The battle of the sexes !!!

canadian

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
The battle of the sexes

By Amber Darr
Published: March 15, 2011

Amber-Darr-New-132942-640x480.jpg

The writer is a partner at ABS & Co and a graduate of Bryn Mawr College and Lincolns Inn
Nobody will ever win the Battle of the Sexes. Theres just too much fraternising with the enemy Henry Kissinger, former US Secretary of State
On March 10, Jam Tamachi Unar, member Sindh Assembly, ostensibly in reaction to the assembly forming a committee to investigate violence against women in rural Sindh, asked it to also consider forming a committee to look into women mentally torturing men in the urban areas! MPA Unars remarks created an uproar: Whilst the assembly hall resonated with women MPAs crying shame and walking out of the session in protest, newspapers reporting the incident deplored the MPAs flippancy and cited attitudes such as his as the very factor holding women back on the path of their progress.
I was intrigued by these reports and wondered if MPA Unar was merely being flippant, or if he was expressing a deep-rooted fear and mistrust of women that a large number of men, particularly in Pakistani society, appear to harbour against women. To gauge how others felt in this regard, I discussed the episode with some of my male lawyer colleagues. Surprisingly, a number of them seemed to agree with MPA Unar and recounted instances in which, according to them, women, rather than men, were the perpetrators of physical and mental abuse, sometimes even publicly. One of them even went to the extent of saying that women in Pakistan were not nearly as deprived as it was made out to be, and if some suffered more than others it was only due to their own timidity.
Perhaps there are psychological reasons for this dismissive attitude towards women, but I am neither equipped nor competent to explore it. However, I do understand that as long as men and women continue to view each other as enemies to be confronted, attacked and ultimately defeated, there is no real hope for progress. Men, as heads of state and ministers, as leaders of religious institutions and custodians of religious learning, as judges and heads of army, as village heads and, particularly, as husbands, fathers and brothers wield enormous, and at times absolute, power over almost all aspects of a womans life. It is imperative, therefore, that women be able to engage men in a dialogue regarding their perceptions of women and their role in society, not only in a public forum but also in the privacy of their personal lives
Two things are necessary for such a dialogue to take place: A womans knowledge of her own rights and her ability to communicate in an atmosphere of amity, understanding and, dare I say, equality, rather than one of hostility, resentment and submission. Whilst the former targets women only and is therefore more achievable, the latter will remain elusive unless men come to realise the ways in which a strong, capable woman can enrich, not only the society, but also their families and their lives. A significant portion of the time spent in engaging men in any meaningful dialogue would have to be devoted to addressing notions of masculinity so that, instead of identifying with the traditionally-held belief of masculinity as dominance and control, men come to realise their worth in being responsible and caring, and creating an enabling, rather than protective, environment for the women around them.
In our troubled Third World society, the Pakistani man, as much as the woman, finds himself plagued by the dual evils of lack of economic opportunity and a system based on patronage and corruption. Not finding an outlet for a positive expression of his manhood through achievement and progress, such a man gravitates towards the lowest common denominator and asserts power over women the only part of the population he feels he can control. A dialogue that does not take into account this factor will be doomed to fail. Therefore, the next time when an MPA or anyone else makes a flippant remark regarding women, rather than vilifying him we may consider engaging him in a spirit of understanding, compassion and trust. Whilst the change in attitude may not take place overnight, such an attempt would mark a step in the direction of a future where men support the rights of women, not out of charity and largesse, but conviction and belief.
Published in The Express Tribune, March 16th, 2011.(http://tribune.com.pk/story/132942/the-battle-of-the-sexes/)

Star Gazer

It is not far from truth. It is my experience and belief that women in Pakistan are deprived but they more than make up for it by dissipating the unfairness they meet over the years to the next generation. They do this by perpetrating Zulam on other women folk in the form of Saas, nand, bahoo and even wives and daughters and to alarm as mothers also.
This does not give a clean chit to the men because they are so weak and limp infront of one or the other female relation in their lives and can not say what needs to be said. The men are hiding behind the women folk, unable to take the responsibility of being the leader Allah has given them the power to be. The men are ignorent in the ways of Deen and thus unable to make just decisions. They hide behind tradition and relationship whereas Islam does not hold on to tradition but only to truth and fairness. This is the main reason for the battle in Pakistan atleast in my view. Ofcourse I understand their are many who can do what they should be doing.
I know this will touch many a raw nerves but this is the truth in my opinion, if I am not right please prove to me by argument and not by cursing and calling names, I will go on to hold my view unless convinced otherwise. Cursing and calling me any name will not do zilch for any one or to me.
Jazakallah.

canadian

It is not far from truth. It is my experience and belief that women in Pakistan are deprived but they more than make up for it by dissipating the unfairness they meet over the years to the next generation. They do this by perpetrating Zulam on other women folk in the form of Saas, nand, bahoo and even wives and daughters and to alarm as mothers also.
This does not give a clean chit to the men because they are so weak and limp infront of one or the other female relation in their lives and can not say what needs to be said. The men are hiding behind the women folk, unable to take the responsibility of being the leader Allah has given them the power to be. The men are ignorent in the ways of Deen and thus unable to make just decisions. They hide behind tradition and relationship whereas Islam does not hold on to tradition but only to truth and fairness. This is the main reason for the battle in Pakistan atleast in my view. Ofcourse I understand their are many who can do what they should be doing.
I know this will touch many a raw nerves but this is the truth in my opinion, if I am not right please prove to me by argument and not by cursing and calling names, I will go on to hold my view unless convinced otherwise. Cursing and calling me any name will not do zilch for any one or to me.
Jazakallah.

Thanks.Very thought provoking !!!