Hindus demand their right to register marriages

Muhammad Tauseef A. Bajwa

Senator (1k+ posts)
By Azam Khan
Published: April 1, 2011
hindu-640x480.jpg

Hindus say denial of legal matrimonial recognition leads to the denial of other basic rights.

ISLAMABAD:
Calling for an end to institutionalised discrimination going back 62 years, the Scheduled Caste Rights Movement of Pakistan (SCRM) demanded quick passage of a law pertaining to Hindu marriage registration.

In a press conference held here on Thursday, the SCRM pleaded the parliamentarians and concerned citizens to give Hindus the same treatment as other communities vis-a-vis their right to register marriages.

They warned the government that they would launch a forceful campaign if it failed to protect their basic rights, particularly that of marriage registration. They announced the launch of a nation-wide signature campaign in this regard.
Hindu women, hailing from different parts of the country, expressed regret over the governments failure to end injustice against the poor women of the Hindu community. They alleged that they were being discriminated against in the right to possess Computerized National Identity Cards (CNIC), which, in their view, was congruent with a denial of their basic rights of citizenship.

On not being able to produce marriage registration certificates, we are not entitled to get CNIC, which in turn denies us the right to vote as well. Despite the Supreme Courts suo motu ruling of November 23 2010 in our favour, no measures have been taken to introduce legal provisions for our rights, said Sangeeta Devi.

Shami Mai, a poor woman from Rahim Yar Khan, said, In case of separation or domestic violence, a Hindu woman cannot register a complaint in government departments because she does not have any legal document to establish the perpetrator as her husband.

Hindu families also face a great deal of problems while travelling. If we travel or stay in a hotel, policemen and hotel administrations mistreat us. They become suspicious of our relation to each other. If the government passes a law that enables us to register married couples, we would be able to defend our self respect by showing documentary evidence of our statuses. In most cases, we end up spending nights at railway stations or foot-paths, complained Naina Bai.
In the view of Anita Vadhani, an O-level student, Hindu women faced many more problems than women of other faiths in Pakistan. If one of our girls is abducted or there is an incident of forced conversion or remarriage, we cannot contest the case in courts because we dont have marriage certificates, she told The Express Tribune.

Shanktala Devi, a housewife, said that the absence of marriage registration laws had deprived Hindu women of their right to property and other rights conferred upon a divorced or widowed woman. She urged the quick passage of a bill ensuring them their right to register marriages in local government departments.
The members of the Hindu community threatened to hold a sit-in in front of the parliament building in June if their demands remained unmet. They urged the media and the concerned citizens of Pakistan to show support for their campaign by participating in it.

Published in The Express Tribune, April 01st, 2011.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/140805/hindus-demand-their-right-to-register-marriages/

Senator (1k+ posts)
I didn't get it. What does all this mean. Does it mean Hindus can't get married legally in pakistan????
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Educated and wealthiest 'Hindus' are living a much better life in Pakistan like other minorities. Problem is with poor, uneducated and females (Alone) belonging to 'Hindu' religion. Owner of "Ever Ready Pictures" Jagdesh Anand & Satesh Anand are having a luxurious living in Lahore, Karachi and elsewhere in Pakistan. A number of Villages & Towns in interior Sind are having 100% Hindu Population and a 'Muslim' is not allowed to enter there. All Administrative control is in the hand of Hindus and Muslims are not even a minority there. Hindus themselves didn't treat these poor, illiterate & low castes Hindus in an honorable way. Fault lies in Hindu culture and not because of their living in Pakistan. Similarly, because of personal family relations with "Sahini Family" in Sargodha since 1958 I can authenticate that they are among the big land owners. Agricultural land and other property near “Salam” Interchange (Sargodha) on LHE-ISB motorway belongs to this family before partition. In fact “Salam” was a village wholly owned by this family. I was not only a childhood friend of this family children but Karoona Sahini & me both were class fellows in “Presentation Convent School” Sargodha till 1960. Like her other sisters my childhood friend got married and shifted India. Only elder Sahini brother is now living with his family in Sargodha!

A.Ali.T

Minister (2k+ posts)
By Azam Khan
Published: April 1, 2011
Hindus say denial of legal matrimonial recognition leads to the denial of other basic rights.

ISLAMABAD:
Calling for an end to institutionalised discrimination going back 62 years, the Scheduled Caste Rights Movement of Pakistan (SCRM) demanded quick passage of a law pertaining to Hindu marriage registration.

In a press conference held here on Thursday, the SCRM pleaded the parliamentarians and concerned citizens to give Hindus the same treatment as other communities vis-a-vis their right to register marriages.

They warned the government that they would launch a forceful campaign if it failed to protect their basic rights, particularly that of marriage registration. They announced the launch of a nation-wide “signature campaign” in this regard.
Hindu women, hailing from different parts of the country, expressed regret over the government’s failure to end injustice against the poor women of the Hindu community. They alleged that they were being discriminated against in the right to possess Computerized National Identity Cards (CNIC), which, in their view, was congruent with a denial of their basic rights of citizenship.

“On not being able to produce marriage registration certificates, we are not entitled to get CNIC, which in turn denies us the right to vote as well. Despite the Supreme Court’s suo motu ruling of November 23 2010 in our favour, no measures have been taken to introduce legal provisions for our rights,” said Sangeeta Devi.

Shami Mai, a poor woman from Rahim Yar Khan, said, “In case of separation or domestic violence, a Hindu woman cannot register a complaint in government departments because she does not have any legal document to establish the perpetrator as her husband.”

Hindu families also face a great deal of problems while travelling. “If we travel or stay in a hotel, policemen and hotel administrations mistreat us. They become suspicious of our relation to each other. If the government passes a law that enables us to register married couples, we would be able to defend our self respect by showing documentary evidence of our statuses. In most cases, we end up spending nights at railway stations or foot-paths,” complained Naina Bai.
In the view of Anita Vadhani, an O-level student, Hindu women faced many more problems than women of other faiths in Pakistan. “If one of our girls is abducted or there is an incident of forced conversion or remarriage, we cannot contest the case in courts because we don’t have marriage certificates,” she told The Express Tribune.

Shanktala Devi, a housewife, said that the absence of marriage registration laws had deprived Hindu women of their right to property and other rights conferred upon a divorced or widowed woman. She urged the quick passage of a bill ensuring them their right to register marriages in local government departments.
The members of the Hindu community threatened to hold a sit-in in front of the parliament building in June if their demands remained unmet. They urged the media and the concerned citizens of Pakistan to show support for their campaign by participating in it.

Published in The Express Tribune, April 01st, 2011.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/140805/hindus-demand-their-right-to-register-marriages/

I cannot believe what I just read. This is mockery of justice.

no-violence

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
I can't believe this, I thought everybody could register a marriage regardless of the religion. The strange thing is that it has been like this since 1947.

YAHYA87

Senator (1k+ posts)
We had an active Cheif Justice from Hindu Community two years ago but I dont understand why this issue wasnt been raised at that time???????Anyways no matter how better we try to talk about our Justice system but their would always be LOOPHOLES their in it which is not just for some Minority but also for Majority......Justice, Insaaf, Azad Adlia is all JOKE and nothing else cause neither they can Serve nor they ant to serve(except when their is some kind of Collective Benefits involve)......

gazoomartian

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
I just dont believe that Hindus are not allowed to register their marriages. Thats not only unfair, its discrimination and its pathetic.

The president should issue and executive order to take care of this. Regardless of whether a Hindu family is rich or poor. all must be treated equally

Unicorn

Banned
I just dont believe that Hindus are not allowed to register their marriages. Thats not only unfair, its discrimination and its pathetic.

The president should issue and executive order to take care of this. Regardless of whether a Hindu family is rich or poor. all must be treated equally

Not only Hindus Sikhs are in the same situation.

Should be done on an urgent basis for the Sikhs at least, it makes a very good gesture for the Khalistan cause Mr. Chairman. So you should try to pull as many strings as possible. I think you may have to sacrifice some of the religious rules of the Islamic Republic, its a very tough decision but I think you should do it. If you can find a loop hole for Raymond Davis why not for Sikhs.

In 1970 there were over a hundred thousand Sikhs in Pakistan now there are around twenty thousand so you have weigh it carefully in another 10 years non will be left so is it really worth the effort.

Last edited:

Farooq Khan

MPA (400+ posts)
Pakistan have this problem regardless what faith poor people from all faith have different problems like minorties have registeration of marriage and poor Muslims access to justice and so on real problem is everone in power with few exceptions is jsut doing what he can at best looting of Pakistan this will stop when we have honourable and clean new leadership and than we will have justice for all Pakistanis including all minorties.
Not only Hindus Sikhs are in the same situation.

Should be done on an urgent basis for the Sikhs at least, it makes a very good gesture for the Khalistan cause Mr. Chairman. So you should try to pull as many strings as possible. I think you may have to sacrifice some of the religious rules of the Islamic Republic, its a very tough decision but I think you should do it. If you can find a loop hole for Raymond Davis why not for Sikhs.

In 1970 there were over a hundred thousand Sikhs in Pakistan now there are around twenty thousand so you have weigh it carefully in another 10 years non will be left so is it really worth the effort.

gazoomartian

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
IK should pick up on this injustice and promise a remedy. Hindu Pakistanis will love him for that and also may others. I dont know if Parsis, Sikhs, Christians are also not allowed to register marriages.

I would love to know how and by whom this rule came by or may be its left over since 1947.

Sad thing is that Hindu Chief Justice Rana Bhagwan Das never was pointed out to or he never bother with it.

Senator (1k+ posts)
I cannot believe what I just read. This is mockery of justice.

........................................................................................
Do not be carried away by a single protest and that too by the women folk belonging to low cast Hindu's faction. There is no mockery of Justice whatsoever! Tell me if Hindus, themselves do not permit the " Government" functionaries to enter their dominated villages to provide and ensure (the common Hindu men & women) education, justice, health and other basic human necessities because of their own 'cultural' divide then how the Muslims are to blamed for it? Their Holy places are only for Brahmas in those villages & towns in interior Sind. Hindus living in Lahore worship and celebrate their all events in free, fair and impartial style in "Krishna Mander" Ravi Road, Lahore and news with photographs appear in prominent dailies frequently. Similarly there are few dozens worship places for them in Karachi, alone. Hindus had there own "Community" head in Karachi and most of the interior Sind who took care of their problems. How these Hindus are living in posh localities and doing real big businesses in Pakistan if this not treated at par or being allowed to act as per their belief? One should comment only after knowing complete ground realities. Ask any prominent Hindu if he had any reservation or is being treated discriminatory?

Unicorn

Banned
I like to correct my self in 2008 Pakistan passed an ordinance for Sikhs Marriages under " Anand Marrige act"

So for its being respected by the bureaucracy and no problems have been reported.

Great Job Pakistan and my apology for not checking out the facts before posting my remarks. My knowledge was six years old my comments were not intentionally misleading.

Sikhs in Pakistan and India have applauded this act.

Last edited:

Senator (1k+ posts)
I like to correct my self in 2008 Pakistan passed an ordinance for Sikhs Marriages under " Anand Marrige act"

So for its being respected by the bureaucracy and no problems have been reported.

Great Job Pakistan and my apology for not checking out the facts before posting my remarks. My knowledge was six years old my comments were not intentionally misleading.

Sikhs in Pakistan and India have applauded this act.
................................................................................................

So nice of you! Second thought (Not Opinion) is always better.

Dear all; Correct your 'knowledge'! Neither "Government of Pakistan" nor local "Administration" is responsible for the sorry state of Affairs regarding Hindu Community.

FYI, Hindus have their 'OWN' Surpunch (Heads) in Karachi and at all other places WHO decide the issues/problems related to Hindus and a 'document' given by this committee is honored above the civil courts.

Learned colleagues and the members of Hindu community are most welcome to object or correct me, in case I'm wrong!