Mahendra Singh Dhoni: From a 'ticket collector' to Team India 'World Cup winning' captain

IndiaGuy

Senator (1k+ posts)
Kharagpur: Sourav Ganguly was Team India captain then and Yuvraj Singh a rising star. Those days, Mahendra Singh Dhoni worked as a railway ticket collector in West Bengal's Kharagpur. The shy, reticent Mahi is now Indian skipper. And, winner of the World Cup.

Kharagpur residents have not forgotten Dhoni who stayed at the railway town for about three years. On Saturday, his former colleagues and locals performed yajnas, pujas and prayed hard for 'Captain Cool'. Many of them remembered how Dhoni cycled around the town and played cricket with tennis balls on practically every ground in and around Kharagpur.

7855524.cms

He was known as a cricket crazy lad then. No one knew he was meant for bigger things.

Dhoni came here as a 20-year-old in 2001, desperately seeking a job. The then divisional railway manager of South Eastern Railway Animesh Kumar Ganguly, a cricket fanatic, was desperately looking for a wicket-keeper batsman.

"Ganguly took Mahi to the South Eastern Railway Sports Association stadium, bowled him 60 balls and came back satisfied. Dhoni got the job in sports quota," said a nostalgic Siddhartha Chatterjee. He was the captain when Dhoni played for a local club.

Everyone in this town seems to have similar stories to tell. Since early Saturday morning, the railway town had only cricket and Dhoni in their mind. Ranjan Chakraborty was busy with a puja at Durga temple for Dhoni at 6am. At another puja, a huge cut-out of Hanumanji stood beside a giant replica of the World Cup trophy.

But Dhoni's tryst with Kharagpur ended abruptly in 2003, when he began getting calls for bigger matches. He quit the railways job and joined the erstwhile Indian Airlines. A few years ago he came to Kharagpur to meet his friends quietly. "That was the last time he was here. We all stole into a train compartment and had dinner," said a friend.

http://articles.economictimes.india...endra-singh-dhoni-railways-job-sourav-ganguly

Last edited by a moderator:

GeoG

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
I love his meekness and humbleness. Humility conquers all. Well done Dhoni!!!

We have Asif and Amir on this side of the border looking up to Ghelani and Zardari as head of nation in comparison with Patel and Manmohan

They knew they could get away with even murder and had all the crooks around him to make money, look where are they today,

Facing criminal charges in UK Courts and Dhoni is holding World Cup.

I have no doubt in my mind that if Amir and Asif were in our team, we will be holding this cup today
But no regrets too, time for crooks to get punished.

mmalihk

MPA (400+ posts)
Thanks karo pm gillani ka jiss ne match set kar key diya dhoni ko.............
zardari ke chamchy khaphay khaphay khaphay...........

mohsin g

Citizen
main ne to suna ha k dhoni pehle police main sipahi tha aur t20 cup jeetne per dhoni ko sho bana dia gaya hai,
well what so ever, but one thing is clear that dhoni is non controversial, cool minded and well character man.
i like u dhoni

baaghi01

Senator (1k+ posts)
LUCK big time. Congrats to indian team n dhoni. But I would like to see how he manages it after tendulkar retires. Tendulkar was the main morale booster for every member of their team in this wc. I will be convinced if dhoni continues like this even after tendulkar. It would be very interesting to see it but I dont think it will happen.
It also will be a big test for tendulkar if he retires now or will drag to score his last ton and we dont know how many series it will take. Its a dream of every player to retire at his peak and nothing can be bigger than winning the WC but looking at his selfish nature of playing for personal records and himself with only 27% of match winning 100s, he still hasnt announced his retirement so far.

only_truths

Minister (2k+ posts)
LUCK big time. Congrats to indian team n dhoni. But I would like to see how he manages it after tendulkar retires. Tendulkar was the main morale booster for every member of their team in this wc. I will be convinced if dhoni continues like this even after tendulkar. It would be very interesting to see it but I dont think it will happen.
It also will be a big test for tendulkar if he retires now or will drag to score his last ton and we dont know how many series it will take. Its a dream of every player to retire at his peak and nothing can be bigger than winning the WC but looking at his selfish nature of playing for personal records and himself with only 27% of match winning 100s, he still hasnt announced his retirement so far.

Your post does not reflect your belief as per your signature quote: " Don't worry, be happy. It will happen"

unquote: Don't worry, It will happen soon, the 100th century. As for as Victory in a match and Tendulkar's contribution goes, it is the belief of Indian Team and population that his presence is only enough for winning the game. He is such an encouragement and cheer leader for India within the playfield and dressing room. Did you hear what the younger generation like Virat Kohli feel about senior's like Tendulkar and the way he was carried on the shoulders after the match. That is the custom we are all taught in younger days. I am not saying that luck is not important (like winning the toss ) but without hardwork, luck cannot be converted to success. Regards