takes up such intolerant and self-righteous attitudes that are repugnant to the spirit of Islam.

What needs to be done is to somehow start a dialogue between the two extreme. In order for this to happen, the group on whom the greatest proportion of our educational resources are spent in this country must study Islam properly.

Whether they become practicing Muslims or believe in God is entirely a personal choice. As the Quran tells us there is "no compulsion in religion." However, they must arm themselves with knowledge as a weapon to fight extremism. Just by turning up their noses at extremism the problem is not going to be solved.

The Quran calls Muslims "the middle nation", not of extremes. The Holy Prophet (peace be upon him) was told to simply give the message and not worry whether people converted or not, therefore, there is no question in Islam of forcing your opinions on anyone else.

Moreover, we are told to respect other religions, their places of worship and their prophets. It should be noted that no Muslim missionaries or armies ever went to Malaysia or Indonesia. The people converted to Islam due to the high principles and impeccable character of the Muslim traders. At the moment, the worst advertisements for Islam are the countries with their selective Islam, especially where religion is used to deprive people of their rights. In fact, a society that obeys fundamentals of Islam has to be a liberal one.

If Pakistans Westernized class starts to study Islam, not only will it be able to help society fight sectarianism and extremism, but it will also make them realize what a progressive religion Islam is. They will also be able to help the Western world by articulating Islamic concepts. Recently, Prince Charles accepted that the Western world can learn from Islam. But how can this happen if the group that is in the best position to project Islam gets its attitudes from the West and considers Islam backward? Islam is a universal religion and that is why our Prophet (peace be upon him) was called a Mercy for all mankind.

contra

Senator (1k+ posts)
:P Lahori bhai, i request you to kindly give the source of this article, i want to know when this was published (the date). :P
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I went to Oxford already burdened with this hang up, things didnt get any easier. At Oxford, not just Islam, but all religions were considered anachronism.
Science had replaced religion and if something couldnt be logically proved it did not exist. All supernatural stuff was confined to the movies. Philosophers like Darwin, who with his half-baked theory of evolution had supposedly disproved the creation of men and hence religion, were read and revered.

1. Well, if something cannot be logically proven it has to be questioned and not blindly followed...whats wrong here? :geek:

2. a) Darwin was a :shock: "Philosopher" :shock: ???? This is news to me. :roll:
Darwin was a scientist. :geek:
b) He has disproved that the world was formed 5000-10000yrs. ago, and that it was created in 7 days. :lol:

3. Is Mr. Imran Khan saying that it was only the Christian clergy that crossed the line??? :?:
This is a feature of every religion...including Islam. :x :!:

While science, no matter how much it progresses, can answer a lot of questions two questions it will never be able to answer: One, what is the purpose of our existence and two, what happens to us when we die?
4. This is easy --- :geek:
a) Purpose of Life: To produce high quality babies/offspring, so that your genes are carried forward and survive.

b) What happens to us when we die: we become worm food(if buried), ashes(if cremated), fish food(if laid to rest in the sea), but i think the best service one can do is to donate your body to a medical college.

Consequently, in the US, which has shown the greatest materialistic progress while giving its citizens numerous rights, almost 60 percent of the population consult psychiatrists. Yet, amazingly in modern psychology, there is no study of the human soul. Sweden and Switzerland, who provide the most welfare to their citizens, also have the highest suicide rates. Hence, man is not necessarily content with material well being and needs something more.

5.a) I don't think there is anything wrong in going to a psychiatrist :geek: , because it can help tackle mental problems. :|
In countries like, say, India and Pakistan, people normally don't go to psychiatrists and also knowledge of mental illness is lacking. :|
Just because of lack of knowledge and non availability of recorded data, can we say that we don't suffer from mental problems? :x :?:

b) Suicide data: First of all i dont know from what source Mr. Khan has taken this infomation? :?:
On the WHO website suicide data is available, it shows that the highest number of suicides are in the former Soviet countries. I couldn't find any data giving the suicide rate in Islamic countries... :|
Source: http://www.who.int/mental_health/preven ... _rates/en/

Since all morality has it roots in religion, once religion was removed, immorality has progressively grown since the 70s. Its direct impact has been on family life. In the UK, the divorce rate is 60 percent, while it is estimated that there are over 35 percent single mothers. The crime rate is rising in almost all Western societies, but the most disturbing fact is the alarming increase in racism. While science always tries to prove the inequality of man (recent survey showing the American Black to be genetically less intelligent than whites) it is only religion that preaches the equality of man.

6. a) "Morality rooted in religion"--- this is completely false. :x :x :evil:

b) Yes, divorce rates are high, if two people don't want to live together and cannot continue together, then its best to end the relationship :geek: . Why should they suffer? And by the way, isn't it the woman who always has to make adjustments? :evil:
If divorce rates are low in Islamic countries, does it mean everything is hunky dory? :x :evil:
A muslim man can have 4 wives. :evil:
If a muslim woman is divorced, she becomes a social outcast. :evil: :evil: :evil:
In Afghanistan, each year several women die due to self immolation, because their husbands abuse them. :cry:
c) Mr. Imran Khan, you are talking about intolerance? Isn't your country in the CPC list of USCIRF?
Out of a total of 13 countries, 9 are Islamic countries. :evil:
Source: http://www.uscirf.gov/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=59

Between 1991 and 1997, it was estimated that total immigration into Europe was around 520,000, and there were racially motivated attacks all over, especially in Britain, France and Germany. In Pakistan during the Afghan war, we had over four million refugees, and despite the people being so much poorer, there was no racial tension.

7. No tensions??? hmmm....well, we know what you were doing with them...don't we. ;) :twisted:

As I was a student of the game, the more I understood the game, the more I began to realize that what I considered to be chance was, in fact, the will of Allah.

8. So, Pakistan wins a match because of Allah...and Pakistan looses a match because of Allah....???? Don't your capabilities count Mr. Khan??? :roll:

As the Quran tells us there is "no compulsion in religion."

9. :lol: :lol: :lol:

taul

Siasat.pk - Blogger
@ contra

--What you are doing here that is being ""Moron" is out of your own choice and No one is Compelling you to do so :lol: :lol: but you "Choose" to be one :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

--You continue to Amuse and Amaze :o everyone here with your Obnoxious Queries and Absurd and Bizare Interpretations 8-) :) :ugeek:

-- :lol: :lol: :lol: --This was expected :roll: ,,What happens to soul,where does the Soul go?or you believe body runs on its own there is no Soul in living beings :shock: :lol: :lol:

--If there were any Compulsion,,I'd Personally come and ask (Sorry Force) you to Accept Islam :o :geek: :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

--Post after post your brain continue to Regress and i'm afraid it may regress to your Ancestral level as per your beliefs as you are very fond of them that is Evolved from monkey :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

contra

Senator (1k+ posts)
taul bhai,
taul said:
-- :lol: :lol: :lol: --This was expected :roll: ,,What happens to soul,where does the Soul go?or you believe body runs on its own there is no Soul in living beings :shock: :lol: :lol:

I don't believe in the existence of a soul. :geek:
When something does not exist, how does it matter where "it" goes??? :?:

taul

Siasat.pk - Blogger
contra said:
I don't believe in the existence of a soul. :geek:
When something does not exist, how does it matter where "it" goes??? :?:

--Denial of anything doesn't mean it doesn't exist :) it does,the question is if somebody is willing to Accept :ugeek:

Bret Hawk

Senator (1k+ posts)
Though what Imran has mentioned in his article is truly credible and very enlightening for me to know that how come he followed the path of Islam after growing up in that so called elite class who chief trait has always been the pursuit of hedonism and gaining prominence in this transient life. One thing is sure in my mind that the privileged and affluent classes of the world and those who have these illusions in their minds that they are the chosen ones of Almighty dont have to follow Islam due to their imminent positions in this world.

In fact if one closely examines the recorded history and Holy Scriptures like Quran and Bible then it will certainly become clear to him / her that almost all the followers of great Apostles of Almighty were predominantly poor and belonged to the lower strata of their representative societies. So Imrans optimism for the elite of Pakistan to turn its mindset and study the glorious traits of Islam I think is a bit over-expectation and call for that wish which can be fulfilled at least in the light of the history of the world.

Secondly the Holy Quran terms this mentality of none accepting the guidance of Almighty as illness and almost majority of Muslim exegetes are agreed that the infidelity and apathy towards the message of Allah Subhana wa Talah is a mental illness compounded by the illness of their hearts (Not the pumping organ of the chest). Its like a blind person who cant see the glow of any thing and hence cant comprehend the reality of anything because of his inability to see the rays of light.

In the same vein people with arrogance, self-conceitedness, delusional self glorification and fickle vanity become blind and therefore cant envision the beams of wisdom and true knowledge (Of course again by knowledge it doesnt means one has to get PhDs or Doctorates in order to get the tag of knowledgeable).Any logic and articulate reasoning cant penetrate through their opaque minds and hearts as these organs of them have been well confided with those kind of thick sheaths of ignorance and ailments to which it has been alluded in above sections.

So to me people like contra and their believes matter not even a speck of an atom and to these kind of ill and delusional people one can only say La Haula Wala Kuwata (There is no force and power in this world except with Allah Almighty) and we should try to ignore there irrational, childish and pathetic views and give a damn about these kind of jerks no matter how much they have gained in this world. All we need to do is to stick to those persons who have the receptive minds and hearts to hear the arguments with patience and open minds.

Bret Hawk

Mujahid

MPA (400+ posts)
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjxZfMw_G1Y&feature=PlayList&p=A590FC476D0E40BB&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=10[/video]

saqibmkhan

MPA (400+ posts)
Islam ruled the world for over 1200 hundred years and never used state power or military force to convert non-Muslims to Islam because it only permits voluntary conversion and forbids forceful conversion. Muslim ruled India for over thousands years and never forced Islam on the majority Hindus and if you would look at the statistics, 85% Indians are Hindus and Muslims were always a minority in India despite ruled by the Mughals and other dynasties.

Even many Muslims distort Islam by giving false and uncorroborated few irrational and irrelevant examples because of their little knowledge and ignorance of 'True Islam' that is of peace, love, harmony, compassion, tolerance and showing magnanimity to its adversary in hard times. In an Islamic society, the path of Islam is based on the middle path (ummatum wassatun): the Muslim outwardly applies reason, justice, compassion, and all other virtues while inwardly he or she is in abandonment and submission, trusting that the outcome to any situation will be the appropriate one. Therefore, whosoever is in true and constant submission, in utmost awareness both outwardly and inwardly is on the path of pursuing the ultimate knowledge and fulfilling their purpose. The best way to analyze the concept of Islam is to analyze what the glorious Quran speaks of Allah and not by examining what its adherents do or believe because many of the followers themselves do not know what their religious scriptures state about Almighty God. The Glorious Quran says in Surah Al Imran, Ch. No. 3, V. No. 64: Say: "O people of the Book! Come to common terms as between us and you: Which is the first term? That we worship none but Allah; that we associate no partners with Him; that we erect not from among ourselves Lords and patrons other than Allah." If then they turn back say: "Bear witness that we (at least) are Muslims (bowing to Allah's will)."

In Islam, Jihad means struggle or strive but the struggle must be peaceful and never violent. I will tell my Muslim brothers and sisters that they can win hearts and minds of everybody in the world by spreading Islamic message of peace (AS-Salaam), love, harmony, hope and mercy by reflecting piety and righteousness in their deeds, The best in this world as well as in the Hereafter." Islam is all embracing mode of life; it is communal and prefers a socially pragmatic life and demands its adherents to worship collectively of one Allah (God). Islam lays emphasis on strictly personal responsibility and encourages development of an individual and yet asks all Muslim to invite all mankind to become one community. All believers become brothers and sisters without distinction of class, race, tongue or nationality and the only superiority, which it recognizes, is a personal one, based on the greater piety (Quran 49/13).

Imran, I am a cricket lover and always admired your leadership as the captain of the national team and am glad that a spark kindled in your heart 'qalb' that moved you towards the wonderful and the most beautiful Deene-Islam and Sunnah of our beloved Prophet Mohammed (SAW). I hope and wish that you bring up your two handsome sons according to the teachings of glorious Quran and do not allow them to be led astray towards lewd secularism of the West. [imran] Zindabad

Alsadeeqalameen

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
Take my advice: never lie and always tell the truth because falsehood would crumble before the truth; be bold and never be timid and always face the injustice and wrong in the society with the open shirt.

sher_khan

Senator (1k+ posts)
I sincerely wish that Imran Khan could become a better politician.

One thing is for sure. He is a great person. And even a greater Pakistani

taul

Siasat.pk - Blogger
contra said:
You all really love your god and your prophet. :)

--Do you need more proof :ugeek: ..Infact not just us but all of over the world this Phenomenon is speeding up :geek: coz more People try to Malign this Beautiful and True religion of Islam,more people get anxious to know about it and end up Embracing Islam,Alhamdulillah :) that's a True wonder 8-)

contra

Senator (1k+ posts)
taul bhai,
taul said:
Do you need more proof :ugeek: ..Infact not just us but all of over the world this Phenomenon is speeding up :geek: coz more People try to Malign this Beautiful and True religion of Islam,more people get anxious to know about it and end up Embracing Islam,Alhamdulillah :) that's a True wonder 8-)

1. Friend this is a two way street. :geek:
Yes, people do convert to Islam, but please remember, muslims also convert to different religions.
Unfortunately, (even in the west) muslims who convert to other religions cannot practise their faith openly due to fear and risk to their life.

2. I really hope day people can freely convert to any religion without the fear of being killed...

taul

Siasat.pk - Blogger
contra said:
1. Friend this is a two way street. :geek:
Yes, people do convert to Islam, but please remember, muslims also convert to different religions.
Unfortunately, (even in the west) muslims who convert to other religions cannot practise their faith openly due to fear and risk to their life.

2. I really hope day people can freely convert to any religion without the fear of being killed...

---Nothing can Alleviate you of your Prejudice against Islam :roll: ..I believe i was referring to all the Reverts from across Europe and States :ugeek: ,,you must know Free will Holds upper hand there :ugeek: and no one gets killed for converting to other religion :oops: ,,but you already have Pre-occupied your mind with such Myths then all said and even Proved would be useless for you :shock: :D

--Not to mention the ratio of others reverting to Islam is far more and greater than muslims converting to other faith :geek:

biomat

Minister (2k+ posts)
Assalam o alaikum
Sorry for late reply
contra wrote:
I don't believe in the existence of a soul.
When something does not exist, how does it matter where "it" goes???
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Contra bhai, if modern science or physics have not proven existance of SOUL then it doesnot mean that it doesnot exists. In our holy book QURAN there are stages of HUMAN EMBRYO or FEUTUS mentioned Quran, 23:12-14
023.012 Man We did create from a quintessence (of clay);
023.013 Then We placed him as (a drop of) sperm in a place of rest, firmly fixed;
023.014 Then We made the sperm into a clot of congealed blood; then of that clot We made a (foetus) lump; then we made out of that lump bones and clothed the bones with flesh; then we developed out of it another creature. So blessed be God, the best to create!
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
, would people in past where modern science (ULTRASOUND, ECHO & COLOR DOPPLER) was not available, all the non muslims said the same that they dont agree as they have not seen it..
Wait for some more years or decades insha ALLAH u will get the truth..

Jabral Tariq

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
Imran:

I am glad that you study Iqbal's and get a lot of inspiration from his wonderful poetry.

Remember this as the great poet said:

"Herr shaiy musafir, herr cheez rahi
Kiya chand tare, kiya murg wa mahi

Awal wa akhar fina, battan wa zahir fina
niqshe kuhan ho kay nu manzil, akhar fina"