My feedback after my latest visit to Pakistan

A.G.Uddin

Minister (2k+ posts)
Salaam !

I couldn’t come over on this website/forum for a whole month since I was there in Karachi, Pakistan. My parents were brought up in the city and they as well as I have got a lot of memories from the city of lights. I personally used to live in Muscat, Oman but visited Pakistan every year during vacations so have a slight idea about how life in Pakistan especially Karachi could be. After moving to Canada, travelling to Pakistan every year is not a walk in the park.

In this thread I would like to give my feedback about what I came across in terms of social, psychological and political fabric over there.

AP-BEB-PIA-Pakistan-International-Airlines-Airbus-A310-300_PlanespottersNet_321570.jpg

Travelling through PIA:

First time in my life I would fly with the airlines, and had a chance to experience their customer service. Looking at their quality and behavior of Flight Attendants it’s not hard to determine that they are mostly hired due to some quota, connections or nepotism, anything but merit and qualifications. There was a lack of correspondence within what any employee would say. I would also fly back to Toronto in a PIA flight. Apart from that I think majority of us are aware of the news of scandals and criminal activities where name of PIA was tagged or mentioned.

At Karachi airport, someone took one of our suitcases by mistake and left. I and my mother went straight to the luggage claims office and there what a beautiful sight would await us. This cat was having a lunch right at the entrance and this black cat was roaming around, and I am not sure if either one of them was a pet of the officer/official sitting there recording the complaints / queries. The best or gruesome sight was of this RAT who was jumping over the luggage like Tarzan, yes a RAT. Imagine if any foreigner witnesses such a sight after coming to Pakistan, we were Pakistani Canadians otherwise.

Incidents which would make headlines when I was there:

Saulat.jpg

1. The hanging of Saulat Mirza
I guess both his party as well as the state/establishment would use him for their own motives. I felt bad for his wife since just after three months of their wedding she had to suffer over 15 years of ordeal. However, as Mirza himself would say, he’s a symbol for many others. Now it’s up to all those criminals of MQM and other parties who carry out dirty works on behest of their sponsors and funding sources, if they really want to think about what future may hold for them.

898362-Karachisafoorabusincidentkilled-1433499182-273-640x480.jpg

1. Safoora Attack
I was there in a hospital for my work when this news would flash on television screens over there. It is indeed a matter of great sadness and concerns, what harm has our Ismaili brothers done to anyone. But now Takfiris and brainwashed zealots must be tamed in the language that they understand. However this time, people would shut down their respective businesses while observing a day of mourning, on their own, rather than pressure from any political force.

P2CHA--Z.jpeg

1. Axact scandal
All I could say is that such a scam (or anything you may call it) can’t go on for almost a decade without any blessing and authorization from someone sitting in the higher authorities’ office. The scandal nonetheless may prove to be a detrimental factor for Pakistani institutions and their graduates who want to pursue career overseas. And I don’t pinpoint just Exact and BOL group, the media outlets were acting like cannibals against just one of them and the reason was way better perks that BOL provides its employees with.

Now let’s come to what mindsets and theories I would come across while interacting with people

Ethnic grudges: There’s too much Punjabphobia and other sorts of ethnic prejudices that continue to plague people’s minds. Karachi is indeed going through a lot of crisis in terms of water and electricity and the complaints on behalf of citizens do make sense but does it mean that anyone start abusing Punjabi brothers and declare Sharif brothers the leaders and representatives of whole Punjab? I am from an Urdu Speaking background but don’t consider MQM or Altaf Hussain as my representatives or godfathers.
Sectarianism : Whole interacting with majority of my relatives , hateful and negative thoughts against Shias would come at surface. I don’t want to share whatever remarks they would come up with. But all I could do is you live with your opinions and let me live with my own ideas.

These are slogans which I bump into over there:

Imran Khan Yahudi agent.
Khurshid Shah Shatim-e-Rasool or sometimes even Kafir because of what he would say about Muhajir identity, and the Takfir was done by not some religious group but MQM.
G.A. Altaf (as usual)
Humein manzil nahi rehnuma chahiye (We don’t need a destination but the leader/guide) by MQM
Kafir, Kafir, Shia Kafir
America Murdabad
Zinda hay Bhutto Zinda hay
Zinda hay Khomeini zinda hay (On 7[SUP]th[/SUP] of June it was death anniversary of Ayatoullah Khomeini)
Gutter ka gund , Junaid Deoband

I also bumped into this Masjid beside area of Burns Road where it was clearly written that it is for XYZ Maslik right at the entrance. Is there any end to this sectarian and ethnic warfare ?

Corruption in every walk of life

Whether it’s medical or education department, I would come across stories of cheating and fraud almost everywhere. Clinics and labs were functioning without any proper license and extracting money in the name of X-rays.

I knew this dentist over there that would come over to Canada and practice without any local certification. In the end, he would extract money, trick people and eventually escape to Pakistan. Now he’s running an institute somewhere in Defence area and in his ads he talk about his “qualifications” from Canada whereas I knew the reality, however I couldn’t bump into him anywhere. Those who are living in Karachi can ask me if they want any information about that man.

In education sector, there’s an industry of paper leaks that many people are making money from. Right in front of my eyes, I saw people discussing about handing papers before exams, and even heard about some gentlemen who graduated without even stepping into any college or university, after all who watches games or movies one night before the exams?
And such syndicates now operate with the assistance of certain political parties.

How can Karachi and rest of Pakistan prosper?

Karachi still holds a very important place in my heart and it’s not like I didn’t have a good time over there, I did visit malls etc….including Paari Mall and Clifton beach, and enjoyed the tasty foods over there. And regarding the issues faced by the city, it’s an open secret that a fully functional and strong Local Government has always been the need of the city. People were not wrong when they said that Zaradri Raj has ruined the glamour, lights and beauty of the city. I was there when LG elections in KPK would take place and I also heard certain good things about Imran Khan and the way he reformed the police in KPK

. More administrative divisions are also necessary for Pakistan and with LG system; the funds are distributed at lower levels/layers of power. Regardless of which party the winning candidate is from, at least the mayor or deputy mayor hails from the city or district where he reside so he has a sense of responsibility towards his area after all people from his neighborhood will curse or question him after his tenure gets over.

pak-canada.jpg

Returning back to Pakistan?

Honestly speaking, this decision is hard to make. It’s mostly the fight between my heart and brain. I never really lived in Pakistan, even though I dream about it. But honestly, over 80% of people including my old friends (from Muscat) and relatives would ask me not to even think about moving (back) to Pakistan since its really tough and difficult for overseas Pakistanis like me to come over to my own country and adjust over there. And one needs to think about his career too. Anyways I don’t think there’s a conspiracy to keep me away from Pakistan, after all what harm or benefit can I do if I choose to stay there?

There were certain moments when people whom me and my parents would hold so dear for all these years, would turn into something which we couldn’t expect. You can call it some sort of emotional disappointment but I guess that’s how life is. This family friend of us who now lives in Texas had already told me once that Pakistan is not that Pakistan anymore, it has changed with passage of time and so have people’s attitude and priorities. In short the era of 1980s and 90s is not there anymore and now certain things have changed for worse, and the peace of mind and environment of trust have pretty much vanished

Apart from that I heard about certain cases from our relatives which clearly depicted the downfall of our society. There’s so much greed, deception, falseness and mistrust in Pakistani society of these days that one gets really disturbed with the idea of living in Pakistan. However, I have a dream of living in Pakistan somewhere in my heart and I hope someday I hear about many overseas Pakistanis moving back to Pakistan with the assurance of not getting robbed or harmed.

I would welcome if anyone else on this forum especially the overseas ones, have any good idea about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pathfinder

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
"In short the era of 1980s and 90s is not there anymore and now certain things have changed for worse, and the peace of mind and environment of trust have pretty much vanished"

That is it. I went to Pakistan this year after 15+ years and my goodness it makes you sad
(cry)

sakoon

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
Kia koi acchi baat nazar nahi aai aap ko? ya aap ki misaal bhi us makkhi ki hai jo saray gher mey ja ker sirif baith ti hai to gundagi per. ;) safai usay nazar nahi aati, Wish you would have opened your eyes and saw the beauty too.

Zainsha

hay mulk kay liyay maut, khabeesoon ki hukoomat (Nawaz Khabees)
inn hi ki waja se ho gaya yeh mulk hi barbaaad.

The biggest khabasat of this g@nj@ PM, is that he is cultivating badmaashi.. jo bara systemetic badmaash hai bas wohi kamyab hai...

aliahmad297622

I visit to pakistan i feel good in village see nana Nani kahla cousin sleep in roof get up early halwa puri nan mango Harrisa lasi Tube well oh ve whole place awesome feel good loll

humanity101

well brother I read your post and I am sorry to say that I do not agree with you. I have lived all my life in America or at least most of it. I think the problem with overseas Pakistanis is that they get stuck in an era or their expectations grow to a certain level and then they start comparing themselves to people living in Pakistan. Let me remind you that pakistan is developing and it is not "developed". the bad things that you talk about are present in every society and may be a little more than in our country. My questions to people like you is that why is it that everyone concentrates on bad things, all i heard from you here were complaints. Alhamdulillah I go to Pakistan almost every year or two, and no I am not rich at all. I always love being home and Alhamdulillah first thing I do upon landing is sajdah, along with my brothers. We know that there are problems but at the same time we know that this is our motherland and this is where we came from. Next time when anyone of us see bad things like the ones you mentioned in your post, then please think about what you can do to help these people think or do things the right way. Overseas Pakistanis can talk like this because Allah has given them an opportunity and believe me give the people of Pakistan the same environment and opportunity then you would find a the Pakistan you are looking for. It is the responsibility of people like you and me who have to do something or play even a small role in bringing that change in our society. complaining is not a sign of success or happiness. Learn to love unconditionally with a conscious of identifying wrongdoings and then trying to correct them. Another thing I notice about overseas Pakistanis is that they like to be treated like royals when they go back, so sooner they get over that the happier they be. I LOVE PAKISTAN AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO UNCONDITIONALLY. Take care.

کک باکسر

Minister (2k+ posts)
میں بھی پاکستان کافی سالوں بعد گیا تھا. ایک بات مجھے بہت اچھی لگی کے لوگ مدد کرنے والے ہوتے ہیں. مجھے کافی راستوں کا پتہ نہیں ہوتا تھا تو کسی سے راستہ پوچھ لیتا اور وہ خوش دلی سے بتا دیتے

I also visited after many years. One thing that I really liked was that people over there are helpful. If I didn't know how to get somewhere or got lost, they would gladly help out.

CanPak2

Minister (2k+ posts)
hay mulk kay liyay maut, khabeesoon ki hukoomat (Nawaz Khabees)
inn hi ki waja se ho gaya yeh mulk hi barbaaad.

The biggest khabasat of this g@nj@ PM, is that he is cultivating badmaashi.. jo bara systemetic badmaash hai bas wohi kamyab hai...
Jab ek bandooq wala bandooq kay zore per qabza karta hay ek ligitimate govt ko dismiss Kar kay, tu badmaashi tu neechay tak jaee gi.

mohammadi

Minister (2k+ posts)
Kia koi acchi baat nazar nahi aai aap ko? ya aap ki misaal bhi us makkhi ki hai jo saray gher mey ja ker sirif baith ti hai to gundagi per. ;) safai usay nazar nahi aati, Wish you would have opened your eyes and saw the beauty too.
he visited karachi bro, what do you expect

mohammadi

Minister (2k+ posts)
main last year peshawar aur lahore gaya tha aur bohat maza aaya, yaar dost rishtaydaar aur meri piyaari ami jaan. i also took pia and i found it ok, much better than air canada

Farazmsn

Citizen
Dear A.G.Uddin,

I readyour complete post, honestly speaking just by reading heading, I wasanticipating negativity & I wasn't wrong either. I reckon insecurity hasbeen creeping up as the days progressing. Every visit I have had an additionalissue to confront with. It started with mobile snatching, robbing etc & allthe usual threats.

I wasalways fond of eating outside but this wish has also been gone to vain duevarious news about dead animal meat, donkey meat & meat of seriously illanimal, it's simply pathetic & inhumane.

Basedon my experience, majority of expat would love to return Pakistan. Everyoneunderstands the challenges of living abroad, in current situation living abroaddo have a huge edge but only we can hope for a better situation in Pakistan.

Iwould love to see at least, basic necessities of life accessible without anyhindrance. I would love to see equal opportunities, merit & welfare systemfor poor. I would love to see justice across the board. Most of all, I wouldlove to see change in people's mindset.

Currently,people start picking on Politician for corruption & anything bad happeningto the society. However corruption is everywhere & it's becoming a fashion.

Whyblame politician if we're selling dead meat?
Whyblame politician if we're selling rat meat?
Whyblame politician if we're taking & giving bribe?
Whyblame politician if we're not supply pure milk?
Whyblame politician if we're block pedestrian access?
Whyblame politician if we hate each other, hate each other beliefs?

Thesepoints can go on & on.

Even aboutpolitician, we have been electing those people who can't even mention one goodthing which they did for People of Pakistan. They have been making us fool& we love to be tagged as fool so there shouldn't be any complaint.

Tomake story short, we need to correct us as an individual before we startpicking on any other person, organization or group of people.

Thereis nothing stopping us being good Human Being

ranajunaid

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
For Karachi this is a good read and i would love to see similar review of Lahore in same way.

I myself have lived Karachi until last year moved to Lahore due to work. Lahore is much better and no body has ever made me feel like am a Karachi bhaiyaaa.

This mindset of punjabphobia is very wrong at public level and credit goes to MQM for this. There might be a problem at federal level which also happens in Karachi.

baaghi01

Senator (1k+ posts)
I hope people change for good. I wanna move back n start my family there but it looks a dream. But kia karain PHIR BHI DIL HAI PAKISTANI

desan

President (40k+ posts)
Hopefully, KP will turn out to be the last refuge for homesick ex-pat community until justice is dished out to Zer & Ganj...

sabirmughal

Minister (2k+ posts)
my last visit to Pakistan in sept last year and it was same like yours

I moved to Canada from Dubai and it 8 months now in Vancouver

whatever good or bad about Pakistan but still I miss my country .... country is good but unfortunately we have monsters ruller like PMLn ppp

Zia Hydari

عموما بیرون ملک پلٹ پاکستانی، لمبی لمبی چھوڑتے ہیں، اور یہ باور کراتے ہیں کہ وہ اعلیٰ معیاری زندگی گذار رہے ہیں، جبکہ ایسا نہیں ہے، میں نے دنیا کے کئی ممالک دیکھے ہیں۔ سوائے کینیڈا اور سوئزرلینڈ کے، کسی بھی ملک کے لوگوں کا معیار زندگی اتنا اعلیٰ نہیں ہے۔

famamdani

Minister (2k+ posts)
عموما بیرون ملک پلٹ پاکستانی، لمبی لمبی چھوڑتے ہیں، اور یہ باور کراتے ہیں کہ وہ اعلیٰ معیاری زندگی گذار رہے ہیں، جبکہ ایسا نہیں ہے، میں نے دنیا کے کئی ممالک دیکھے ہیں۔ سوائے کینیڈا اور سوئزرلینڈ کے، کسی بھی ملک کے لوگوں کا معیار زندگی اتنا اعلیٰ نہیں ہے۔

you are right almost both of them have better social system in own country and not involve in world political issues.....and population also good educated...............(bigsmile)

jaypakistan

Minister (2k+ posts)
next time when u come to pakistan , try to live in islamabad , murree , abbotabad , lahore etc ur life would be much better and u ll enjoy more over here. when i moved from canada to islamabad pakistan i didnt had hard time in adjusting bec i already knew how pak was and how things work over here . only prob was load shedding and hot weather but i got used to that as well. But when ever i go to karachi from islamabad , i find it very difficult to live there. i get sick within a few days , plus its very crowded , congested , law n order situation , punjabi/pathan/mohajar thing etc . Luckily isbd is very peaceful and people from all over pak live here together and live peacefully . Islamabad is the best city for overseas pakistanis.

jaypakistan

Minister (2k+ posts)
mayar e zindagi sab ki average hai woh countries mai kanoon he aysa hai ke sab ko jo barabar rakhne ki koshish karay , aur wahan par average balky below average bhe koi ho toh usko ko muyasar facilities or pak mai muyasar facilities ko match karo toh pata chal jay ga.... yahan aik metro bani nahi sab ***** ho rahy hain . wahan is tarah ki busses har stop par chalti hain aur kisi ko parwah he nahi hoti , woh bhi khali he chalti hain hardly 1 se le kar 10 bandy hoty hain buss mai .