In Pakistan History Just a few MNAs resigned on pure moral grounds

saveranadeem6

Voter (50+ posts)
LAHORE: Although around 25 National Assembly members are known to have resigned from Pakistans Lower House of Parliament owing to multiple reasons during the last seven years or so, just half a dozen of these legislators have gone on to vacate their seats on principles.

With her resignation on Wednesday, Marvi Memon of PML-Q now finds a place among the handful of Pakistani politicians in countrys recent parliamentary history, who promptly responded to the small subtle voices of conscience by giving up their House seats. On March 9, 2004, Zafar Iqbal Warraich of the Pakistan Peoples Party had set up a new tradition in the countrys parliamentary history, when he had decided to resign from his NA-196 Rahimyar Khan seat and contest again on a PML-Q ticket.

Zafar Iqbal, who had been associated with the Peoples Party for nearly two decades, had decided to part ways with his parent political entity in strong protest to what he called the hijacking of party by Qabza mafia.

Addressing a press conference at the Parliament House after his move, Zafar Iqbal had vehemently accused the PPP of backing out of its very objectives and principles. With Warraichs resignation, cracks within the PPP had then become evident to all. Though a good number of political analysts had termed Zafar Iqbals decision a tactical defection, there were a few vocal voices that had dubbed it a purely principled stance. Dr Tahir-ul-Qadri, Chairman Pakistan Awami Tehreek (PAT), had tendered his resignation on October 15, 2004 as a mark of remonstration against the passage of the dual-office bill that had given legitimacy to the then President General Musharraf to continue as countrys Army Chief beyond December 31, 2004.

Soon after giving up his National Assembly membership, Dr Qadri had viewed, When Musharraf took over, we supported his seven-point agenda, but the president failed to carry out across-the-board accountability and transfer power to the elected representatives after elections. Musharraf is controlling everything while parliament is a rubber stamp. I dont feel that I should sit in such a powerless parliament which can be suspended with a single stroke of a generals pen.

Dr Qadri was also quoted as saying; I hereby resign from my National Assembly seat, NA-127, under the illegal rule of the uniform. I feel insulted to sit in a house which passed a bill to perpetuate the rule of a dictator.

On September 6, 2006, Abdul Rauf Mengal, a member of the Balochistan National Party (Mengal Group) gave up his Khuzdar seat (NA-269) to protest the killing of Jamhoori Watan Party (JWP) chief Nawab Akbar Bugti in the Kohlu military operation. In his resignation, which Mengal had handed over to the Assembly secretary after an angry speech on the floor of the house, the MNA had protested against the August 26, 2006 killing of Akbar Bugti and his disgraceful burial.

Yet another MNA, Sahibzada Haroon-ur-Rashid Abbasi, resigned from his National Assembly (NA-44 Tribal Area IX) seat on November 14, 2006. By doing so, the MMA leader had basically registered his protest against the October 30, 2006 air strike on a Bajaur Madrasah in which over 80 students and teachers were killed.

On July 23, 2007, the then Jamaat-e-Islami Chief and Muttahida Majlis-e-Amal (MMA) President, Qazi Hussain Ahmed, became the first parliamentary party leader to resign from the 2002-2007 graduate National Assembly.

Meanwhile, as many as five MQM National Assembly members (including a minister) had to resign from their seats on the directives of their party chief Altaf Hussain. The then Minister of State for Religious Affairs, Dr Aamir Liaquat Hussain, Resgin due to conflict over Salman Rushdie Issue and he leave his office on July 4, 2007 due to his bold stance against his version over statement against Salman Rushdie.

Earlier, the MQMs Coordination Committee had sent four of its MNAs packing, as they were unable to give sufficient time to their constituencies. These MQM lawmakers were Messrs Sarkar-ud-Din (NA-240), Sultan Ahmed Khan (NA-243) and Azizullah Brohi (NA-246), who had submitted their resignations on March 15, 2004 and Ms Shamim Akhtar (NA-317 Women Sindh), who was asked to call it a day on February 22, 2007.

Within its rank and file, the then ruling PML-Q too had a few obedient lawmakers, who had immediately responded to the call of their leadership and promptly did what was required of them.

Ms Eman Wasim, the daughter of the then Attock District Nazim Tahir Sadiq and niece of PML-Q President Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain, had to vacate her seat (NA-59 Attock) for the election of former Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz.

Similarly, Arbab Zakaullah was the other MNA who had to quit his NA-229 Tharparkar seat for the election of Shaukat Aziz. After Shaukat Aziz had decided to retain his Attock seat, the extremely compliant Arbab Zakaullah had again found a place in the National Assembly by winning the by-election. However, over a dozen MNAs from various political parties had surrendered their National Assembly memberships during these last seven years to become District Nazims. Just to cite a few examples, Abdul Qayyum Jatoi of the PPP had resigned from his NA-180 seat to become the district Nazim of Muzaffargarh,

Sardar Salim Jan Mazari of the PML-Q also quit his NA-210 seat to become district Nazim of Jacobabad.The then PPP President of Bahawalpur Division and MNA Mumtaz Ahmad Matiana, had resigned from his seat and joined the ruling PML-Q to become the district Nazim of his area. Messrs Jalil Sharaqpuri and Inamul Haq Piracha were among the other MNAs in the 2002-07 National Assembly, who had preferred to become District Nazims of their respective hometowns over their House memberships. The above-mentioned list does not, of course, include the names of those disgraceful MNAs who were ordered to resign (mostly by court) on charges of holding fake educational degrees and their involvement in other shameful corruption scandals

drsaleem007

Senator (1k+ posts)
Shah Mehmood Qureshi
Javed Hashim
Jahangir Tareen
Sardar Asif Ahmad Ali

They all resugned on Moral Grounds bcs they left their party and joined another one ........... why no name of them
LIFAFAAAAAAAAAAAAA

ummah

Councller (250+ posts)
Dr. Tahir Ul Qadri resigned keeping in mind the rubber stamp assembly. He an educated person and wanted to talk on issues of national interests but the real atmosphere of the assembly is just blame game between members.

Last edited:

ummah

Councller (250+ posts)
Dr Tahir Ul Qadri has nothing to do in politics ..... he shud refrain frm it
Yes he has nothing to do with typical pakistani politics and he has announced he will not be part... But he will change the system and politics to allow capable people to contest in election... Its time to change this corrupt system, who even does not allow a Phd person to contest, but allow fake degree holders to rule on us.... Come and join on #23Dec at # Minar-e-pakistan for the surgery of this cancerous system...

rafiq

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
Yes he has nothing to do with typical pakistani politics and he has announced he will not be part... But he will change the system and politics to allow capable people to contest in election... Its time to change this corrupt system, who even does not allow a Phd person to contest, but allow fake degree holders to rule on us.... Come and join on #23Dec at # Minar-e-pakistan for the surgery of this cancerous system...

I read the link you posted with Dr Qadri's reasons for resigning and I must say, I am VERY impressed. I'll support his come back for 23rd December! Him and his organisation need to rescue Pakistan and stop it sinking. I think he is the only one who can do this.

ummah

Councller (250+ posts)
I read the link you posted with Dr Qadri's reasons for resigning and I must say, I am VERY impressed. I'll support his come back for 23rd December! Him and his organisation need to rescue Pakistan and stop it sinking. I think he is the only one who can do this.
Together we can make it, under the leadership of visionary leader like Dr. Tahir ul Qadri. Come with your family and friends. Welcome(clap)(clap)

A.Chaudhry

Banned
Historic Step

Dr. Tahir-ul-Qadri is a famous and popular Pakistani religious and political leader who shocked the nation with his surprise resignation as a Member of the National Assembly. This move no doubt multiplied his popularity as the public finally saw some body who could shun the on going mockery and deception being carried out in the name of democracy and stand up to the dictatorship to condemn its militarization of democracy in Pakistan.

This step by Dr.Tahir-ul-Qadri was indeed an historic one, as no such example is found in our history other than that of Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah who also issued his resignation in protest of the passing of specific legislation.

Dr Tahir-ul-Qadri’s resignation sent shockwaves through governmental ranks especially those clandestine hands in which true power and authority lies. It has been welcomed throughout the nation as the public saw it as a decisive ‘punch’ in the ongoing fight between democracy and authoritarianism.

This document critically analyses the role of the National Assembly and exposes the deliberate conspiracies which have been enacted by Musharraf’s government to make the Assembly defunct, idol and insignificant in practical terms. It also exposes the string of Musharraf’s broken promises and the blatant failure of the regime’s five years in office. This document is a wakeup call for all Pakistanis. It clearly portrays the deception and fraud which has been carried out with the Pakistani people over the past five years in the name of ‘true democracy’; that in actual fact the roots of democracy are being obliterated with the foundations of an eternal military dictatorship being laid and strengthened.

Dr. Tahir-ul-Qadri, in order to safeguard the ideology of Pakistan, has done us all a great favour in awakening us from the hypnosis of anti-Pakistan powers. Every patriotic Pakistani must read this document if there is any hope of averting the road map to destruction which we have been blindly lead towards.​

Complete resignation: http://www.minhaj.org/images-db/resignation-eng.pdf

ummah

Councller (250+ posts)
Historic Step

Dr. Tahir-ul-Qadri is a famous and popular Pakistani religious and political leader who shocked the nation with his surprise resignation as a Member of the National Assembly. This move no doubt multiplied his popularity as the public finally saw some body who could shun the on going mockery and deception being carried out in the name of democracy and stand up to the dictatorship to condemn its militarization of democracy in Pakistan.

This step by Dr.Tahir-ul-Qadri was indeed an historic one, as no such example is found in our history other than that of Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah who also issued his resignation in protest of the passing of specific legislation.

Dr Tahir-ul-Qadri’s resignation sent shockwaves through governmental ranks especially those clandestine hands in which true power and authority lies. It has been welcomed throughout the nation as the public saw it as a decisive ‘punch’ in the ongoing fight between democracy and authoritarianism.

This document critically analyses the role of the National Assembly and exposes the deliberate conspiracies which have been enacted by Musharraf’s government to make the Assembly defunct, idol and insignificant in practical terms. It also exposes the string of Musharraf’s broken promises and the blatant failure of the regime’s five years in office. This document is a wakeup call for all Pakistanis. It clearly portrays the deception and fraud which has been carried out with the Pakistani people over the past five years in the name of ‘true democracy’; that in actual fact the roots of democracy are being obliterated with the foundations of an eternal military dictatorship being laid and strengthened.

Dr. Tahir-ul-Qadri, in order to safeguard the ideology of Pakistan, has done us all a great favour in awakening us from the hypnosis of anti-Pakistan powers. Every patriotic Pakistani must read this document if there is any hope of averting the road map to destruction which we have been blindly lead towards.​

Yes a historic step. Every one ran after seat by hook or by crook, but Dr. Tahir ul Qadri courageously resigned on principals.

iftikharalam

Minister (2k+ posts)

Are you living in dreams? Most of Pakistanis don't even consider him a religious authority and consider him as a joke, a drama who sits and watch dance of old men in front of him, and throw money on them just like if he is watching mujra!! Didn't you see his videos on Youtube in which he was watching men dance and throwing money on them? Number of his speeches were ripped apart in counter speeches by other scholars!! Youtube is filled with hundred of videos in which this qadri is proved a drama!!!

ummah

Councller (250+ posts)
Are you living in dreams? Most of Pakistanis don't even consider him a religious authority and consider him as a joke, a drama who sits and watch dance of old men in front of him, and throw money on them just like if he is watching mujra!! Didn't you see his videos on Youtube in which he was watching men dance and throwing money on them? Number of his speeches were ripped apart in counter speeches by other scholars!! Youtube is filled with hundred of videos in which this qadri is proved a drama!!!
Yes, I am living in dream... The dream of completion of Pakistan. I am not influenced by the fawas of other scholars who relies on their fatwas for their bread and butter, they have no courage to stand against to corrupt system, but know how to declare someone kafir.....Look the facts and open your eyes http://www.minhaj.org/english/tid/1...ch-in-Al-Azhar-University-Egypt-tour-2012.htm..... otherwise follow the so called mullahs, who are no where except their fatwas.

ummah

Councller (250+ posts)
I think you do not know scholars who give respect to intellectuals and scholars like Dr.Tahir ul Qadri...http://www.minhaj.org/english/tid/1...iversity-on-invitation-of-Shaykh-ul-Azhar.htm dont follow jealous mullahs on there fatwas. There were many like those who countered Allama Iqbal as well. Truth prevails more after facing more propaganda.

umer7399

Historic Step

Dr Tahir-ul-Qadris resignation sent shockwaves through governmental ranks especially those clandestine hands in which true power and authority lies. It has been welcomed throughout the nation as the public saw it as a decisive punch in the ongoing fight between democracy and authoritarianism.

This document critically analyses the role of the National Assembly and exposes the deliberate conspiracies which have been enacted by Musharrafs government to make the Assembly defunct, idol and insignificant in practical terms. It also exposes the string of Musharrafs broken promises and the blatant failure of the regimes five years in office. This document is a wakeup call for all Pakistanis. It clearly portrays the deception and fraud which has been carried out with the Pakistani people over the past five years in the name of true democracy; that in actual fact the roots of democracy are being obliterated with the foundations of an eternal military dictatorship being laid and strengthened.

thank you v much for sharing

iftikharalam

Minister (2k+ posts)
Yes, I am living in dream... The dream of completion of Pakistan. I am not influenced by the fawas of other scholars who relies on their fatwas for their bread and butter, they have no courage to stand against to corrupt system, but know how to declare someone kafir.....Look the facts and open your eyes http://www.minhaj.org/english/tid/1...ch-in-Al-Azhar-University-Egypt-tour-2012.htm..... otherwise follow the so called mullahs, who are no where except their fatwas.

the dream of completion of Pakistan? By who? the mullah who watch dances of old bearded men and throw money on them!!! OK, what is the alternate!!! I am sick of this rant that current political system is corrupt or failed, everyone knows that, there is nothing new in this slogan!! Let us know the ALTERNATIVE SOLUTION?

KhanIsKhan

I do agree with you .. Dr Tahir-ul-Qadri 's Resignation is really also an Historical Document ,.. which also shows Dr Qadri's Democratic Insight & Commitment which lacks in other majority of politicians those are mere clever group of opportunities

Lt Kamran

Voter (50+ posts)
In-fact only Dr Tahir ul Qadri resigned form assembly on moral grounds b/c after this he never join assembly,all other members one way or the other resign b/c they have fight with their parent party,or resign b/c to increase their political price value.....
like MMA in Musharraf era give threat of resign but passed 4 y & 11 months.....after taking last pay of last year they resign.....
(clap)(clap)(clap)(clap)(clap)(clap)