Malala University The only Solution: Khalid Zaheer

indigo

Siasat.pk - Blogger
The Malala University

I tweeted the dream of making a Malala university. The idea has alhamdulillah drawn the attention of some other people as well. I want to give answers to the following questions in this article: Why do we need such a university and what would it teach? What else needs to be done to solve the problems we are facing? Why do we need to call it Malala University? And would it be just a stand-alone university? Why am I not the person who could do the job? Each of these questions is going to be briefly answered in the following paragraphs in the sequence they appear above.

A university which teaches to produce moderate, peace-loving scholars is a serious need of the Pakistani society. It is more important than a Kalabagh Dam or any other desperately needed project. Our society is reeling because of the curse of extremism and sectarianism that has proliferated and is continuing to do so through the existing Madrassah-Masjid based system of providing Islamic education to scholars and masses. No amount of texting, tweeting, writing articles, verbally presenting views on television channels is going to solve the problem. The problem has existed in our society because our sect-based Madrassahs are producing scholars at a staggering speed who are then taking charge of Masajid which are multiplying at a high speed too. The more it happens, the more extremism it would create and the resultant problems would multiply. Believe me, no political party, no army, no foreign aid, nothing would solve the problem. If anything can counter the threat, it is the production process of genuine scholars scholars who dont belong to any sect, those who are trained to seek the truth directly from the Quran and in the light of it through Sunnah and hadith, scholars who know their own religion well, they know other religions well too, and they also know the contemporary discipline of social and physical sciences well too. When these scholars are going to present Islam not only on television screens and newspapers etc but also, and more importantly, in Masajid, the difference will begin to (and only begin) to appear. There is no problem if the university teaches other disciplines too; in fact it would be good if it does so. However, the University should owe its existence to the desperate religious need.

The previous paragraph clarifies that a university itself is not a complete solution to the problem: It is only a part of the solution. The scourge of religious extremism cannot begin to show even initial signs of receding from our society unless we come up with the accompanying idea of ensuring that the graduates of the university are going to have Masajid in which they will become Imams and will deliver the Khutba of Juma. The trouble is that our society learns its religion from this twin arrangement of Madrassahs and Masajid but never bothers to make the careers of those associated with it attractive enough to pull the imagination of intelligent, bright youngsters towards it. We have to make it a career competitive enough for intelligent young students to seek. I can see some inkling of a change in some parts of our country, like in the Masajid of armed forces and DHA. However, as yet the change is too little to have any significant impact on the society. A major change in that area is also needed if the university project is to be meaningful.

We need to call this institution Malala University. This is because the incident of the brave girl has highlighted the problem like no other incident could ever do. Many religious scholars and parties have joined in the condemnation of what has happened to Malala. And it is a welcome initiative. However, many of those who are condemning the ghastly act dont even realize that they are a part of the problem. Atrocities of lesser intensities keep happening in our society in the name of religion. People hate each other for holding different religious views like never before; believers are urged to get rid of rulers forcibly in the name of religion; women are confined to a state of virtual house arrest even today and so on. If anything can change the scenario it is a university whose name must reflect the spirit that has caused it to be created. That spirit is badly needed to be reflected in the name of the institution too. And it has not been demonstrated more forcefully than by the daughter of the nation: Malala.

Malala University has to be the mother institution that should beget many others. Like the Madrassah at Deoband was ultimately responsible for begetting many children and grand children, Malala University will herald the process of an unstoppable chain of institutions. If we are looking for transforming the society, we need to have a complete dream. The Malala University will reach out to all places where Madrassahs exist. It will provide a healthy competition to them. In fact, inshaAllah, those institutions will also find themselves forced to merge themselves with it. Such would be the force of change.

There are several reasons why this idea is looking for at least one Sir Syed Ahmed Khan if not more. It cannot be created by a person of a lesser stature: It has to be someone who is trusted by the nation, like Edhi is trusted for his work of charity. I am too ordinary a person to play that role. And its not an expression of fake humbleness that prompts me to say that. There are reasons why I am convinced that I am not the person for the job, although it would always be a pleasure to assist the one who would take up the challenge. I have always tried and failed to realize the idea. I failed because I am not the person who can do it. Apart from other personal limitations, I am horrible at doing administrative work. But there is an even more important reason why I cannot be the person for doing it. I am already known to be a representative of a certain religious school. I cannot be an acceptable candidate to many well-meaning people for undertaking this gigantic task. The propaganda onslaught against people like me would so strong that the idea would die even before it begins to actualize. I would love my religious point of view to be presented along with all others for students to make an intelligent choice, but I wouldnt want this wonderful idea to be killed in the womb because of the controversies associated with me. The Sir Syed of Malala University has to be as nearly a consensus candidate as could be possible.

May the Almighty cause him to emerge soon.

_pakistan

Minister (2k+ posts)
1304935968732.jpg

drmanzoormian

MPA (400+ posts)
The societies which can't love and care enough the daughters like Malala; tolerate people like Hakim Saeed, don't survive.
Like it or not mullas of any sort have to be shunted aside. World has become too complex for them to comprehend. They had been thorn in the side through out the history. They were tools of oppression or oppressors themselves. This has been true of mullas in all the religions. The West found the solution to their problems in snatching platform of state from them. Honestly it did good to their religion as well. Look at their contribution to education, health care, social welfare, fight against hunger and many other services to the humanity. Can we see any institutionalized service to humanity by our religious elite except division, fanaticism, extremism, intolerance, illiteracy and backwardness.
It is bout time that every silent observer rise up and contribute to eradicating this mennace or else be ready for the final call.

such bolo

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
first there should be a Drone University
then go for Malala University

no Drones no extremism
no extremism no Malala

so...Drone comes first

indigo

Siasat.pk - Blogger
"Why only condemn Malala and not victims of drones?" Dr. Taimur Rahman

Some people have been asking why there is so much outrage with respect to Malala and never the same outrage when children die in drone strikes. They argue that in both cases children are killed; hence, the outrage should be the same in both instances.

I think that most Pakistanis are opposed to drone strikes. I personally am also opposed to drone strikes. This is not because drones cause a lot of "collateral damage". In fact, of all the methods used against extremists, some studies show that drones cause the least "collateral damage". Military operations have frequently resulted in the deaths of many more people, not to mention the displacement of millions of people from their homes. The reason I oppose drones is because they are a violation of Pakistan's national sovereignty. A sovereignty that we struggled for and won after a century of struggle against colonial rule. US imperialism has everywhere been engaged in military campaigns of a neo-colonial nature that are threatening these gains of the peoples of the world. And drone strikes are merely a continuation of these aggressive neo-colonial ventures.

In my opinion the reason why Pakistani's have shown more outrage over Malala is because while drone strikes are aimed at alleged terrorists (but frequently cause the death and destruction of non-combatants including women and children), Malala was the deliberate target of the Taliban. She was the deliberate target of the Taliban because she spoke up for the right to education. In fact, the TTP indicated clearly that they would target her again if she survived. This deliberate targeting of a minor, considering a child of 14 years an enemy that deserves death, is utterly shocking for everyone because in all rules of war or all codes of humanity (whether we talk about religion or secular) the targeting of children is quite simply considered by the entire world as a heinous and unforgivable crime.

In conclusion, it is because of the Taliban's DELIBERATE targeting of a child for speaking up about education that people are outraged. And it clearly underscores that Pakistan must fight this menace of the Taliban, not on the terms of US interests, but on our own terms, for our own children, our own future, and our very survival as a democratic society.

Sohraab

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
In Short yeh University Javed Ahmad ghamidi jaise log Paida kare gi

Last edited by a moderator:

oscar

Minister (2k+ posts)
As I predicted earlier, if Malala gets well, a race will start between NGOs, to drag her around the globe to earn dollars.

her father may be told to seek Assylum in Canada.
He is already principal of NGO financed school.

Wadaich

As I predicted earlier, if Malala gets well, a race will start between NGOs, to drag her around the globe to earn dollars.

her father may be told to seek Assylum in Canada.
He is already principal of NGO financed school.

Attack on Malala may be result of NGO Vs NGO $s game?

such bolo

Re: "Why only condemn Malala and not victims of drones?" Dr. Taimur Rahman

Some people have been asking why there is so much outrage with respect to Malala and never the same outrage when children die in drone strikes. They argue that in both cases children are killed; hence, the outrage should be the same in both instances.

I think that most Pakistanis are opposed to drone strikes. I personally am also opposed to drone strikes. This is not because drones cause a lot of "collateral damage". In fact, of all the methods used against extremists, some studies show that drones cause the least "collateral damage". Military operations have frequently resulted in the deaths of many more people, not to mention the displacement of millions of people from their homes. The reason I oppose drones is because they are a violation of Pakistan's national sovereignty. A sovereignty that we struggled for and won after a century of struggle against colonial rule. US imperialism has everywhere been engaged in military campaigns of a neo-colonial nature that are threatening these gains of the peoples of the world. And drone strikes are merely a continuation of these aggressive neo-colonial ventures.

In my opinion the reason why Pakistani's have shown more outrage over Malala is because while drone strikes are aimed at alleged terrorists (but frequently cause the death and destruction of non-combatants including women and children), Malala was the deliberate target of the Taliban. She was the deliberate target of the Taliban because she spoke up for the right to education. In fact, the TTP indicated clearly that they would target her again if she survived. This deliberate targeting of a minor, considering a child of 14 years an enemy that deserves death, is utterly shocking for everyone because in all rules of war or all codes of humanity (whether we talk about religion or secular) the targeting of children is quite simply considered by the entire world as a heinous and unforgivable crime.

In conclusion, it is because of the Taliban's DELIBERATE targeting of a child for speaking up about education that people are outraged. And it clearly underscores that Pakistan must fight this menace of the Taliban, not on the terms of US interests, but on our own terms, for our own children, our own future, and our very survival as a democratic society.

ملالہ کے واقعہ سے ڈرونز کا حلالہ درست نہیں
ڈرونز حرام ہیں ... آپ خوامخوہ حلال کر رہے ہیں

یہ تحریر جن کی بھی ہے تضادات سے بھرپور ہے

طالبان کا ١٤ سال کی بچی کو باقاعدہ پروگرام کے تحت مارنا کس طرح زیادہ قابل مذمت ہوسکتا ہے امریکا کے ڈرونز سے مرنے والوں کی مذمت سے
ہاں یوں ہوسکتا ہے کہ ملالہ امریکا اور مغرب کی چہیتی تھی اور ڈرونز متاثرین بے یارومددگار

خود کو قبائلیوں کی جگہ رکھیں اور پھر بات کریں

loser24x7

I feel Malala is a media overkill right now. Everyone in the media is trying to outdo others by showing sypmathy with the poor kid and vouching for the cause of enlightenment in pakistan. I honestly feel sorry for the 14 years old girl. I really feel sad when I think about the psychological impact of this huge media glitz on this girl..From Water Kit car to this Malala incident we as a nation blow everything out of proportion. We have become a laughing stock in the comity of nations. Iss tarah to bandar bhi nahin kerte hon gai...
Now they are talking about Malala University and Malala airport and I don't know what else. Let us respect the privacy of this girl and let her be whatever she wants to be in the future. Don't deify her. As a nation we are inept to learn lessons. We named a stadium after an autocratic ruler who was wielding golden pistols and installing tents and milking camels wherever he went. We are even not ashamed of such mockeries of ouselves. Our heros turn villains overnight; rather, they were never heros from the very beginning. I want to point out the shameless behavior of this media and government when they totally forgot the other two victims of this shootout unless the poor families had to come out and tell that they have been targetd too and need to be take care of. How devastating and hypocritical!
ab aik rat race lagi hui hai..From Showbaz shareef to CJ Iftikhar to Army Chief to Marvi Memon to other jokers--sab ja rahai hain us bachi ki ayaadat ke liye..all political gimmickry! koi un katay phatay jismon waalai bachon ko dekhnai nahin gya (except Imran) jo drone attacks main be-maut maarai gai..yeh rizq-e-khaak-nasheenaan tha rizq-e-khaak hua..what a shame..May Allah guide us!

Sohraab

Re: "Why only condemn Malala and not victims of drones?" Dr. Taimur Rahman

ملالہ کے واقعہ سے ڈرونز کا حلالہ درست نہیں
ڈرونز حرام ہیں ... آپ خوامخوہ حلال کر رہے ہیں

یہ تحریر جن کی بھی ہے تضادات سے بھرپور ہے

طالبان کا ١٤ سال کی بچی کو باقاعدہ پروگرام کے تحت مارنا کس طرح زیادہ قابل مذمت ہوسکتا ہے امریکا کے ڈرونز سے مرنے والوں کی مذمت سے
ہاں یوں ہوسکتا ہے کہ ملالہ امریکا اور مغرب کی چہیتی تھی اور ڈرونز متاثرین بے یارومددگار

خود کو قبائلیوں کی جگہ رکھیں اور پھر بات کریں

Bohut Khoob (clap)

Rizwan2009

سفيد جھوٹ صرف اور صرف اسلامي نظام ہي اس ملک کو بحرانوں سے نکالے گا

atensari

(50k+ posts) بابائے فورم
antesari saheb

کہاں غائب تھے اتنے دنوں؟
بیگم نے قید کر لیا تھا کیا؟

:biggthumpup:

کھوج لگا رہا تھا آخر میڈونا کو ملاله کے بارے میں کیسے پتا چلا؟