Well Done PTV!

FaisalLatif

Councller (250+ posts)
The Pakistani state television network, the PTV, has traditionally been a propaganda tool for every sitting government. There was no room for diversity of opinion, criticism of government or its policies, any news that would put the military establishment in a negative light or invitation in its talk shows to people that were considered anti-government or anti-establishment.

A few days ago, I had the opportunity to watch a talk show on the blogosphere streamed via youtube. The anchor was the articulate and well versed Dr Moeed Peerzada. The debate was lively, constructive and contained diverse opinion from the right and left. I, however, could not see any channel logo on the screen. I googled the show and was amazed that it was actually broadcasted on the Pakistani state tv. This show, I thought, had opinions that most private channels would shy away from. There was damming criticism of government, bureaucracy as well as, and the most surprising of all, the military.

Here is a clip from that show. Complete programming can be found in youtube.com

For people not familiar with Pakistan, it is an unwritten rule that no one can criticize the military. It is the same as criticizing Israel in United States. Even if one does, it has to be very light, or suggestive. Most politicians and journalist fear they would be labelled unpatriotic (if they are lucky) or if they were a bit too harsh, an Indian agent.

From my "googling", I also discovered that Mr Peerzada has recently been made the managing director of PTV.

Thus, for the first time, I was proud of PTV with respect to its commentary and discussion on current affairs instead of its classic dramas. PTV surely has came a long way from its usual "all is well" narrative. Hopefully, this move will restore people's confidence in state tv that is rapidly loosing audiences to the private channels.

In the end, I never thought I would say this in my lifetime, but, well done PTV!

Source: http://tehkal.blogspot.com/2011/05/well-done-ptv-well-dont-moeed-peerzada.html

WatanDost

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Can you assure me?
That 22000 lost n a t o containers dont have ammunation inside?
The walk through gates for americans from 2001 to 2010 on airports
allowed by TRAITOR Mush and now PPP regime and they have no explosives with them?
Sir very simple stop n a t o supply There will be peace in Pakistan
TTP is in border area and n a t o and americans are on the other side
with 12 indian counselates working there.
I M R A N KHAN is GENIUS
One solution stop nato cooperation for Pakistan stability.

Star Gazer

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
100% agreement with this programme....

Will other channels learn to organize a debate like this?

Watch second part here..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g6h1qRXcCM&feature=related

we have to come out of denial.........Its time to make army responsible ....Armed chief,Naval chief must be fired and the armed forces must report to defence ministry...

if you really want to come out of denial then the first step is to remove the current infamous group of incompetently corrupt politicians. Do not limit your ideas to the military only.
What do you think of the many priviliges people like you and me enjoy when 80% of the population is struglinging for basic necessities of life? what sort of fairness is that? Denial is not a word but a state of mind.