Why is Pakistan's army chief all over social media? BBC

ussmman

Banned

Is the army general more popular than the prime minister in Pakistan and what does that means for democracy? BBC Urdu's Amber Shamsi investigates.

Just off the main road between the political capital and army headquarters lies a ramshackle set of houses.
They're new builds but shoddily constructed. The mosque is no different.
But it has a grand title - it has been named after Pakistan's current army chief General Raheel Sharif.
"We want General Raheel Sharif to help us catch the land grabbers and land mafia," says a young bearded man on his way to prayers.

Many Pakistanis seem to see General Raheel Sharif as a messiah who is saving the country from terrorism, corruption and all manner of social ills.

_86485080_withlion.gif

Image copyrightSocial mediaImage caption

One of the memes on social media honouring the generalWizened truck-art painter Habibur Rehman is one of them.

He has been decorating trucks in the traditional Pakistani way since 1955, where intricate patterns of flowers and birds are combined with political messaging.

I ask him who his favourite leaders are.
"Benazir Bhutto is my all-time favourite," he says, swiftly mentioning her father Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto as his number two choice.
He then lists former presidents and military rulers Generals Ayub Khan, Zia-ul Haq and Yahya Khan.
I ask whether General Raheel Sharif makes the cut.
He raises his hand as if to the sky.
"Given the demand for him now and if he keeps performing well as a leader, he could even surpass the other five."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-34637358

Last edited by a moderator:

ThirdUmpireFinger

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
ISPR only job is to portrait Raheel just like Saddam was a hero of all muslims. ISPR other job is to scare media that much that they can only praise and nothing else. Bajwa is in US to take pictures and post them on social media and order media to project them like Raheel is in US to win battle against Pakistan and Islam.

Onlypakistan

Pakistanio nae raheel shareef sae umeed lagai hooi ha ,civil government to pakistan k mesail hal kernae mae buri tara nakam ho chuki ha.ager hamarey hukmaran chahaen to raheel sae mil ker halat behter ker saktey haen

Admiral

ہمارے سیاستدان تو غیر ملکی ہیں، جو بسلسلہ روزگار پاکستان میں مقیم ہیں
جب ان بیچاروں کا روزگار چھن جاتا ہے ، تو یہ واپس اپنے اپنے ملکوں کو بھاگ جاتے ہیں

جس طرح نواز شریف سعودیہ، پھر انگلینڈ
الطاف، انگلینڈ میں
زرداری، دبئی میں
وغیرہ وغیرہ

Last edited:

ThirdUmpireFinger

Pakistanio nae raheel shareef sae umeed lagai hooi ha ,civil government to pakistan k mesail hal kernae mae buri tara nakam ho chuki ha.ager hamarey hukmaran chahaen to raheel sae mil ker halat behter ker saktey haen

For your information he is appointed by civilian otherwise he was there in army when army was ruling and making jihadi groups and giving basis to US.

ThirdUmpireFinger

Wouldn't go there. But he has somewhat established peace in Pak. He should take over the Govt.

He should take over the government and turn Pakistan into an an another Syria? Raheel has respect because he is a General but he can become zero the next day if goes against his oath. People will call him dog just like they call General Ayub when he took over Pakistan.

ussmman

Banned
ISPR only job is to portrait Raheel just like Saddam was a hero of all muslims. ISPR other job is to scare media that much that they can only praise and nothing else. Bajwa is in US to take pictures and post them on social media and order media to project them like Raheel is in US to win battle against Pakistan and Islam.

According to you this civilians govt. Is capable of tackling all the terrorism in country. Who took bold steps to end all that.?

ThirdUmpireFinger

According to you this civilians govt. Is capable of tackling all the terrorism in country. Who took bold steps to end all that.?

Civilian government took the bold steps along with judiciary. Army can not do anything without political backing otherwise army was ruling for 40 years and these were army General who were creating these Jihadi groups.

Raheel should hang those Generals who created these Groups which destroyed our Pakistan. It is us civilians are paying cost of this war not DHA.

ASQR1

Wouldn't go there. But he has somewhat established peace in Pak. He should take over the Govt.

So you think he is not a true Muslim, you might know something i do not, but i believe that all that true act is based on him being true Muslim.enlighten us.

ThirdUmpireFinger

Now French troops are on Paris roads protecting their country so French army chief should take over? No body even know who is French army chief but still troops are doing their job because they do not have ISPR posting pictures and tweeting about their chief on social media.

If any Generals thinks he is popular then he should retire and take part in election rather than destroying army for self projection and hunger for power. Raheel is good General as long as he is General but if he involve in politics then he will turn into a dog just like General Ayub was called dog.

Last edited:

ASQR1

He is a True Pakistani. That's all I can say.

If you cannot say it than it is not worth saying, all i know is that he comes from a family of great fighters and great patriotic Pakistanis, when i read his breathers story of his last resting place and the wish that he made before his shadahat was very moving. tell me that if this not so.

Omrkhan

Minister (2k+ posts)
If you cannot say it than it is not worth saying, all i know is that he comes from a family of great fighters and great patriotic Pakistanis, when i read his breathers story of his last resting place and the wish that he made before his shadahat was very moving. tell me that if this not so.

Jazbati na hu. I take him more as a Kamal Ata Turk.
All I know is we are a Nation State. If we have to fight Iran we will, Bangaldesh or whatever Country. Irrespective of their faith.
Pakistan protects Itself. Pakistan take care of It's Interests over others which Includes Muslim Countries.

ASQR1

Pakistan is a land like any other land, and is made excellent or bad by its leaders, and in this day and age Raheel has done tremendous. we need such leader more so. and want these other politicians to learn from him.

That is the crux of the matter, and it need to be learned and applied. before it is too late.

syedalam1991

MPA (400+ posts)
Civilian government took the bold steps along with judiciary. Army can not do anything without political backing otherwise army was ruling for 40 years and these were army General who were creating these Jihadi groups.

Raheel should hang those Generals who created these Groups which destroyed our Pakistan. It is us civilians are paying cost of this war not DHA.

There should be limit on how much you lie (or how unaware you are). During the Dharna, when all these crooked and corrupt politicians gathered in the parliament, one of PMLN dog, Achak Zai, did a speech. In that speech he said " "Army kon hoti hai humay bolnay wali kay Force mat use kiya jaya in Dharna walon kay sath, jub humnay bolay kay Talaiban kay sath negotiation ho tou Army nay humsay poochay baigair operation shuroo kar diya" On this statement, the Ganjaaaa Prime Minister nooded the yes gesture. Hope its clear to you that who took the bold steps, just stop lying.

Onlypakistan

for your information he is appointed by civilian otherwise he was there in army when army was ruling and making jihadi groups and giving basis to us.

ye civilian kabi bi merit per appoint nai kertey balkey is leye k ye hamarey leye kitna loyal ho ga.
Yahee corrupt log in ko madakhlat ki dawat daetey haen.pakistani aik masoom qaum ha jis ko jahan sae bi umeed ki zara
se kiran nazar aati ha us k pechey chal padrtey haen bad mae pata chalta ha k ye corrupt bi pehlon ki tara ha