Jinnah's 'lost' speeches from Indian archives

M Ali Khan

Minister (2k+ posts)
Clipped Speeches:

Jinnah's 'secular' speeches are pieces of history, trapped on elusive spools. Outlook tracks down two of the three master recordings that Pakistan wants from India.

Anuradha Raman

http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?287634

jinnah_20130909.jpg
Getty Images (From Outlook 09 September 2013)
Ideas into words At a Jan 1, 1946, press conference, Jinnah announces his intention to create Pakistan

Magazine | Sep 09, 2013

Clipped Speech

Jinnah's 'secular' speeches are pieces of history, trapped on elusive spools. Outlook tracks down two of the three master recordings that Pakistan wants from India.

Anuradha Raman

For 66 years, the two spools remained unaired and unheardsafely locked up in the vaults of the archives of All India Radio in Indias capital. The labels on them are terse: Jinnah, they read. Only a few knew of their contents or value. Unlike other recordings of historical import, neatly marked for date, time and context, the Jinnah tapes were something that existed behind a bureaucratic iron curtain.

Now, on hearing the master tapes after an eight-month pursuit, this much can be said: Mohammed Ali Jinnah sounds every bit like the man he despisedPandit Jawaharlal Nehru. Only, the accent is stiffer, more gravelly, more Brit. And yes, in one of them at least, the Karachi-born barrister makes the same noises as the one from Allahabad.

The first of the two recordings we heard was perhaps Jinnahs last address on the radio within the borders of what is now India. It was made on June 3, 1947, in Delhi, two months before he left for the country that had become his lifes mission. All India Radios internal records do not reveal if Jinnah came to its studios to record it or if sound recordists were sent to his house at 10, Aurangzeb Road. All we can say is this: it lasts seven minutes and 45 seconds.

The second, shorter but more well-known recording was his address to the Constituent Assembly of Pakistan on the day that nation came into existence: August 14, 1947. It is, in a manner of speaking, the equivalent of Nehrus Tryst with Destiny speech, full of high values and noble objectives. In spirit, it has a direct kinship with the speech three days before that: the famously elusive August 11 speech, which he made at the Pakistan Constituent Assembly's first meeting. (Only the transcript of the full speech is available, though purported excerpts show up on Youtube)

After 228 words into his address to the framers of Pakistans constitution, Jinnah voices his tolerant vision: The tolerance and goodwill that the great emperor Akbar showed to all non-Muslims is not of recent origin. It dates back 13 centuries, when our Prophet, not only by words, but by deeds, treated the Jews and Christians handsomely after he conquered them.

For those who haven't chanced upon it before at online chaupals where such things have great currency, hearing the creator of the first country carved out on the basis of religion talk of the other Abrahamic religions in the same bre*ath as Islam, and of tolerance and respect for other faiths and beliefs too, is at once thrilling and humbling. Especially if one juxtaposes it with the reality of modern-day Pakistan.

It is the master recordings of the Constituent Assembly speeches in Karachi that Pakistan has been chasing for years, if not decades now. How India came to be in their possession is not as mysterious as it may sound. As the two nations stood parted by Cyril Radcliffes scalpel, Pakistan requested All India Radio to send sound engineers to record the birth of the new nation, as it were.

Reason: neither Lahore nor Peshawar, both classified as Class B radio stations, had the wherewithal.

All India Radio complied. Its engineers, said to be all south Indians, came back with two recordings. The August 11 one, where Jinnah spelt out his secular vision for Pakistan with the now memorable words, You are free to worship in your temples and mosques.... It is this missing speech that landed L.K. Advani in trouble in 2005.

The second recording (one of the two we hunted down) is the official master tape of Jinnahs Aug 14 address. All India Radio sources say the August 11 recording is not with us. Be that as it may, why All India Radio has still not handed over the master August 14 recording to Pakistan is unclear. One version has it that the bloodshed during Partition had coloured minds in India about a certain disconnect with Jinnahs words contained in the radio address. Another version has it that Pandit Jawaharlal Nehrus animosity knew no bounds.

communal_riot_20130909.jpg

August 1946 Communal riots break out in Calcutta. (Photograph by Getty Images, From Outlook 09 September 2013)
Why Pakistan wants the tapes now and what it will do with them is unclear too. But among those eagerly waiting to hear the official tapes is Murtaza Solangi, director-general of Pakistan Broadcasting Corporation: The August 11 recording is not in public domain and from my point of view, hearing the speech is very important because the founder of Pakistan clearly speaks his vision of a peace-loving, pluralistic, democratic Muslim majority Pakistan, as opposed to an Islamist state. I also believe that, had Pakistan pursued the vision of Jinnah, we would not be facing an existential threat caused by home-grown extremists and terrorists.

Solangi has written to All India Radio, but has been told that a search is on. Both the Nehru Memorial Library and BBC have told him they do not have the Jinnah tapes. The text of Jinnahs August 11 address is available in some scholarly works, but after General Zia-ul-Haq became president of Pakistan, the establishment there preferred to excise all references to secularism to reinforce the identity of an Islamic country.

Mushirul Hasan, the director of National Archives, Delhi, hasnt heard the tapes. But he has a few sharp cuts for Jinnah. He says, Jinnahs address is a case of too little, too late. It is of academic importance. After all the bloodshed, which he is partially responsible for, how can one forget that he crafted a new nation on the basis of religion? That said, societies which go through civil strife do go back to the vision of the father of the nation. In contrast, we may have forgotten our father of the nationthis is because we are a more confident country as we have a functioning democracy with the democratic structures in place.

Its not just Jinnah. The shared legacy of Sadat Hasan Manto, one of the foremost portraitists of Partition, sits hidden in some vault of All India Radio. When historian Ayesha Jalal, Mantos grandniece, sought the recordings as part of ongoing research, she was told by officials that the recordings did not exist. Yet, persistent queries have revealed that All India Radio does have a recording of a Manto play. It is also learnt that All India Radio would like to have the recordings of actors Dilip Kumar and Prithviraj Kapoor from Pakistans broadcasting authority. Officials are not saying whether there is a quid pro quo involved here.

It took Outlook all of eight months to hear All India Radios Jinnah recordings. This was preceded by much stonewalling and countless calls for approval from the Prasar Bharati Corporation, which is the parent body of All India Radio; the information and broadcasting ministry, the controlling aut*hority; and finally, the ministry of external affairs. The external affairs ministry was involved because Jinnah is a foreigner, and in matters related to two nations, it is this ministry that has the final say.

A version of this appears in print

Also In This Story
HeadlinesBullet.gif
The Jinnah Tapes 1

HeadlinesBullet.gif
The Jinnah Tapes 2

HeadlinesBullet.gif
The Cynic As Daydreamer

HeadlinesBullet.gif
What Divided Jinnah

Niazi Hawk

Minister (2k+ posts)
hahaha.jinnah aur secular
jo bnda VOA ko interview mein pak ko prime islamic state khy,jo khy ky pak islam ki tajrabagaah hai....jo bnda yeh khy ky ALLAH qaymat ky din khy ky jinnah tu ny muslaman hny ka haq ada kr dya......wo bnda secular:(
minorities ko equal rights islam dta hai.......secular jesa lafaz tu jinnah ko gali hai.......aik 11 aug ki speech ko itna taroor maroor ky pesh krna..........aur jo quaid ny kai baar islamic socailism,equality ki baat ki........

lurker

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
We need to separate Religion from the State of Pakistan. "It has nothing to do with the business of the state" - Jinnah.

M Ali Khan

Minister (2k+ posts)
Speech #1

Date recorded: August 14, 1947 Location: Karachi

<em>

I thank his majesty, the King, on behalf of the Pakistan Constituent Assembly and myself for his wishes and message. I know great responsibilities lie ahead and I naturally reciprocate his sentiment and we greatly appreciate his assurance of sympathy and support and I hope that you will please communicate to his majesty our assurance of goodwill and friendship for the British nation and the crown head of the British government. I thank your excellency for your expressions and good wishes for the future of Pakistan.

It will be our constant efforts to work for the welfare and well-being of all the communities in Pakistan and I hope that everyone will be inspired by the idea of public service and they will be imbued with the spirit of cooperation and will show the political and civic virtues which go to make a great nation.

I once more thank you and Lady Mountbatten for your kindness and good wishes. Yes, we are parting as friends and I sincerely hope that we shall remain friends. I wish to say that we appreciate the spirit in which those in the government service at the present and in the armed forces and others have so willingly and ungrudgingly volunteered themselves to provisionally serve Pakistan. As servants of Pakistan we shall make them happy and they will be treated equally with our nationals.

The tolerance and goodwill that the great emperor Akbar showed to all non-Muslims is not of recent origin. It dates back 13 centuries ago when our prophet not only by words but by deeds treated the Jews and Christians handsomely after he conquered them.

He showed to them outmost tolerance and regard and respect for their faith and beliefs. The whole history of Muslims where they ruled is replete with those humane and great principles and which should be followed and practised by us.

Finally, I thank you for your good wishes for Pakistan and I assure you that we shall not be wanting in friendly spirit with our neighbours and with all the nations of the world.

Before I conclude, I wish to express our thanks to some of the messages of goodwill and friendship that have reached me. The first one is from President Truman on behalf of their great American nation. Second is from Egypt. Third from France, fourth from Syria and fifth from Nepal our neighbour.

I am sure you will all join me in expressing our cordial thanks for their friendly messages that we have received from these nations. In all, I have to conclude the proceeding of this assembly and this assembly now stand adjourned sine die.

http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?287635#.UiMHGtbR1zs.facebook

Last edited:

M Ali Khan

Minister (2k+ posts)
Speech #2

Date recorded: June 3, 1947 Location: New Delhi

I am glad that I have been afforded the opportunity to speak to you directly through this radio from Delhi. It is the first time I believe that a non-official has been accorded an opportunity to address the people through the medium of this powerful instrument direct to the people on political matters.

It augurs well and I hope that in the future I shall have greater facilities to enable me to voice my view and opinions directly to you live rather than in the cold print of the newspapers. The statement of his majesty’s government embodying the plan of the transfer of power to the peoples of India has already been broadcast and will be released to the press to be published tomorrow morning.

It gives the outlines of a plan, for us to give it our most consideration—we have to examine it coolly, calmly and dispassionately. We must remember that we have to take momentous decisions and handle grave issues facing us in the solution of the complex political problem of this great subcontinent inhabited by 400 millions of people. The words have no parallel on the most onerous and difficult task which we have to perform.

Grave responsibilities lie particularly on the shoulders of Indian leaders, therefore we must galvanise and concentrate all our energies to see that the transfer of power is effected in a peaceful and orderly manner. I must earnestly appeal to every community, in particular the Muslims in India, to maintain peace and order. We must examine the plan in its letter and spirit and come our conclusions and take our decision. I pray to god that in this critical moment he may guide us and enable us to discharge our responsibilities in a wise and a statesman-like manner having regard to the sum total of the plan as a whole.

It is clear that the plan does not meet in some important respects our point of view. And we cannot say or feel that we are satisfied or that we agreed with some of the matters dealt with in the plan. It is for us to consider whether the plan as presented to us by his majesty’s government should be accepted by us as a compromise or a settlement.

On this point I do not wish to judge. The decision of the Council of All India Muslim Council League which has been summoned to meet on Monday the 9th of June and the final decision can only be taken by the Council according to our constitution, precedence and practice.

But so far as I have been able to gather, the whole reaction in the Muslim League Circle in Delhi has been hopeful. Of course the plan has got to be very carefully examined in its pros and cons before a final decision can be taken. I must say that I feel the viceroy has battled against various forces very bravely and the expression that he has left in my minds is that he was activated by a high sense of fairness and impartiality and it is important to us to make his task less difficult and help him insofar as it lies in our power in order that he may fulfil his vision of transfer of power to the people of India in a peaceful and orderly manner.

Now that the plan has been broadcast orally and makes it clear in paragraph 11 that the referendum will be made to the electorates of the present legislative assembly and the North West Frontier who will choose which of the two alternatives in paragraph 4 they wish to adopt. The referendum will be held under the aegis of the governor general in consultation with the provincial government.

Hence it is clear that the verdict and the mandate of the people of the Frontier province will be obtained as to whether they want to join the Pakistan Constituent Assembly or the Hindustan Constituent Assembly.

In these circumstances, I request the provincial Muslim League of the Frontier Province to withdraw the movement of peaceful civil disobedience which they have perforce resorted to and I call upon all the leaders of the Muslim League and the Musalmans generally to organise all the people to face the referendum with open courage and I feel confident that the people of the Frontier will give their verdict by a solid vote to join the Pakistan Constituent Assembly.

I cannot but express my appreciation of the sufferings and sacrifices made by all classes of Musal*mans and particularly the great part that the women of the Frontier played in the fight for our civil liberties. Without apportioning blame and this is hardly the moment to do so, I deeply sympathise with all those who have suffered and those who died and whose properties were subjected to destruction and I fervently hope that the Frontier will go through this referendum in a peaceful manner and it should be the anxiety of everyone to obtain a fair, free and true verdict of the people.

Once more, I must earnestly appeal to all to maintain peace and order.

Pakistan Zindabad

http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?287636