Is Pakistan selling its mining rights of Himalayan Salt to a US company

Munawarkhan

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
A Pakistan based US company will start mining and try to control the raw sector of Himalayan Salt. They want to track & trace all extraction from the mine and work on creating policy to protect sale of raw goods. But under who's interest? This should be done by Pakistan not private owned company.

The raw salt will be processed and distributed through 2 locations one in Doha & one in China.

For other minerals these type of extractions are excellent, but Himalayn salt has been mined for decades and sold not only locally but also globally. Watching the interview of the US firm owner, they are acting like this was some protected stuff and they will help mine it. How can single company get mining rights for something that we have already been mining?

Details for this is required, we can't keep selling Pakistan to foreign companies.

US company to invest $200m in Pak pink salt industry

NailaFirdous

MPA (400+ posts)
This is a good idea, Pakistan obviously doesn't have the capacity to mine itself, its hasn't been able to mine much in the last 76 years. As much as I hate the current setup and the napak military, even in Europe contract within a country are given to foreign countries. China has control of many utility companies in the UK and Germany.

The key thing is that foreign reserves need to come in, salt is a relatively cheap commodity.

Munawarkhan

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
This is a good idea, Pakistan obviously doesn't have the capacity to mine itself, its hasn't been able to mine much in the last 76 years. As much as I hate the current setup and the napak military, even in Europe contract within a country are given to foreign countries. China has control of many utility companies in the UK and Germany.

The key thing is that foreign reserves need to come in, salt is a relatively cheap commodity.

Khewra salt mine is the world's second largest salt mine. The techniques and equipments are decades old and outdate, but it doens't mean we haven't been able to mine much. value-addition & export is our issue.

The fear is that they will monoplise production & extraction of Himalayan Salt. Even Khewra salt mine will close down as they won't be able to compete with a technological advanced company

• Investment should be limited to provide facilities and training to our miners & manufacturers or for the manufacturing of mining equipment. Letting a private company setup mining facility will give added benefit to the private company only.

• Giving an advanced international country, mining rights without bidding means, they will just beat the local competition out

• Investment should be done solely for processing facilities. Developing processing facility in Doha & China means more raw exports less value added.