Google launch Facebook rival - Google+

Geek

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
GOOGLE have launched a new social networking site in a bid to rival Facebook and Skype.
Google+ has taken a year to develop and lets users share photos, messages and comments.
It also lets people share things with smaller groups of people through "circles".
This means only workmates, school pals and families but not all at once would be able to see updates and photos.
Google also says it will integrate it hi-tech mapping tools into the services.
The new site has come under fire with some critics saying it has simply reproduced features of Facebook.
But Google claim this service will help them become a permanent player in the social networking scene

Google+ is the latest attempt by the search giant to dislodge Facebook from the top of the social networking industry.

Previous efforts have failed, with both Google Wave and Google Buzz proving unpopular with users.
Vic Gundotra, senior vice president of engineering at Google, said: "Online sharing needs a serious re-think, so it's time we got started.
"Other social networking tools make selective sharing within small groups difficult."
In April, Google reached an out of court settlement with a US policy group after its last effort, Google Buzz, was judged to have breached its own privacy rules.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3666417/Google-launch-Facebook-rival.html#ixzz1QlxM0uoT

Geek

How Google+ compares to Facebook

story.google.hangouts.jpg

(CNN) -- With Tuesday's debut of Google+, a new social network, comparisons to Facebook are inevitable, and immediate.
CNN.com has yet to demo the service, which lets users gather and organize contacts through such Google products as Gmail and Picasa.
But based on what Google has posted about it online, here are some initial impressions.

Punch for punch, Google+ reproduces some of Facebook's most popular tools but adds one distinctive function: [HI]video chat.[/HI]
Google refers to the video service as Hangouts. Several friends can join a room, and the live feeds from their webcams appear as separate blocks along the bottom of the window. The main video box shows the person who's speaking the loudest at any given time. Hangouts can also integrate with Google's YouTube.
By contrast, Facebook hasn't made video conferencing available on its website. But the social networking giant has a close relationship with Microsoft, which acquired Skype last month. Recent versions of the Skype desktop software tie into Facebook's services.
With Hangouts, Google+ has at least one technological advantage over Facebook. But Google's apparent ambition is not to unseat Facebook right away. Google has set up barriers to fast adoption, as it has done with some of its other products, by only allowing people who have been invited by friends to use Google+.

When crafting a service to take on Facebook, Google was wise not to ignore what that popular network, with its more than 600 million users, already does well.
Google+ has photo sharing, which places a large emphasis on smartphone usage. For example, photos taken from an Android phone can be automatically dumped into a private folder in the Google+ Web service, a la Apple's iCloud.
The Circles section in Google+ is like Facebook's friend lists. Each user can organize friends into categories and limit which group sees which parts of his profile. With Circles, users can more quickly send certain messages to a particular crew, such as siblings or frat buddies, that they wouldn't want to share with their entire list of contacts.
A Google+ group-messaging feature, similar to Facebook's newer Messages and Groups products, is called Huddle.
The +1 button, which was previously made available as an optional program for Google account holders, ties this all together, not unlike Facebook's "Like" button. Clicking +1 on Google search results, embedded on other sites or from within Google+ pages, allows you to share links with friends or selectively with groups of friends.
Unsurprisingly, Google has tapped its prowess in Web search for a section called Sparks. It's like Google Alerts, for receiving updates on favorite topics. Facebook's search engine is Microsoft's Bing, but users of that site can't subscribe to updates in this way.
The video conferencing ability may be Google's sharpest edge over Facebook's current product. However, video chat alone likely won't spark a mass exodus from Facebook.
Google appears to be rejecting the idea that Google+ is meant to take Facebook head on. Google says its service is for more tight-knit groups, rather than for all types of online interactions.
"The problem is that today's online services turn friendship into fast food -- wrapping everyone in 'friend' paper," Google executive Vic Gundotra writes in a blog post. "We'd like to bring the nuance and richness of real-life sharing to software."
Eric Schmidt, Google's executive chairman and former CEO, took a more directed swipe at Facebook last month. At a technology conference, he described the service as catering to "every friend you've ever had, including the ones you can't quite remember."
Google suggests that it has plenty more to show. The company repeatedly refers to Google+ as a "project," indicating it will change over time.
"This is just the beginning," Google said Tuesday. "We're just getting warmed up, and we're already pretty excited about what's coming next."

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/TECH/so...eed:+rss/edition_technology+(RSS:+Technology)

ahmadalikhan

MPA (400+ posts)
I don't think it will succeed, people are already fed up from this rain of social networks, email accounts, forums and some billion websites.

shamsheer

Senator (1k+ posts)
Re: Google Plus Invitation

Does any one on this forum has Google Plus (Google +) account????????? If yes, an invitation at the following address would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

are you able to use Google Plus. Since I do not use facebook, I am looking forward for it. When I go to google plus I get the message that it is being used by limited number of users and will be released for public later on.

Last edited:

gazoomartian

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
GOOGLE have launched a new social networking site in a bid to rival Facebook and Skype.
Google+ has taken a year to develop and lets users share photos, messages and comments.
It also lets people share things with smaller groups of people through "circles".
This means only workmates, school pals and families but not all at once would be able to see updates and photos.
Google also says it will integrate it hi-tech mapping tools into the services.
The new site has come under fire with some critics saying it has simply reproduced features of Facebook.
But Google claim this service will help them become a permanent player in the social networking scene

Google+ is the latest attempt by the search giant to dislodge Facebook from the top of the social networking industry.

Previous efforts have failed, with both Google Wave and Google Buzz proving unpopular with users.
Vic Gundotra, senior vice president of engineering at Google, said: "Online sharing needs a serious re-think, so it's time we got started.
"Other social networking tools make selective sharing within small groups difficult."
In April, Google reached an out of court settlement with a US policy group after its last effort, Google Buzz, was judged to have breached its own privacy rules.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3666417/Google-launch-Facebook-rival.html#ixzz1QlxM0uoT

[hilar][hilar][hilar]

Facebook ko Allah ney tauheen-e-risalat pbuh mein hissa leney ki saza mil rahi hai.

Facebook is toasted now. I will be happy if FB is down the drain. We all pay for what we do.

On a serious side, both FB and G are owned by the CIA because of majority share.

I have heard that PayPal is also owned by the CIA. It was bought out in early 2006 to keep track of money flow from and to the US/UK to terrorist organizations.

GeoG

Does any one on this forum has Google Plus (Google +) account????????? If yes, an invitation at the following address would be highly appreciated.

[email protected]

Thanks in advance.

Bhai Zara Billi Ka email address do
Mairi Shark Nay Invitation Bhaijni Hai...

Last edited:

Geek

You cannot signin because at the moment it is based only on invitations. So, thats is why i am asking for it.

Yup I know its limited right now, we have to wait for sometime. I forgot to add its link in first place so mentioned in new post.

GeoG

ye zara high class billi hai janab!! aam awaam ko lift nai kerwati. iss liay apni shark se kahain munh dho rakhay.... :P:P:P

Muaf Karna Bhai, Main Samjha Sara Din Mazdoori Kar Kay Thak Gai Hai Aur K2 Pee Kar Ayashi Kar Rahi Hai
Chal Mairi Shark Fikar Na Kar, Koi Aur Billi Dhondhtay Hain, Eastern Europe Main..

Waseem

Staff member

Thanks in advance.

Okay Aqeel I have sent you the google+ invitation. you must have got it. Enjoy!

Any one else interested? loot sale hay bata dein, phir na kehna kisi ne bataya nahi. :P

Last edited:

no-violence

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
So you think people were using paypal to donate to the terrorist organizations? Well for your information there is no paypal in pakistan and afghanistan.
[hilar][hilar][hilar]

Facebook ko Allah ney tauheen-e-risalat pbuh mein hissa leney ki saza mil rahi hai.

Facebook is toasted now. I will be happy if FB is down the drain. We all pay for what we do.

On a serious side, both FB and G are owned by the CIA because of majority share.

I have heard that PayPal is also owned by the CIA. It was bought out in early 2006 to keep track of money flow from and to the US/UK to terrorist organizations.

hasanfarooq

Dear!
Can i have invitation for Google Plus! Today i read about it and now i desperately want to try it coz i think it will be give tough time to facebook.

Thanks in advance

Hasan Farooq
My id is [email protected]