Please answer this question!

sangeen

Minister (2k+ posts)
please someone guide me about an islamic question:

agar kisi shakhs ne SADQA dena ho to kia wo apne parents ya uncle, auntie ko de sakta hae???? ya kisis aur qaribi aziz ko?? provided that they need it seriously..

If some brother have a quick access to an alim aur mufti and can ask this question on my behalf, i'll appreciate it.... thanks.

gazoomartian

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
sangeen said:
please someone guide me about an islamic question:

agar kisi shakhs ne SADQA dena ho to kia wo apne parents ya uncle, auntie ko de sakta hae???? ya kisis aur qaribi aziz ko?? provided that they need it seriously..

If some brother have a quick access to an alim aur mufti and can ask this question on my behalf, i'll appreciate it.... thanks.

zakat and sadaqat are haram on parents, their parents, and their parents.... on both sides--- mian and bivi

similarly, haram on children, their children, their children.... etc

Zakat and sadaqat are ja-iz on brother, sisters, cousins, their spouses etc.

just FYI, zakat is also haram on masajids, or any other organisations. There must be a recipient for zakat. For example, you can pay sadaqah to Edhi but zakat to your cousin, brother, sisters or neighbors.....just thought I add that

I hope that helped

Star Gazer

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Just for clarification since the point has been brought up;
Wife can give zakat to husband if she is richer than him but husbad can not give zakat to his wife.
Sadka should be used first for people who are near you but not your direct responsibility e.g aunt,uncle, cousins,niece,nephew and then any one else even the non-muslims can be benefited by this.

gazoomartian

Star Gazer said:
Just for clarification since the point has been brought up;
Wife can give zakat to husband if she is richer than him but husbad can not give zakat to his wife.
Sadka should be used first for people who are near you but not your direct responsibility e.g aunt,uncle, cousins,niece,nephew and then any one else even the non-muslims can be benefited by this.

This sentence is confusing. Can you please separate it. 'e.g. aunt, uncle, cousins....' is supposed to match with the first clause or clause after 'but not on your direct responsibility.....?

Sadaqat and zakat are ja-iz on brother/sisters/their spouses/cousins

zil qurba wal yetama wa qulu linnas-e-husna (baqarah)

'zil qurba' mein sub agayey jaisey bhai/sis/cousins. But not parents of either side

Star Gazer

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
You are right zakat is different and has been defined explicitly. Plus zakat is supposed to be collected by the state,(but the person who gives zakat I think can give preference for his desire where he wants it used,although I am not sure). this is the reason that some scholars argue that the tax paid to the govt. can be used for zakat calculations. moreover zakat can not be used for Sayyeds,parents,wife,children and some other entities like masjid as you mentioned earlier. Moreover one individual can not be given zakat equal to the amount which makes him owner of an amount on which zakat becomes wajib.

Afsr

MPA (400+ posts)
Whom should we give Sadqah? Can a person give Sadqah's money to the parents?

1)Whom should we give Sadqah? 2)Can a person give Sadqah's money to the parents? Speciallay if they are in needs, and a person have only Sadqah's money. 3)Can a person use Sadqah's money to build a house for parents', if their parents don't have a house of their own? 4) Can Sadqah's money be used to build a Madrasa? 5) How should we use Sadqah's money on behalf of dead parents or relatives? 6) If person owe a dead person some money how should he repay it?

1. The word ?Sadaqah literally means to be truthful. Rasulullah [sallallaahu alayhi wasallam] said, ?As sadaqatu burhaanun? (To give sadaqah is a testimony of a person?s faith and belief). In English, Sadaqah is generally understood as a voluntary contribution or in other terms as Lillah (for the pleasure of Allah). If this is what you mean by sadaqah, a voluntary contribution, then this may be given to anyone including one?s parents. In fact, there will be more reward in giving sadaqah to one?s parents. The reward will also be more. Sadaqah money may be used to build the parent?s house or even build a Madrasah. The intention of giving sadaqah to anyone may also be on behalf of the deceased and to give them the reward of the sadaqah. However, if by Sadaqah, Zakaat is meant, then the laws of Zakaat will apply. It is not permissible to give Zakat to one?s parents.

2. If a person owed a deceased person money, the amount now belongs to the heirs of the deceased. The heirs should be contacted and given the money.

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Mufti Ebrahim Desai

Can i give my granny (mother's mother)my zakaat money or can i assist her in paying some of her accounts with my zakaat money? If not why?

Zakaat monies cannot be given to ones?s grandmother. (Shaami vol.2)

Mufti Ebrahim Desai

Can sadqah be given to brothers,sisters,parents ?

1. It is permissible to give optional Sadaqah to your brothers, sister and parents. In fact, it is more rewarding to give the Sadaqah to them.

Mufti Ebrahim Desai

Can I pay my Zakat money to a poor relative to use for her first Hajj?

Zakaat given to a poor and needy relative who is eligible to accept Zakaat is valid. The relative may do whatever he/she wish to with the Zakaat monies. However, to use Zakaat monies for Hajj which is expensive is not advisable.

Mufti Ebrahim Desai

gazoomartian

Afsr said:
Whom should we give Sadqah? Can a person give Sadqah's money to the parents?

1)Whom should we give Sadqah? 2)Can a person give Sadqah's money to the parents? Speciallay if they are in needs, and a person have only Sadqah's money. 3)Can a person use Sadqah's money to build a house for parents', if their parents don't have a house of their own? 4) Can Sadqah's money be used to build a Madrasa? 5) How should we use Sadqah's money on behalf of dead parents or relatives? 6) If person owe a dead person some money how should he repay it?

1. The word ?Sadaqah literally means to be truthful. Rasulullah [sallallaahu alayhi wasallam] said, ?As sadaqatu burhaanun? (To give sadaqah is a testimony of a person?s faith and belief). In English, Sadaqah is generally understood as a voluntary contribution or in other terms as Lillah (for the pleasure of Allah). If this is what you mean by sadaqah, a voluntary contribution, then this may be given to anyone including one?s parents. In fact, there will be more reward in giving sadaqah to one?s parents. The reward will also be more. Sadaqah money may be used to build the parent?s house or even build a Madrasah. The intention of giving sadaqah to anyone may also be on behalf of the deceased and to give them the reward of the sadaqah. However, if by Sadaqah, Zakaat is meant, then the laws of Zakaat will apply. It is not permissible to give Zakat to one?s parents.

2. If a person owed a deceased person money, the amount now belongs to the heirs of the deceased. The heirs should be contacted and given the money.

Mufti Ebrahim Desai

Can i give my granny (mother's mother)my zakaat money or can i assist her in paying some of her accounts with my zakaat money? If not why?

Zakaat monies cannot be given to ones?s grandmother. (Shaami vol.2)

Mufti Ebrahim Desai

Can sadqah be given to brothers,sisters,parents ?

1. It is permissible to give optional Sadaqah to your brothers, sister and parents. In fact, it is more rewarding to give the Sadaqah to them.

Mufti Ebrahim Desai

Can I pay my Zakat money to a poor relative to use for her first Hajj?

Zakaat given to a poor and needy relative who is eligible to accept Zakaat is valid. The relative may do whatever he/she wish to with the Zakaat monies. However, to use Zakaat monies for Hajj which is expensive is not advisable.

Mufti Ebrahim Desai

thanks afsr, very good. directly from a reliable source. Much appreciated

sangeen

Minister (2k+ posts)
@afsr: Thats what i needed, thanks bro.

So in the light of your comments, I can give Sadaqah money to my parents, brothers, sisters, and all other relatives.

Actually my question was explicitly about Sadaqah NOT Zakat. Thanks for your concern.