Hindustan Times Article on Pakistan Cricket team - Pak cricketers unwelcome in the biggest Twenty20

Arslan

45ad94de-1419-4494-a8ae-5d3d8de2f77bMediumRes.JPG

For a country denied international cricket at home for a long time and their cricketers unwelcome in the biggest Twenty20 league, it is fascinating to watch the way Pakistan have dominated in Twenty20 cricket. Despite limited opportunities, the green brigade is the most successful team in

the format. At all the World T20 editions, they have been the team to beat. They were runners-up in 2007, lifted the trophy in 2009 and reached the semifinals in the third one. Here too, except for the loss to India in the Super Eights, they have won all their games. The most impressive has been how they turn up for the pressure games. Against India, they looked tense but when the heat was on in the final league game against Australia, they were a transformed side. The 32-run defeat was Australia's first of the tournament.
So, what is the secret of Pakistans success despite the odds? Experts attribute it to the popularity of T20 back home.
T20 passion
The lack of international opportunities is made up by the passion for the format which has led to dozens of tournaments being played all over Pakistan.
Twenty overs cricket is being played in Pakistan for more than 30 years now. I don't think anybody plays as much T20 tournaments as us, says former Pakistan skipper, Moin Khan. We've 50 to 60 tournaments in Karachi, most of them are played during the month of Ramadan, says Moin, who organises one of the biggest T20 events at his academy in Karachi.
The main reason for Pakistan's success is that the players are very familiar with the format. The competition is so strong they are under pressure to keep inventing new variations and the batsmen always try to hit big shots.
While there is no international exposure at home for the Pakistan players, few may be aware that twenty overs cricket probably originated in Pakistan.

Local league
The Nazimabad Super Cup was the first T20 competition played at Eidgah Ground in central Karachi. The Super Cup, though played with different rules, was held from mid 1970s and went on till the 1990s. Most of the top Pakistan players of that era played in the tournament. In between, there was ten10 cricket where all players in the eleven barring the 'keeper had to bowl an over each.
The stadiums are packed for the Pakistan Cricket Board's two major regional tournaments. We start the domestic season with the regional T20 tournament, and then we finish the season with a T20 tournament for the top eight teams, says Nadeem Sarwar, PCB's corporate communications head.
Massive crowds turn up and for a game at the Gaddafi Stadium (Lahore) a couple of years ago, our PCB chairman was left stranded as the road leading to the stadium was packed. We had to get him to the stadium in an ambulance. And, it was not even the final, says Sarwar.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/News-...rk/Article1-939003.aspx#.UGtQRkgw-w4.facebook

Mehrushka

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
Ungreatful inidan media,dhoni got them the world cup and now indian media slamming dhoni.

New Delhi: The India media on Tuesday lashed out at their national cricket team and captain MS Dhoni for not qualifying for the semi-finals of the ICC Twenty20 World Cup 2012.Former Indian captain, Kapil Dev criticised Dhoni, saying that his captaincy was not upto the level of international cricket.“Now it’s the time that Indian team should learn from their mistakes,” Dev said.The cricket lovers in India also criticised the strategy of MS Dhoni against South Africa and said that it never looked that Dhoni was willing to restrict South before 31 runs.For qualifying in the semi-finals, India needed to win by 31 runs against South Africa. South Africa reached 122 for five in the 17th over in pursuit of the 153 required for victory against India, sending Pakistan into the last four on better net run rate along with Australia.The Indian fans further said that ICC should investigate the match between South Africa and India as it looked that the African team was only willing to cross 121 runs instead of winning the match.The fans further said that that the time had come for selectors to made changes in the Indian team inducting young players.

Mehrushka

Pakistani and indian fans are alike, they get extremely emotional on losses...

Very true.Hope we win against sri lanka or i wont be online if we loose. im sure [MENTION=13871]Unicorn[/MENTION] [MENTION=8094]desicad[/MENTION] and other indian members have already collected some funny pics to display here if we loose(bigsmile):P

rising_pakistan

Minister (2k+ posts)
LOL

Pakistan won because we play too much T20 cricket in Pakistan... Funny article...

Who plays more T20 than indian playes???? LOL

rizhussain44

MPA (400+ posts)
I am afraid that like the World Cup this one might also be planned to have SL lift the trophy, being the home team. I hope it's not the case this time.

Imranpak

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Cricket as a Sport is very much overrated considering only a handful of teams participate in it. It's the only Sport sub continental nations are any good at so their obsession is understandable however it can't be compared to Soccer, Golf or even Tennis for that matter.

I have no problem with Pak players being banned from the IPL as we have seen the tournament does not help make the Indian national side any better at T20. It's a mixture of Bollywood and Cricket, they can do whatever they want where as we should stop complaining all the time.

It's not India's fault that we have been unsuccessful in creating a PPL to challenge it.

HHH...

Senator (1k+ posts)
Cricket is not remained game anymore. The Satta Mafia is so strong that can dig their pitches without hesitation.

So i don't care who wins, but sometime some matches got very tough and i like that moments, teams struggling for their team.

So enjoy every match but don't be tense for any one, mostly they are playing with your emotions.

Zaidi Qasim

I was watching an Indian Channel in which Shoab Akhtar was commenting on the India and south Africa match. After the Indian Batting and just before the Indian Bowling, the hosts and the guets were counting the sour grapes since 150 total looked very small. They asked Shaob Akhter about India's chances and he replied. "Allah karay India jeet jai, Taka mein bhi esi studio mein kuch din aur Aa sakoon" . It was hilarious the way he prayed for Indian win, not because they could win the cup, but He was more concerned about his assignment. what a sucker this shoab is.

Unicorn

Banned
Very true.Hope we win against sri lanka or i wont be online if we loose. im sure @Unicorn @desicad and other indian members have already collected some funny pics to display here if we loose(bigsmile):P

I like Pakistani players they are good decent people as a matter of fact some of are Indian Agents.
Indian_Agento.jpg

I will not disclose their names for their safety. I will not be displaying any funny picks unless they are really funny:lol:. Congratulations to the winner in advance and condolences to the loser:(

Last edited:

MAHMOOD1

MPA (400+ posts)
I like Pakistani players they are good decent people as a matter of fact some of are Indian Agents.
Indian_Agento.jpg

I will not disclose their names for their safety. I will not be displaying any funny picks unless they are really funny:lol:. Congratulations to the winner in advance and condolences to the loser:(
no doubt indian play well but it is game. and it is true that some international plyer inc. indian are in tuch with pakistanis.

IndiaGuy

Senator (1k+ posts)
Very true.Hope we win against sri lanka or i wont be online if we loose. im sure @Unicorn @desicad and other indian members have already collected some funny pics to display here if we loose(bigsmile):P

We are very busy on Net searching for suitable ( and appropriate ) Pictures for pakistan.. don't worry. we are ready. We are praying for SL's victory and Pakistan's defeat simply because Pakistanis are Muslims while Sri Lankans are Hindu.. Just trying to Justify two nation theory ( Just kidding .. Who ever play batter should win ..)