Message of Rabi ul Awal to Muslim ummah

knowledge88

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
A question for all.
If Rabi ul Awwal means spring the first, then how can we have spring in October or any other month for that matter?
Because Islamic calendar year does not have 365 days ( The time earth roughly takes to rotate the sun), the months do not match the season and can not match the Gregorian calendar.This is the reason years ago Ramazan used to be in winter but now comes close to summer.
Jews also follow luner calendar but they have made changes to their calendar by adding necessary days in their calendar, so their religion celebrations roughly come at the same time. For example their Yom Kippor will always be around September.

Last edited:

Wake up Pak

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
Because Islamic calendar year does not have 365 days ( The time earth roughly takes to rotate the sun), the months do not match the season.
Jews also follow luner calendar but they have made changes to their calendar by adding necessary days in their calendar, so their religion celebrations roughly come at the same time.
I agree with what you wrote but the so-called Islamic calendar is not Islamic at all.
So the date of Nabi Kareem's birthday keeps changing as per the Islamic calendar, does it make any sense?

knowledge88

I agree with what you wrote but the so-called Islamic calendar is not Islamic at all.
So the date of Nabi Kareem's birthday keeps changing as per the Islamic calendar, does it make any sense?
No . The date is always 12 Rabiulawal in an Islamic calendar.

knowledge88

I know it is 12 Rabiul Awal in the Islamic calendar but again it does not make any sense if it keeps fluctuating
You mean why it doesn't match the dates with a Gregorian calendar? It can't. Islamic calendar have 354 to 355 days in their calendar not 365 days.

Wake up Pak

You mean why it doesn't match the dates with a Gregorian calendar? It can't. Islamic calendar have 354 to 355 days in their calendar not 365 days.
I know the difference between the two but, again, if I was born on August 30th, can I have my birthday on a different date each year?

Okara

I know it is 12 Rabiul Awal in the Islamic calendar but again it does not make any sense if it keeps fluctuating
Its misconception that its Islamic Calendar rather it was called Hijri and is based on Lunar. The more commonly used is based on earth rotation around Sun. Lets assume if we are living on Mars its lunar and Sun based calendar will be different from us and if we create a calendar based on galaxy it will be different. Like we can measure mas in KG and LBs same we humans decided to measure time based on earth rotation. Also we can create another way is rotation of electron around hydrogen atom.

Wake up Pak

Its misconception that its Islamic Calendar rather it was called Hijri and is based on Lunar. The more commonly used is based on earth rotation around Sun. Lets assume if we are living on Mars its lunar and Sun based calendar will be different from us and if we create a calendar based on galaxy it will be different. Like we can measure mas in KG and LBs same we humans decided to measure time based on earth rotation. Also we can create another way is rotation of electron around hydrogen atom.
Yes, it is a Hijri calendar but who decided it to be based on the lunar motion?

knowledge88

I know the difference between the two but, again, if I was born on August 30th, can I have my birthday on a different date each year?
If you are following Gregorian calendar then you will also celebrate your birthday on August the 30th. If the Islamic calendar date when you were born was first Ramazan, then you will always celebrate you birthday on 1st Ramazan if you following Islamic calendar. Luner and solar calendars can't match because total number of days in a year are different in each calendar. You can't expect to get 1st Ramazan on August 30 every year.
Also tell me one thing.
You are not happy why Muslims celebrate their Prophet's birthday on a different date in a Gregorian calendar. Why Christians celebrate good Friday, Jesus crucifixion day on a different date every year ? Why easter comes on a different date every year ? Because Christians follow luner calendar to celebrate Easter.

Okara

Yes, it is a Hijri calendar but who decided it to be based on the lunar motion?
It was done during Hazrat Umer Ibne Khattab RA but is not new concept. The only difference is it starts from Hijrah of our prophet Muhammad PBUH.

Wake up Pak

It was done during Hazrat Umer Ibne Khattab RA but is not new concept. The only difference is it starts from Hijrah of our prophet Muhammad PBUH.
I know all that but, you are not getting my point. Is it possible for any human to have his or her birthday on a different date each year?

Wake up Pak

If you are following Gregorian calendar then you will also celebrate your birthday on August the 30th. If the Islamic calendar date when you were born was first Ramazan, then you will always celebrate you birthday on 1st Ramazan if you following Islamic calendar. Luner and solar calendars can't match because total number of days in a year are different in each calendar. You can't expect to get 1st Ramazan on August 30 every year.
Also tell me one thing.
You are not happy why Muslims celebrate their Prophet's birthday on a different date in a Gregorian calendar. Why Christians celebrate good Friday, Jesus crucifixion day on a different date every year ? Why easter comes on a different date every year ? Because Christians follow luner calendar to celebrate Easter.
I am the least bit concerned what jews or Christians follow and how they celebrate.
To me, it does not fit a rational and logical mind to accept a fluctuating date of birth or any other event for that matter.

knowledge88

I know all that but, you are not getting my point. Is it possible for any human to have his or her birthday on a different date each year?
Yes. If they follow two different calendars.
Is it normal to celebrate someone's death anniversary on a different date every year ? Yes Christians do it. They celebrate Jesus crucifixion on a different date every year. Christians and Jews examples are given to prove that lunar and solar dates can never match and other religions don't have any problems with this issue.

Wake up Pak

Also tell me one thing.

Yes. If they follow two different calendars.
Is it normal to celebrate someone's death anniversary on a different date every year ? Yes Christians do it. They celebrate Jesus crucifixion on a different date every year.
Why does anyone in their right mind follow two different calendars?

Okara

In one calendar there won't be two dates. U r mixing Hijri vs Gregorian Calendars. If u r talking about seasons then are not same every where on earth. Like in Canada winter is approaching while in Australia summer is coming.

Wake up Pak

In one calendar there won't be two dates. U r mixing Hijri vs Gregorian Calendars. If u r talking about seasons then are not same every where on earth. Like in Canada winter is approaching while in Australia summer is coming.
You did not get my question.

knowledge88

Why does anyone in their right mind follow two different calendars?
Now, that is a completely different issue. As a Muslim you have to accept Hijri calendar. Because we celebrate Ramazan , Eid etc. But it is not practical for daily use . Because we don't know when 1st RabiusSanni will be ( if we believe on moon sightening). So we can't prepare for the future. Suppose I have to book a flight for Ist Rabbiussani . I won't know what day it will be.
That is the reason we follow two calendars. We follow Islamic calendar to go to heaven, to practise Islamic celebrations, for daily use we follow Gregorian calendar.