Pakistan signals willingness to negotiate with the Taliban

A

Admin

By Bill RoggioDecember 13, 2009 11:27 AM

Senior Pakistani leaders have signaled a willingness to conduct talks with the Taliban, and on the same day the prime minister announced that military operations may be considered in a Taliban-controlled tribal agency.

Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani said the government will talk to the Taliban before it considers launching an operation in the Arakzai tribal agency, while Interior Minister Rehman Malik said he would discuss Taliban offers with political parties that are sympathetic to or support the Taliban.

Gilani indicated that negotiations are on the table and that the government would consider discussing proposals made by Imran Khan, the leader of the Tehrik-i-Insaaf, and the pro-Taliban Jamaat-e-Islami.

"We will first try to convince elements in Arakzai to accept a peaceful resolution," Gilani said, according to Dawn.

Gilani made the statement after he said that the military operation "has finished in South Waziristan, now there is a discussion of taking it to Arakzai agency." Gilani later withdrew his remarks about the South Waziristan operation being completed, and claimed his statement was taken out of context.

Interior Minister Rehman Malik also said the government would consider the proposals made by the Tehrik-i-Insaaf and the Jamaat-e-Islami after he claimed that Hakeemullah Mehsud, the leader of the Movement of the Taliban in Pakistan, had approached the government four times to offer peace talks. Malik said the government rejected the talks and maintained that negotiations could take place only after a Taliban surrender, Daily Times reported. Malik said "the Taliban initiative was a good omen" and he had approached clerics to consider the peace offers.

In the past, the Pakistani government has negotiated with the Taliban under the guise of intermediaries. These arrangements have allowed the government to deny it directly negotiates with the Taliban. The peace agreements in Swat were negotiated with the pro-Taliban front group Tehrik-e-Nifaz-e-Shariat-e-Mohammed [TNSM, or the Movement for the Enforcement of Mohammed's Law]. Similarly, a multitude of peace agreements in North and South Waziristan were negotiated with "tribal elders."

Small-scale operations against the Taliban and allied groups are currently underway by the paramilitary Frontier Corps in the tribal agencies of Arakzai, Khyber, and Kurram. Senior Taliban leaders and fighters under the command of Hakeemullah Mehsud have decamped from South Waziristan to these regions, as well as in North Waziristan, to avoid the current operation.

The military and the government have signaled they are unwilling to enter North Waziristan, where the Haqqani Network and Hafiz Gul Bahadar maintain control, and the western areas of South Waziristan under the control of Mullah Nazir. These three Taliban groups all shelter al Qaeda and a host of Pakistani jihadi groups conducting attacks against Pakistan as well as in Afghanistan.

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/ ... z0ZejS90Bq

A

Admin

Govt denied Hakeemullahs talks offer: Malik

Daily Times Monitor

LAHORE: The government has rejected at least four offers for dialogue by Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan chief Hakeemullah Mehsud, Interior Minister Rehman Malik claimed on Saturday, adding that there would be no talks with the Taliban until their complete surrender.

In an interview with a private TV channel, Malik said the Taliban initiative was a good omen and he had contacted clerics to discuss the Taliban offer.

Malik said he had asked clerics to meet the Taliban to inform them that dialogue could only be initiated after the militia surrendered. The interior minister said the Taliban made the offer through a political figure of the NFWP and a former lawmaker from Dir. He said he would soon meet Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaaf Chairman Imran Khan and Jamaat-e-Islami chief Munawwar Hasan to seek their opinion on the war on terror.

contra

Senator (1k+ posts)
1. I don't understand, how can the Pak government negotiate with these animals?

2. These people have specifically targeted your civilians, hundreds of women and children have been killed by the Taliban.

3. I have heard Mr. Imran Khan say on several occasions that America, NATO and Afghan government are talking with the Taliban in Afghanistan, and so there is nothing wrong with having a dialogue with the Taliban in Pakistan...

This is flawed way of looking at things.
Al Qaeda killed about 3000 American civilians...Did America negotiate with them? NO!!!

Negotiations are on in Afghanistan with the Taliban, who are waging a guerrilla war, Taliban target the NATO forces.
Nobody ever negotiated with or will, with the Al Qaeda...because they are terrorists who specifically target civilians.

I hope Mr. IK gets the difference...

lahori

Senator (1k+ posts)
1. I don't understand, how can the Pak government negotiate with these animals?

2. These people have specifically targeted your civilians, hundreds of women and children have been killed by the Taliban.

Hello Contra,

This is exactly what india wants. Keep killing so eventually there is a civil war in Pakistan.

99% people killed by drones are innocent civilians(THIS IS AN AMERICAN REPORT). There were only 5,000 outsiders or Talibans in that region but american drones and Pakistani army's killing of innocent civilians forcing tribal people to join those outside forces.

There was no suicide bombing in Pakistan, until USA started throwing drones and Pakistani army started killing their own people. Today If we stop killing our own people, the same day suicide bombing will stop. There are quite a few freedom movements in india. You will see the samething happening If you start using gun ship helicopters on those people.

So who are those suicide bombers?

Now, let's say I live in Tribal Areas and I have nothing to do with Al-Qaedia and Talibans. A drone was thrown at my house and that kills my whole family, that includeds my 3 children aged 2, 3 and 5 respectively. Also my wife, my sister and my parents get killed(god forbids). Basically that wipes out my whole family and I am the only survivor.

Now put yourself in that position and tell me how woud you react? (Mutahida, please reply).

This is what creating terrorism in Pakistan. If you have gone through all that, you would be angry and enemies of pakistan would take advantage of you and brain wash you to make you a suicide bomber.

Those suicide bombers aren't thinking that they are doing something wrong. All they have in their mind is revenge.

Paki_Loyal

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
Pakistani govt ko her haal main TTP se baat kerni chahiay, aur apnay fesley khud lene chahiay, mujhey umeed hai k koi na koi hal zaroor nikal aaey ga. magar iss k saath saath hamein in tmaam triable areas main army ke postein bnani chahiein, apni force ko waha hameshan k liay rekhna chahiay, ta k hameshan k liay pakistani forces ka in triable areas main control reh sakay.i strongly beileve k ham her aik TTP terrorist ko nahi maar saktay kiun k wo poorey pakistan main phail chukay hooway hein, agar baat cheat se wo hithyar phaink dein aur peacefully iss maslay ka hal tlaash ker lein to iss main pakistan ka he faida hai, agar kal ka bhoola gher lout aaey to ussey bhoola nahi kehte,,
aur agar laato k bhoot bato se nahi mantay to hamein zaroor sakht se sakht operation kerna chahiay, ye jaha bhe majood hein.

Contra ye aap ke hamdirdi hai ya pakistani forces aur pakistani awaam k saath dushmani,

Allah Pakistan ko qaiem o daiem rekhey Ameen,,,

contra

Senator (1k+ posts)
lahori bhai :),

1. If 99% who die in drone attacks are innocent, then the blame lies squarely on the shoulders of the Taliban and Al Qaeda. Why are they among innocent women and children, when they know that they are a target?

2. The people of Tribal areas give shelter to these terrorists, are they not aware of the consequences?
Are they providing shelter to these people under threat and coercion or are they doing this willingly?

3. If they are threatened by Taliban/Al Qaeda into helping them, then blame the Taliban for the death of those innocent people, not America.

On the other hand, if shelter etc. is provided to these terrorists willingly, then again, the elders of those areas along with the Taliban need to be blamed, because they are deliberately putting the lives of their people in danger.

4. America is a foreign power, it doesn't care about the people of this region. Americans just want to get the job done, they want to protect American citizens and civilians, who are thousands of miles away.
The reason America is engaged in this war of liberation of Afghanistan is because attacks on American civilians were planned from Afghanistan, and are still being planned from Af-Pak region.

5. America wants to protect its citizens, America cares for its nationals...
but,
Can we say the same about the Taliban? NO!!!
Taliban deliberately put the lives of their innocent women and children in danger.

6. Pakistan should look towards a progressive country, the role model for every developing country should be US and Europe.
Unfortunately, some people in your country consider the Taliban as their role model. I sincerely hope you are not one of them...

If you fight an enemy that is 100 times stronger than you, then you should be ready to pay a very heavy price.

Vietnam defeated America, the price was over 2 million Vietnamese dead.
You decide...

usman6062

MPA (400+ posts)
@Contra...

i want to ask contra...are you muslim? i just seen your signature text that is
"Religion was made by us humans, for our convenience. Religion needs to change and adapt to our needs, not the other way round."

i dont believe after reading this statement that you are muslim because you are saying we should also do same thing with the religion which other Ummahs has done. and we will face the same consequences which had been faced by them??

Who ever you are, i think you should be careful when you write something coz you can live life here with less resources and wealth but what you will do at hereafter? the eternal life???

taul

Siasat.pk - Blogger
contra said:
If you fight an enemy that is 100 times stronger than you, then you should be ready to pay a very heavy price.

Vietnam defeated America, the price was over 2 million Vietnamese dead.
You decide...

---An enemy stronger isn't a guideline for victory as you probably witnessed some 20 years back :ugeek: ..All that giltters is not gold 8-) ..Standing boldly,Justly and gallantly against an Occupier is the real sign of courage and this would NOT be let down by any such ridiculous assumptions you tend to follow..History records the victorious and what more of a fleet who fight for the Truth. :ugeek:

. If 99% who die in drone attacks are innocent, then the blame lies squarely on the shoulders of the Taliban and Al Qaeda. Why are they among innocent women and children, when they know that they are a target?

---Insanity/Incompetence does NOT need any limits,this is what you just wrote!!As per american stats they pursue ratio of 30:1 ( 30 civilians to one who ever they like to call target on mere assumptions and not to forget cooked up baloney they live up to all the time) now that's messed up and people supporting it like you apart from showing their bigotry and prejudice against muslims are deranged and cycloplegic for not being able to comprehend the situation..

--All these demonic crimes and strings of attacks on civilians at market places is yet another hideous attempt by enemies ( americans and their cronies including retard indians) to turn the tide against them and especially in Pakistan to make us pay for NOT fighting along side these rats in Afghanistan :evil:

--You need to be clear taliban and mujahid is almost anyone and everyone who is fighting these dirty Occupiers who sabotaged Iraq on completely false and pathetic report and are following the same evil agenda in Pakistan and Afghanistan :evil:

--You need to present evidence in a court of law to convict anyone and none was ever presented but only baloneys and only wild wild west has been played so far by these americans....How boldly and disgusting these satanically driven morons lie and then shamelessly defend just like tony blair who so shamelessly said,"saddam still had to be removed ,but other reasons had to be made (in other words concocted).

--Pakistan Army should have long before foreseen this trap and simply refused to be part of such a demonic ring and had any of these filthy americans attacked our soil,Pakistan army should've retaliated with full force as simple as that.

Zaidi Qasim

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
Contra:

Would India allow Americans drones to attack the rebellions who are fighting against Indian Army ? You know that some in the local population give shelter to these fighter . You think Americans or any other nation has a right to go in to Indian Airspace and attacks those rebellion and you think you can question the local population if they ever come under foreign attacks.

No one has a right to violate the airspace of another country and attack the local population on the name of protectiong its own civilians.It is against the international laws. Only morons in Pakistan , that I have seen allow this to happens to their own county and are helpless to do anything except virbally condemed it.

I hope rational talk will win the day for you.Not another excuse like the one Tony Blair is trying to pass.

ConcernedPakistani

MPA (400+ posts)
Mr. Contra you worry about killing and raping Sikhs, Dalits, Christians, Muslims, Untouchables and keep urself busy there.

The supply lines of the people conducting attacks is from Indian consulates in Afghanistan.

There were NONE of these problems in Pakistan before US came in this region.

Pakistanis know who to talk with and who is behind all this mess