How Pakistani Guys Hacked the Youtube in Past.. Why not to do it now

alpha

MPA (400+ posts)
Howtohackyoutubeaccountpassword.jpg

How Pakistan Hacked YouTube for the World

Opinion: In blocking content its government deemed offensive, Pakistan Telecom used an especially egregious form of Internet abuse.

A recent Newsweek cover story called Pakistan "the most dangerous country in the world." The writers don’t even know the half of it.
A few days ago, YouTube’s service was interrupted for a couple of hours over a political issue in Pakistan. Someone in the government was offended by a video on YouTube. They issued an order to Pakistan Telecom to remove Internet access to a specific YouTube video. That video is now offline from anywhere, for violating terms of use according to YouTube. (That fact could be another column; I heard it was another one of these Danish cartoon things, but back to the technical issues …)

I’m guessing that ISPs in Pakistan have to peer with Pakistan Telecom; lots of countries work that way. You can see their peering list (at least a very recent one) here. So it’s definitely a point at which one could control the country’s Internet access, although this sort of ISP function doesn’t have a handy "block this URL" function.

But when you only have a hammer, everything looks like a nail, I guess, and so Pakistan Telecom decided to follow the order by using routing functions. Networks like Pakistan Telecom, the ISPs they serve and the upstream providers elsewhere on the Internet to which they provide their customers access all have unique network identifiers called AS – or Autonomous System numbers – and AS names. Pakistan Telecom is AS17557 with the name "PKTELECOM-AS-AP Pakistan Telecom.” These AS numbers are used by routers for basic functions, such as to announce what addresses they have in their networks. This whole system is known as the routing protocol BGP, or Border Gateway Protocol.

There is a trust model implicit in this system, making it subject to abuse, and Pakistan Telecom dealt with their problem by abusing it. It engaged in an attack known as BGP Injection. I’d like to thank Dave Rand of Trend Micro, who first brought the problem of BGP injection to my attention years ago. It’s an attack with horrifying potential, and defenses against it are weak at best.

For a much better explanation of what Pakistan Telecom did, see this CircleID article. Essentially, PT told the world of Internet routing that it was the route to IP addresses for YouTube’s service, and in fact they advertised it as the preferred route. Internet traffic all over the world started heading into Pakistan where there was, of course, no actual YouTube to show them videos of exploding Jello.
It looks like it took YouTube about 80 minutes to get the word out that its addresses had been hijacked, and providers began responding very quickly. The YouTube people seemed to be on the ball and the outage lasted anywhere from about 90 minutes to 2 hours, depending on what network you were on.

BGP Injection can be detected, if you’re looking. It cannot be prevented. Imagine a rogue network in some relatively lawless part of the world advertising the IP addresses of Bank of America and put a fake site up on the appropriate server. Users would have a very hard time telling the difference. The address bar would say "www.bankofamerica.com." Network admins could tell that something had happened, but they would have to be looking for it. Not many companies look at their real-time BGP tables.

As Martin Brown, author of the CircleID piece says, it’s trivial to perform this sort of attack. It’s happened before, but not all that often (that we know of).

This case was certainly callous, but it’s not the really worrisome form of BGP Injection. Could one of those really happen? Would a network operator actually be careless or malicious enough to do that? Of course they would. Just a matter of time.
http://www.thewaronwar.com/technology/pakistan-hacked-youtube/

Last edited by a moderator:

Malik495

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
its not tht easy anymore .. cz they have backup servers all accross the globe. and it is not possible to hack all servers at the same time..

JusticeLover

Minister (2k+ posts)
Muslims government should put lots of DDOS on it , no one will be able to open any of google servers ,
will make their servers die slow death.

Mehrushka

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
Do you think hackers need any encouragement from any body?
They love to hack any thing any time, and I am sure they are trying right now!

nothing wrong in giving moral support,right (bigsmile) maybe one of them is reading my comment right now:P

Qannadi

Voter (50+ posts)
The most effective response could have been to direct all searches for "Innocence of the Muslim" conducted on Youtube, Googles and other possible resources getting redirected to news items about the past misdeeds and the dodgy character of the producer http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/sep/15/police-hold-anti-islamic-film-maker
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/12/nakoula-basseley-nakoula-anti-islam-film_n_1879195.html

Go to the clip at the bottom of the page to see how actors were deceived to act on a script with a different title and different characters.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/13/nakoula-basseley-nakoula-coptic-christian_n_1881693.html

News about Cindy Lee Garcia suing the producer Nakoula Basseley Nakoula
http://blogs.voanews.com/breaking-n...s-in-anti-muslim-film-sues-producer-you-tube/

In fact much more can be linked to the shady and corrupt figure of producer Nakoula Basseley Nakoula
http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/?search=Nakoula&JavaScript=1&lang=en

Last edited:

Muawiyah

MPA (400+ posts)
[h=5]Moved to Bing from Google, leaving Android, closing down my Gmail, porting all my videos to dailymotion from YouTube, because i love Muhammad (saw) even more than my parents. I will boycott all these unless Google accept to respect Muhammad (saw). i request all users to do the same , plz[/h]

AbuOkasha

MPA (400+ posts)
Since youtube is now owned by Google and Google's data center holds more than 45,000 severs, so breaching into the server is out of question, the massive DDoS attack could only cause temporarily downtime for few regions.

Saboo

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
Moved to Bing from Google, leaving Android, closing down my Gmail, porting all my videos to dailymotion from YouTube, because i love Muhammad (saw) even more than my parents. I will boycott all these unless Google accept to respect Muhammad (saw). i request all users to do the same , plz
Now this should be the right approach! Good work man!

haqiqath

Senator (1k+ posts)
Kill the culprit who created this whole mess how much impact of u - tube on that devils not confirm but hacker must hack it to open u tube along hacking all the links of that sick movie so no one can see it while can see all other things of there interests.

abduttawwab

MPA (400+ posts)
Moved to Bing from Google, leaving Android, closing down my Gmail, porting all my videos to dailymotion from YouTube, because i love Muhammad (saw) even more than my parents. I will boycott all these unless Google accept to respect Muhammad (saw). i request all users to do the same , plz

Masha-Allah!! & Barak-Allah!!!

By the grace of Allah, I'd also boycotted facebook for the similar reasons few years ago and still not using it. Then I started using Google+ but now google has adopted the same anti-islam biased policy as we'd observed for FB.
Today if we move to dailymotion from youtube, does it really work??

indigo

Siasat.pk - Blogger

Very good, but please don't use Dailymotion or Vimeo too, both includes that filthy video