How KPK Police reforms failed us terribly

This is my story working with KPK Police over the course of almost two years now. They failed me not once but twice, one after another in two different Police Stations. First incidence was in Hayatabad PS, a posh residential area in Peshawar while the second in Sharqi Police Station, located in the heart of the city. Both incidence were against the same influential rival where I failed to register an FIR against him. Instead I became victim of Police brutality.

I will talk about the second incidence here which is much worse. I was assailed in Peshwar Courts in the presence of KPK Police, who were suppose to be my guardians, but instead they registered an FIR against me. Not only that they also included two nephews in the FIR who were not present on the scene. This shows "level of investigation" by Peshawar Police, where they are witness to an incidence and yet they can't figure out who were there in the first place.

There were plethora of problem with the FIR itself, that includes manipulated report timings, incomplete medical report of the rival, wrong section of laws, delaying FIR for 3 days in order to make arrest, No investigation what so ever, ignoring CCTV footage (as the incidence happened in court and my nephews were simply not there) and police handling with the existing record but no action were taken against the police, that too after my countless visits to SSP Investigation, SSP Operation, CCPO, DIG and even IGP. In fact the whole police was against me because the rival is an influential retd Brigadier.

You would say police should have registered both the parties FIR right? No. They only registered an FIR against me while I was alone and assailed by five men while they never sent my case to court. I have pleaded police seniors that my FIR be registed as I had visible founds and cut on my face (where I required a stitch), yet no action on my case.

Where there is a lot of praise for KPK Police in the media, the actual reality may be different. What I found that in this case Police openly manipulated reporting timings, arrested innocent citizens without investigation, rival medical was incomplete which is against the law to register an FIR on, invoked extreme section of laws so we can get max jail time yet not action was taken against police. What is see is there is no accountability in KPK Police, the reforms are good only in facebook.

My brother Shahzad Khan has written a complete blog about our episode (narrated by me), I would strongly suggest you guys to go through it and judge for yourself. If such an incidence happen in the heart of the city, minutes away from Centeral Police Office in Peshawar, may I ask where is the change?

How KPK Police Reforms failed us terribly

Last edited:

fawad ali

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Police reforms does not mean the next day our police will compete with scotland yard. It only means that the direction has been and things will improve with time. Having said that it is good that people point out the weakness.

@FawadAli Exactly that's what we think. But an incidence happened in front of Police, where they are witness and they arrest innocent ciitizens who were not there on the scene! this type of change require some 20+ years?

We shouldn't be fooling our selves. In this case we simply asked for accountability of Police which were never done. It wasn't the only wrong doing btw. it has plethora of problems that we highlighted in the article. The fact alone that police delayed FIR for 3 days, registered FIR on incomplete medical reported, arrested us in Police station where I am the complainant demands straightforward termination as pointed out by one of the police officer, but nothing was done, no body even asked them if they did anything wrong.

arafay

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Police reforms does not mean the next day our police will compete with scotland yard. It only means that the direction has been and things will improve with time. Having said that it is good that people point out the weakness.

old habits are hard to change. You cannot fire all incompetent/corrupt/sifarishi officers in one go because they will come on roads and there will be shortage of personnel.. They have to be replaced graudally over several years.

Note that police brutality is an issue faced by minorities in USA and UK as well.

Of course and in this case it was only the SHO and Muharrer that needed to go for clear wrongs doing but nothing was done. In my view 'Saza and Jazza' is the only way to fix things but what if there is no 'Saza'?

miafridi

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
Its take months to build a road or Metro bus, but decades to form a system and keep it improving until you reach the point where no improvement in the system is required and the system itself starts to change the mindset of people upon their encounter with the system bit by bit in decades to come..

If Police is so blind that incident happens in front of them they can't figure it out and arrest wrong people who does not happen to be there, then I think it may take centuries to fix the system not decades.

I am on page 17 of that blog post and if what he has written is true then CCPO, SSP, ASI etc. should be behind bars along with IG KPK for at least 14 years. Can't say that they should be given death sentence and shot because this is not China.

I cannot see any of my comment/replies? I replied using the reply button but I dont see it. Any one knows why?

Simply put, if police is so blind that an incidence happens in front of them and they can't figure it out and arrest the wrong person who were not even present on the scene, I dont think things can be fixed in 20 years, it will need centuries I guess.

The main point is there should be accountability, if a police officer takes the law in his hand, take the wrong action, does not do investigation, clearly takes side, there has to be some punishment for him. In our case there were none, absolutely none. That too after my following the case for more than an year.

GreenMaple

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
This is just a one disgruntled man's story. We haven't heard the police side yet. Overall the KPK police performance is much better than what it used to be.

I am on page 17 of that blog post and if what he has written is true then CCPO, SSP, ASI etc. should be behind bars along with IG KPK for at least 14 years. Can't say that they should be given death sentence and shot because this is not China.

That's exactly right, keep reading more interesting stuff ahead. Section 6 has generic problems that we found in police which is worth its weight in gold for those who care to fix the system.

The original poster is my brother, I am the writer. Our purpose of this article is to show reality and identify the problems in police. We don't think Imran Khan intentions were wrong but the reality is that KPK Police has made fool of everyone including Imran Khan and PTI leadership. That said PTI leader is responsible for this because there is ZERO oversight, what do you expect? Will Police really fix themselves without any oversight?

I another reason I wrote this article is PTI social media misleading and deceiving people. You guys must know that PTI social media Capital City Police Peshawar page has blocked us both after I made our ordeal public so it is clear they block others too and people get on sided stories. This is why everyone thinks police really has changed because they don't see anything against it and the reality is very few ppl actually work with Police so people don't know the reality. This is why I wanted to share this so if we have to live in democracy, it is critical people know the reality.

I have shared this on my blog as well with pictures and other docs here https://fixpakistan.wordpress.com/2017/05/21/how-kpk-police-reforms-failed-us-terribely/ (it might be easier to read on mobile device)

Last edited: