Was "Calibri" font really available before Feb 2006? A Critical Review!

imfaisal

Citizen
The "Calibri" font really become popular in Pakistan when JIT on Panamagate scandal recently declared the documents submitted by Hassan Nawaz and Maryam Safdar to be forged/fake and has concluded that Maryam Safdar is the beneficial owner of the Avenfield (Park lane) apartments. It all happened because of Microsoft's "Calibri" font.

The team stated in their report that the font used in the document was Calibri whereas this font was not available before 31st January, for the general public. Surprisingly, the documents submitted by Maryam Safdar were dating back to February 2006.

Now, many people are debating whether the font in dispute was available before January 2007, whereas, the real question should be if it was POSSIBLE or at all LIKELY to be used before Feb 2006? In my review below, I'll try to answer this question with references.

“INSIDE” MICROSOFT ECOSYSTEM:

In case of “Microsoft Office 2007”:

- Microsoft Office 2007, Beta-1 was released on November 16, 2005, it was a "closed beta" sent only to "small number of testers", thus it was not available for “general public”.

- Microsoft Office 2007, Beta-2 was announced by Bill Gate at WinHEC 2006, and was initially released to the public on 23rd May, 2006.

Microsoft Office 2007 - Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Office_2007#Development

Thus, It is HIGHLY UNLIKELY in case of “Beta-1” (legal firm not likely to be among small number of beta testers) and IMPOSSIBLE in case of “Beta-2” (May 2006 is after Feb 2006, the date legal document was signed) that a law firm used “Calibri” font to compose a legal document.

———-

In case of “Windows Vista”:

- Windows Vista, Beta-1 was released on July 27, 2005, it was also a “closed beta” and released only to "small number of testers".

- Windows Vista, Beta-2, released inJune 6, 2006, was the first beta build to be made available to the “general public”.

Development of Windows Vista - Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_Windows_Vista#Beta_1

The conclusion is same as in “Microsoft Office 2007” section. It is HIGHLY UNLIKELY in case if “Beta-1” and IMPOSSIBLE in case of “Beta-2”.

———-

Important Note:

Here I’m assuming that “Calibri” font was included in early closed “Beta-1″ releases of both “Microsoft Vista (Longhorn)” and “Microsoft Office 2007”. As it is not confirmed yet. The designer of the font “Lucas” also stated his concern about this:

I believe the
first betas of Longhorn did NOT include the ClearType fonts. (full quotation below)

If it proved to be the case, It would be IMPOSSIBLE instead of HIGHLY UNLIKELY in all the cases above.

Further, I’m only discussing release dates of Microsoft products in beta format. The “Calibri” font was first officially released by Microsoft (within its products) on January 30, 2007.

“OUTSIDE” MICROSOFT ECOSYSTEM:

The font was never officially released for the general public as a stand-alone font(s) package “outside” Microsoft ecosystem (before January 2007). Which means this font was released ONLY as part of some operating system or word processor before. I’ve got this confirmation from “LucasFonts” themselves.

This also means, if anyone offered “Calibri” font outside Microsoft ecosystem (which was illegal), it was taken out from early Microsoft beta releases.

Now, although this was EXTREMELY UNLIKELY but POSSIBLE (provided font was included in early closed “Beta-1”) that someone got this font from someone who was among a few Windows Vista early beta-testers, installed the font in their system, and then selected this font specifically in the word processor for drafting a legal document.

But if the authenticity of the said document is already in dispute (through some other objections), in my opinion, It would be reasonable to conclude that document is forged.

That is why the “Calibri” font designer himself suspects the authenticity of document in subject:

http://www.valuewalk.com/2017/07/calibri-font-jit-panama-case-nawaz-sharif/

We do not know exact release dates, such early Windows betas are intended for programmers and technology freaks to see what works and what doesn’t. As the file size of such operating systems is huge, it would have been a serious effort to get. I believe the first betas of Longhorn did not include the ClearType fonts, but as this was all released by Microsoft, I do not know any exact release dates.
As far as I know, the first public beta versions of Calibri were published in 2006. We don´t know the exact date for this public release date. It is extremely unlikely that somebody would copy fonts from a beta environment to use in official documents.

Office 2007 was the first product officially using Calibri on a large scale. It was made available to volume license customers (resellers) on November 30, 2006, and later to retail on January 30, 2007, the same respective release dates of Windows Vista.
He summed it all up by adding:

“So in theory it would have been possible to make a document with Calibri in 2006. However:
* It should have been taken from a beta operating system, from the hands of computer nerds.
* Why would anyone use a completely unknown font for an official document in 2006?
* If the person using Calibri was such a font lover that he or she HAD to use the new Calibri, then he or she should be able to prove that other documents were printed with Calibri in 2006, and these prints should be in the hands of other people as well.

So, in my opinion, the document in question was produced much later, when Calibri was the default font in MS Word.”
Following are the legal documents which are alleged to be forged, these documents are date “2nd February 2006” and are using “Calibri” font.

Following are the legal documents which are alleged to be forged, these documents are date “2nd February 2006” and are using “Calibri” font.

dlI8gyH.jpg

FaeJO5c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

PIND-WALA

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
I really dont need allt he scientific community input, I know for a fact that sharif family is group of thieves.Period.....

Okara

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
Is it okay for a lawyer in UK to authenticate a document in someones absence? Like in Canada, the lawyer never sign a document without having client present in front of him/her.
I can see that Maryam and her Husband were in KSA while Maryam's brother and Lawyer were present in UK. So how can a lawyer testified a document in someone's absence?

rmunir

Minister (2k+ posts)
Freeman Box limited was dissolved on 30th may 2017. This is the company which allegedly attested Maryam's documents dated February 2006 typed with calibri font. This Company was declared dormant company since 20th November 1992 on companies house UK website.

Check company's info below;
Source

Check company's history when it was declared dormant below;
Source

According to UK companies house website Definition of Dormant companies.
A dormant company is one that has been registered with Companies House but is not carrying on any kind of business activity or receiving any form of income. Therefore, HMRC considers it dormant (or inactive) for corporation tax purposes

Can you please elaborate, did JIT also stated this observation in their report?

Last edited: