Judge tells Apple: unlock [San Bernardino] shooter's iPhone

k-a-q

MPA (400+ posts)
Judge tells Apple: unlock [San Bernardino] shooter's iPhone:

However, Apple is fighting FBI court order and has refused to comply by saying "It is unprecedented":

kpkpak

Minister (2k+ posts)
I think Apple is making drama here by saying they can not access user phone, they just want to show people that their data is secure even Apple can not look into.

Ahmedkwt

Senator (1k+ posts)
What FBI is asking IPhone to do

Why the FBI's Order to Apple Is So Technically Clever

WRITTEN BY LORENZO FRANCESCHI-BICCHIERAI AND JOSHUA KOPSTEIN

201305301_fbi_agents_large.jpg

February 18, 2016

On Tuesday, the US government dropped what might be the biggest bombshell yet in its ongoing war on encryption: A court order compelling Apple to help the FBI unlock the iPhone of one of the San Bernardino shooters who killed 14 people and injured 22 last December.

This is the latest chapter in the FBI's fight against Apple and encryption, which started when Apple implemented new security and encryption features with the launch of the iPhone 6 in September of 2014. At the time, Apple said it wouldnt be able to unlock phones anymoreeven if the authorities came knocking at their door with a warrantbecause it just didnt have the technical means. But the US government has since been testing the legal boundaries of what it can force Apple, and by extension any other tech company, to do, mainly using the questionable legal authorities granted by a 227-year-old law.

And this time, it might have devised a way to prove that Apple does have the technical means to help cops and feds when they have to access data on a locked device.

At stake is whether a company can be legally compelled to sabotage the security of its own software

In the case of the San Bernardino shooter, rather than telling Apple to break the encryption protecting the device, which is an older iPhone 5C running iOS 9, the order would force the company to build a special version of its software that removes protections against anyone guessing your passcode millions of times until it gets it rightwhats technically known as a brute-force attack.

Apple immediately contested the order, calling it an unprecedented step where the government is essentially asking the company to hack its own users and create a backdoor that could be used any other time in the future.
For the US government, on the other hand, this is simply writing software code, which is not an unreasonable burden for a company that writes software code as part of its regular business,

as an FBI agent argued in the case. This code, moreover, will only be targeted for this specific phone, according to the feds. In other words, theyre claiming this is just a one-time solution and doesn't constitute a backdoor.

1455775143670820.png

An excerpt from the US governments filing in the case.But given what is known about how the iPhone protects users data with encryption, and what the feds are asking in this case, that is likely untruenot just according to Apple, but also security experts who have studied the companys software.

The governments demands, the experts argue, ultimately have very little to do with unlocking a single phone, and everything to do with establishing far-reaching powers, and a technical way for the US governmentand presumably, any governmentto force companies to hack their own products.

CAN APPLE COMPLY WITH THE GOVERNMENTS DEMAND IN THIS CASE?

The answer, according to experts, is yes. Dan Guido, the CEO of cybersecurity firm Trail Of Bits, explained it in detail in a lengthy post on Tuesday.

Essentially, the US government is asking Apple to create a custom version of its operating systemGuido jokingly calls it FBiOSwhich it can then load onto any iOS device to bypass its protections against rapidly guessing passcodes. On iOS 9, a security mechanism wipes the device clean if the wrong passcode is entered 10 times, and guesses are delayed for every wrong attempt. These were measures put in place to avoid forensic tools that could brute-force passcodes on previous iOS versions.

1455775227177681.png

A portion of Apples iOS 9 Security Guide. (Image: Apple)But the special OS version the court is ordering Apple to create (which court documents call a Software Image File, or SIF, and which some compare to a forensic tool developed by Apple itself) would remove those restrictions when loaded onto the device, leaving investigators free to try every possible passcode combination until the device is unlocked. The investigators wouldnt even need to input the passcodes manually on the phone because they could connect the phone to an external computer or device and just run password-cracking software on it.

At that point, unlocking the phone depends on how long the passcode is. If its made of just six numberswhich is what people normally use given that its what Apple suggests by defaultit would require less than a day, given that the iPhones hardware allows roughly 12 guesses per second (one every 80 milliseconds).

Last edited by a moderator:

AakhirKab

MPA (400+ posts)
Anger, praise for Apple for rebuffing FBI over San Bernardino killer's phone

If the so called 'damage' was done and Muslims were defamed by this incident and US achieved all it's goals as per our friends who claimed this did not happen, I am wondering why all this 'unnecessary' drill now. I'd hope this might be some 'food for thought' for those who always believed in conspiracy theories against Muslims/Pakistan and live in the world of denial.

Anger, praise for Apple for rebuffing FBI over San Bernardino killer's phone

(CNN) For Ryan Reyes, it's personal.

Granted, many people have strong opinions over whether Apple helps the FBI break into the iPhone of San Bernardino killer Syed Farook. It's not just about that single device, they say, but larger issues like privacy and security. It's about how best to balance protecting any one person's secrets and society as a whole.

Reyes' viewpoint, though, is shaped by one person he'll never get back: his boyfriend, Daniel Kaufman, one of 14 gunned down during a holiday luncheon at the southern California city's Inland Regional Center. He has been grieving ever since that December 2 terrorist attack, while authorities have been trying to figure out why Farook and his wife, Tashfeen Malik --radical Islamists who supported ISIS -- did what they did.
Now, Reyes is trying to figure out why Apple would do what it did this week: oppose a federal judge's order to hack Farook's phone, a step CEO Tim Cook said would involve producing "something we consider too dangerous to create."

"It's infuriating to me, because I feel like all companies -- especially U.S. companies -- should do what they have to do to protect our country," said an "extremely pissed-off" Reyes, who is considering "getting rid of all [of his] Apple products" following Cook's announcement."ven if I wasn't involved in this, I would still want Apple to comply. That's what decent human beings should be doing."Reyes isn't the only one for whom this debate strikes a personal chord.

It matters, too, to Evan Greer. A transgender woman and activist since high school, she's seen "the deeply chilling effect of overly broad government surveillance," including some who shut themselves off and even suffer post-traumatic stress disorder. She views the FBI's request and judge's corresponding order as just one more example, saying it could end up making things far worse for everyone if whatever is created to hack Farook's phone ends up being used or copied to break into millions more mobile devices.

Greer said such sentiments drive her work as an advocate for protecting people's rights online, work she hopes will make the world better for her now 5-year-old son."What type of world is he going to grow up in?" she asked, applauding Apple for standing up against the government for "democracy and freedom of speech." "Will it be one in which he's constantly being monitored, ... where he feels that he has no privacy?"

"...I want him to have the ability to educate himself about [electronic devices] and to do something about them without feeling the government will be watching him."

Tracking killers' electronic trail a challenge

This debate wouldn't have happened if not for what unfolded more than two months ago on what should have been a festive occasion, a party for Farook's co-workers at the San Bernardino County Health Department.
Authorities arrived to the horrific sounds of "moans and wails," and the discovery that the killers had escaped. (They would be killed later that day in a rented SUV after a shootout with police.)

Police hadn't had any involvement with Farook or Malik until then, though investigators quickly began digging into both. Tracking their electronic trail became a big part of the investigation, though the shooters didn't make it easy.

Malik advocated for jihad on social media, but she did it under a pseudonym and used strict privacy settings that did not allow people outside a small group of friends to see them, U.S. law enforcement officials said.
San Bernardino shooting: Farook tied to jihadist recruiter, officials say

Who specifically did she and her husband talk to? Who helped them? Both shooters' phones could help provide answers to these and many other questions, which is why authorities sought Apple's help in accessing Farook's cell.

Apple CEO claims request creates 'backdoor'

Apple has helped the FBI in the past with requests to access information from phones. And before Tuesday's order, investigators had gotten permission to take data off Farook's phone.The problem: Accessing Farook's data was much more difficult because the device had been locked with a user-generated numeric passcode.

Under Apple's operating systems, someone gets 10 tries to enter the right code to access a phone, the government explained in documents seeking the order. After 10 straight failures, Apple's auto-erase function kicks in, permanently wiping all information from the phone.

That's why federal authorities have asked, in court, for Apple's help. The California-based tech giant claims that, to comply, it would have to create a new version of the iPhone operating system to circumvent key security features on Farook's phone.

Apple's next move in its privacy fight against the FBI"In the wrong hands, this software -- which does not exist today -- would have the potential to unlock any iPhone in someone's physical possession," Cook wrote in an open letter, which claimed the government overreached by asking for "a backdoor to the iPhone."

Passion on both sides of the debate

Cook quickly found support around the tech industry, with Google CEO Sundar Pichai worrying that Apple's compliance "could be a troubling precedent."

Last edited by a moderator:

Galaxy

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Re: Anger, praise for Apple for rebuffing FBI over San Bernardino killer's phone

All gong show my friend.It is good for apple sales,people will think apple is the best as for as your privacy info is concern.Jews are the both sides of fence.and don't tell me any different ,I lived all my life here.

AakhirKab

MPA (400+ posts)
Re: Anger, praise for Apple for rebuffing FBI over San Bernardino killer's phone

All gong show my friend.It is good for apple sales,people will think apple is the best as for as your privacy info is concern.Jews are the both sides of fence.and don't tell me any different ,I lived all my life here.

All your life - guess you have to cover lot of ground here.

Apple's founders were Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak and none of them were Jews for your information. Apple is not a JEWs owned company. It is a publicly traded corporation. If you have money, you can buy their stocks and be one of the owners. So not sure what you meant by 'Jews are the both sides of fence', it does not make any sense - both logically and grammatically.

And may be you don't know but Apple's data cannot be decrypted as of now, period. The tool to do so does not exist as of now.

http://www.apple.com/customer-letter/

Last, Apple made over $ 51B in just Q4 of 2015, not sure this action will do any good. I'll let you check their revenues for next quarter to see if this did any good. This hard stance may actually go against them as patriotic Americans could see this as anti-American. And to be frank, the court is going to make the decision now so it is too early to say anything as Apple may end up providing access to FBI as per court's order.

It appears you are just another believer of 'conspiracy theories'.....

k-a-q

MPA (400+ posts)
Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey thanked Tim Cook for his leadership and said the company stands with Apple. In the tweet, Dorsey also links to Cook's strongly worded open letter that calls the FBI's software request "too dangerous to create."