"As an Emirati, I feel unstoppable, invincible, empowered -"

Solomon2

MPA (400+ posts)
We Need This Change in the Arab World
by Sara Al Nuaimi
August 23, 2020 at 4:30 am

• "What is the difference between a Jewish person and an Israeli?" my mother, a religious and traditional Emirati, asked.
  • "Well," she said, "when they start coming here, we shall get to know them better."
  • For women trapped in the dogma of tradition, half in-half out, adventurous but guilt-stricken, we now feel proud of the choices we made to carve a niche for ourselves, because this niche is the new center. We can finally be ourselves and create the lives we wanted: to be out in the world, not in the confinements of a golden cage.
  • There was for so long the mantra of "Israel is the enemy." It was a mantra that people could not break out of and that they believed without proof. These people are now quiet. We need this change in the Arab world. It has taken so long to come.
785.jpg

The United Arab Emirates is making peace with Israel to inspire cultural, religious and political reform; they are visionary leaders, statesmen. The UAE saw that accepting Israel and negating the ideology that negated Israel was part of moving forward. Pictured: The skyline of Abu Dhabi, UAE. (Photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images)

It was easier than we thought, that joint statement of the United Arab Emirates, Israel and the United States.

There were so many steps that were skipped, though: you can tell by reading on Twitter the voices of opposition from other countries that were in shock at the news.

They resist the possibility, but to us, now that we are capable of acknowledging the peace that was created, the opposition feels no bigger than ants with puny pincers.

This is perhaps the first time that peace has happened without a war. It is peace for the sake of peace.

As an Emirati, I feel unstoppable, invincible, empowered. I can now breathe freely. I have another life to fall on instead of the limiting social construct of religion and tradition that was stifling women who were neither religious or traditional, just open-minded and easygoing with whomever crossed their path.

Decades living in the Emirates contrasted with six years in California. There I tasted something alien, where you could enjoy the moment -- but it felt short-lived. When I returned home, I walked back into thick, hot, humid, culture-shocked air. Now, we have imported a slice of California.

"What is the difference between a Jewish person and an Israeli?" my mother, a religious and traditional Emirati, asked. "One," I tell her, "is a religion, the other is a nationality." Trying to bridge the familiar with the unfamiliar, I reminded her of a friend who is Arab-Muslim Israeli. With a turn of her head, she replied, "Well, when they start coming here, we shall get to know them better." I will ask her if she would go there instead.

My cousin called. "Congratulations!" she said. "You know what for, right? Next trip, Tel Aviv!" Emiratis love a thing called tourism, especially to escape the summer heat. I imagine a swoon of liberal Emirati women on the beaches of Tel Aviv with their designer bikinis and sunglasses. I am looking forward to being one of those women.

For women trapped in the dogma of tradition, half in-half out, adventurous but guilt-stricken, we now feel proud of the choices we made to carve a niche for ourselves, because this niche is the new center. We can finally be ourselves and create the lives we really wanted: to be out in the world, not in the confinements of a golden cage. All those desires that we were told to reject as absurd were apparently far from it. We now feel we are full participants in creating a new society, our society that is no longer in the margin. It is a fantasy come true.

We are similar to Israelis in so many different ways, but it takes a very bold and exciting step to see it. My friend, Sarah said she is proud that her Jewish-sounding name might allow her easily to fit in as an Israeli.

The shift is deep but just the beginning.

Fifteen years ago, working for the crown prince of Abu Dhabi, I resigned because I didn't think much of working for a government entity. What the crown prince just did, please understand, took an immense amount of courage.

The nature of the UAE-Israel statement is different from Jordan's 26 years ago. Making peace with Israel then meant restoring stability for some time and suspending war. By contrast, the UAE is making peace with Israel to inspire cultural, religious and political reform; they are visionary leaders, statesmen. The UAE saw that accepting Israel and negating the ideology that negated Israel was part of moving forward.

I see myself praying at the synagogue now being built in Abu Dhabi in the Abrahamic Family House along with a church and a mosque. These beautiful modern pieces of architecture will be near one another in the same compound, so that a Muslim like me can perform rituals in all three. And I would openly offer my heart and my soul to the roots of this Abrahamic friendship.

There was for so long the mantra of "Israel is the enemy." It was a mantra that people could not break out of and that they believed without proof. These people are now quiet. We need this change in the Arab world. It has taken so long to come.

Sara Al Nuaimi is an Emirati lady, a Muslim and a cultural activist based in Abu Dhabi. Follow her on Twitter @saranuaimi.

thayab

Voter (50+ posts)
The Noble Qur'an: "O you who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians as Auliya' (friends, protectors, helpers, etc.), they are but Auliya' to one another. And if any amongst you takes them as Auliya', then surely he is one of them. Verily, Allah guides not those people who are the Zalimun (polytheists and wrongdoers and unjust)." May Allah raise you with you with your auliya.

Abu Abdul Samad Khan

MPA (400+ posts)
what is UAE? What advamtages it have in comparative national power with lets say Oman. Only money.... no industrial capability, no size, no ideology, no population. It is doing every thing on instigation when from inner side its not even close to be a power in gulf region

stoic

Minister (2k+ posts)
We Need This Change in the Arab World
by Sara Al Nuaimi
August 23, 2020 at 4:30 am

• "What is the difference between a Jewish person and an Israeli?" my mother, a religious and traditional Emirati, asked.
  • "Well," she said, "when they start coming here, we shall get to know them better."
  • For women trapped in the dogma of tradition, half in-half out, adventurous but guilt-stricken, we now feel proud of the choices we made to carve a niche for ourselves, because this niche is the new center. We can finally be ourselves and create the lives we wanted: to be out in the world, not in the confinements of a golden cage.
  • There was for so long the mantra of "Israel is the enemy." It was a mantra that people could not break out of and that they believed without proof. These people are now quiet. We need this change in the Arab world. It has taken so long to come.
785.jpg

The United Arab Emirates is making peace with Israel to inspire cultural, religious and political reform; they are visionary leaders, statesmen. The UAE saw that accepting Israel and negating the ideology that negated Israel was part of moving forward. Pictured: The skyline of Abu Dhabi, UAE. (Photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images)

It was easier than we thought, that joint statement of the United Arab Emirates, Israel and the United States.

There were so many steps that were skipped, though: you can tell by reading on Twitter the voices of opposition from other countries that were in shock at the news.

They resist the possibility, but to us, now that we are capable of acknowledging the peace that was created, the opposition feels no bigger than ants with puny pincers.

This is perhaps the first time that peace has happened without a war. It is peace for the sake of peace.

As an Emirati, I feel unstoppable, invincible, empowered. I can now breathe freely. I have another life to fall on instead of the limiting social construct of religion and tradition that was stifling women who were neither religious or traditional, just open-minded and easygoing with whomever crossed their path.

Decades living in the Emirates contrasted with six years in California. There I tasted something alien, where you could enjoy the moment -- but it felt short-lived. When I returned home, I walked back into thick, hot, humid, culture-shocked air. Now, we have imported a slice of California.

"What is the difference between a Jewish person and an Israeli?" my mother, a religious and traditional Emirati, asked. "One," I tell her, "is a religion, the other is a nationality." Trying to bridge the familiar with the unfamiliar, I reminded her of a friend who is Arab-Muslim Israeli. With a turn of her head, she replied, "Well, when they start coming here, we shall get to know them better." I will ask her if she would go there instead.

My cousin called. "Congratulations!" she said. "You know what for, right? Next trip, Tel Aviv!" Emiratis love a thing called tourism, especially to escape the summer heat. I imagine a swoon of liberal Emirati women on the beaches of Tel Aviv with their designer bikinis and sunglasses. I am looking forward to being one of those women.

For women trapped in the dogma of tradition, half in-half out, adventurous but guilt-stricken, we now feel proud of the choices we made to carve a niche for ourselves, because this niche is the new center. We can finally be ourselves and create the lives we really wanted: to be out in the world, not in the confinements of a golden cage. All those desires that we were told to reject as absurd were apparently far from it. We now feel we are full participants in creating a new society, our society that is no longer in the margin. It is a fantasy come true.

We are similar to Israelis in so many different ways, but it takes a very bold and exciting step to see it. My friend, Sarah said she is proud that her Jewish-sounding name might allow her easily to fit in as an Israeli.

The shift is deep but just the beginning.

Fifteen years ago, working for the crown prince of Abu Dhabi, I resigned because I didn't think much of working for a government entity. What the crown prince just did, please understand, took an immense amount of courage.

The nature of the UAE-Israel statement is different from Jordan's 26 years ago. Making peace with Israel then meant restoring stability for some time and suspending war. By contrast, the UAE is making peace with Israel to inspire cultural, religious and political reform; they are visionary leaders, statesmen. The UAE saw that accepting Israel and negating the ideology that negated Israel was part of moving forward.

I see myself praying at the synagogue now being built in Abu Dhabi in the Abrahamic Family House along with a church and a mosque. These beautiful modern pieces of architecture will be near one another in the same compound, so that a Muslim like me can perform rituals in all three. And I would openly offer my heart and my soul to the roots of this Abrahamic friendship.

There was for so long the mantra of "Israel is the enemy." It was a mantra that people could not break out of and that they believed without proof. These people are now quiet. We need this change in the Arab world. It has taken so long to come.

Adeel Why is siasat.pk allowing anit-muslim far right propaganda being posted here

Gatestone Institute is a far-right think tank known for publishing anti-Muslim articles. It was founded in 2008 by Nina Rosenwald, who serves as its president. Former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations and former national security advisor, John R. Bolton, was its chairman from 2013 to March 2018.

stoic

Minister (2k+ posts)
Adeel Siasat.pk is fast becoming a fake news platform

John Bolton Chairs an Actual “Fake News” Publisher Infamous for Spreading Anti-Muslim Hate
Bolton is chair of the Gatestone Institute, a nonprofit that publishes commentary and news on the supposed threat Islam poses to the West.

Solomon2

MPA (400+ posts)
The Noble Qur'an: "O you who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians as Auliya' (friends, protectors, helpers, etc.), they are but Auliya' to one another. And if any amongst you takes them as Auliya', then surely he is one of them. Verily, Allah guides not those people who are the Zalimun (polytheists and wrongdoers and unjust)." May Allah raise you with you with your auliya.
You omitted the previous two lines:

So judge between them by that which Allah hath revealed, and follow not their desires, but beware of them lest they seduce thee from some part of that which Allah hath revealed unto thee. And if they turn away, then know that Allah's Will is to smite them for some sin of theirs. Lo! many of mankind are evil-livers. Do they want judgments that are issued out of ignorance? Who is a better judge for the people whose belief is based on certainty, than God?

So is it really enough to "believe" to pass judgment if you are being selective about the evidence? Or is "truth" some sort of cafeteria line where you only pick and choose that which pleases your appetites?

thayab

Voter (50+ posts)
You omitted the previous two lines:

So judge between them by that which Allah hath revealed, and follow not their desires, but beware of them lest they seduce thee from some part of that which Allah hath revealed unto thee. And if they turn away, then know that Allah's Will is to smite them for some sin of theirs. Lo! many of mankind are evil-livers. Do they want judgments that are issued out of ignorance? Who is a better judge for the people whose belief is based on certainty, than God?

So is it really enough to "believe" to pass judgment if you are being selective about the evidence? Or is "truth" some sort of cafeteria line where you only pick and choose that which pleases your appetites?
You need to further research this so you can attain the truth. The subjects in the two aforementioned lines don't detract from what's said later. It clearly admonishes those following their desires. I have no issues with a person wanting to wear a bikini on the beach and then worship in various temples. What they do in their private life is not my problem. However when they bring their contradictory desires and intentions into the public space whilst claiming to be Muslim, then this needs to be addressed and challenged.

Solomon2

MPA (400+ posts)
You need to further research this so you can attain the truth. The subjects in the two aforementioned lines don't detract from what's said later. It clearly admonishes those following their desires.
So judge between them by that which Allah hath revealed, and follow not their desires, but beware of them lest they seduce thee from some part of that which Allah hath revealed unto thee. And if they turn away, then know that Allah's Will is to smite them for some sin of theirs. Lo! many of mankind are evil-livers. Do they want judgments that are issued out of ignorance? Who is a better judge for the people whose belief is based on certainty, than God? O you who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians as Auliya' (friends, protectors, helpers, etc.), they are but Auliya' to one another. And if any amongst you takes them as Auliya', then surely he is one of them. Verily, Allah guides not those people who are the Zalimun (polytheists and wrongdoers and unjust). And thou seest those in whose heart is a disease race toward them, saying: We fear lest a change of fortune befall us. And it may happen that Allah will vouchsafe (unto thee) the victory, or a commandment from His presence. Then will they repent them of their secret thoughts.

Examine the context: is Muhammed giving a command "take not the Jews and the Christians as Auliya" or mocking those who hypocritically say such things, pointing out that the hypocrites lack Allah's guidance?

Do you think the answer is in the English interpretation as much as in the Arabic - and in Arabic you have to know what is alliterative vs. what is plain, yes? How likely is it that the original alliterative meaning, if any, has been lost or distorted over the centuries - or even within a few years after this passage was uttered by Muhammed?

thayab

Voter (50+ posts)
I think you should clear any doubts you have over this with a scholar who can quote historical sources from the first three generations. Otherwise provarecating on what the possible meaning could be serves no end as no evidence is being presented.

Solomon2

MPA (400+ posts)
I think you should clear any doubts you have over this with a scholar who can quote historical sources from the first three generations.
Uh-uh. Your religion, not mine. While as an outsider I can raise questions, it's up to you to justify interpretation of your holy texts to yourself.

Otherwise provarecating on what the possible meaning could be serves no end as no evidence is being presented.
What is the possible meaning of "provarecating"? Is that even a word?

thayab

Voter (50+ posts)
You quite clearly came across as a non Muslim the way you quoted the name of my prophet. You can Google the word I used and
also learn English that way(my first language), If you want to cast doubts on islamic text then seek knowledge first instead of wasting people's time on here. Here endeth the lesson.