Nazia Hassan: A disco queen remembered

Muhammad Tauseef A. Bajwa

Senator (1k+ posts)
Nazia Hassan: A disco queen remembered
Published: April 3, 2011
NAZIA2-640x480.jpg

Nazia Hassan's music is just as relevant today as it was decades ago.
The birth anniversary of legendry pop singer Nazia Hassan was marked on Sunday.

Nazia Hassan was born in 1965 in Karachi. She began her singing career during the late 70s, when she appeared on several television shows on PTV as a child artist.

Her professional career started at the age of 15 when she provided the lead vocals for the song Aap Jaisa Koi from the 1980 film Qurbani.

In 1981, Hassan won the Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback for Aap Jaisa Koi. Her albums including Disco Dewane, Young Tarang, Hotline and Sang Sang earned huge appreciation.

Nazia died of lung cancer on August 13, 2000 at the age of 35.

She was given the Pride of performance award by the government of Pakistan in 2002.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/142199/nazia-hassan-a-disco-queen-remembered/

Imranpak

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
She was the pioneer of South Asian Pop Music in the west that we Pakistanis are rightfully proud of. Her brother Zoheb sang too mostly with Nazia but remained in her shadow probably because she initiated the whole thing.

Sadly she had a rather short life, may Allah rest her soul.

sngilani

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Nazia Hassan is my age-mate. I enjoyed her songs in my youth. She inspired millions at that time. She was the first in Disco in pAkistan. ''Aap jaisa kio meiri zindagi main aiy tao baat ban jai'' ....This was my favourite song at that time. Was used to keep her cassettes all the time. It was my college days, this was the Pakistan before Taliban. She left us too early.

Last edited: