Mistakes in declaration can’t be forgiven, SC told

RajaRawal111

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
maxresdefault.jpg

Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) leader Hanif Abbasi told the Supreme Court on Saturday that pleas based on mistakes, misapprehensions, bona fide intentions, a lack of mens rea or the absence of the intention to deceive could not be considered valid excuses in the light of the July 28 Panama Papers judgement.

In yet another rejoinder, moved through his counsel Mohammad Akram Sheikh, the PML-N leader — who is seeking the disqualification of Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf chief Imran Khan and secretary general Jahangir Tareen — told the court that it could inquire, examine or assess any matter it deemed relevant, since the case before the bench was of an inquisitorial nature.

The rejoinder came in response to the stance taken by Mr Khan in his revised concise statement, filed on Oct 14, that dishonesty would apply, for the purposes of disqualification, only if it could be proven that Mr Khan had received the proceeds of corruption.

The rejoinder was filed before the Supreme Court in response to earlier directions by a three-judge bench, headed by Chief Justice Mian Saqib Nisar.

“This is not an acceptable plea in view of the Panama Papers judgement,” the rejoinder contended, highlighting that former prime minister Nawaz Sharif was disqualified under Article 62(1)(f) of the Constitution only for not declaring his entitlement to a salary from his son’s company — Capital FZE — even though his Iqama (work permit) was not part of the pleadings in that case.

“There was no assertion whatsoever that the receipt of the salary meant receipt of corrupt[ion] money,” the rejoinder argued, recalling that the mere fact of not declaring an asset was held to be evidence of dishonesty justifying the ex-PM’s disqualification from the National Assembly.

Referring to another plea, adopted by Mr Khan in his amended statement — stating that declarations from old elections cannot become the basis for his de-seating in the wake of the 2013 polls — Mr Abbasi explained that this plea was not a correct legal position.

To substantiate, he cited a 2013 Supreme Court judgement in which a member of the National Assembly was declared not qualified for the elections held in the same year, although his declaration pertained to the elections held in 2008.
Similarly, Mr Khan’s defence that his failure to make correct declarations before the ECP was due to bona fide mistakes, lack of proper advice and that he had nothing to gain from not declaring the asset, was also not justified in the wake of the five-judge Supreme Court verdict in the Panama Papers case.

In that case, the matter was taken to be a case of strict liability, the rejoinder alleged, adding if non-declaration was committed, disqualification should follow.

Referring to the stance that Mr Khan had nothing to gain by not disclosing his utilisation of 100,000 pounds to authorities in Pakistan, was also not legally sustainable, the rejoinder said. In his nomination papers for the Mianwali seat in the 2002 elections, Mr Khan had declared the Draycott flats in London as his assets.

Once the London apartment was sold, the nature of this asset changed from immovable property to liquid assets but it continued to be his asset and had to be declared in the same manner as the flat was in the declarations for 2003.
There is no legal weight in the assertion that Mr Khan had nothing to gain by not disclosing the 100,000 pounds retained by Niazi Services Limited after the disbursement of part of the sale proceeds of his London property.

This is because, the rejoinder stated, the question currently being adjudicated by the Supreme Court pertained to his disqualification on account of false declarations and falling short of the criteria laid out in Article 62 of the Constitution. That criteria, Mr Abbasi contended, did not depend on whether the candidate in question gained anything as a result of the false declaration or not.

As the principle has been clearly enunciated by the Supreme Court in the case of Nawaz Sharif, non-declaration had been treated as a matter of strict liability. No excuses or explanations were sought or accepted in that case, the petitioner stated.

The petitioner also accused Khan of making false statements when he stated that following the sale of the London flats, Niazi Services became a dormant/shell company. But the statement of accounts attached with the revised concise statement showed that the funds continued to be routed through its accounts.

Published in Dawn, October 29th, 2017

Source

Last edited by a moderator:

RajaRawal111

چلو بئی مجوسیو یہ موقف ہے نیفے چرسی کا - اب اس کے خلاف طبع آزمائی کرو پر اس کو پڑھنا ضرور
کیوں کہ تم لوگوں کا ٩٠% ریوڑ بغیر سوچے سمجھے اور پڑھے شروع ہو جاتا ہے

RajaRawal111

??? ??? ????? ?? ???? ??? ?? ??? ??? ?? ??? ??? ?? ?? ???? ???? ??? ????

<font size="5"><span style="color:#ff0000;">

?? ???? ???? ?? ???
?? ??? ?? ???? ??
?? ???? ??
?? ???? ??

k.khurram

Councller (250+ posts)
plenty can be said but if IK is a thief , looted tax payer's money he should be punished BUT just cuz IK is what mentioned earlier nawaz should be spared cuz IK needs to be spared ? NO ..if they are both thieves , hang em both ! now that being said ... if you think an accident and an intended murder should be treated the same , kudos to you and your wisdom .
agar Ik ne is mulk ka koi bhi nuksaan kia hai tau keeray paray usko aur uske supporters ko ... ameen
agar shareefo ne kia hai tau keeray paray poori family ko aur inke supporters ko .. ab bol ameen ?

Galaxy

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Some one must take this drug seller Abassi to court to find out how much Effidrien quota he got and from that how much he sold to drug mafia.

RajaRawal111

Tujhey tumhari Maan ka wasta yar. Mujhey itni gundi gaaliyan naa diya karo. Mery pass bhi alfaaz hen kya men tumhari Maan ko gaaliyan nheen de sukta ???
Agar tumhen yaqeen he keh Tumhari Maan aik naik or pakbaz moazuz khatoon hen to ye alfaaz istmaal kurna please bund kur do. Agar nheen karo ge to men Samjoon gaa ke tumhen apney barey men koi shuk he. Phir men tumhari is nature to tumhari asliyt sumjhtey hoowey ignore karoon ga. Aor dobara request nheen karoon ga.

RajaRawal111

You may be angry with me because you were band because of abusing me. But let me assure you I never reported your abusive comment. Admin must have picked it up on their own or some one else reported it.

mh.saghir

Minister (2k+ posts)
??? ??? ?????? ?? ???? ?? ???? ???? ?? - ?? ?? ?? ???? ??? ?????? ??? ?? ?? ?? ????? ????
???? ?? ?? ????? ?? ??% ???? ???? ???? ????? ??? ???? ???? ?? ???? ??

??? ??? ????? ?? ???? ??? ?? ??? ??? ?? ??? ??? ?? ?? ???? ???? ??? ????

<font size="5"><span style="color:#ff0000;">

?? ???? ???? ?? ???
?? ??? ?? ???? ??
?? ???? ??
?? ???? ??

Tujhey tumhari Maan ka wasta yar. Mujhey itni gundi gaaliyan naa diya karo. Mery pass bhi alfaaz hen kya men tumhari Maan ko gaaliyan nheen de sukta ???
Agar tumhen yaqeen he keh Tumhari Maan aik naik or pakbaz moazuz khatoon hen to ye alfaaz istmaal kurna please bund kur do. Agar nheen karo ge to men Samjoon gaa ke tumhen apney barey men koi shuk he. Phir men tumhari is nature to tumhari asliyt sumjhtey hoowey ignore karoon ga. Aor dobara request nheen karoon ga.

the way you talk is not the very pleasant one. posting a thread and then naming your opponents, what exactly is your motive?
This case is in court, the nature of the two cases is entirely different but if you are insisted on making them same then it's your understanding. Since the case is in court, you can't make judgments by yourself. I don't know why they are dragging this case, started from Banni Gala and now reaching to Jamaima's bank transfers; the way I see it this whole story is based on the narrative of what Hanif Abbasi said in the court, what remarks Judges gave and what was argued by the other party, all is missing. just because it coincides with what your political stance doesn't mean it deserves a response. So, better keep waiting for court's final decision and then you can start political scoring.

RajaRawal111

Ultimately you all will start talking patwaris do. They also say let the NAB courts decide and then do the point scoring. but I guess the rules of game are different for the PTI gang. Now you want all to just shut up and not speak a single word because it exposes the "jhoot of IK which he was speaking in courts".

Now let me explain why you came to this point and why I was so furious. I was very much aware what i am going to see in this thread what Nawaja lohar did. That is why i requested everyone to read it before mincing me up. Looks like you read it. -- Thankyou.
Yes you are right this is whole Neefa chursi narrative. But court asked neefa chursi to give his opinion on IKs request when he said he suffers from dementia, as he totally forgot this very active euro account. IK asked court to retrieve his previous stance and the documents he submitted earlier which were wrapped in Jamaimas famous tweet. On whcih a toofaan came on mainstream media (if you still remember).

Bhra jee the nutshell is that whether two cases are different or not "the courts bent the system to disqualify NS in haste and now they have to deal with this bent system. All neefa chursi is saying them to stick with this bent system. And if they decide on this bent system the ditch for IK is quite visible. But if they straighten it up now to get the just decision for IK than they will have to answer the funny question of "mujhe Kyoon nikala"

Personally the Rajarawal wants the system to be straightened and let the justified decision for IK to come out. I will never like IK to be disqualified like this. He is too too valuable for this country. And I am saying it from the deepest part of my heart. And I request you to beleive me in this.

the way you talk is not the very pleasant one. posting a thread and then naming your opponents, what exactly is your motive?
This case is in court, the nature of the two cases is entirely different but if you are insisted on making them same then it's your understanding. Since the case is in court, you can't make judgments by yourself. I don't know why they are dragging this case, started from Banni Gala and now reaching to Jamaima's bank transfers; the way I see it this whole story is based on the narrative of what Hanif Abbasi said in the court, what remarks Judges gave and what was argued by the other party, all is missing. just because it coincides with what your political stance doesn't mean it deserves a response. So, better keep waiting for court's final decision and then you can start political scoring.