Muslim waiter at US hotel told not to reveal name

lotaa

Minister (2k+ posts)
May 02, 2011 at 07:31
By IANS
Washington (IANS) - A Muslim waiter at a New York hotel has said he was told to work under a fake name so that guests would not be scared over his Islamic identity, a media report said.

Moroccan-born Mohamed Kotbi, who works at the Waldorf-Astoria hotel, said he was forced to wear a name badge with "Edgar" written on it, the Daily Mail reported.

Kotbi, who has worked for the hotel since December 1984, is now suing it for religious and racial discrimination. The hotel has declined to comment.

The waiter said that after the 9/11 attack, he was first asked to change his name badge to one that said "John".

"I put it on. I was in shock," the waiter told the New York Post.

When Kotbi complained to the hotel management, he was reportedly told: "We don't want to scare our guests."

He filed discrimination lawsuits with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission in 2005 and 2009, and was given a name tag with his own surname on it.

But in November last year, he was reportedly given a name badge that said "Edgar".

"It's better to be Edgar than Mohamed today," he was told.

Kotbi has accused the hotel of creating a "hostile work environment".

He also alleged in court documents that he was repeatedly called "terrorist" and "Al Qaeda boy".

http://en.news.maktoob.com/20090000720584/Muslim_waiter_at_US_hotel_told_not_to_reveal_name/Article.htm

rana14801

Senator (1k+ posts)
beig christian in Pakistan does'nt mean BHANGEE. they do work in our hoses,kitchen etc and even in hotels. our all leadership feels very happy when they go on abroad visits and do feel pride in having food with them. in aircrafts do any one has ever asked any hostess weather she is christian or mulim while they serve food? so it if they take any precautions well no comments. they must be having good reasons for that. if the man is serving as waiter since 1984 then people must be knowing about his faith or religion.

biomat

Minister (2k+ posts)
What happens to chirstian people in our country, oh i forgot they are not even allow to come in kitchen let alone serving food to muslim
Dear Brother.
Do u live in Pakistan or else.
As i am an engineer i work with many minorities during our projects.
I have a close friend who is christian we eat together & even share TEA & food as i know he dont take WINE & PORK.
I have been to his house where he served me food made by him.. His name is JOHN & he lives in Karachi & belong to PUNJAB.
So stop this bullshit & talk with truth.
Jaza-k-ALLAH

Farooq Khan

MPA (400+ posts)
Dear Brother.
Do u live in Pakistan or else.
As i am an engineer i work with many minorities during our projects.
I have a close friend who is christian we eat together & even share TEA & food as i know he dont take WINE & PORK.
I have been to his house where he served me food made by him.. His name is JOHN & he lives in Karachi & belong to PUNJAB.
So stop this bullshit & talk with truth.
Jaza-k-ALLAH

Dear biomat i will agree what you say and i would like to tell you my experiance in america i work there for five years and i can tell you 100% i was requested to change my name that would sound like american name but i turn it down in a friendly way working as a supervisor in america i met people from many countries who were not using their real name instead fake name i would say sad but true.

Imranpak

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
After 9/11 many Muslim's did such things for the sake of security especially in the USA. Most Pakistani Christians are equally cultured and having similar eating habits to the majority community.

By and large Muslim's in the west are still treated much better the Pakistani non-Muslim's so lets not kid ourselves

cefspan

Minister (2k+ posts)
What happens to chirstian people in our country, oh i forgot they are not even allow to come in kitchen let alone serving food to muslim

Cheap shot , My firend is a christian , no one discriminated with them , atleast no educated pakistani .... What u r talking about r thori , the r kind of athiest........

Night_Hawk

Siasat.pk - Blogger
Thirteen PML-Q ministers allocated portfolios

pml-q-oath543.jpg
Fourteen PML-Q lawmakers took oath as members of the federal cabinet on Monday. — File photo

ISLAMABAD: All ministers except one belonging to the Pakistan Muslim League – Quaid (PML-Q) who took oath as Federal Minister and Minister of State were allocated portfolios on Tuesday.
However, differences were developing within the PML-Q over the allotment of ministries in the federal cabinet, DawnNews reported.
According to a notification issued by the Cabinet Division for seven federal ministers, Chaudhry Pervez Elahi has been given Defence Production and Industries, Anwar Ali Cheema, Health, Makhdoom Syed Faisal Saleh Hayat, Housing and Works, Riaz Hussain Pirzada, Minorities, Chaudhry Wajahat Hussain, Overseas Pakistanis, Ghous Bux Khan Mahar, Privatisation, and Engineer Amir Muqam, Production.
Six Ministers of State have also been allocated portfolios including Sardar Bahadur Khan Sehar (Defence Production), [FONT=&quot]PML (Q) Christian MNA Akram Masih Gill[/FONT] Akram Masih Gill (Health), Raza Hayat Hiraj (Housing and Works), Sheikh Waqas Akram (Overseas Pakistanis), Rana Asif Tauseef (Privatisation) and Sardar Shahjehan Yousaf (Production).

However, portfolio to Minister of State Khawaja Sheeraz Mehmood was not decided so far, according to notification issued by the Cabinet Division.
Also on Tuesday, the PML-Q federal ministers met at the Parliament House under the chairmanship of Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain.
During the PML-Q ministers’ meeting, Ameer Muqam walked out to register his protest.
Speaking to DawnNews, Muqam said he was against the idea of PML-Q joining the government from the start but that he was forced to take the oath on Monday.
He said he was offered a ministry related to “Production” that does not exist.

http://www.dawn.com/2011/05/03/differences-within-pml-q-over-allocation-of-ministries.html

To all the members who are making negative remarks about conditions of Christian in Pakistan, This piece of news item is for you to read.

Raaz

(50k+ posts) بابائے فورم

Yes u r right....we are like that, sorry for that , though our Quran did not said like that , but we dont read that ,,,, that was just to pass under neath it my daughter at her marriage.

We call the christians , ' Choora '... but we wash the toilets in US , UK during our jobs at Tim Horton..coffie shop, or any other place...

Still we are thank full that these people dont name us so bad....and we could earn $$$ and send back our to our children and parents....

Raaz

(50k+ posts) بابائے فورم
Thirteen PML-Q ministers allocated portfolios

pml-q-oath543.jpg
Fourteen PML-Q lawmakers took oath as members of the federal cabinet on Monday. — File photo

ISLAMABAD: All ministers except one belonging to the Pakistan Muslim League – Quaid (PML-Q) who took oath as Federal Minister and Minister of State were allocated portfolios on Tuesday.
However, differences were developing within the PML-Q over the allotment of ministries in the federal cabinet, DawnNews reported.
According to a notification issued by the Cabinet Division for seven federal ministers, Chaudhry Pervez Elahi has been given Defence Production and Industries, Anwar Ali Cheema, Health, Makhdoom Syed Faisal Saleh Hayat, Housing and Works, Riaz Hussain Pirzada, Minorities, Chaudhry Wajahat Hussain, Overseas Pakistanis, Ghous Bux Khan Mahar, Privatisation, and Engineer Amir Muqam, Production.
Six Ministers of State have also been allocated portfolios including Sardar Bahadur Khan Sehar (Defence Production), [FONT=&quot]PML (Q) Christian MNA Akram Masih Gill[/FONT] Akram Masih Gill (Health), Raza Hayat Hiraj (Housing and Works), Sheikh Waqas Akram (Overseas Pakistanis), Rana Asif Tauseef (Privatisation) and Sardar Shahjehan Yousaf (Production).

However, portfolio to Minister of State Khawaja Sheeraz Mehmood was not decided so far, according to notification issued by the Cabinet Division.
Also on Tuesday, the PML-Q federal ministers met at the Parliament House under the chairmanship of Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain.
During the PML-Q ministers’ meeting, Ameer Muqam walked out to register his protest.
Speaking to DawnNews, Muqam said he was against the idea of PML-Q joining the government from the start but that he was forced to take the oath on Monday.
He said he was offered a ministry related to “Production” that does not exist.

http://www.dawn.com/2011/05/03/differences-within-pml-q-over-allocation-of-ministries.html

To all the members who are making negative remarks about conditions of Christian in Pakistan, This piece of news item is for you to read.

Sorry sir , this is not enough evidence that we respect christians....

U know what other would be calling him , او چوڑا , or اکرم چوڑا

We should confess this open hearted that , we dont like them or think equal...but when we go out then we demand that everyone respect us , because we are Pak and Muslim....

R we crazy?

sarbakaf

Siasat.pk - Blogger
You can not blame any one..but ourselves

Our ignorance , illiteracy and divisons among ourselves has managed to make us look like insects.

waisay bhee benazir was pinky , bilawal is bill why can others not follow their leaders.