Aafias lawyers to file appeal against sentence

simple_and_peacefull

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Published in : THE EXPRESS TRIBUNE
Published ON : 14/04/2011

aafia-siddiqui-reuters-640x480.jpg

KARACHI:
Lawyers for Pakistani neuroscientist Aafia Siddiqui are filing an appeal in her case on April 15.
Siddiqui was sentenced on seven counts in a federal court in Manhattan on September 23, 2010, and is serving an 86-year sentence.
Her court-appointed lawyer Dawn Cardi says the multifaceted appeal will challenge the courts decision, the several legal issues with the trial, the introduction of evidence as well as how Siddiqui was allowed to testify given what we believe was her diminished capacity.
Less than a month after the sentencing, Siddiqui fired her lawyers and waived her right to an appeal. Siddiqui wrote that she had fired her five lawyers and would be represented by Farha Ahmed, a Texas-based attorney. Ahmed declined to speak to The Express Tribune about Siddiqui.
Cardi said that she had been in touch with Siddiquis family through a representative. When asked if they were supportive of the appeal, she said, I dont know nor do I care. It is my responsibility and I am obligated to file an appeal.
Five lawyers were involved in Siddiquis case, three of which were retained by the Pakistani government and endorsed by her family. However, Siddiqui refused to accept her legal team and the court appointed lawyers Dawn Cardi and Chad Edgar to represent her.
International Justice Network (IJN) Project Director Tina Foster said that since her sentencing, the court has not allowed Siddiqui any visits with her family or any attorneys other than her court-appointed lawyers. The IJN represents Siddiquis family.
However, a spokesperson of the Pakistani embassy in the US said the embassy is in touch with Siddiquis court-appointed lawyers and is prepared to offer all assistance. The spokesperson said that the embassy has tried to arrange telephone calls between Dr Siddiqui and her family in Karachi. The call should go through in the next few days.
Published in The Express Tribune, April 14th, 2011.

abbasiali

Minister (2k+ posts)
Great, lets see now how MQM/PTI/JI and others will come forward and support this issue. I am expecting them to come forward not only with statements or rallies, but with their human resources.

simple_and_peacefull

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Pakistan Consul General in Texas visits Dr Aafia
By APP
Published: April 16, 2011

Consul General Aqil Nadeem was visiting Siddiqui on the instructions of Ambassador to the United States Husain Haqqani. PHOTO: REUTERS/FILE
WASHINGTON: Pakistan’s Consul General in Houston visited Dr Aafia Siddiqui at the Carswell detention facility in Texas, on Friday.
Consul General Aqil Nadeem was visiting Siddiqui on the instructions of Ambassador to the United States Husain Haqqani.
In the meeting, which lasted for two hours, Siddiqui informed the consul general that she was in good health and was pleased to have spoken with her mother and children over the phone.
Embassy officials said that Siddiqui will also be meeting her brother after she requested it. The consul general informed Siddiqui that the Pakistan embassy in Washington had coordinated for consular access for her through the concerned authorities.
She asked Nadeem to convey her thanks to Ambassador Haqqani for his concern for her welfare, the official said.
Siddiqui was sentenced on seven counts in a federal court in Manhattan on September 23, 2010, and is serving an 86-year sentence.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/150656/pakistan-consul-general-in-texas-visits-dr-aafia/