Pakistan plan IPL equivalent

mohib

Senator (1k+ posts)
Pakistan's players have not been a part of the IPL since its inaugural season, but the PCB has plans to launch their own equivalent of the Twenty20 tournament, though they have admitted it will not be possible to host it in Pakistan. Instead, they want to host the tournament in Dubai, where Pakistan have played one-day internationals against Australia and South Africa, and the latter in a Test match.

Sultan Rana, the chief of PCB's domestic cricket department, told Pakpassion.net the plans had been in the pipeline for the last two years but the board had to delay it because of the attack on Sri Lanka's cricketers during their tour of Pakistan in March 2009.

"We first considered the idea a couple of years ago," he said. "The documents were complete and we were all set to go, but the attack on the Sri Lankan team meant that we had to shelve all of our plans at that time

"I recently went to Sri Lanka during the World Cup and spoke to many other countries' board representatives, but apart from Sri Lanka they are reluctant to send their players to Pakistan. So, that presents a problem for us. We simply cannot host the tournament in Pakistan if we want to attract the top players."

The IPL was also hosted abroad in its second season, when the tournament was shifted to South Africa after security concerns arising from the Mumbai attacks in December 2008 meant it could not be staged in India. Rana was confident Pakistan's board could do something similar.

"What we are trying to do is to organise a competition in Dubai. This idea was discussed in the past and has very much been in our plans and is still on the table. I'm sure we (PCB) can organise this tournament, which will run along the lines of the Indian Premier League."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan/content/current/story/510810.html

shkashif

Voter (50+ posts)
I it was better to plan it in Pakistan instead of Dubai. We need to bring cricket back in Pakistan not promote Dubai as a cricket hub.

Young

Senator (1k+ posts)
Pakistan plan IPL equivalent... Here we come..... YES

Pakistan news

Pakistan plan IPL equivalent

ESPNcricinfo staff
April 12, 2011
Comments: 126 | Login via | Text size: A | A

127344.2.jpg

Rana Naved-ul-Hasan played in the KFC Big Bash in Australia, but Pakistan's players have largely missed out on the Twenty20 millions Getty Images
Enlarge

Related Links
Teams: Pakistan

Pakistan's players have not been a part of the IPL since its inaugural season, but the PCB has plans to launch their own equivalent of the Twenty20 tournament, though they have admitted it will not be possible to host it in Pakistan. Instead, they want to host the tournament in Dubai, where Pakistan have played one-day internationals against Australia and South Africa, and the latter in a Test match.

Sultan Rana, the chief of PCB's domestic cricket department, told Pakpassion.net the plans had been in the pipeline for the last two years but the board had to delay it because of the attack on Sri Lanka's cricketers during their tour of Pakistan in March 2009.

"We first considered the idea a couple of years ago," he said. "The documents were complete and we were all set to go, but the attack on the Sri Lankan team meant that we had to shelve all of our plans at that time

"I recently went to Sri Lanka during the World Cup and spoke to many other countries' board representatives, but apart from Sri Lanka they are reluctant to send their players to Pakistan. So, that presents a problem for us. We simply cannot host the tournament in Pakistan if we want to attract the top players."

The IPL was also hosted abroad in its second season, when the tournament was shifted to South Africa after security concerns arising from the Mumbai attacks in December 2008 meant it could not be staged in India. Rana was confident Pakistan's board could do something similar.

"What we are trying to do is to organise a competition in Dubai. This idea was discussed in the past and has very much been in our plans and is still on the table. I'm sure we (PCB) can organise this tournament, which will run along the lines of the Indian Premier League."

Pakistani92

Senator (1k+ posts)
Re: Pakistan plan IPL equivalent... Here we come..... YES

I think these kind of tournaments are also good for those players who never get to the international cricket, there is no concept of social welfare in countries like Pakistan and India so as a result hundreds of cricketers live in misery who can not make it to the international level......

Nice2MU

President (40k+ posts)

This is an old plane from the time of Naseem Ashraf (Ex PCB chairman) but due to some known reasons, it couldn't be practiced in real sense.

sayeenwada

Councller (250+ posts)

This is what I am talking about....forget about he bollywood IPL...

GeoG

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)

Big question mark if this will work

Don't expect Expats in Dubai, a few in numbers to come and watch games every day, unless there is no entrance fee.

adnan_swati

Senator (1k+ posts)

i dont think IPL will be a success in pakistan .india has all that is needed for something like IPL.
yahan tou koi match kheelnay nahi aata IPL kya ho gi

gazoomartian

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)

seems like some one is listening to my suggestions. I suggested last year that we should have our own leagues, and spread over over all Muslim countries..... may it occur soon Ameen

riverblue

MPA (400+ posts)
pakistan ka ipl koi nahi daikhnay aey ga... na hi khelnay.... it will be sans all the glamor and bollywood masala.... kaun lift karaey ga? better spend time and that money on grooming our players